Spring Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Spring Transfers

Post by 1984champ » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am

Wondering if we bring in any more before the start of Spring semester. Are there any prospects on the radar? Any visits planned? This window is closing quickly.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Spring Transfers

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:28 am

Would love to see Ryder Rice from rocky in a bobcat uniform!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 am

1984champ wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am
Wondering if we bring in any more before the start of Spring semester. Are there any prospects on the radar? Any visits planned? This window is closing quickly.
Possible, but unlikely.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:50 pm

What positions is MSU needing transfers?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:52 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:50 pm
DL, LB, QB, and I would argue WR. Another good DB never hurts either.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:52 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Don't forget OL. choate mentioned that position as a transfer need. We have no depth at that position. I would say DL is number 1, and OL number 2 in importance IMO.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:13 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Don't forget OL. choate mentioned that position as a transfer need. We have no depth at that position. I would say DL is number 1, and OL number 2 in importance IMO.
Gtapp is correct here. The staff wants to bring in at least one transfer on the OL for depth (not necessarily to start). I also wouldn't say we have "no" depth at the position as the staff feels very good about Brott, Tui, Kidd, Redd, Wood, and Sessions as a swing guy. Also, Denver Krone has some trust as the backup center with the staff already. So mostly they want one or two kids to take the next step next year with guys like Sean Hatten, Brody McKnight, and Jarrod Asche. I still think true freshman Joe McElroy and Ryan Barkley are few years away in the strength department so let them keep developing. There will only be one senior on the starting line next year with two juniors and two sophomores so there is room for a JUCO guy to add competition/depth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:13 pm
gtapp wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Gtapp is correct here. The staff wants to bring in at least one transfer on the OL for depth (not necessarily to start). I also wouldn't say we have "no" depth at the position as the staff feels very good about Brott, Tui, Kidd, Redd, Wood, and Sessions as a swing guy. Also, Denver Krone has some trust as the backup center with the staff already. So mostly they want one or two kids to take the next step next year with guys like Sean Hatten, Brody McKnight, and Jarrod Asche. I still think true freshman Joe McElroy and Ryan Barkley are few years away in the strength department so let them keep developing. There will only be one senior on the starting line next year with two juniors and two sophomores so there is room for a JUCO guy to add competition/depth.
Not to spoil our luck, but I agree bringing in a JUCO or drop down for OL. You always lose one or two a year from hanging it up or injured. And OL is extremely important for Passing game and running

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:07 pm

What positions does MSU desperately need transfers? Like if someone doesn’t get picked up MSU will be exploited.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:33 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:07 pm
What positions does MSU desperately need transfers? Like if someone doesn’t get picked up MSU will be exploited.
Well right now TE is a position I'm concerned. I believe they can compete just fine with who they currently have at all other positions. But there will be a lot of pressure on these players:

- Ryan Davis: a true junior who got the most playing time outside of the three seniors last fall and is the likely starter next year.

- Clark Judisch: a redshirt junior who has been a developmental project his first three years who has stuck with it.

- Derryk Snell: a redshirt freshman who the coaches believe has a bright future. Derryk nearly broke into the special teams rotation last fall.

- Treyton Pickering: a redshirt freshman who is super talented but very raw in the blocking department. If he stays on track, has the chance to be special.

Alright those are the current TE's listed. Now here are the "other guys" who may be able to switch positions (these are all my opinion with no inside info from sources):

- Jacob Hadley: has the size to play immediately at the position (6'5", 225 lbs). Likes to be physical. I feel like he is just a bit out of position at Sam and/or Buck linebacker. Moving him over to offense who give that side of the ball an instant receiving threat. Jacob was a stud WR in high school and is the position I felt he should've played out of high school anyway. Now that he is bigger, let him get after it on the line of scrimmage.

- Callahan O'Reilly: he had position versatility coming out of high school. Due to injuries and need, he ended up being Grant's backup at Mike last fall by the end of the year. He is a naturally gifted football player who picks things up quickly. He should be around 6'2", 225 lbs. by next fall if he stays at linebacker. Again, another good athlete.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:33 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Well right now TE is a position I'm concerned. I believe they can compete just fine with who they currently have at all other positions. But there will be a lot of pressure on these players:

- Ryan Davis: a true junior who got the most playing time outside of the three seniors last fall and is the likely starter next year.

- Clark Judisch: a redshirt junior who has been a developmental project his first three years who has stuck with it.

- Derryk Snell: a redshirt freshman who the coaches believe has a bright future. Derryk nearly broke into the special teams rotation last fall.

- Treyton Pickering: a redshirt freshman who is super talented but very raw in the blocking department. If he stays on track, has the chance to be special.

Alright those are the current TE's listed. Now here are the "other guys" who may be able to switch positions (these are all my opinion with no inside info from sources):

- Jacob Hadley: has the size to play immediately at the position (6'5", 225 lbs). Likes to be physical. I feel like he is just a bit out of position at Sam and/or Buck linebacker. Moving him over to offense who give that side of the ball an instant receiving threat. Jacob was a stud WR in high school and is the position I felt he should've played out of high school anyway. Now that he is bigger, let him get after it on the line of scrimmage.

- Callahan O'Reilly: he had position versatility coming out of high school. Due to injuries and need, he ended up being Grant's backup at Mike last fall by the end of the year. He is a naturally gifted football player who picks things up quickly. He should be around 6'2", 225 lbs. by next fall if he stays at linebacker. Again, another good athlete.
I think Peyton Hanser could transition to the TE spot. But he is probably best suited as a possession type wr.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:44 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think Peyton Hanser could transition to the TE spot. But he is probably best suited as a possession type wr.
Yeah he's kind of built differently than his brother Dylan. More of a lean frame and not a ton of room to add weight. Like you said, will likely be best suited to stay on the outside.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 am

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
The linebacker position is loaded with numbers and I can't see adding another transfer there. I count 17 potential players:

Seniors: Cozzie, Hill, Konkol(?)
Juniors: Andersen(?), Chapman, Flovin, Hadley, Hardy, Williams(?)
Soph: Aguilar, Gilman, Kanow, O'Reilly
Freshman: Askelson, Choate
Recruits: Johnson(?), Oster

If anything, this position group will be trimmed before summer.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 am
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
The linebacker position is loaded with numbers and I can't see adding another transfer there. I count 17 potential players:

Juniors: Andersen(?), Chapman, Flovin, Hadley, Hardy, Williams(?)

Don't forget Jobman, played a lot of snaps. Not sure who this Quincy Kent-Schneider is.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 am

technoCat wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 am
arvcat2 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Juniors: Andersen(?), Chapman, Flovin, Hadley, Hardy, Williams(?), Jobman

Don't forget Jobman, played a lot of snaps. Not sure who this Quincy Kent-Schneider is.
Edit: Opps on Jobman and thanks. Add him to the juniors list. So many players for a three deep depth chart :-k

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 am
technoCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Edit: Opps on Jobman and thanks. Add him to the juniors list. So many players for a three deep depth chart :-k
Had quite a few in spring last year though and look how that ended up. Plus Konkol will stay at safety and isn't K Anderson a safety? Hill is coming off back surgery and Kanow off leg injuries. Hadley could move and Chapman has been injured a lot. I would welcome a solid transfer to this group.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Had quite a few in spring last year though and look how that ended up. Plus Konkol will stay at safety and isn't K Anderson a safety? Hill is coming off back surgery and Kanow off leg injuries. Hadley could move and Chapman has been injured a lot. I would welcome a solid transfer to this group.
He spelt out Andersen meaning Troy. Coaches are high on Blake Flovin.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

He spelt out Andersen meaning Troy. Coaches are high on Blake Flovin.
Looking at Flovin's Hudl profile, he is listed at 6'2" 240, if that is right, he is quick and fluid for being 240, very impressed. He'll make a impact next year.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Good insight on Hadley, my dad saw him in the shrine game and was sure he'd be catching passes for us. I think he's maybe more than a little miscast at OLB, his instincts aren't there at this point anyway. He'd be a phenomenal threat in the pass game at TE. Let him show Pickering the way for a year or 2.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Until MSU starts using tight ends it will never be a big concern for me. Haven’t used a tight end properly since I can remember, maybe Joe S? We didn’t even use beau and he played in the NFL. The kid from Corvallis that plays for EWU wasn’t even on MSU or Missoula’s radar, look what he has done at EWU. You can develop a tight end, just not at MSU I hope Matt changes that.

If your left, you aren’t right.