Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am
So are we comparing Choate to when the Griz were king of the heap Bobby or just this last year?
Well, we need to start with some kind of flowchart or decision tree that ends with Bobbynotbob as god emperor king. That's who we're comparing Choate to. Just to clear up any confusion.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

I would’ve said the Griz got lucky if the roles were reversed. I thought they were lucky to get up 22 and return that Kickoff to the 50. :wink:
True. And they got extremely lucky to convert a 3rd-and-16 and a 3rd-and-19 on their FG drive, too. :-^

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am

I agree, I wouldn't call that lucky since it was a great defensive play. But I get why Griz fans would.

Colter's show is great, pretty unbiased (he is a really big Hauck guy though), and I love the commentary Gus and Colter provide. I really hope there is a Bozeman counterpart, then each show could focus on their respective team.

GRZZ is on the Montana Mint Griz Podcast, which I did try and listen to once and it became clear that Cat listeners need not apply. File that into the "duh" category, but I was curious since we were starting our podcast and I was studying other similar podcasts. I've listened to a few other fan podcasts and the Griz one was definitely the most pro-us anti-them one I listened to. Nothing wrong with that, it's a fan podcast after all, but it's not surprising to hear GRZZ call in and spout the same things said in the Mint one. Not sure he or the other guy have an objective bone in their body, but Brint is a good dude.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 am

Choate is a good recruiter.

Hauck is a good recruiter.

It's going to be fun to have both of them battling the state for the next couple years.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:16 am

One of the definitions of a miracle is "a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences." Call it a miracle sure cause that was an improbable play made in that situation by Collins, Yates and Marks jumping on the ball. But not luck. Miracle actually has no definition referencing luck.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 am

GRZZ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 pm
btribby wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm
Colter is spot on. I listened to last Fridays episode this morning. It was a listener who called in that called Choate a poor recruiter and Colter immediately shut that down. The guest co-host was definitely a griz homer. And Im fine with that. I could care less if he thinks the Cats win in Missoula was lucky. He also said that he hopes NDSU rolled us. Honestly, I love hearing that. Mainly because thats how I feel towards the griz every Saturday they suit up. Its apart of the rivalry. Its a Missoula based show, so yes there is plenty of griz stuff to wade through or skip past. Not a big deal.

I live in Southern Wyoming and I really enjoy the fact that I can listen to their shows via the internet. I am not surrounded by Cat or griz media coverage. Which hasnt been an issue with the launch of Skyline Sports and the Montana Football Hour. I was home hunting during Cat/griz week and downloaded all the podcasts to listen to each morning while driving to our hunting spots. My dad, who could never figure out how to download or listen to a podcast couldnt believe the knowledge and in-depth review of both teams as well as game breakdowns. I feel lucky to have Colter covering the Big Sky.
Full disclosure. I am the Griz fan homer who co-hosted, haha. I love Troy Andersen, if that helps, but yes I am most definitely 1) A Griz Fan & 2) Not a journalist. I do not think Choate is a terrible recruiter, that is ridiculous. I was rooting against the cats, I know there are some on both sides who root for the other, anad some who don't... I do laugh at the fact that some cat fans rail on Colter for hating the Bobcats because many Griz fans feel he is was too hard on the Griz and loves the cats. All about perspective. For me personally, I think Colter is in love with Choate and needs to be reigned in a bit! ;-)

I am posting because your second paragraph is spot on. I don't think cat or griz fans understand how lucky we are to have Skyline sports and Colter doing the daily radio show covering the Griz and Cats, and the Big Sky. They have at least one coach from the league on every week, preview many of the games, and I think really educate people on the rest of the league in a way we haven't had, while also telling us a lot about our teams. Frankly, MSU athletics understands this way better than UM athletics does, and gives Colter better access to layer interviews, etc. Sometimes I think people look for reasons to be offended...
Sometimes? See, this is just another example of Griz fans not being willing to give us credit. I think we can usually find ways to interpret things as slights. Sometimes! Bah! :wink:

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:13 pm

If we’re still talking recruiting battle, don’t forget that Choate has gotten commitments from 2 (maybe 3?) o-line prospects the Griz have offered, and we know how much help they need there. Point is there are plenty of recruits both schools are going after, some harder than others. I think the biggest losses for the cats are Elwell and Gradney.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Here's the second hour of the show co-hosted by Mike that is the topic of discussion for those interested:

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am
I agree, I wouldn't call that lucky since it was a great defensive play. But I get why Griz fans would.

Colter's show is great, pretty unbiased (he is a really big Hauck guy though), and I love the commentary Gus and Colter provide. I really hope there is a Bozeman counterpart, then each show could focus on their respective team.

GRZZ is on the Montana Mint Griz Podcast, which I did try and listen to once and it became clear that Cat listeners need not apply. File that into the "duh" category, but I was curious since we were starting our podcast and I was studying other similar podcasts. I've listened to a few other fan podcasts and the Griz one was definitely the most pro-us anti-them one I listened to. Nothing wrong with that, it's a fan podcast after all, but it's not surprising to hear GRZZ call in and spout the same things said in the Mint one. Not sure he or the other guy have an objective bone in their body, but Brint is a good dude.
What's your podcast called? I'll give it a listen.

As shocking as it may sound, there are Griz fans that think I am too negative on the pod. Bahahaha. I don't think we are anti-cat, we just spend most of the time talking about who the griz played the week before and who they play the week after and it is a Griz Fan podcast. Not to be confused with the other sports podcast on MT Mint. If you listened regularly, you would know how much we all love Troy Andersen, so there is that.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:49 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm
JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm
I should have been more clear that it was a caller who said the comment, and after relistening to that part, Colter did defend Choate, my mistake.

As I said a few posts back, I think the Tootell and Nuanez show is good unbiased coverage of the Cats. I am looking forward to it being state wide. At least the Cats part.

Grzz, you still think the Cats got "lucky" by winning the Cat Griz game?

Also, you said part of Choate's recruiting success was his drop downs, and that was mostly a result of his UW pipeline., with is going to dry up. I might be wrong, but we have only had one drop down (Sterk) so far, with another coming next year.

*edit - Only one drop down from UW
Haha, I know this is a controversial take on a cat board, but I don't think an unattached third party would have a huge problem with me suggesting that cats got lucky at the end with a fumble. Probably all about perspective again ;-)

My comment was more that it seems every year he is signing a transfer from UW, and I wonder if this is the last year we see that as a regular given that most of the guys who were there when he was will he seniors.

I think it would be cool if they could get a radio affiliate in Bozeman so they would get obnoxious callers from both fan bases similar to Finbaum in SEC country.

I will also confess I sometimes call the cats TAU, Troy Andersen University.
What makes you think it's all about the UW players? Jeff also has an edge there because of his relationships with the coaching staff. They're not going anywhere for a while.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:49 pm
GRZZ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm
JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm
I should have been more clear that it was a caller who said the comment, and after relistening to that part, Colter did defend Choate, my mistake.

As I said a few posts back, I think the Tootell and Nuanez show is good unbiased coverage of the Cats. I am looking forward to it being state wide. At least the Cats part.

Grzz, you still think the Cats got "lucky" by winning the Cat Griz game?

Also, you said part of Choate's recruiting success was his drop downs, and that was mostly a result of his UW pipeline., with is going to dry up. I might be wrong, but we have only had one drop down (Sterk) so far, with another coming next year.

*edit - Only one drop down from UW
Haha, I know this is a controversial take on a cat board, but I don't think an unattached third party would have a huge problem with me suggesting that cats got lucky at the end with a fumble. Probably all about perspective again ;-)

My comment was more that it seems every year he is signing a transfer from UW, and I wonder if this is the last year we see that as a regular given that most of the guys who were there when he was will he seniors.

I think it would be cool if they could get a radio affiliate in Bozeman so they would get obnoxious callers from both fan bases similar to Finbaum in SEC country.

I will also confess I sometimes call the cats TAU, Troy Andersen University.
What makes you think it's all about the UW players? Jeff also has an edge there because of his relationships with the coaching staff. They're not going anywhere for a while.
A few Bobcat alumni on the UW staff doesn’t hurt either.

DLane
New Recruit

Post by DLane » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am

DLane wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.
Sure. That was his choice. Okaaayyyyy.......

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am

DLane: you’re saying if Sulser is injured he won’t use his redshirt and use his fifth year and plans on graduating in four years and moving on?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 am

DLane wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Um, I know. I've heard the same thing. If I was the head coach I'd have given him more than 20 touches in a season. I'd have given him at least 10 per game. But hey, what you guys have going on over there is working wonders. #RTD

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am
DLane wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Haha, yeah Sulser is allowed to make that call but easily the best RB on the team, Calhoun, was told to kick rocks.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am

lutecat wrote:
DLane wrote:
Cledus wrote:

He made it known during his recruiting that he would be there for 4 years and that's all.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I believe Herbert said the same thing in his recruitment by Ash. He was only going to be here 4 yrs and off to grad school.

GO CATS!!!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am
lutecat wrote:
DLane wrote:
Cledus wrote:

He made it known during his recruiting that he would be there for 4 years and that's all.
This is correct. Funny how others here want to bash the poster who said so initially. But once a cat fan confirms it, crickets.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Did you enjoy watching us in the playoffs this year? Or were you content with watching your Fizzlies on the history channel? #crickets. I am quite sure that prospective recruits noticed the MSU Bobcats were in the playoffs.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG