Will they stay or will they go?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Will they stay or will they go?

Post by superbobcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I personally feel Matt Miller did more than enough to keep the title of OC. When he gets a few more pieces to the puzzle in place, he will really show his knowledge.

Coach Choate- He always seems to be mentioned in links to jobs. Last week a knowledgeable griz booster told me it was heard in Missoula that he was interested in the Colorado job. I just don’t see Coach leaving right now for other jobs. Unfinished business.

Coach TY- Will stay ... again unfinished business.

Coach Armstrong— Coach Choate has said he handled the situation professionally,but will that be enough?

Our staff is solid, I hope they are able to stay together for another year. Time will tell.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Will they stay or will they go?

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:03 pm

complete speculation here- but I would guess that Choate would love the opportunity to coach his son these next 4 years (among other reasons why he would like to stay)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 pm

There is a vacancy on the staff. It will be interesting to see how Coach Choate chooses to fill it.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm

I had mentioned it in another thread, and this isn’t meant as a diss towards Choate, but at this point at MSU I just don’t think his resume is getting him serious looks from the FBS.
He’s 17-18 right now. I think he’ll improve on that every year and maybe in 2-3 more years I could absolutely see it.
I’d just be very surprised if anything happened with him this year or next.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Choate isn't leaving yet.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Mel Tucker hired as head coach of Colorado. Choate is staying.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

imacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 pm
There is a vacancy on the staff. It will be interesting to see how Coach Choate chooses to fill it.
With the coaching carousel starting, some folks might be considering upgrading.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:12 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:56 pm
I personally feel Matt Miller did more than enough to keep the title of OC. When he gets a few more pieces to the puzzle in place, he will really show his knowledge.

Coach Choate- He always seems to be mentioned in links to jobs. Last week a knowledgeable griz booster told me it was heard in Missoula that he was interested in the Colorado job. I just don’t see Coach leaving right now for other jobs. Unfinished business.

Coach Armstrong— Coach Choate has said he handled the situation professionally,but will that be enough?

Our staff is solid, I hope they are able to stay together for another year. Time will tell.
I could see Armstrong throwing his hat in the ring for the Carroll job. With his previous Frontier Conference experience, it would be a good fit and he would be a head coach again.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 pm

I think miller stays at OC. Will be interesting to see how everything else shakes out. I’d like to see Daniel DaPrato get a shot at the WR job.

I think Armstrong is a really good coach and I’d like to see him stick around.

The other guy I’m keeping an eye on is BJ. Great dude who has a million Montana connections, but his only coaching duty was special teams and they haven’t been great.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm

The main need, assuming everybody stays, is a QB coach. Does McGhee move back to QB's and look for a new RB coach?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:20 pm
The main need, assuming everybody stays, is a QB coach. Does McGhee move back to QB's and look for a new RB coach?
I assume matt stays in that role. But yeah, that’s a great question.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm

If Armstrong is on the staff next year I would be shocked. He has been over his head since he got here. I don’t have a vendetta against Brian, but I called it when he got here and I stand by it. If Choate wants the next level he is gonna have to cut ties with some guys and Armstrong is one of them.

If your left, you aren’t right.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Every year I worry about losing Ty. I've always heard he wants to be a head coach, and right now there are 2 Big Sky vacancies. We shall see.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm

superbobcat wrote:

Ty's about due for a promotion. I'd love to see him stay, but he's outgrown his job.

Choate gave up a great gig in Seattle to come here. I can't see him getting a better offer than he had at UW. Plus, as someone mentioned, his kid is on the team and he has another in middle school or high school. I just don't see a 3 year head coach with a losing record getting a great offer at this point. Plus, I think he REALLY wants to win a national championship.

Army? Hard telling. My gut says he's going to do whatever Choate asks, but its hard telling.

Miller looks like he's got the inside track on being an OC here. Thats a great stepping stone for him. He'd be crazy to leave if that's on the table.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm
superbobcat wrote:

Ty's about due for a promotion. I'd love to see him stay, but he's outgrown his job.
Agreed on Gregorak. I think we all knew this would be a temporary stop for him. He was a good DC for those other guys and he’s been a good DC for the Cats.

I’d love for him to stay for as long as possible, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s here another year or two, but I think it’s a matter of time before he gets his shot somewhere to be the head coach.
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm
superbobcat wrote:

Agreed on Gregorak. I think we all new this would be a temporary stop for him. He was a good DC for those other guys and he’s been a good DC for the Cats.

I’d love for him to stay for as long as possible, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s here another year or two, but I think it’s a matter of time before he gets his shot somewhere to be the head coach.
It’s not whether he’ll get a shot but rather what he wants to do. My understanding is that he’s pretty content right now. I think we keep ty for at least a couple more seasons.

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:56 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm
I had mentioned it in another thread, and this isn’t meant as a diss towards Choate, but at this point at MSU I just don’t think his resume is getting him serious looks from the FBS.
He’s 17-18 right now. I think he’ll improve on that every year and maybe in 2-3 more years I could absolutely see it.
I’d just be very surprised if anything happened with him this year or next.
Look at the resumes of all the FCS head coaches that move up to the FBS in recent years, they all have at least one national championship and multiple conference championships. Until that happens, I'm not worried about Choate going FBS.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm

The only way I'd be disappointed if Choate left for a FBS school if it were for a crap program such as UNLV or New Mexico State. If he were to do that, I'd say it says more about MSU and our administrators than anything else.

If he left for a P5 program I'd be very happy for him and would think that would attract high quality applicants.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm
If Armstrong is on the staff next year I would be shocked. He has been over his head since he got here. I don’t have a vendetta against Brian, but I called it when he got here and I stand by it. If Choate wants the next level he is gonna have to cut ties with some guys and Armstrong is one of them.
I completely agree. This was a bad hire and it is time to cut ties.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

imacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 pm
I completely agree. This was a bad hire and it is time to cut ties.
Does Armstrong go back to Rocky?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."