Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Just listened to the Tootell and Nuanez show from last Friday where they are comparing the trajectory of Montana State vs Montana in football. There was discussion on recruiting, and labeled Choate as a terrible recruiter, and how Bobby was going to out recruit him.

Really?

A top 5 national recruiting class last year, with the Washington player of the year in Infanse, is terrible?

I understand the QB issue, but Choate is not a terrible recruiter.

It will be interesting to see how Bobby does now that Montana isn't the dominant team in the Big Sky like the last time he was there. The Big Sky has changed.

He clearly wasn't some great recruiter at UNLV.

I think the recruiting will be pretty even.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Should add that Tootell wasn't on the show and they had a guest sit in.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Tootell's playing and pandering to his audience. As far as Tootell is concerned, I view it as nothing more than a good business decision.

Edit: didn't see JimboCat's update until after I posted.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:20 pm

What was the rationale behind Choate being a terrible recruiter? Any substance to that statement?

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm

QB situation. We ended up with a linebacker at QB. And they got Sulser.

Bobby had a QB situation and brought in Snead and Humphrey so he is clearly better.

Sulser is a legacy.

What if Snead and Humphrey had a broken foot? And the 3rd stringer was out do to grades?

I understand it is a Missoula show, confirmation bias and all, but come on, Choate is not a terrible recruiter.

No mention of Infanse or top recruiting class, as rated by an unbiased person.

Right now I would take Infanse over Sulser.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Whoever was on that radio show and said that, doesn't know what they're talking about. Choate's last 2 recruiting classes were ranked nationally as one of the best FCS recruiting classes that year. Its true that QB hasn't worked out yet. But you can't look at 1 position only and decide that a coach can't recruit, especially without the context of that situation.
It was griz homers being griz homers.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm

That’s just a ridiculous statement for those griz fans to make. Time will tell who recruits better. You can’t seriously make that statement this early.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 pm
Whoever was on that radio show and said that, doesn't know what they're talking about. Choate's last 2 recruiting classes were ranked nationally as one of the best FCS recruiting classes that year. Its true that QB hasn't worked out yet. But you can't look at 1 position only and decide that a coach can't recruit, especially without the context of that situation.
It was griz homers being griz homers.
#FGHBGH

For griz homers, by griz homers. :lol:

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I haven’t listened to the show yet, so I don’t know the context or if the original OP is overreacting or overstating what was actually said.

I do know Bobby has scored some key commitments with some 3 star guys that both he and Choate were hard after in Elwell and Edwards in Idaho as well as Walker in Washington. He also flipped a legacy Cat in Gradney and a legacy Eagle in McGourin to the Griz class, so I have been extremely impressed with his recruiting so far.

Choate has been a good recruiter, too, in my opinion. He really has only struck out at QB, whether that be bad luck or a bad hand or poor recruting, but that’s really the only spot he has struggled with. Other than that he has put some good classes together for sure and has probably beat Bobby or others in the heads up battles, too.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Tootell and Nuanez are including a lot more Montana State discussion, and for the most part are unbiased and give an honest opinion, that is why I listen. Some good stuff. I skip through most of the Griz discussion.

There was a guest host this time with Colter.

He also called the Cat Griz game a "lucky" win for us.

An unbiased person would say the Cat Griz game was very even and came down to one play at the end. On "the Stuff", the Griz were out coached and out played handily. I'll take that luck every time.

Just goes to show the Griz fan's mindset. If they lose, its because they were unlucky.

I won't listen anymore when they have a guest host, too biased. (No push back from Colter on the "lucky" win).

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm
Choate has been a good recruiter, too, in my opinion. He really has only struck out at QB, whether that be bad luck or a bad hand or poor recruting, but that’s really the only spot he has struggled with. Other than that he has put some good classes together for sure and has probably beat Bobby or others in the heads up battles, too.
I have to think that if Miller remains as OC, that will boost confidence for both QB's and WR's on the team and potential recruits. The playbook will be different.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:39 pm

I feel Choate has done a great job with recruiting. However his job is going to get a lot tougher and I think it will be due to facilities. UM now has a huge advantage in that area. Yes, it is only one factor but it is a big one.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm

A caller who does his own Griz fan podcast was the one who called Choate a terrible recruiter and I defended him. As mentioned, Tootell was not there so he had nothing to do with Friday’s show.

And if you listen to the show every day, I’ve done hours and hours on the trajectory of the Bobcat program, how impressed I am with Jeff Choate and the thorough coaching win that led to the Cat-Griz win in Missoula. I try my best to not repeat myself so to get the full view, you’ll have to listen every day - live stream and podcast available at 1029espn.com.

We have 10 hours of live radio a week. I estimate right now we do 3-4 of those hours on the Bobcats. On Missoula ESPN radio. Our Montana Football Hour today, I will be joined by Brooks Nuanez for 45 minutes to talk MSU and then EWU beat writer Ryan Collingwood the last 15.

We are very close to pushing the show state wide. Stay tuned. And thanks for listening!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm
A caller who does his own Griz fan podcast was the one who called Choate a terrible recruiter and I defended him. As mentioned, Tootell was not there so he had nothing to do with Friday’s show.

And if you listen to the show every day, I’ve done hours and hours on the trajectory of the Bobcat program, how impressed I am with Jeff Choate and the thorough coaching win that led to the Cat-Griz win in Missoula. I try my best to not repeat myself so to get the full view, you’ll have to listen every day - live stream and podcast available at 1029espn.com.

We have 10 hours of live radio a week. I estimate right now we do 3-4 of those hours on the Bobcats. On Missoula ESPN radio. Our Montana Football Hour today, I will be joined by Brooks Nuanez for 45 minutes to talk MSU and then EWU beat writer Ryan Collingwood the last 15.

We are very close to pushing the show state wide. Stay tuned. And thanks for listening!
Colter is spot on. I listened to last Fridays episode this morning. It was a listener who called in that called Choate a poor recruiter and Colter immediately shut that down. The guest co-host was definitely a griz homer. And Im fine with that. I could care less if he thinks the Cats win in Missoula was lucky. He also said that he hopes NDSU rolled us. Honestly, I love hearing that. Mainly because thats how I feel towards the griz every Saturday they suit up. Its apart of the rivalry. Its a Missoula based show, so yes there is plenty of griz stuff to wade through or skip past. Not a big deal.

I live in Southern Wyoming and I really enjoy the fact that I can listen to their shows via the internet. I am not surrounded by Cat or griz media coverage. Which hasnt been an issue with the launch of Skyline Sports and the Montana Football Hour. I was home hunting during Cat/griz week and downloaded all the podcasts to listen to each morning while driving to our hunting spots. My dad, who could never figure out how to download or listen to a podcast couldnt believe the knowledge and in-depth review of both teams as well as game breakdowns. I feel lucky to have Colter covering the Big Sky.

Hating the griz since 02.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Considering it's a football show out of Missoula (and mostly for Missoula), I think Colter does a great job of presenting a fair argument for MSU. Tootell isn't much of a believer in anything MSU is doing, but Colter keeps him balanced pretty well. I've only listened a handful of times but I've been happy with the fair coverage the Cats get in enemy territory.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:22 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:20 pm
What was the rationale behind Choate being a terrible recruiter? Any substance to that statement?
A caller called in to the show and said that. Colter actually immediately disagreed. No one hosting the show said Choate was a terrible recruiter.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:25 pm

btribby wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Colter is spot on. I listened to last Fridays episode this morning. It was a listener who called in that called Choate a poor recruiter and Colter immediately shut that down. The guest co-host was definitely a griz homer. And Im fine with that. I could care less if he thinks the Cats win in Missoula was lucky. He also said that he hopes NDSU rolled us. Honestly, I love hearing that. Mainly because thats how I feel towards the griz every Saturday they suit up. Its apart of the rivalry. Its a Missoula based show, so yes there is plenty of griz stuff to wade through or skip past. Not a big deal.

I live in Southern Wyoming and I really enjoy the fact that I can listen to their shows via the internet. I am not surrounded by Cat or griz media coverage. Which hasnt been an issue with the launch of Skyline Sports and the Montana Football Hour. I was home hunting during Cat/griz week and downloaded all the podcasts to listen to each morning while driving to our hunting spots. My dad, who could never figure out how to download or listen to a podcast couldnt believe the knowledge and in-depth review of both teams as well as game breakdowns. I feel lucky to have Colter covering the Big Sky.
Without Colter (and his brother) we'd have almost no media coverage of MSU. I think we can all be thankful for what he does. The insights on the podcasts/radio are great. Something you don't get from an article.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 pm

btribby wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Full disclosure. I am the Griz fan homer who co-hosted, haha. I love Troy Andersen, if that helps, but yes I am most definitely 1) A Griz Fan & 2) Not a journalist. I do not think Choate is a terrible recruiter, that is ridiculous. I was rooting against the cats, I know there are some on both sides who root for the other, anad some who don't... I do laugh at the fact that some cat fans rail on Colter for hating the Bobcats because many Griz fans feel he is was too hard on the Griz and loves the cats. All about perspective. For me personally, I think Colter is in love with Choate and needs to be reigned in a bit! ;-)

I am posting because your second paragraph is spot on. I don't think cat or griz fans understand how lucky we are to have Skyline sports and Colter doing the daily radio show covering the Griz and Cats, and the Big Sky. They have at least one coach from the league on every week, preview many of the games, and I think really educate people on the rest of the league in a way we haven't had, while also telling us a lot about our teams. Frankly, MSU athletics understands this way better than UM athletics does, and gives Colter better access to layer interviews, etc. Sometimes I think people look for reasons to be offended...

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm

I should have been more clear that it was a caller who said the comment, and after relistening to that part, Colter did defend Choate, my mistake.

As I said a few posts back, I think the Tootell and Nuanez show is good unbiased coverage of the Cats. I am looking forward to it being state wide. At least the Cats part.

Grzz, you still think the Cats got "lucky" by winning the Cat Griz game?

Also, you said part of Choate's recruiting success was his drop downs, and that was mostly a result of his UW pipeline., with is going to dry up. I might be wrong, but we have only had one drop down (Sterk) so far, with another coming next year.

*edit - Only one drop down from UW