Gregorak?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Gregorak?

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Good take from Gus Tootell here in this week's Big Sky Breakdown on Gregorak's departure

BIG SKY BREAKDOWN TIMES

Kendal Manuel – 1:40

Travis DeCuire – 8:22

Shannon Schweyen – 16:53

Ryan Tootell – 24:17

Andrew Houghton – 53:30

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Good take from Gus Tootell here in this week's Big Sky Breakdown on Gregorak's departure

BIG SKY BREAKDOWN TIMES

Kendal Manuel – 1:40

Travis DeCuire – 8:22

Shannon Schweyen – 16:53

Ryan Tootell – 24:17

Andrew Houghton – 53:30
This does not give any new insight into why Gregorak is no longer the DC. It does point out that Ty's departure certainly did not catch Choate by surprise and the Ioane hire was a done deal at the time Gregorak's departure went public.

I also found it interesting that the defensive scheme the Cats have used for the last three years is Choate's (from Chris Petersen) and not Gregorak's.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 pm
This is on Jeff and egos.
I really really hope this isn't the case. I really don't want a decade of turnover because Choate can't get a long with the other kiddies...
Its his team....so the assistants need to be the one to follow suit. Challenging the head coach can be constructive but can also be a huge detriment.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm

I see nothing wrong with it being about egos. When two people aren't rowing the same direction, you can't keep trying to make it work. Doesn't mean Ty's direction was wrong, it just means it wasn't 100% in sync with Choate. It's Choate's program, and the reality is that everybody needs to adapt to his vision, not him to theirs.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:37 pm
What was the best offense MSU shut down the last three seasons?
Moved this discussion from the Montana Recruits thread. MSU's defense did a relatively good job of holding opposing offenses under their average during Ty's tenure, specifically in the points scored category. But in all honesty, the best performance was in 2016 against the Griz. They were the #2 offense in 2016 in the Big Sky and they struggled all day other than first possession. Held them to 305 yards and 23 points when they averaged 482 yards and 40 points per game that season. As far as other offenses, Idaho State always struggled to score points against Gregorak-coached MSU defenses. Never felt he called great games against EWU for those three years. Did fairly well against all run-heavy teams. Got to face Case Cookus in 2017 (he didn't start the game in 2016) and those results were also mixed (gave up 37 points and a boatload of yards). So yeah....you could say Ty's crowning moments as MSU's defensive coordinator were each time he faced UM.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:35 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm
So yeah....you could say Ty's crowning moments as MSU's defensive coordinator were each time he faced UM.
Works for me.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Moved this discussion from the Montana Recruits thread. MSU's defense did a relatively good job of holding opposing offenses under their average during Ty's tenure, specifically in the points scored category. But in all honesty, the best performance was in 2016 against the Griz. They were the #2 offense in 2016 in the Big Sky and they struggled all day other than first possession. Held them to 305 yards and 23 points when they averaged 482 yards and 40 points per game that season. As far as other offenses, Idaho State always struggled to score points against Gregorak-coached MSU defenses. Never felt he called great games against EWU for those three years. Did fairly well against all run-heavy teams. Got to face Case Cookus in 2017 (he didn't start the game in 2016) and those results were also mixed (gave up 37 points and a boatload of yards). So yeah....you could say Ty's crowning moments as MSU's defensive coordinator were each time he faced UM.
I'd also posit that the best part of Gregorak as DC was (in most cases) his halftime adjustments. His defenses seemed to play pretty vanilla and sometimes gave up quite a bit in the first quarter or half, but after halftime seemed to really shine and shut opponents down.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm

kmax wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I'd also posit that the best part of Gregorak as DC was (in most cases) his halftime adjustments. His defenses seemed to play pretty vanilla and sometimes gave up quite a bit in the first quarter or half, but after halftime seemed to really shine and shut opponents down.
How much of that was Choate's influence though. UW seems to do the same thing a lot, first half is pretty base and second half has lot more adjustments and pressure. I have felt that is was a gameplanning strategy.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm

kmax wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
"What is this 'halftime adjustments' you speak of?" -Rob Ash

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:19 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm
kmax wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
How much of that was Choate's influence though. UW seems to do the same thing a lot, first half is pretty base and second half has lot more adjustments and pressure. I have felt that is was a gameplanning strategy.
You also have to factor in how slow our offense would start out in the first half of games. I think it is a combo of a lot of things. I like Gregorak and he was a definite upgrade, but maybe coach Choate is seeing a higher ceiling with a new coach at the helm (I am just guessing as I have no clue what went on). Sometimes keeping things fresh also stimulates player growth as well.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:42 pm

DaCats21 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm
kmax wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
"What is this 'halftime adjustments' you speak of?" -Rob Ash
"Yes... Why throw away a perfectly good game plan only halfway through the game?" -Bobby Hauck

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing