Will this loosen up the donors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Woodenshoe
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Will this loosen up the donors

Post by Woodenshoe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:18 pm
Woodenshoe wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm
I want to share my experience with trying to donate to the Master Plan. I have tried at least three different occasions over the course of a few months by filling out that form to have someone contact me so I can put together a donation. Never heard back from anyone. Then I finally made a phone call to one of the numbers listed on the form and was able to speak with a person whom I won't name, but we had a pleasant conversation about how things were progressing on the fundraising part of Phase 1. I learned that we have only raised about $7.5 million thus far. Then this person asked how much was I willing to donate which made me feel a bit uncomfortable since I really didn't have an immediate answer, and I think this person could tell and so they asked if I would rather have them email me the form and then I could send it back with my donation to which I said yes I would prefer that. Well Guess what, I have yet to receive it and this was about two weeks ago now. So here you have someone who would like to donate a certain amount of money and I can't even get anyone from MSU to help me help them. Not sure what to make of it.
Yikes.....that's inexcusable. I'd schedule a meeting with Leon to let him know your experiences as well as to discuss future giving. We as fans greatly appreciate all donors (big and small) who are making financial gifts to enhance the MSU athletic experience. Thanks to you and everyone else on here who donates time/money/energy to Bobcat Athletics!
I think at this point I'm just going to do a general donation to Bobcat Athletics. It's quick and easy. But yeah I'm just sort of beside myself trying to understand why it is so difficult to give money to a cause that MSU feels is important enough to do an entire campaign on. Just seams like it should be easier to give money to help out. Maybe there is a button I'm supposed to push somewhere that I haven't found yet....LOL.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 pm

Can't speak for anyone else, as I'm in no way someone who can afford to make any sizeable donation on a scale that will move this project forward. I would like to echo the sentiments of "thank you" to everyone who has donated (or will), I wish I was in a place that I could do more but I am grateful for the generosity of others who are helping to build Bobcat Athletics into something great.

Personally, I trust that the public information dispersal is being handled in accord with common knowledge of best practices on how to handle these kind of things. I'm not going to roast anyone in the athletic department for not putting out information before they feel ready to do so, and I think we should respect that information because that is just how things are done, like it or not. I'm as curious as the next guy as to where the fundraising sits, but unless I'm contributing a sizeable portion of that, I'm not really on a need-to-know basis.

That said, it is really frustrating and disconcerting that we keep hearing about the myriad of ways that communication keeps getting dropped on MSU's side of things in regards to this project. People who have the means to donate serious money, I'm assuming, probably aren't exactly used to having to do the legwork themselves and certainly aren't going to be the ones making follow-up phone calls to beg someone to take their money. I agree that more could be done to make it a lot easier for the average(ish) Joe's to donate smaller sums, this should be a quick link or a phone number you can text to donate and/or set up regular payments. I think most of us in that realm would understand that we're not going to be contacted personally to follow up, but still have a sense of helping move the project forward and feel connected. Think about the fundraising after events like Hurricane Katrina etc. - the Red Cross had a number you could text that would donate $10 for every text message, and they raised millions that way. Sure, they had a much bigger pool of people to solicit money from, but the same idea could be utilized and I imagine could be set up pretty easily. Think inside the box for how to attract the whales, but think outside the box for how to get money from the minnows like me!

GO CATS GO!!!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 pm

I want to echo the first and second paragraph of BozoneCats post. It's important to remember two things. 1)Leon Costello was brought in (ostensibly) because he successfully raised funds to build great facilities in his last position. He knows what he is doing (or at least he should be given the benefit of the doubt in that respect as he has accomplished it in the past). 2)He is relatively new here and there may be things that aren't working the way that they should be, but he may be in the process of changing those things as we speak.

If we can be patient, I think we will be happy with the results.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:02 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 pm
I want to echo the first and second paragraph of BozoneCats post. It's important to remember two things. 1)Leon Costello was brought in (ostensibly) because he successfully raised funds to build great facilities in his last position. He knows what he is doing (or at least he should be given the benefit of the doubt in that respect as he has accomplished it in the past). 2)He is relatively new here and there may be things that aren't working the way that they should be, but he may be in the process of changing those things as we speak.

I’ve been asking the Alumni foundation and athletic department for nearly a year to streamline the donation process by putting a box on the donation page, specifically for the facilities plan, just like spirit squad, golf team, and every other fundraising program has. I even e-mailed Costello over a week ago suggesting the same thing. Costello emailed me back and said he would look into it. As of today, there is nothing there.
When I first started donating to the plan last year, I ran into the same lack of communication that Woodenshoe mentioned. I waited two weeks to get a response back to my questions and finally just gave up and sent a check to Cruzado and a letter mentioning the roadblocks. I got a response after that from not only Cruzado, but someone from the Alumni foundation that was willing to talk with me. Really ridiculous, but that seems to be par for the course with the athletic department and alumni foundation right now. I now have a fund site number for the facilities plan that I use on the donations page when making my monthly donations. That doesn’t solve the problem for everyone else though or make it easier to donate.

Costello is coming around on three years on the job and well over a year after unveiling his plan. I think that’s enough time to figure out how to make donating to his signature plan easier for everyone.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:02 pm
DriscollCat wrote:

I’ve been asking the Alumni foundation and athletic department for nearly a year to streamline the donation process by putting a box on the donation page, specifically for the facilities plan, just like spirit squad, golf team, and every other fundraising program has. I even e-mailed Costello over a week ago suggesting the same thing. Costello emailed me back and said he would look into it. As of today, there is nothing there.
When I first started donating to the plan last year, I ran into the same lack of communication that Woodenshoe mentioned. I waited two weeks to get a response back to my questions and finally just gave up and sent a check to Cruzado and a letter mentioning the roadblocks. I got a response after that from not only Cruzado, but someone from the Alumni foundation that was willing to talk with me. Really ridiculous, but that seems to be par for the course with the athletic department and alumni foundation right now. I now have a fund site number for the facilities plan that I use on the donations page when making my monthly donations. That doesn’t solve the problem for everyone else though or make it easier to donate.

Costello is coming around on three years on the job and well over a year after unveiling his plan. I think that’s enough time to figure out how to make donating to his signature plan easier for everyone.
I don’t mean to trivialize anybody’s struggles, especially those who are trying to make contributions. How do you reconcile the fact that you don’t (seem to) think Costello is doing a good job with his prior accomplishments?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm
AFCAT wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I don’t mean to trivialize anybody’s struggles, especially those who are trying to make contributions. How do you reconcile the fact that you don’t (seem to) think Costello is doing a good job with his prior accomplishments?
I didn't write that he wasn't doing an overall good job. I don't know what he is doing outside of the small donations fundraising. I wrote about my experience with the facilities plan fundraising effort, which wasn't good. Take my experience for what it's worth, one persons experience. I still donate and will continue to donate to the plan, but they really need to make the process easier than it currently is.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm

Looks like SDSU had 2 big fish that gave a majority of the money. The stadium needed to bond 2/3 of 65 million.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

From some of coach Choate's subtle remarks lately, I get the feeling that coach Choate is getting impatient with the pace of this fund raising. If we want this thing moving along faster I think what needs to happen is pressure on Cruzado. I believe she is the key. Email her, write her and let her know that you are disappointed in this possess. She seams to find money for everything else she needs, building wise. I have heard Leon Is really doing all he can at this point but could use some help at the top. Coach is doing what he needs to do with the team and if we want it to continue on an upward trajectory we must have these new facilities. Per Choate, recruiting is getting harder and harder as we fall behind in facilities. If we are going to continue to improve our program we must invest in facilities. Cruzado seams like she is behind all of the Bobcat teams and she needs to really prove it by getting this done. I don't just mean phase one, we need all phases moving. If she wants Montana State to grow and prosper she needs to get the football team to the top. The football program is the face of your University.

The key is Cruzado! let her know it!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm
AFCAT wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

I didn't write that he wasn't doing an overall good job. I don't know what he is doing outside of the small donations fundraising. I wrote about my experience with the facilities plan fundraising effort, which wasn't good. Take my experience for what it's worth, one persons experience. I still donate and will continue to donate to the plan, but they really need to make the process easier than it currently is.
Fair enough.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Food (or beer) for thought....Oregon State generated $700k in beer sales at Reser this past season.....I really think the Montana schools are missing out on a revenue stream....Portland State serves alcohol...why not us? It would keep folks in the stadium at halftime too...and in my opinion, might discourage the binge drinking in the tailgate at halftime, especially by the students.

I'd estimate MSU could generate $100-$200k in revenue from beer sales annually.

Anyone know what the MVFC policy is? Do they serve alcohol in the Fargodome?

Go Cats!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:52 pm

New link for small donations to the athletics facilities plan.

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1584/fo ... .23&sort=1

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:52 pm
New link for small donations to the athletics facilities plan.

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1584/fo ... .23&sort=1
Thanks AFCAT, just made a small donation through that site, it was very easy.

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I just donated and will continue to do so as the budget allows. Thanks for the reminder.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Does anyone know how much money we need to raise before we can break ground on the new end zone complex? Do we need the full amount of $16 million? Could we break ground at, say, 12 million and finance the rest, for example?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Does anyone know how much money we need to raise before we can break ground on the new end zone complex? Do we need the full amount of $16 million? Could we break ground at, say, 12 million and finance the rest, for example?
I can’t answer that question, but I doubt we will hear or read anything about a ground breaking until after the legislature meets. MSU is still trying to get State funding for the renovation (remodeling to classrooms) of the old Romney gym. I don’t think they would want to make an announcement of a big athletic facility project when they are asking for state cash for those classrooms. That’s just a gut feeling, I don’t have any intel.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm
Food (or beer) for thought....Oregon State generated $700k in beer sales at Reser this past season.....I really think the Montana schools are missing out on a revenue stream....Portland State serves alcohol...why not us? It would keep folks in the stadium at halftime too...and in my opinion, might discourage the binge drinking in the tailgate at halftime, especially by the students.

Go Cats!
This has been discussed a bunch and it seems to be close to 50-50 in terms of what posters on this board think. I’m pretty neutral on the idea, there’s things I’d like and things I wouldn’t.

I have no insight and have no idea what MSU thinks in regards to beer sales. I do know that we have a pretty unique tailgate atmosphere that includes halftime. Longtime fans and boosters love the tradition of going out to our intimate parking lot, having a couple beers, talking the first half with buddies and heading back in in the 3rd. More importantly, I’m aware of some pretty big donors who are VERY against the idea of a no re-entry policy.

This isn’t to say it will never happen. But if there is a roadblock going forward I think it’s these guys who give a lot that don’t love the idea of giving up there halftime traditions. But if they do a study and deem they can make far more money with beer than they can with these donations I think they’ll do it.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:16 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Go Cats!
This has been discussed a bunch and it seems to be close to 50-50 in terms of what posters on this board think. I’m pretty neutral on the idea, there’s things I’d like and things I wouldn’t.

I have no insight and have no idea what MSU thinks in regards to beer sales. I do know that we have a pretty unique tailgate atmosphere that includes halftime. Longtime fans and boosters love the tradition of going out to our intimate parking lot, having a couple beers, talking the first half with buddies and heading back in in the 3rd. More importantly, I’m aware of some pretty big donors who are VERY against the idea of a no re-entry policy.

This isn’t to say it will never happen. But if there is a roadblock going forward I think it’s these guys who give a lot that don’t love the idea of giving up there halftime traditions. But if they do a study and deem they can make far more money with beer than they can with these donations I think they’ll do it.
This as well as the college is well aware they don't have the facilities or staff to handle vending nor do they have the facilities for getting rid of the product!(pissers)

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:14 pm
Looks like SDSU had 2 big fish that gave a majority of the money. The stadium needed to bond 2/3 of 65 million.
Minor point, I thought I saw three (Dykhouse - banker; Larson - storm doors & windows; Sanford Medical - hospital and medical) all displayed prominently... but the point is you need to get those key foundational donors. If you were on the trip to Brookings, you also heard Dana Dykhouse, besides being a key contributor, talk about his role in pulling other large donors in to "get er done" as he said. The city also pitched in some funding which helped facilitate high school games, bands, etc. using the stadium from time to time. Dykhouse was a real inspiration.

The other interesting point Dana and the AD brought up was the argument of athletics vs. academics. He pointed out that since the expansion, SDSU has also been able to bring in another $700MM for new academic facilities so it isn't an "us vs. them" thing... success can breed success. He pointed out how the school has boxes in the stadium facilities and large gathering spaces that academic departments can use to entertain alumni and clients at games.... he gave the specific example of one of the engineering departments hosting contractors and key alum at the previous weeks game... and when they walked out, one contractor gave a $2MM commitment towards that engineering program for needs they discussed while on the campus visit. As he said, alumni usually don't return to campus just to see their favorite prof, they usually get back in town for an athletic event, homecoming, etc. and then take the opportunity to catch up with friends, profs, departments, etc.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 pm
When the campaign has enough in its coffers that the small donations will put it over the top, then and only then would it be smart for MSU to go all in on the small donor phase of the campaign. The absolute worst thing they could do is take a bunch of small donor money and then not end up with enough funds for the project and have to return it all. We've been having this same discussion on this board since the inception of the board. What MSU is doing is consistent with every successful fundraising campaign in history. They know what they are doing. It's just frustrating from the outside not knowing what is happening on the inside.
Yep. I agree and I stated so very early in earlier threads when the plan was rolled out. I have been affiliated and visited with people who have led large campaigns like this and to a person, you NEED A FOUNDATION DONOR OR TWO OR THREE to springboard the process. You ain't gonna get there with $50 contributions. For "kicks and giggles" lets just assume we are half way there since we have the $2MM anonymous contribution recently. That means we need to raise another $8MM.

So it would only take another 8000 folks to donate a $1000 or 80,000 folks (approx. 8% of the population of Montana) to donate $100.... it aint gonna happen.

Just for reference we only have just over 1300 Bobcat Club members and they average $890 per contribution (we rank 4th in the Big Sky in terms of number of donors and amount per donor) so to think we can get another 6700 folks to kick in a $1000 is a bit of a stretch.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:05 pm

So what can we do ....in my opinion:
1. Keep contributing like many on here are. Every little bit helps. Tell your buds to contribute. Help sell the story, this isn't just about football it is going to help all the programs... example when the football offices move out, the spaces can all be remodeled for academic study center for the BB, VB, track, etc. kids and for use as meeting rooms for other sports. Hell I love what Binford is doing with WBB and I want her to have some new facilities and study areas for her kids when they remodel the house. As the largest university in the state and growing, we need to show that to the outside world.
2. If you have the ability to be a "foundation level" donor (probably a $5 to 6MM donation), get up there to talk to Cruzado and Costello. If you happen to know that person personally do your part to convince them...drag them up there, set up a surprise dinner with Cruzado/Costello, walk the campus with them, introduce them to your favorite department heads. Remember at that level, they are going to be named in the bright lights as you drive along Kagy and when the camera crews arrive for the future playoff games their name or company is going to be on the big screen.
3. If you know of someone, a person or corporation, who should be contacted to be a foundation level donor, send a note to someone in the foundation or to Costello or Cruzado. I have sent up three or four people names myself and a corporation or two also, including one out of state firm with facilities here and a wealthy owner with a home in the area (even if not an alumnus). I have talked to them about some of the people they have talked to and the list is extensive... they are going back to some.
4. Buy lottery tickets and hope for the best.