QB position

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

QB position

Post by Phat Daddy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Based strictly on our rosters, this has been our QB situation in each of the past four years. As an example, we know that Troy was our QB in 2018 even though the site never updated him as such.

Ash (2015) – Prukop, Jordan Hoy, Ben Folsom, Brady McChesney, Jake Bleskin, Quinn McQueary (though not listed)
Choate (2016) – Chris Murray, Tyler Bruggman, Folsom, McChesney, Kamden Brown
Choate (2017) – Murray, Tucker Rovig, McChesney, Brown, Luke May, Callahan O’Reilly
Choate (2018) – Casey Bauman, Travis Jonsen, Rovig, Ruben Beltran

One thing that the QB position allows is the ability to mask some deficiencies with other units. Eastern hasn't always been dominant defensively, but they were able to overcome it due to elite QB play. The inverse is not true. Choate has done good things with the program, but ultimately, his inability to find a QB in 3 recruiting classes and possibly 4, will determine his fate at MSU. This is a HUGE early signing period for Choate, his staff, the team and fans, as the class needs one above average QB that remains healthy (depth is unknown) to help our program continue to make strides.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: QB position

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm

I could be wrong, but I thought that in 2017 Kamden Brown was gone and Luke May and Callahan O’reilly had already been moved to defense by the start of the season.

I’ll be very surprised if there isn’t another transfer and a hs qb brought in this year.
Nobody knows better than Choate that the qb position needs to be better next year. This team is potentially a good/solid qb away from being a legitimate top 10-15 team.



Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: QB position

Post by Phat Daddy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm
I could be wrong, but I thought that in 2017 Kamden Brown was gone and Luke May and Callahan O’reilly had already been moved to defense by the start of the season.

I’ll be very surprised if there isn’t another transfer and a hs qb brought in this year.
Nobody knows better than Choate that the qb position needs to be better next year. This team is potentially a good/solid qb away from being a legitimate top 10-15 team.
May and O'Reilly may have been moved at that point, but as I mentioned, not according to the rosters on the website.

He certainly knows it, but I think the question is whether or not he and the staff are capable of finding or attracting one. The past three seasons of offense wouldn't necessarily attract one, nor have they proven yet as a staff they have the capacity to identify and/or develop at that position.



iaafan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3922
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: QB position

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I thought the QB play over the last six games was good. The offense averaged 428 yards per game during that stretch. I really liked how the offense controlled the ball. I think college football now has three phases to it, instead of two. Run and pass game with QB RPO. Teams with this combo are dominating the game. NDSU and SDSU both have that in Stick and Christion. EWU has it. All four FBS semi-finalists have it.



User avatar
bobcat92
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1849
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: Billings

Re: QB position

Post by bobcat92 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Quinn McQueary transferred to MT Tech at the end of the 2014 season.



User avatar
Camo_Cat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 am
Location: In a tree stand

Re: QB position

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Two things have happened with our offense since Choate has been here. First, Coach Choate has said several times he wants a grind it out/wear 'em out type of offense. While he really hasn't stated explicitly that all we will do is run the ball, that is what is implied. Second - due to injuries, grades, etc., Coach has been forced to use an athlete at the QB position whose strength is running the ball and passing only when necessary.

I think Coach understands we need more balance, even though he probably will always be a run-first kind of guy. IMHO, if you have a QB recruit is used to throwing it all over the yard and wants to continue doing that in college, he's probably not going to seriously look at MSU. All you have to do as a recruit is to look at the last three seasons of MSU football and see that, regardless of what past circumstances took place.

I honestly believe that if we are going to give the offense a facelift and start building the passing game, it is going to happen with a QB we already have on the roster. I feel either Roving or Bauman can compete and play at this level. I don't know much about Beltran since I haven't seen him play, but from what I've heard, he is more than capable as well. I don't think next year's QB is going to be Troy, and I don't think it will be a transfer either. We have three young men who can become the leader of this offense. Let's develop them in the off-season and see what they can do.



Team10
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Re: QB position

Post by Team10 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Since QB appears to be the topic of choice, AGAIN, for the off-season I would like to hear some posters' perspective on what type of QB they would prefer and an explanation. All based on what the current offensive scheme has been. So pick one.

1) Marginal passer who has a canon for an arm but lacks great accuracy on roughly 50 percent of his throws and has a tendency to does not let pass plays develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is phenomenal runner. He has great top speed and can drag a defender until they decide to let go or finally gets taken down by a gang tackle, but lacks the ability to make defenders miss in space and will try to outrun them. However, he can be called upon in short yardage situations because he has the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.

2) Phenomenal passer with a canon for an arm. Can hit 10-15 yard out and crossing routes on a rope and is has great accuracy and touch on long balls. But has marginal running ability with less than 5 design run plays a game, but knows when to scramble in the open field for the yards he can take easily

3) Marginal passer who has an average strength arm but lacks great accuracy. At least 30 pass plays are called a game but 5-10 of those are sacks/scrambles/wasted play due to them not waiting for the plays to develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is an absolute dynamic runner. He has top speed and is as slippery as they get. Can make defenders miss, but in the short game doesn't have the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.



GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: QB position

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Who is out there we are pursuing? I think there will me more guys looking for positions once the season is over, but any idea on other options?



bobcatbob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:04 pm

Re: QB position

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Who is out there we are pursuing? I think there will me more guys looking for positions once the season is over, but any idea on other options?
It was reported in another thread that Cat coaches are following 3 star Rutgers transfer Jalen Chatman. The guy can pass and run. Has some wheels. I think he is a redshirt freshman.



bobcat99
Member # Retired
Posts: 2766
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: QB position

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Since QB appears to be the topic of choice, AGAIN, for the off-season I would like to hear some posters' perspective on what type of QB they would prefer and an explanation. All based on what the current offensive scheme has been. So pick one.

1) Marginal passer who has a canon for an arm but lacks great accuracy on roughly 50 percent of his throws and has a tendency to does not let pass plays develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is phenomenal runner. He has great top speed and can drag a defender until they decide to let go or finally gets taken down by a gang tackle, but lacks the ability to make defenders miss in space and will try to outrun them. However, he can be called upon in short yardage situations because he has the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.

2) Phenomenal passer with a canon for an arm. Can hit 10-15 yard out and crossing routes on a rope and is has great accuracy and touch on long balls. But has marginal running ability with less than 5 design run plays a game, but knows when to scramble in the open field for the yards he can take easily

3) Marginal passer who has an average strength arm but lacks great accuracy. At least 30 pass plays are called a game but 5-10 of those are sacks/scrambles/wasted play due to them not waiting for the plays to develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is an absolute dynamic runner. He has top speed and is as slippery as they get. Can make defenders miss, but in the short game doesn't have the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.
I see you're doing Andersen, Bauman, Murray.

Few issues, Andersen doesn't have a cannon of an arm, and Bauman is all speculation.

With that said, based on descriptions you have, QB #2.



Team10
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Re: QB position

Post by Team10 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm
Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Since QB appears to be the topic of choice, AGAIN, for the off-season I would like to hear some posters' perspective on what type of QB they would prefer and an explanation. All based on what the current offensive scheme has been. So pick one.

1) Marginal passer who has a canon for an arm but lacks great accuracy on roughly 50 percent of his throws and has a tendency to does not let pass plays develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is phenomenal runner. He has great top speed and can drag a defender until they decide to let go or finally gets taken down by a gang tackle, but lacks the ability to make defenders miss in space and will try to outrun them. However, he can be called upon in short yardage situations because he has the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.

2) Phenomenal passer with a canon for an arm. Can hit 10-15 yard out and crossing routes on a rope and is has great accuracy and touch on long balls. But has marginal running ability with less than 5 design run plays a game, but knows when to scramble in the open field for the yards he can take easily

3) Marginal passer who has an average strength arm but lacks great accuracy. At least 30 pass plays are called a game but 5-10 of those are sacks/scrambles/wasted play due to them not waiting for the plays to develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is an absolute dynamic runner. He has top speed and is as slippery as they get. Can make defenders miss, but in the short game doesn't have the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.
I see you're doing Andersen, Bauman, Murray.

Few issues, Andersen doesn't have a cannon of an arm, and Bauman is all speculation.

With that said, based on descriptions you have, QB #2.
Exactly! Those are basically the options fans are looking at currently. Some refuse to see what type of QB each of them is until they read a description and say, yes, that is what I would like to see running the offense, or, no, that is not what I would like to see running the offense.



User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: QB position

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm
Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Since QB appears to be the topic of choice, AGAIN, for the off-season I would like to hear some posters' perspective on what type of QB they would prefer and an explanation. All based on what the current offensive scheme has been. So pick one.

1) Marginal passer who has a canon for an arm but lacks great accuracy on roughly 50 percent of his throws and has a tendency to does not let pass plays develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is phenomenal runner. He has great top speed and can drag a defender until they decide to let go or finally gets taken down by a gang tackle, but lacks the ability to make defenders miss in space and will try to outrun them. However, he can be called upon in short yardage situations because he has the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.

2) Phenomenal passer with a canon for an arm. Can hit 10-15 yard out and crossing routes on a rope and is has great accuracy and touch on long balls. But has marginal running ability with less than 5 design run plays a game, but knows when to scramble in the open field for the yards he can take easily

3) Marginal passer who has an average strength arm but lacks great accuracy. At least 30 pass plays are called a game but 5-10 of those are sacks/scrambles/wasted play due to them not waiting for the plays to develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is an absolute dynamic runner. He has top speed and is as slippery as they get. Can make defenders miss, but in the short game doesn't have the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.
I see you're doing Andersen, Bauman, Murray.

Few issues, Andersen doesn't have a cannon of an arm, and Bauman is all speculation.

With that said, based on descriptions you have, QB #2.
Exactly! Those are basically the options fans are looking at currently. Some refuse to see what type of QB each of them is until they read a description and say, yes, that is what I would like to see running the offense, or, no, that is not what I would like to see running the offense.
Anyone that didn't already know who you are referring to with each choice would pick #2. You don't even need to read after the first word for each option.

The problem with your "current options" is that we only really have #1 available today. We've seen #3 in the past but even if he comes back is he still #3 after not participating in any football for a full year? Everyone is hoping that #2 exists but based on the season that just wrapped up I don't think you can say that today.



joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 am
Location: At the top looking down

Re: QB position

Post by joe_montana_state » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I personally would like to see a QB with McGhee's skill set. Someone who is a pass first guy with great vision and the ability to extend plays with his legs. I like a guy who can run but understands its his job to deliver the ball to play makers first. Our offense could be multi-dimensional and allow for us to game plan around other teams defensive strengths....instead of round peg in a square hole...lets force it to the forth quarter and see if it breaks offense.



User avatar
RobertCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Conrad, MT

Re: QB position

Post by RobertCats » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:41 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Who is out there we are pursuing? I think there will me more guys looking for positions once the season is over, but any idea on other options?
It was reported in another thread that Cat coaches are following 3 star Rutgers transfer Jalen Chatman. The guy can pass and run. Has some wheels. I think he is a redshirt freshman.
I really liked his high school film, throws a pretty good ball and is an athlete. I saw some more videos of him working with a QB coach over the summer and looked like he made some more strides passing. He enrolled early (January) and spent last spring and fall with Rutgers. I'm not sure how interested we are or he is. He and Matt Miller just recently started following each other but all the other followers that have MSU ties have been following him for a while. Coach Risinger (his initial recruiter back when we offered him out of high school) and a bunch of our California underclassmen who probably played against him.


Image

msutrackfan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: QB position

Post by msutrackfan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Is Rutger’s HC, Chris Ash, Rob Ash’s son? He was a GA at Drake a while back!



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6576
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: QB position

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm

msutrackfan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Is Rutger’s HC, Chris Ash, Rob Ash’s son? He was a GA at Drake a while back!
Nope. Different family altogether. Here is his bio:

https://scarletknights.com/coaches.aspx ... h=football


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4067
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: QB position

Post by gtapp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm
Since QB appears to be the topic of choice, AGAIN, for the off-season I would like to hear some posters' perspective on what type of QB they would prefer and an explanation. All based on what the current offensive scheme has been. So pick one.

1) Marginal passer who has a canon for an arm but lacks great accuracy on roughly 50 percent of his throws and has a tendency to does not let pass plays develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is phenomenal runner. He has great top speed and can drag a defender until they decide to let go or finally gets taken down by a gang tackle, but lacks the ability to make defenders miss in space and will try to outrun them. However, he can be called upon in short yardage situations because he has the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.

2) Phenomenal passer with a canon for an arm. Can hit 10-15 yard out and crossing routes on a rope and is has great accuracy and touch on long balls. But has marginal running ability with less than 5 design run plays a game, but knows when to scramble in the open field for the yards he can take easily

3) Marginal passer who has an average strength arm but lacks great accuracy. At least 30 pass plays are called a game but 5-10 of those are sacks/scrambles/wasted play due to them not waiting for the plays to develop and takes off with a hint of pressure. On the flip side this QB is an absolute dynamic runner. He has top speed and is as slippery as they get. Can make defenders miss, but in the short game doesn't have the power to push the pile on a 4th & 1-2.
Look at the 3 finalists for the Heisman. All can throw, see the field, make great decisions and can run as well as any RB. That is what we want. Obviously those types of QB's are not coming to MSU but a poor mans version would be nice.


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: QB position

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:19 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Who is out there we are pursuing? I think there will me more guys looking for positions once the season is over, but any idea on other options?
It was reported in another thread that Cat coaches are following 3 star Rutgers transfer Jalen Chatman. The guy can pass and run. Has some wheels. I think he is a redshirt freshman.
Sounds like Travis Jonsen....



bobcatbob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1700
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:04 pm

Re: QB position

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:19 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Who is out there we are pursuing? I think there will me more guys looking for positions once the season is over, but any idea on other options?
It was reported in another thread that Cat coaches are following 3 star Rutgers transfer Jalen Chatman. The guy can pass and run. Has some wheels. I think he is a redshirt freshman.
Sounds like Travis Jonsen....
From his Hudl, looks to be a much better passer. He looks solid. Can really see why he was a three star. Cali to Rutgers is a big move. Maybe he just didn’t like the east coast and being so far away.



superbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: QB position

Post by superbobcat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 am

Does anybody know the official status on Murray? Is he back in Bozeman, coming back, or is that just a bunch of gossip? It would be a great story if he could put it together and return better than ever. As young as he is, a year off may have been a good thing.



Post Reply