Hero Sports Newcomer of the Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Hero Sports Newcomer of the Year

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:14 pm

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-fan ... -2018-ajaj

I think with Bryce Sterk's numbers he should be in the running.
If you agree, enter Bryce in the other slot.

Bryce Sterk, Montana State
(copy and paste)

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Hero Sports Newcomer of the Year

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Dalton Sneed.....Most turnovers for a newcomer in a year.

Punters are people too!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm

It’ll be Sneed in a landslide. It’s a fan vote. This McLaughlin guy doesn’t know he transferred to UM from a JC.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm
It’ll be Sneed in a landslide. It’s a fan vote. This McLaughlin guy doesn’t know he transferred to UM from a JC.
Meaning he shouldn’t be Newcomer of the Year? What does that have to do with anything. He won the Newcomer of the Year for the Big Sky

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

iaafan wrote:

It's not the freshman of the year award for a reason.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 pm
iaafan wrote:
Meaning he shouldn’t be Newcomer of the Year? What does that have to do with anything. He won the Newcomer of the Year for the Big Sky
Dude had more turnovers than most teams? If that makes him popular, I guess, whatever.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Dude had more turnovers than most teams? If that makes him popular, I guess, whatever.
He threw 7 picks (to 22 TDs) ....the same # of picks as Troy Andersen. Are you referring to fumbles? How many did he have, like 3? I’m amazed at how many he actually held onto with the hits the OL gave up.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I voted.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Sneed is a good QB. Just listen to Choate's and Gregorak's comments about him. He can play football.

I didn't vote, because he's the only candidate that I saw play this year. I doubt anyone voting has seen all, or even most, of those candidates play...and especially multiple games. So bully to whoever wins this popularity contest.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:18 pm

iaafan wrote:
I agree. I don't think very many fans are going to look at each player and then vote for who they think is best. Most of the voters will be fans of each team with a player on this list. UM has the most fans. McLaughlin is a good guy and is trying to put a spotlight on FCS football, but he should know that Sneed came to UM from Ft. Scott CC, not UNLV. He did play at UNLV, but logically you list where the player is a newcomer from or list both schools. Not the school they went to prior to the school that he was just attending.

FCS polls of any kind are limited due to the fans, media, coaches lack of knowledge of players/teams all around the country. There just isn't enough media coverage of, or interest in, the FCS for anyone to become knowledgeable or commit to following the division. If you put out a FBS poll there are enough people that know enough about what's going on and that take a general interest to get result that isn't just people voting for their favorite color.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

It's a silly vote, but Sneed is a dang good dual threat quarterback.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:24 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm
Sneed is a good QB. Just listen to Choate's and Gregorak's comments about him. He can play football.

I didn't vote, because he's the only candidate that I saw play this year. I doubt anyone voting has seen all, or even most, of those candidates play...and especially multiple games. So bully to whoever wins this popularity contest.
Exactly.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
He threw 7 picks (to 22 TDs) ....the same # of picks as Troy Andersen. Are you referring to fumbles? How many did he have, like 3? I’m amazed at how many he actually held onto with the hits the OL gave up.
Sneed
7 picks, 4-fumbles.
Rushing att. 131
Passing att. 384

Andersen
6-Picks, 2-fumbles
Rushing att. 147
Passing att.150

Based on games 1-11 as Sneed didn’t appear in playoffs.

Comparing turnovers without using carries and pass attempts isn’t taking in the whole picture.
My point was newcomer of the year shouldn’t be based on who has more fans but should be based on performance.
Last edited by LIBBYCAT on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Sneed
7 picks, 4-fumbles.
Rushing att. 131
Passing att. 384

Andersen
6-Picks, 2-fumbles
Rushing att. 147
Passing att.150

Comparing turnovers without using carries and pass attempts isn’t taking in the whole picture.
My point was newcomer of the year shouldn’t be based on who has more fans but should be based on performance.
Agree, which is why Sneed won the official Big Sky Newcomer of the Year, because he was damn impressive and put up damn good numbers. This Hero Sports one is more just for fun, a fan voted newcomer of the year, defensive player of the year, etc. It doesn’t have any official weight to it and is not an official FCS award.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Sneed
7 picks, 4-fumbles.
Rushing att. 131
Passing att. 384

Andersen
6-Picks, 2-fumbles
Rushing att. 147
Passing att.150

Agree, which is why Sneed won the official Big Sky Newcomer of the Year, because he was damn impressive and put up damn good numbers. This Hero Sports one is more just for fun, a fan voted newcomer of the year, defensive player of the year, etc. It doesn’t have any official weight to it and is not an official FCS award.
Wait a minute here! The stats I've seen show Andersen rushing att. 206 times and passing att. 208 times

Not that it really matters in this thread but we might as well get the numbers right while we're at it.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Nothing against Sneed, he had a good year, but I thought Sterk should’ve won the Newc. One of many mistakes in the BSC league honors. Sterk made a big difference for a team with a weak pass rush and that improvement was a significant reason why MSU made the playoffs. He was second in TFL and sacks. He did more to help his team improve than Sneed and played better relative to other players at his position than Sneed. MSU went from 5-6 to 8-5 with a playoff win. UM was 6-5 for the second year in a row.

toM StUber

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm
Nothing against Sneed, he had a good year, but I thought Sterk should’ve won the Newc. One of many mistakes in the BSC league honors. Sterk made a big difference for a team with a weak pass rush and that improvement was a significant reason why MSU made the playoffs. He was second in TFL and sacks. He did more to help his team improve than Sneed and played better relative to other players at his position than Sneed. MSU went from 5-6 to 8-5 with a playoff win. UM was 6-5 for the second year in a row.

Agreed. So go vote everybody and enter Bryce Sterk.
If everybody that agrees would go vote, Sterk would probably be in the lead.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Sneed
7 picks, 4-fumbles.
Rushing att. 131
Passing att. 384

Andersen
6-Picks, 2-fumbles
Rushing att. 147
Passing att.150

I'll agree with you on this one Hooked, had Sneed got injured early on in the season Missoula would have been a complete ******. He won a couple games by himself, and Sterk can't say that imo. The kid even looked great in Cat-griz before we decided to start playing.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:44 am

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Sneed
7 picks, 4-fumbles.
Rushing att. 131
Passing att. 384

Andersen
6-Picks, 2-fumbles
Rushing att. 147
Passing att.150

You’re right, some turnovers are more costly than others. Sneed had two fumbles vs PSU that led to 10 points in a 2-point loss. His fumble in Cat-Griz led to the go-ahead touchdown. Those three plays had significant roles in both losses. Might’ve been 8-3 instead of 6-5.

toM StUber

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 am

Instead of the official stats, I looked at the espn box scores. My bad.