Who is our QB next year?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

2019 Bobcat QB is......

Poll ended at Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Troy Anderson
8%
Tucker Rovig
22%
Casey Bauman
20%
Gresch Jensen
18%
Devon Modster
20%
Other
14%

Total votes: 51

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Who is our QB next year?

Post by RobertCats » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I know an incredible season JUST ended, but let's have some fun with this. We are taking half-court shots today vs a layup in a couple of weeks. Who is under center next year for the Cats? Anderson was a stud at QB but thinking of a LB corps of Kanow, Hill & Anderson makes my pants get a little tighter. Who you got Bobcat Nation?
Last edited by RobertCats on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Who is our QB next year?

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Chris Murray. Before you flame away at me, consider how choate feels about the qb +1 run game. Maybe not likely, I get that, but don't count that option out completely.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm

I think the poll should have 2 choices. TA and the field.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:23 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:17 pm
Chris Murray. Before you flame away at me, consider how choate feels about the qb +1 run game. Maybe not likely, I get that, but don't count that option out completely.
Great point! I thought about including Murray, but feel like he may be the long shot as of right now. Considering how he battled back this semester academically I will NEVER count this kid out.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:29 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:23 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Great point! I thought about including Murray, but feel like he may be the long shot as of right now. Considering how he battled back this semester academically I will NEVER count this kid out.
And, he's an elite runner. That helps him if we don't change our offense.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Beltran is the sleeper. He was MVP of the scout team this year. He is a really tough kid and a winner. He can run and pass. He came in late last year and kind of went under the radar. He is in the Lulay mold.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm

We don’t need a runner we need a thrower that runs at the last second if needed

If your left, you aren’t right.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm

What we need is a quarterback! Somebody that can run the ball and somebody that can pass the ball. But he needs to be a quarterback at heart who can make decisions at the line of scrimmage. He needs to be able to read defenses and get us into the right plays. I don’t give a rats ass who it is, but they better get better at making decisions.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
We don’t need a runner we need a thrower that runs at the last second if needed
Amen, he wasn't my vote, but my heart really wants Jensen. We immediately improve QB and LB in this instance. Kid is an athlete that can make all the throws but can move in the pocket and tuck it and get upfield if he needs to.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:14 pm

I’ll tell you on national signing day. We don’t even know who is in the mix yet.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Choate hasn't recruited any QB like Murray since he's been here. The idea that that's the type of QB Choate wants is based on faulty logic.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Our starting QB most likely isn't on the roster right now.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Choate hasn't recruited any QB like Murray since he's been here. The idea that that's the type of QB Choate wants is based on faulty logic.
I'm only using his words to reach that conclusion. I think that's not what he came here wanting, but i think he's heard the siren call of the dual threat offense since he's been here. I'd say travis jonsen (recruited as qb) fits that mold, and Beltran to a degree also. Don't rule it out, is all i'm saying.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm
What we need is a quarterback! Somebody that can run the ball and somebody that can pass the ball. But he needs to be a quarterback at heart who can make decisions at the line of scrimmage. He needs to be able to read defenses and get us into the right plays. I don’t give a rats ass who it is, but they better get better at making decisions.
That is Beltran!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:25 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I'm only using his words to reach that conclusion. I think that's not what he came here wanting, but i think he's heard the siren call of the dual threat offense since he's been here. I'd say travis jonsen (recruited as qb) fits that mold, and Beltran to a degree also. Don't rule it out, is all i'm saying.
You have to be able to complete passes consistently to be a dual threat.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:25 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
You have to be able to complete passes consistently to be a dual threat.
Got it, thanks. That's why we didn't have a dual threat this season. Got that too. But if you haven't heard choate hold forth on the +1 run game, you've not been listening. Go watch the 17 SDSU and NAU games. Murray never did it consistently, but it's in him to do it. Put it this way: i believe there's a better chance the starting QB next year is someone like Murray than someone like rovig/bauman. Just my opinion.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 pm

My main concern is how much will Murray have progressed as a QB by next fall by having sat out an entire season?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 pm
My main concern is how much will Murray have progressed as a QB by next fall by having sat out an entire season?
This is the big question. Wasn't exactly a great "QB" before not being involved in football for a full year. Unless he found someone to train him while he was away from the team I'd be concerned about regression.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 pm
Should make for an interesting spring. I certainly don't think they'll hand it to him, and shouldn't. Be interesting to see how he's progressed physically, as he grows up a little. Will be very interesting, with him in the mix, especially if they bring in somebody like jensen. Your head swims with the offensive options in the run and play action game with Jones, jonsen, kassis, Murray and ifanse in the same formation though. Sprinkle in a little TA a couple series... :shock:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:24 pm

This spring should definitely be interesting and the coaches have a lot to consider regarding the direction they take the position/offense. Assuming Murray is back on the team when he gets back on campus we'll have two QBs that started approximately 26 of the last 30 games. These two ran an extremely run-heavy style of offense (regardless of what the %s say). Then we have a QB that started two games (and was on the way to more) who is more balanced as well as two RS Freshmen who seem to be of the same mold. That's all without the impact of a transfer.

Does the staff a) continue to roll with the style we've essentially been forced to run throughout Choate's tenure or b) do they build a system more suited to 3+ players that have seen very little to no playing time? If they go with option a) how much of our QB depth transfers? If they go with option b) what do they do with Murray? There wouldn't seem to be a place for him in the QB room at that point.

Choate needs to make a decision quickly not only on the above but on who his OC is going to be so that person has time to develop a system on paper before spring ball.