Spring Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Transfers

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Until MSU starts using tight ends it will never be a big concern for me. Haven’t used a tight end properly since I can remember, maybe Joe S? We didn’t even use beau and he played in the NFL. The kid from Corvallis that plays for EWU wasn’t even on MSU or Missoula’s radar, look what he has done at EWU. You can develop a tight end, just not at MSU I hope Matt changes that.
Beau was first team all Big Sky and second team AP All American. For the single season the Cats had him, I think they used him pretty well. Of course, it would have been nice to get him more touches.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Until MSU starts using tight ends it will never be a big concern for me. Haven’t used a tight end properly since I can remember, maybe Joe S? We didn’t even use beau and he played in the NFL. The kid from Corvallis that plays for EWU wasn’t even on MSU or Missoula’s radar, look what he has done at EWU. You can develop a tight end, just not at MSU I hope Matt changes that.
I don't think it's because we haven't wanted to. We just haven't had a QB capable in a while.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:07 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I don't think it's because we haven't wanted to. We just haven't had a QB capable in a while.
Im not worried about next year's group in terms of being receiving threats. I'm concerned about the group's ability to block because of their overall youth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm

We need that big physical receiver or that play-making receiver. Think Akpla/Junior Adams/Jefferson/Johnson.. I really hope Johnson can return! Kassis is doing very well and Jonsen will only get better. I would like more impact there!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Sandland caught 37 balls for 632 yards and 9 TDS. I’d say that’s pretty damn good for a TE.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 am

CelticCat wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm
Sandland caught 37 balls for 632 yards and 9 TDS. I’d say that’s pretty damn good for a TE.
9 TDs is great. but 37 catches for 632 is pretty light for an NFL-caliber TE. That's an average of 3.2 catches for 55 yards per game.
By comparison, Dallas Goedert of SDSU had 72 catches for 1111 yards (7 TDs) his senior season. Nearly double Sandland's numbers, except the TDs.

But some of that could be to the Cramsey offense not utilizing the TE as much as the offense SDSU runs.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 am

Anacomando wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm
We need that big physical receiver or that play-making receiver. Think Akpla/Junior Adams/Jefferson/Johnson.. I really hope Johnson can return! Kassis is doing very well and Jonsen will only get better. I would like more impact there!

As far as WR's go. I feel pretty good about the current group. Kassis is awesome, Willie P has a bright future, Lance is solid, a bunch of young guys with talent behind them. And I'll say this, don't sleep on Jonsen… Those last couple games of the season he was looking like an All Big Sky type player, if he can keep progressing into next season, look out!

One guy I think will be that "Elvis Akpla type" receiver at some point is Duru. Not sure if that will be this next season as he will only be a redshirt Frosh... but I'm excited to watch him this spring/fall.

Definitely would love to see Jabarri return, but it sounds like that it is not gonna happen, which sucks.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 am
CelticCat wrote:
9 TDs is great. but 37 catches for 632 is pretty light for an NFL-caliber TE. That's an average of 3.2 catches for 55 yards per game.
By comparison, Dallas Goedert of SDSU had 72 catches for 1111 yards (7 TDs) his senior season. Nearly double Sandland's numbers, except the TDs.

But some of that could be to the Cramsey offense not utilizing the TE as much as the offense SDSU runs.
Cramsey spread the ball around a lot and Sandland was one, if not the, top weapon of the entire offense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am

If Jonsen spends the offseason really honing his WR craft, he could be special. Akpla was new to football if I remember correctly, was a track guy at Oregon, joined the football team and then transferred. He had a lot of potential his first year at MSU but clearly wasn't a guy who had played a lot of WR, and it showed. Jonsen could be the same way, I mean he didn't even really practice much of fall camp at the position and just got better as the year went on. Pair that with a QB who can sling the rock and I think he has all-conference type abilities.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:50 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 am
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Cramsey spread the ball around a lot and Sandland was one, if not the, top weapon of the entire offense.
Its just 1 man's opinion VIM, but 3.2 catches per game, for a guy you know is an NFL talent, in an offense that ran 80+ plays per game, is vastly under-utilized. Sandland averaged almost 20 yards per catch, and a TD every 4 catches - and you only throw him the ball 4 times per game?? Thats the definition of under-utilized. No reason for him not to have had 60+ catches and close to 1000 yards in 2015.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:50 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 am
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Its just 1 man's opinion VIM, but 3.2 catches per game, for a guy you know is an NFL talent, in an offense that ran 80+ plays per game, is vastly under-utilized. Sandland averaged almost 20 yards per catch, and a TD every 4 catches - and you only throw him the ball 4 times per game?? Thats the definition of under-utilized. No reason for him not to have had 60+ catches and close to 1000 yards in 2015.
Wasn't taking a shot. Just pointing out the circumstances of playing in Cramsey's offense.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 am

Sandland was 3rd in the team in receptions, and lead the team in yards and TDs.

I'm sorry but you can't convince me he was underutilized. In the scope of that season and that offense, he was used plenty.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:20 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 am

I'm sorry but you can't convince me he was underutilized. In the scope of that season and that offense, he was used plenty.
670 yards led the team? Wow I'm surprised at that.

I'm just saying that a talent like Sandland doesn't come around that often at MSU, and if I was the OC I'd certainly be targeting him more than 4 times per game. 36 catches in 11 games for that guy was way too low. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:20 am
CelticCat wrote:

I'm just saying that a talent like Sandland doesn't come around that often at MSU, and if I was the OC I'd certainly be targeting him more than 4 times per game. 36 catches in 11 games for that guy was way too low. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Keep in mind that targets and catches are different things. I'm going to assume that Sandland was probably targeted more than 4 times a game, but between throw aways, bad passes, drops, pass break ups, etc., he probably got more than 4 "targets" per game.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am

coachouert wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 am
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Keep in mind that targets and catches are different things. I'm going to assume that Sandland was probably targeted more than 4 times a game, but between throw aways, bad passes, drops, pass break ups, etc., he probably got more than 4 "targets" per game.
He had 3.3 catches per game, so I figured 4 targets. But it's probably more like 5 targets per game, you're right.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am
coachouert wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

He had 3.3 catches per game, so I figured 4 targets. But it's probably more like 5 targets per game, you're right.
People forget how run-heavy that offense was. Prukop only averaged 15.5 completions per game, which means that Sandland made roughly 20% of the teams catches. Given the number of offensive weapons on that team (Herbert, Gates, Page, Brekke, Newell), 20% seems like a pretty high hookup rate.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:56 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am
coachouert wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

People forget how run-heavy that offense was. Prukop only averaged 15.5 completions per game, which means that Sandland made roughly 20% of the teams catches. Given the number of offensive weapons on that team (Herbert, Gates, Page, Brekke, Newell), 20% seems like a pretty high hookup rate.
We have been run heavy since Dmac graduated, which also contributes to why I’m not concerned about the tight ends. We run out of the spread a lot so the blocking part is moot until we start running with the tight end inside.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm

We have been run heavy since Dmac graduated, which also contributes to why I’m not concerned about the tight ends. We run out of the spread a lot so the blocking part is moot until we start running with the tight end inside.

Not sure who you watched. 3 tight ends makes a hell of a lot of run plays around the end with power out front

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:41 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Not sure who you watched. 3 tight ends makes a hell of a lot of run plays around the end with power out front
I would bet dollars to donuts that Sullivan was spread more than he was in a 3 point stance. Even if he wasn’t, it’s my opinion blocking can be taught quicker than running routes and catching the ball. So I would take any other position over a tight end right now. Probably a QB, LB, and a strong push the center back into the QBs face, nose tackle.

I watched the Cats this year, to answer your question.

If your left, you aren’t right.