Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2096
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:23 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 pm
Oh! Another LB recruit in Cole Oster who I hope gets to RS, but I can't imagine there are many BSC recruits better than this kid.
That is high praise. I'll have to go read up on him.

Do you think your receivers would seem better to you with a more traditional passer or is there an immediate need there? The Oregon QB/WR seemed to be settling in as a receiver against the Griz.

I have heard Hauck talk more than once about the importance of a QB recruit in every class for consistent depth.

Do you think anything about the NDSU game changed Choate's view on needs immediate or long term?

The Griz roster is so odd right now. They could clearly use transfers on the OLine and DLine or those units are going to be young. The OLine especially, though in some cases the guys redshirting this year may be an improvement. A CB would be nice too...all easy positions to get a transfer, haha.

I also think Hauck needs to find another QB for this class. Even if Humphrey starts after Sneed, that is only a one year solution. I know they have a commitment from the Bozeman high kid, but I'm not sure how he projects at this level.

All this to say Bobby was a great recruiter at UM last time, we'll see if he still has it because this is an important year for the overhaul.
I worry about their ability to separate a little. Jonsen can, but his ball skills need to improve IMO.


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9358
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am
DLane wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.
Sure. That was his choice. Okaaayyyyy.......
Haha, yeah Sulser is allowed to make that call but easily the best RB on the team, Calhoun, was told to kick rocks.
I wonder if Calhoun could transfer here using the grad transfer rule? Not sure that question has been asked between Big Sky schools?


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9358
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am
I agree, I wouldn't call that lucky since it was a great defensive play. But I get why Griz fans would.

Colter's show is great, pretty unbiased (he is a really big Hauck guy though), and I love the commentary Gus and Colter provide. I really hope there is a Bozeman counterpart, then each show could focus on their respective team.

GRZZ is on the Montana Mint Griz Podcast, which I did try and listen to once and it became clear that Cat listeners need not apply. File that into the "duh" category, but I was curious since we were starting our podcast and I was studying other similar podcasts. I've listened to a few other fan podcasts and the Griz one was definitely the most pro-us anti-them one I listened to. Nothing wrong with that, it's a fan podcast after all, but it's not surprising to hear GRZZ call in and spout the same things said in the Mint one. Not sure he or the other guy have an objective bone in their body, but Brint is a good dude.
What's your podcast called? I'll give it a listen.

As shocking as it may sound, there are Griz fans that think I am too negative on the pod. Bahahaha. I don't think we are anti-cat, we just spend most of the time talking about who the griz played the week before and who they play the week after and it is a Griz Fan podcast. Not to be confused with the other sports podcast on MT Mint. If you listened regularly, you would know how much we all love Troy Andersen, so there is that.
Late response, podcast is "R&R Cat Cast", link in my signature.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am
SACCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 am
GRZZ wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:23 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 pm
Oh! Another LB recruit in Cole Oster who I hope gets to RS, but I can't imagine there are many BSC recruits better than this kid.
That is high praise. I'll have to go read up on him.

Do you think your receivers would seem better to you with a more traditional passer or is there an immediate need there? The Oregon QB/WR seemed to be settling in as a receiver against the Griz.

I have heard Hauck talk more than once about the importance of a QB recruit in every class for consistent depth.

Do you think anything about the NDSU game changed Choate's view on needs immediate or long term?

The Griz roster is so odd right now. They could clearly use transfers on the OLine and DLine or those units are going to be young. The OLine especially, though in some cases the guys redshirting this year may be an improvement. A CB would be nice too...all easy positions to get a transfer, haha.

I also think Hauck needs to find another QB for this class. Even if Humphrey starts after Sneed, that is only a one year solution. I know they have a commitment from the Bozeman high kid, but I'm not sure how he projects at this level.

All this to say Bobby was a great recruiter at UM last time, we'll see if he still has it because this is an important year for the overhaul.
The one area that Hauck did well at in the last go round, was finding talent at the walk-on level. Some of the best players to play for him in the past were walk-ons. It is something that Choate and company need to get better at...Finding the diamond in the ruff
I don't follow Montana football close enough to know all of the diamonds in the rough, but I'm curious, who are some of those diamonds that Choate and crew didn't find?
You don’t find walk-ons. Walk-ons are guys that weren’t offered scholarship and have been overlooked by everyone. It is hard for any coach to claim credit for “finding” a walk on.
Not true at all.

Most walk ons are "recruited".

Correct. For example, Kevin Kassis was a recruited walk-on.
I can see those points. I have always viewed a walk-on as a guy who believes he can play FCS and trys out for the team. Seems if you are a preferred or a partial, you are a recruit. Regardless of the interpretation, it seems a little tricky-tacky to downgrade a coach because they have not been successful finding a good walk-on.

And Borges will be an all-conference player. Serious stud with great instincts!



User avatar
exppi
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Boise

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by exppi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am
DLane wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.
Sure. That was his choice. Okaaayyyyy.......
Haha, yeah Sulser is allowed to make that call but easily the best RB on the team, Calhoun, was told to kick rocks.
I wonder if Calhoun could transfer here using the grad transfer rule? Not sure that question has been asked between Big Sky schools?
If he chooses a graduate degree not offered at dUMB, why not.



GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by GRZZ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:46 pm

exppi wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am
DLane wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.
Sure. That was his choice. Okaaayyyyy.......
Haha, yeah Sulser is allowed to make that call but easily the best RB on the team, Calhoun, was told to kick rocks.
I wonder if Calhoun could transfer here using the grad transfer rule? Not sure that question has been asked between Big Sky schools?
If he chooses a graduate degree not offered at dUMB, why not.
Here I thought we had made all kinds of progress in this thread, then this...

Also, while Jeremy Calhoun would definitely be our best returning back at the moment, would he even be top three for you guys? Aren't you somewhat deep at RB?


“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9358
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by CelticCat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:27 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:46 pm
exppi wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am
DLane wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Sulser was never coming to MSU, even if Pete Carroll was the head coach and Norm Chow was the offensive coordinator. That Sulser went to um was never a huge recruiting coups, no matter what they make it sound like.

Furthermore, on the year I think he had fewer than 20 touches and now he's got one fewer year of eligibility. So, great job on managing his eligibility. #RTD
Um, he made the decision not to redshirt and to play 4 years and then graduate. So, yeah they are actually doing a fine job of managing his eligibility.
Sure. That was his choice. Okaaayyyyy.......
Haha, yeah Sulser is allowed to make that call but easily the best RB on the team, Calhoun, was told to kick rocks.
I wonder if Calhoun could transfer here using the grad transfer rule? Not sure that question has been asked between Big Sky schools?
If he chooses a graduate degree not offered at dUMB, why not.
Here I thought we had made all kinds of progress in this thread, then this...

Also, while Jeremy Calhoun would definitely be our best returning back at the moment, would he even be top three for you guys? Aren't you somewhat deep at RB?
We'll have Isaiah Ifanse, Logan Jones, (TROY ANDERSEN?) as guys with substantial experience, then Tyrel Burgess and Karl Tucker as guys with some experience, then a handful of freshman.

I think Calhoun would be 2nd, maybe 3rd on the depth chart in terms of everydown, normal running situations. Jones and Andersen are situational. Burgess is a change of pace back and Tucker, who knows he just doesn't seem to get any carries.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

Post Reply