NDSU is dismantling everyone...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: NDSU is dismantling everyone...

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

ButteCat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 pm
I don't think you all are giving Eastern Washington enough credit. I think the game in Frisco will end up within a touchdown either direction, and I wouldn't count EWU out.
It’s not a knock on EWU as much as the reality that NDSU is SO much better than everyone. I’m giving eastern the same credit I’d give anyone. I’d be surprised if they keep it closer than 14-17 points.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm
ButteCat wrote:
I don't think you all are giving Eastern Washington enough credit. I think the game in Frisco will end up within a touchdown either direction, and I wouldn't count EWU out.
It’s not a knock on EWU as much as the reality that NDSU is SO much better than everyone. I’m giving eastern the same credit I’d give anyone. I’d be surprised if they keep it closer than 14-17 points.
Pretty much how I am thinking. Guessing right at 3 scores and those aren't fgs...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Call me crazy but I'm going to say Eastern wins 27-24.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I really would like to think EWU can hang with NDSU but I just don't think its going to happen. Having watched both teams NDSU is just better in all aspects of the game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm
Call me crazy but I'm going to say Eastern wins 27-24.
You’re crazy. 8)

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:16 pm

catsack wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:43 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:24 am
Last nights win over SDSU was another show of dominance by NDSU. Not only does it show how powerful a team they are, but it also shows that as "far away" as we are...we are still in the bunch who has played them in the playoffs at the same level. We are a better team than the final score indicated on our last game, and NDSU is not going to be beat this year.
I've only seen their last 3 games this year, but the two biggest drivers of their sheer dominance in my take are:

I. The completely underrated status of QB Easton Stick

This kid does not really pass the "eye test" to NFL scouts or casual fans, but this kid is very athletic, very tough, very scrappy, & very intelligent. From what I've seen this year, this kid is the most underrated player in the FCS currently. It's not just his team around him. He's basically NDSU's version of Troy Anderson.

II. Extremely beneficial referee crews in Fargo

The ref crews in our game screwed us over the entire 1st quarter by allowing NDSU's OLine & WRs have their way with our defenders. This is a hard, cold fact if you rewatch the tape. Last night against SDSU, one of NDSU's RBs clearly coughed up the ball midway in 3rd qtr while NDSU only held a 14 point lead (after SDSU just scored & captured the momentum). SDSU recovered this legit fumble. Even after a clear replay, the ref crew refused to make the correct call on this & give the ball back to SDSU in what would've been a huge momentum shifting play. NDSU went on to kick a FG later in drive & fraudently enjoyed a 3-score game advantage as a result.

If NDSU continues to maintain these 2 drivers there will not be anyone who can stay within 2 scores of them on the FCS level.
The officials are not the reason they are winning, I’ve seen plenty of calls go in favor of the cats.
Ok, cool. But that isn't what I stated.

I said the officiating in their last 3 games was one of the two main reasons for their dominance in these wins (see above).

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm
catsack wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:43 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:24 am
Last nights win over SDSU was another show of dominance by NDSU. Not only does it show how powerful a team they are, but it also shows that as "far away" as we are...we are still in the bunch who has played them in the playoffs at the same level. We are a better team than the final score indicated on our last game, and NDSU is not going to be beat this year.
I've only seen their last 3 games this year, but the two biggest drivers of their sheer dominance in my take are:

I. The completely underrated status of QB Easton Stick

This kid does not really pass the "eye test" to NFL scouts or casual fans, but this kid is very athletic, very tough, very scrappy, & very intelligent. From what I've seen this year, this kid is the most underrated player in the FCS currently. It's not just his team around him. He's basically NDSU's version of Troy Anderson.

II. Extremely beneficial referee crews in Fargo

The ref crews in our game screwed us over the entire 1st quarter by allowing NDSU's OLine & WRs have their way with our defenders. This is a hard, cold fact if you rewatch the tape. Last night against SDSU, one of NDSU's RBs clearly coughed up the ball midway in 3rd qtr while NDSU only held a 14 point lead (after SDSU just scored & captured the momentum). SDSU recovered this legit fumble. Even after a clear replay, the ref crew refused to make the correct call on this & give the ball back to SDSU in what would've been a huge momentum shifting play. NDSU went on to kick a FG later in drive & fraudently enjoyed a 3-score game advantage as a result.

If NDSU continues to maintain these 2 drivers there will not be anyone who can stay within 2 scores of them on the FCS level.
The officials are not the reason they are winning, I’ve seen plenty of calls go in favor of the cats.
Agree 100%...i'ts ridiculous to even suggest that. I get so tired of hearing people bitch about the officials. I mean some people really seem to believe that we get screwed by the refs in every single game, and that's obviously just not true. Kudos to NDSU though. They are impressive, to say the least. In the latest Sagarin ratings, they are ranked #17 in the nation among all D-I teams, FBS or FCS. Now I don't believe that they are quite that good, but I'd definitely put them in the top 40, at least. EWU was very impressive against Maine, but I still don't think the NC game will be all that close. I"m predicting NDSU to win 37-24. Before this weekend, I wouldn't have predicted it to be even that close, but EWU looked pretty damn good on Saturday. Still though, I thought SDSU was probably the second best team in the nation, and obviously the Bison completely dominated them. I think this is their best team yet, during their entire almost decade long run.
Ok, I get your position. But it's even more ridiculous to suggest that ref crews do not directly impact games, sometimes drastically.

When this happens (which is not always), it should be called out.

It may not be the most fun or coolest subject to discuss, but it is a reality of the game. Unfortunately.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
ButteCat wrote:
Being in Frisco will definitely help EWU, but if they can stay within 2 scores it'll be a valiant effort on EWU's part

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:31 pm

NDSU -12; EWU is good, very good; NDSU is way above.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-st ... 126767688/

It will be interesting to see if the Bison can stay dominant.
Coach Mess is going to be K-State's OC.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm

I bet he's glad to be back at the FBS level again. Will be an uphill climb for the new K State staff. NO ONE has won at K State besides Snyder. He was the master of getting the most out of Ju-Co transfers. Mad respect for Coach Snyder.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:09 pm

I don’t know how Coach Messingham will do at K- State, but I do appreciate his ability to eventually adapt the offense around Chris Murray and the run game.

From my limited understanding Coach Cole struggled a little more trying to do the same thing with Anderson.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:52 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Not only Messingham but a bunch of the coaches. This is going to be a tougher transition than when Baldwin left EWU just based on how many coaches are gone. Will NDSU be horrible? No, way too much talent, but I would be surprised if they are dominant like they were this year.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:30 pm

They didn't skip a beat after the last coaching change, and I doubt they will this time either, but we shall see.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Next year the Bison will be down when compared to this year's team because they graduate quantity and quality. That said, they will be the #1 until proven otherwise.

I think the most important thing NDSU does is hire from within. The football PROGRAM year after year produces #1 teams. The players that fit the program are already there. The last thing you want to do is bring in a new HC with new ideas. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:58 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:21 pm
Next year the Bison will be down when compared to this year's team because they graduate quantity and quality. That said, they will be the #1 until proven otherwise.

I think the most important thing NDSU does is hire from within. The football PROGRAM year after year produces #1 teams. The players that fit the program are already there. The last thing you want to do is bring in a new HC with new ideas. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Agree. No doubt there will be some slight dropoff with losing 20 5th year seniors (That is extremely rare, even for NDSU) and a new head coach. That said, when I say a slight drop off - might lose a game or two during regular season and there will be a better chance that someone maybe edges them out in the quarters or semis. If I'm betting on them though, smart money still says the'll be back to Frisco next year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:55 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
ButteCat wrote:
You could be right, but we shall see. Barriere brings a slightly different dimension to the EWU offense that even Gubrud didn’t. They’ll spy him like they did with the SDSU Qb, but I think he’s more athletic and certainly more elusive than that guy was.

We could get blown out, but I also think we have a chance to win as well. No one gave us a shot in 2010, either.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:20 pm

ewuranger29 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
ButteCat wrote:
You could be right, but we shall see. Barriere brings a slightly different dimension to the EWU offense that even Gubrud didn’t. They’ll spy him like they did with the SDSU Qb, but I think he’s more athletic and certainly more elusive than that guy was.

We could get blown out, but I also think we have a chance to win as well. No one gave us a shot in 2010, either.
Totally. And if I was in your shoes I’d think the exact same thing! NDSU just seems to be a different animal. But good luck! I’d love to see the Cats in your position someday!