Murray

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Murray

Post by superbobcat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 pm

In the Christmas spirit, I am hoping CM gets his grades up, leads us in summer drills and returns with a vengeance. It would make a great story and kind of seems like a typical Coach Choate situation. The young man learns from it and finds success! Can you imagine being a D coordinator and have to stop a backfield of TA, II, and CM!!!



Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Murray

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 pm
In the Christmas spirit, I am hoping CM gets his grades up, leads us in summer drills and returns with a vengeance. It would make a great story and kind of seems like a typical Coach Choate situation. The young man learns from it and finds success! Can you imagine being a D coordinator and have to stop a backfield of TA, II, and CM!!!
And Jonsen and Logan Jones!



User avatar
CatsNoMatterWhat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Re: Murray

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 pm
In the Christmas spirit, I am hoping CM gets his grades up, leads us in summer drills and returns with a vengeance. It would make a great story and kind of seems like a typical Coach Choate situation. The young man learns from it and finds success! Can you imagine being a D coordinator and have to stop a backfield of TA, II, and CM!!!
And Jonsen and Logan Jones!
Ok...I'm gonna put this out there and it seems like I'm going to get killed...but I just gotta say it. Am I the only one who thinks Murray back at QB is less than a great idea? He's the same QB as Troy and Troy was better! We spent all season complaining about how one dimensional Troy was...when the knock on Murray was he can't throw! Chris Murray...should he get back on the team...should be on the field every offensive play...but not at QB. Right?

On that note...have we given up on Rovig? I am seeing post after post about Bauman...who has barely played. Rovig has every tool. This whole QB thing has me perplexed. I'll be honest when I say I don't think I see things the same way as my respected Bobcat brothers and sisters on this fan board see them.

HELP?!!?



User avatar
Hi-Line Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2615
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Murray

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Murray is a better passer compared to Troy.


"I have an unhealthy obsession with Bobcat football...and arguing!!"

FTG247365
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Murray

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:26 pm

We are a better team no matter where Murray lines up.



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Murray

Post by lutecat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Troy had a better completion percentage didn't he?



KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Murray

Post by KittieKop » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Would it surprise anyone to know Rovig had more passing touchdowns on the year than Andersen, and about half his total passing yardage, in two games (well, he appeared in 5 games).


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Murray

Post by KittieKop » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Andersen's 2018 line: 115-208-7 55.3% 1195yds 3 TDs
Murray's 2017 line: 120-233-9 51.5% 1597yds 15 TDs

Not a hellava lot of difference there, other than Murray threw more TDs.

Rushing:
Andersen 2018: 206 rushes, 1412yds, 21TDs
Murray 2017: 91 rushes, 1124yds, 10 TDs

Andersen ran a lot more, but Murray's yard per attempt is much higher. Andersen scored more touchdowns.

Andersen a combined 2,607 yds, 24 TDs
Murray a combined 2,721 yds, 25 TDs

Not sure what any of this really means in the end. Kind of a give and take for each of them. Andersen obviously came away with more wins in 2018 than Murray in 2017.

Just as a recent comparison, here's Prukop from 2015:
Rushing: 158 rushes, 797 yds, 11 TDs
Passing: 216-344-10, 62.8% 3025 yds, 28 TDs
Combined: 3,822 yds, 39 TDs

All the numbers come from MSU BTW.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

kwcat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Murray

Post by kwcat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 pm

How about just pulling for the kid and let the chips fall where they may. :coffee:



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Murray

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:05 am

kwcat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 pm
How about just pulling for the kid and let the chips fall where they may. :coffee:
Novel idea. I definitely think Murray could end up winning the starting QB job. Just depends on how they’ve all progressed and if he’s able to participate in spring ball. It’ll be fun to watch.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
CatsNoMatterWhat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Re: Murray

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 am

kwcat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 pm
How about just pulling for the kid and let the chips fall where they may. :coffee:
I can pull for him while simultaneously wondering where he best fits.



lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Murray

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Andersen's 2018 line: 115-208-7 55.3% 1195yds 3 TDs
Murray's 2017 line: 120-233-9 51.5% 1597yds 15 TDs

Not a hellava lot of difference there, other than Murray threw more TDs.

Rushing:
Andersen 2018: 206 rushes, 1412yds, 21TDs
Murray 2017: 91 rushes, 1124yds, 10 TDs

Andersen ran a lot more, but Murray's yard per attempt is much higher. Andersen scored more touchdowns.

Andersen a combined 2,607 yds, 24 TDs
Murray a combined 2,721 yds, 25 TDs

Not sure what any of this really means in the end. Kind of a give and take for each of them. Andersen obviously came away with more wins in 2018 than Murray in 2017.

Just as a recent comparison, here's Prukop from 2015:
Rushing: 158 rushes, 797 yds, 11 TDs
Passing: 216-344-10, 62.8% 3025 yds, 28 TDs
Combined: 3,822 yds, 39 TDs

All the numbers come from MSU BTW.

Dude! We get it. You like Ash. Dak Pru was his guy and...I kid I kid. Lol

Thank you for posting the stats. So pretty much Murray and Troy were pretty even. Interesting.

My gut tells me we're the best team with Tucker at QB handing off to Ifanse, Murray, and a little of Anderson, and then he drops a dime on to Kassis or another WR every once in a while. Just more looks to defend that way.



User avatar
utucats
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Murray

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:47 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Andersen's 2018 line: 115-208-7 55.3% 1195yds 3 TDs
Murray's 2017 line: 120-233-9 51.5% 1597yds 15 TDs

Not a hellava lot of difference there, other than Murray threw more TDs.

Rushing:
Andersen 2018: 206 rushes, 1412yds, 21TDs
Murray 2017: 91 rushes, 1124yds, 10 TDs

Andersen ran a lot more, but Murray's yard per attempt is much higher. Andersen scored more touchdowns.

Andersen a combined 2,607 yds, 24 TDs
Murray a combined 2,721 yds, 25 TDs

Not sure what any of this really means in the end. Kind of a give and take for each of them. Andersen obviously came away with more wins in 2018 than Murray in 2017.

Just as a recent comparison, here's Prukop from 2015:
Rushing: 158 rushes, 797 yds, 11 TDs
Passing: 216-344-10, 62.8% 3025 yds, 28 TDs
Combined: 3,822 yds, 39 TDs

All the numbers come from MSU BTW.

Dude! We get it. You like Ash. Dak Pru was his guy and...I kid I kid. Lol

Thank you for posting the stats. So pretty much Murray and Troy were pretty even. Interesting.

My gut tells me we're the best team with Tucker at QB handing off to Ifanse, Murray, and a little of Anderson, and then he drops a dime on to Kassis or another WR every once in a while. Just more looks to defend that way.
What??? Are you guys nuts? Murray and Troy were not “pretty even.” Murray completed just 5 more passes in 2017 than Troy did in 2018 but threw for 400 yards and 12 TDs more. That is very telling when it comes to keeping the defense honest which is really all we are trying to get a QB to do. Especially with our dominant run game.

Comparing Prukop’s stats is a fools errand. Prukop played at a time when our philosophy was to try and outscore everyone. He got a lot of stats when we had already lost the game. That awful philosophy got us a losing season and cost the HC his job. What we have now is far superior.


Image

ilovethecats
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Murray

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I think Murray will be back but I don’t think he’ll be qb. We’re a better team if we can get the ball in his hands though. It’s going to be an exciting spring and fall!



rivercat
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Murray

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:45 pm

If CM isn't QB, I'm not sure where he plays. I don't see him at RB, very different skill set and physical requirement. Maybe receiver but no guarantee. I'm rooting for CM whatever the outcome.

The Cats need a functional, effective passing game and the QB that provides that plays.

If an opposing team loads the box every down, then pass the ball every down until they respect the pass. That's what being a good run first team is about. Make opponents sell out to stop the run then beat them with easy passes.


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Murray

Post by KittieKop » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:16 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:47 pm
lutecat wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Andersen's 2018 line: 115-208-7 55.3% 1195yds 3 TDs
Murray's 2017 line: 120-233-9 51.5% 1597yds 15 TDs

Not a hellava lot of difference there, other than Murray threw more TDs.

Rushing:
Andersen 2018: 206 rushes, 1412yds, 21TDs
Murray 2017: 91 rushes, 1124yds, 10 TDs

Andersen ran a lot more, but Murray's yard per attempt is much higher. Andersen scored more touchdowns.

Andersen a combined 2,607 yds, 24 TDs
Murray a combined 2,721 yds, 25 TDs

Not sure what any of this really means in the end. Kind of a give and take for each of them. Andersen obviously came away with more wins in 2018 than Murray in 2017.

Just as a recent comparison, here's Prukop from 2015:
Rushing: 158 rushes, 797 yds, 11 TDs
Passing: 216-344-10, 62.8% 3025 yds, 28 TDs
Combined: 3,822 yds, 39 TDs

All the numbers come from MSU BTW.

Dude! We get it. You like Ash. Dak Pru was his guy and...I kid I kid. Lol

Thank you for posting the stats. So pretty much Murray and Troy were pretty even. Interesting.

My gut tells me we're the best team with Tucker at QB handing off to Ifanse, Murray, and a little of Anderson, and then he drops a dime on to Kassis or another WR every once in a while. Just more looks to defend that way.
What??? Are you guys nuts? Murray and Troy were not “pretty even.” Murray completed just 5 more passes in 2017 than Troy did in 2018 but threw for 400 yards and 12 TDs more. That is very telling when it comes to keeping the defense honest which is really all we are trying to get a QB to do. Especially with our dominant run game.

Comparing Prukop’s stats is a fools errand. Prukop played at a time when our philosophy was to try and outscore everyone. He got a lot of stats when we had already lost the game. That awful philosophy got us a losing season and cost the HC his job. What we have now is far superior.
I guess when I said comparison, I should have chosen other words. You're right, offensive philosophy now versus 2015 is vastly different. I just wanted to illustrate relative output from the QB position, as a point of reference when we look at Murray and/or Andersen.

I think we need to have at least a reliable passing game. There's only one FCS team in the country that can simply wear every other team out in the 4th quarter, and they're playing in Frisco next week. We can't rely on "out NDSU-ing" NDSU, SDSU, EWU. We need to bring more to the table. I don't see assembling an offense in Bozeman that will simply run over every other team. There's a way for MSU to win it, but I think it has to involve a threat of a passing game as well as a punishing run attack.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Murray

Post by KittieKop » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:17 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm
Andersen's 2018 line: 115-208-7 55.3% 1195yds 3 TDs
Murray's 2017 line: 120-233-9 51.5% 1597yds 15 TDs

Not a hellava lot of difference there, other than Murray threw more TDs.

Rushing:
Andersen 2018: 206 rushes, 1412yds, 21TDs
Murray 2017: 91 rushes, 1124yds, 10 TDs

Andersen ran a lot more, but Murray's yard per attempt is much higher. Andersen scored more touchdowns.

Andersen a combined 2,607 yds, 24 TDs
Murray a combined 2,721 yds, 25 TDs

Not sure what any of this really means in the end. Kind of a give and take for each of them. Andersen obviously came away with more wins in 2018 than Murray in 2017.

Just as a recent comparison, here's Prukop from 2015:
Rushing: 158 rushes, 797 yds, 11 TDs
Passing: 216-344-10, 62.8% 3025 yds, 28 TDs
Combined: 3,822 yds, 39 TDs

All the numbers come from MSU BTW.

Dude! We get it. You like Ash. Dak Pru was his guy and...I kid I kid. Lol

Thank you for posting the stats. So pretty much Murray and Troy were pretty even. Interesting.

My gut tells me we're the best team with Tucker at QB handing off to Ifanse, Murray, and a little of Anderson, and then he drops a dime on to Kassis or another WR every once in a while. Just more looks to defend that way.
Had me going for a minute! :lol: :lol:


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Re: Murray

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:27 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:45 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 pm
In the Christmas spirit, I am hoping CM gets his grades up, leads us in summer drills and returns with a vengeance. It would make a great story and kind of seems like a typical Coach Choate situation. The young man learns from it and finds success! Can you imagine being a D coordinator and have to stop a backfield of TA, II, and CM!!!
And Jonsen and Logan Jones!
Ok...I'm gonna put this out there and it seems like I'm going to get killed...but I just gotta say it. Am I the only one who thinks Murray back at QB is less than a great idea? He's the same QB as Troy and Troy was better! We spent all season complaining about how one dimensional Troy was...when the knock on Murray was he can't throw! Chris Murray...should he get back on the team...should be on the field every offensive play...but not at QB. Right?

On that note...have we given up on Rovig? I am seeing post after post about Bauman...who has barely played. Rovig has every tool. This whole QB thing has me perplexed. I'll be honest when I say I don't think I see things the same way as my respected Bobcat brothers and sisters on this fan board see them.

HELP?!!?
I’m with ya. I don’t feel Murray should get the chance to joint the team again since he stopped showing up to classes all together and to me thats rollingnover on the rest of your team. Second Murray at qb does not improve our pass game. If he does come back and play he better learn to run routes because wr is about the only position he will help out at.



GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Murray

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 pm

BSMITH. Obviously you didnt watch much the past few years. Murray did quite well for coming in as a 17yr old freshman. Give the kid credit. Yeah he let the team down but everybody makes mistakes and deserves a second chance. I feel for your kids if you have any.



User avatar
HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Re: Murray

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 am

My daughter saw Murray in the student parking lot this morning - so he's back on campus. I'm assuming he was headed to class.



Post Reply