Kane Ioane DC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Kane Ioane DC

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kane Ioane DC

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm

These coaching staff additions accompany internal moves. Choate affirmed that Matt Miller remains as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with Kyle Risinger moving from safeties coach to cornerbacks, and he indicated the process of filling the defensive staff is underway. "We look to hire a veteran coach for our linebackers who will assist in raise this defense to a level of dominance."
Kane will coach safeties. Kyle will coach corners (already in the room with them anyway). Looking to add a "veteran" LB coach to fill out the staff. Before people throw out Roger Cooper's name, he is currently the defensive coordinator at ISU so that would be a step down. Jody Owens maybe? Bobby Daly laterally moving from Idaho? Dane Fletcher perhaps?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:05 pm

We are experiencing technical difficulties at Skyline Sports. Basically the site got re-routed and is in the process of getting back on track. We are aware of the issue. In the meantime, here's the release from MSU.

BOZEMAN, Montana – Montana State’s 2019 football coaching staff began taking shape Wednesday, when Jeff Choate announced the hiring of two coaches with different degrees of experience in Bobcat Stadium.

Kane Ioane, a four-time Bobcat All-America who spent the last two seasons as a quality control analyst at the University of Washington, returns to his alma mater as defensive coordinator and safeties coach. Erik Frazier, who visited Bozeman last season as Western Illinois’ receivers coach, joins Montana State’s staff in the same capacity. Both hires are pending background checks.

“I’m excited to add two coaches with experience and proven success,” Choate said. “These situations provide an opportunity to move forward, and I believe Kane and Erik help our program do that.”

One of Bobcat football’s legendary figures, Ioane returns to the program he helped revive as a player and reshape as an assistant coach. The 2003 Big Sky Conference Defensive Player of the Year, Ioane led the Cats to back-to-back Big Sky titles in his final two seasons as a player and was part of the MSU coaching staff in some capacity from 2004-16. He rose to the position of defensive coordinator in 2015, and coached under Mike Kramer, Rob Ash and Choate. At Washington, Ioane worked as a defensive analyst with two one-time Bobcat coaches, co-defensive coordinators Pete Kwiatkowski and Jimmy Lake.

“Kane was here for a long time with a high degree of success,” Choate said. “He has tremendous experience at this level, and clearly he’s been deeply involved in every aspect of defensive game planning at the best defensive program in the Pac 12 in the last five years. One thing I’ve learned in my time here is the value of having former Bobcat players on the staff. When DeNarius McGhee talks to recruits about his experience as a player here the passion and sincerity have impact. I’m extremely fortunate to bring him back to Montana State.”

Choate said Ioane’s experience at Washington was an unparalleled growth opportunity. “Part of what made his opportunity at Washington so attractive was his exposure to great teachers and new ideas, but what Washington does aligns perfectly with what we do. We’ve made progress at affecting the quarterback and creating turnovers, but there’s room for growth in getting teams off the field on third down. Kane brings answers to some of our issues while providing continuity.”

Frazier helped construct a balanced Leathernecks passing attack in 2018, when three receivers racked up at least 600 receiver yards and three had at least 40 catches. Senior receiver Isaiah LeSure (615 receiving yards) was named Second Team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference, while junior receiver John Brunner (625 receiving yards) was named to the All-MVFC Newcomer Team.

Frazier comes to MSU from Western Illinois, where he spent one season at Western Illinois after working as a graduate assistant at Northwestern University. He previously work at Dayton (receivers coach, 2016) and Delaware Valley (coaching receivers in 2014, adding quarterbacks to his responsibilities in 2015). A native of Philadelphia, Frazier served internships with the Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs, and was a Division II All-America at Kutztown University in 2011. He earned his Bachelor’s in Sports Management from that school in 2011, and his Master’s in Policy Studies from Delaware Valley in 2016.

“Erik is a really sharp young coach,” Choate said. “Throughout the process we kept coming back to him as a really good fit for our program. He has good experience coaching receivers and a very detailed approach to receiver play. He’ll bring a lot of ideas to the table and will be a good asset in helping Matt move our offensive forward.”

These coaching staff additions accompany internal moves. Choate affirmed that Matt Miller remains as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with Kyle Risinger moving from safeties coach to cornerbacks, and he indicated the process of filling the defensive staff is underway. “We look to hire a veteran coach for our linebackers who will assist in raise this defense to a level of dominance.”

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm
These coaching staff additions accompany internal moves. Choate affirmed that Matt Miller remains as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with Kyle Risinger moving from safeties coach to cornerbacks, and he indicated the process of filling the defensive staff is underway. "We look to hire a veteran coach for our linebackers who will assist in raise this defense to a level of dominance."
Kane will coach safeties. Kyle will coach corners (already in the room with them anyway). Looking to add a "veteran" LB coach to fill out the staff. Before people throw out Roger Cooper's name, he is currently the defensive coordinator at ISU so that would be a step down. Jody Owens maybe? Bobby Daly laterally moving from Idaho? Dane Fletcher perhaps?
Jody was a graduate assistant at UW. Does anyone know if he is done this semester or next?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm

I'm stoked about this. Good luck Kane!

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Coach Choate: Hey Coach, is Kane ready?
Coach Petersen:Image

*Edit: Better?
Last edited by RobertCats on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Coach Choate: Hey Coach, is Kane ready?
Coach Petersen:Image
Somebody get this filth off of this site.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
The other guy that crossed my mind was clay bignell. I think he’s currently a QC guy at Notre Dame.

I’d also like to think Joey Thomas is still in the mix.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
I love the pedigree of all those guys and how much they understand MSU, but are any of them "veteran" enough as LB coaches?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Didn't Owens give up a high school HC job to come back to MSU for what ended up being Ash's last season?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
The other guy that crossed my mind was clay bignell. I think he’s currently a QC guy at Notre Dame.

Was Joey ever in the mix?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

He was in the conversation on here, and most of us (or maybe it's just me) don't know the difference between the conversation and the mix!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

My mix? Yes.

Choate’s mix? I have no idea.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Just a couple of thoughts on Kane as DC and his failed previous stint. Defence is has SO much to do with culture. I am not going to bash Ash because I loved the job he did but there is no doubt that there was a problem with the culture. That is not something that Kane could change very easily with the situation that he was in. The turn around in our D the first year was largely a result in culture. I like a lot of the schemes that Kane tried to implement. It was more aggressive and was taken from Coach K from Washington if I remember right. I think that he went out there for training during the offseason. This time around I think that we will see a vastly different outcome. I also think that Choate will have his hand in the D. Welcome back Kane.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 pm

INCREDIBLE happy news! Excited to see Kane back!

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

This is the only hire that could’ve snapped me out of my Gregorakian doldrum.

Very exciting news!

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Didn't Owens give up a high school HC job to come back to MSU for what ended up being Ash's last season?
That is what I recall.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 am

Congrats to Kane. I've long said that he was sent away to learn from someone else, see someone else's culture etc. and was always meant to come back as the DC.

Hes a passionate dude that connects well with players and recruits (from everything i've heard). I'm sure he learned an amazing amount at UW and will come in prepared.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level