NDSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: NDSU

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 pm

lakesbison wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 pm
what most outsiders dont understand about NDSU and the Program is....

Players DO their jobs, there is no 1 on the team that thinks "I gotta get mine" We dont recruit that type. Its a mindset. Defense stays in thier lane, no missed assignments. Offense isnt flashy, but pounds you, then bootlegs and hits #20 for a 40 yard score.

I think Montana State is a good program and will show up saturday, but NDSU'S depth and crowd noise are 2 things youve never seen. NDSU'S D Line just throws 7-8 guys deep at you. its overwhelming over 4 quarters

beating ndsu would take Spread offense Shotgun for 50-60 plays and a Defensive Front Line that's out of this world good.
Cmon Lakes, You've been to Missoula, right? We handle crowd noise just fine. The 27,000 in Wa Griz are louder than the 19,000 in the Fargo Dome, even with no roof on top.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:14 pm

We'll have a few false starts or procedural penalties, and the NDSU crowd will go wild, but what they won't realize is that we do that crap anytime, anywhere. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:15 pm

lakesbison wrote:

Players DO their jobs, there is no 1 on the team that thinks "I gotta get mine" We dont recruit that type. Its a mindset. Defense stays in thier lane, no missed assignments. Offense isnt flashy, but pounds you, then bootlegs and hits #20 for a 40 yard score.

I think Montana State is a good program and will show up saturday, but NDSU'S depth and crowd noise are 2 things youve never seen. NDSU'S D Line just throws 7-8 guys deep at you. its overwhelming over 4 quarters

beating ndsu would take Spread offense Shotgun for 50-60 plays and a Defensive Front Line that's out of this world good.
You are pretty much describing MSU right there. I am not saying that we are at the same level NDSU is right now, but when our coach was hired he said the models for his team would be NDSU and Alabama. What he has built so far is the culture that you described above. Probably more than any other fanbase we probably understand better when makes NDSU a great program.

Just as an example of the culture that maybe you dont understand. In the summer our coaches lost the starting QB, with a transfer injured and the #2 not quite ready they called up our best linebacker prospect who played QB/LB in high school and ask him to start working his arm to give some additional competition. In the fall he won the job, he and all of us want him at LB and occasionally RB, but he is the next man up right now and the team and the fanbase rallies around him.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:14 pm
We'll have a few false starts or procedural penalties, and the NDSU crowd will go wild, but what they won't realize is that we do that crap anytime, anywhere. :lol:
Even at home with a relatively quiet crowd when on offense.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:16 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:35 pm
BisonBacker wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:51 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 pm
BisonBacker wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:41 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Cats92 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:29 pm
I know they haven’t played the toughest schedule this season. SDSU is obviously very talented, but they only beat them by 7. Our game against them earlier this season was a completely different team playing that day. Most of their games were played against sub .500 teams. I don’t know what to expect next weekend, other than the Cats to compete at a high level for the entire game.
They only beat SDSU by 4. I think we could have played SDSU tougher if we would have seen them later in the year. We are definitely an underdog but I think we can come out and surprise people by making it a game.
The CATS have come so far this season...it really is remarkable. I think NDSU will win this one...but I've been saying since yesterday we are NOT the team they wanted to roll into town Saturday. There are some nerves in Fargo right now; guaranteed.
Ok you keep telling yourself that :lol:
I don't think anybody is nervous, but I do think this is a better team than NDSU should have to play in their first round.
Oh I don't doubt MSU is a good team. I've only watched your playoff game this year and the rest of my opinions have been based on your score results with the rest of your schedule. I just thought that comment was funny. If those fans exist I don't know em. Nobody I know has concerns or doubts of the outcome of this game and yes I know AGS is a possibility. But player for player if both teams play to their best ability NDSU wins this hands down. I saw one poster here say something to the effect we haven't seen an athlete like your QB (at least i'm pretty sure that's who he was referring to) and I can only say you guy haven't seen a LB like Jabril Cox. The guy will be playing on Sundays. Looking forward to the game and hope to see plenty of MSU fans at the tailgate.
What about Cox haven't we seen? Not saying he isn't good but 68 tackles, 8 TFL, 4 sacks 0 FFs and 4 picks doesn't blow me away.

Dante Olson UM 151 tackles, 11 TFL, 6 sacks 3 FF and 2 picks.

Josh Buss UM 75 tackles, 9 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 pick.

Legrand Toia Weber 71 tackles, 12 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 FF.

Landon Stice Weber 64 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 FF, 4 picks.

Brayden Konkol MSU 83 tackles 4 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 2 picks.

Grant Collins MSU 76 tackles, 5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 2 FFs

Bryce Sterk MSU 60 tackles, 17 TFL!, 8.5 sacks!

We've seen guys like Cox, we have guys like Cox.
None of the players listed above are as good as Cox. Watch the tape. He’s special. He’s what Troy Andersen should be doing.

Going off of raw stats without watching anything tells you nothing. Absolutely nothing. He leads their defense. That should tell you something. Also have to account for the NDSU offense holding the ball a lot. The opportunity for high stats isn’t as great there. But believe me, he’s a better player than what we’ve seen. In terms of impact (not style) think of what that Hercules kid from Wazzu did to us. That’s the impact Cox has on that defense. He’s unreal. A true NFL talent already.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:33 pm

So vs our only common opponent this year Western Illinois;

versus WIU........MSU.........................NDSU
Points Scored......26............................34
Points Allowed.....23.............................7
Total Yds..........239..........................276
Yards Allowed....317..........................296
Rushing Yds.......158..........................153
Rush Yds Allwd...153.............................9
Passing Yds........81...........................123
Pass Yds Allwd...164...........................287
1st Downs..........12............................18
1st Downs Allwd..18............................15
Turnovers..........+1............................+3
Possession........23:35.......................28:21

NDSU played WIU on the road and we played them at home.

A few things that stick out to me;
* WIU possessed the ball longer than both us and NDSU
* NDSU held WIU to 9 yards rushing
* WIU outgained NDSU (but was -3 in turnovers)

I know we're a rushing team, but I think we'll have to pass for close to 200 yards because NDSU's run defense is pretty salty, and be at least +1 in turnovers. GO CATS!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:34 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:33 pm
So vs our only common opponent this year Western Illinois;

versus WIU........MSU.........................NDSU
Points Scored......26............................34
Points Allowed.....23.............................7
Total Yds..........239..........................276
Yards Allowed....317..........................296
Rushing Yds.......158..........................153
Rush Yds Allwd...153.............................9
Passing Yds........81...........................123
Pass Yds Allwd...164...........................287
1st Downs..........12............................18
1st Downs Allwd..18............................15
Turnovers..........+1............................+3
Possession........23:35.......................28:21

NDSU played WIU on the road and we played them at home.

A few things that stick out to me;
* WIU possessed the ball longer than both us and NDSU
* NDSU held WIU to 9 yards rushing
* WIU outgained NDSU (but was -3 in turnovers)

I know we're a rushing team, but I think we'll have to pass for close to 200 yards because NDSU's run defense is pretty salty, and be at least +1 in turnovers. GO CATS!
I think SDSU was a common opponent too

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:48 pm

whoops....my bad. Howz bout I backtrack and say our only common opponent when our BSC 1st team QB was playing QB.

stpaulbison
New Recruit

Post by stpaulbison » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Does Cal Poly count as a common opponent?

Bison win at home: 49 - 3
Bobcats win at home: 49 - 42

Looking forward to a good game. I have some friends coming from Bozeman to tailgate and sit with us.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 pm

lakesbison wrote:
but NDSU'S depth and crowd noise are 2 things youve never seen. NDSU'S D Line just throws 7-8 guys deep at you. its overwhelming over 4 quarters

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm

stpaulbison wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Looking forward to a good game. I have some friends coming from Bozeman to tailgate and sit with us.
That was the game I was trying to remember! I think we gave up 21 points to CP after we put our subs in and it was never in question but that shows you the gap. Held Protheroe to 57 yards which is damn impressive.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am
Ouch!!!
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16815

Montana State at #1 North Dakota State

Montana State defended their homefield in the First Round, beating Incarnate Word, 35-14. Quarterback Troy Andersen had a big game, going 12-of-19 through the air for 164 yards and another 84 on the ground, accounting for a touchdown each way, with no interceptions. Running back Isaiah Ifanse was the workhorse, carrying 30 times for 157 yards. The backbreaker was likely a blocked punt that resulted in a touchdown. Overall, the Bobcats defense forced four turnovers and limited UIW to only 18:38 in ball control.

It’s hard not to put shine on or rave about North Dakota State. The only undefeated team in the playoffs, they outscored their opponents by an average of 41-12. The offense is brutally efficient. They average 32:00 of time of possession, converting almost 50% on 3rd down, allowing 31% on 3rd down and an FCS best offensively and defensively on 4th down, if a team thinks that’s an option. Easton Stick is a near all-time winner and a threat both running and throwing the ball. Lance Dunn and Bruce Anderson are a dynamic running back combo. Safety Robbie Grimsley is the defense’s leading tackler and has five interceptions to add to that. Greg Menard has parlayed an injury-plagued 2017 into a great 2018 with 7.5 sacks.

Montana State will need another effort like they did against UIW to have any chance at an upset. Pulling an upset over North Dakota State is a tall order at home, doing it in Fargo will take even more. The Bison will be well rested and the home folks will be plenty rowdy. In actuality, the atmosphere won’t be that dissimilar than what the Bobcats faced at Montana a week ago, except this one will be indoors - with a much stronger opponent on the other sideline.

Prediction: North Dakota State 45, Montana State 14
I’m guessing NDSU will be favored by 12 or so. I think they will cover that pretty easily. This NDSU team is so damn good, in all phases. I think prediction above is pretty high but if the cats keep it within 17, I’d say that’s about right. Guessing more like 34-14
The spread is 28.5

I was thinking around 35-10, so pretty close to yours.
Is that from 5dimes? Whoa! Must admit that seems way high to me. Like I said I think NDSU wins easily, but more like 17 imo and not 28.
I’m not a big gambler, so I don’t really know all the best sites to partake... if any of you do lay down bets throughout the season, where do you go? What’s the most reputable site?

I’m taking the Cat’s to cover this spread. I’ll put down $100 in a heartbeat on this.

I’m not predicting a win, but I think they’ll give NDSU a game. All they have to do is lose by less than 4 TD’s. I personally think it’ll be somewhere in the range of a 14-21 pt loss. Not overly close, but not an absolute blowout either.

If they don’t cover, oh well, I’m out $100. If they cover? That’s a pretty solid payout.
I remember earlier this year I saw a Vegas spread for an NDSU game, maybe Cal Poly? That was Bison by forty some points. I thought to myself there is no way in hell they beat CP by 45 or whatever it was... I should bet $1000 on that. They beat them by 46. Like I said in a different thread, I am pumped for this game and I hope we show well but I'd rather be playing Washington State.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:28 pm

stpaulbison wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I'll 'fact check' my next post. I didn't realize that CP played NDSU the 1st game of the season. NDSU held CP to just 82 yards rushing on 52 attempts for an average of 1.6 yards per rush. CP passed for 153 yards that game, while NDSU rushed for 458. We rushed for 430 but allowed 369 yards rushing against CP.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:51 pm

we've had this crowd noise/penis length fight with griz fans... don't make us have it with you guys... LOL
the roof & walls bouncing the 100+ decibals back & forth is what's different about it.

NO ONE has brought up the NDSU O.C Courtney Messingham angle yet? I have to be the 1st to do it?

He's been much better at NDSU since he started with a few fans not liking him. http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthr ... -Coldstone!!
Last edited by lakesbison on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 pm
lakesbison wrote:

Cmon Lakes, You've been to Missoula, right? We handle crowd noise just fine. The 27,000 in Wa Griz are louder than the 19,000 in the Fargo Dome, even with no roof on top.
exactly.

I'm sure the Fargo Dome is nuts...…………………… but it aint Washington-Griz. I can guarantee that. ESPECIALLY during a cat-griz game.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 pm

lakesbison wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:51 pm
we've had this crowd noise/penis length fight with griz fans... don't make us have it with you guys... LOL
the roof & walls bouncing the 100+ decibals back & forth is what's different about it.

NO ONE has brought up the NDSU O.C Courtney Messingham angle yet? I have to be the 1st to do it?
I posted elsewhere about that. Gregorak - Messingham chess match will be interesting since they worked together.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:57 pm

ok exppi didn't see that.

he got roasted pretty good by ndsu fans on this thread, he's been pretty vanilla with play calling > http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthr ... -Coldstone!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 pm