Will this loosen up the donors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Will this loosen up the donors

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm
Well, you're fu-king wrong. Seat prices in 104 just went up 100 bucks per seat. $592 per seat. Six games @ $98.66 per game. Lol...... for the Bobcats? I'll be talking with my fellas who sit with me. I think I'm done with Bobcats Club and 100 football tickets. Oh, and you can't write off Bobcat Club anymore.
Can confirm. That's new for 2018 and through 2025 unless the law is changed.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
kmax wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:42 am
A few notes to try and clear some of this up from someone that is a part of the Bobcat Club board. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up or just call the Bobcat Club offices as they would be happy to answer them.

— The change in giving for seats will not end up costing more than it did last year (excepting any general small increases in giving levels as usually happens every few years). As someone noted it is just divided out per seat as opposed to one lump sum to make the new ticketing system work. Example with my seats in 102. It was a $500 donation for tickets there, but that was the right to buy four. I have six so previously I had to donate at least $750 to get all of them. Now with per seat I will still have to donate at least $750 ($125 per seat) for them. If I had only had two tickets in 102 I would actually save money as I would now only be required to donate at least $250 for two seats instead of $500 previously.

— The priority points system will be used in place of the current system of just your current years giving levels purely for things like new season ticket purchase priority, additional Cat/Griz priority, away ticket priority for popular games, etc. Think of all the times that they have announced a sale of something and said this level and above can call Monday, then these levels and above can call Tuesday, etc. Those will now be based on the priority points instead of current giving level.

— Priorty points are a way to recognize the overall giving of individuals and businesses rather than just what was given in the current year. Points will be given for the current level of giving, number of season tickets across different sports, giving to sports specific clubs, giving since 2010(including other giving like to capital campaigns, and years of consecutive giving. It’s a much better way to reward those who not only give to the program but those that have been doing so for a long time and is a very common system at universities around the country.

Hope this helps and I hope I haven’t confused anyone. Like I said feel free to hit me up or call the Bobcat Club office with any questions. Hopefully I haven’t misled here, I wrote this up from memory but if I hear of anything I will correct it as quick as I can.
Well, you're fu-king wrong. Seat prices in 104 just went up 100 bucks per seat. $592 per seat. Six games @ $98.66 per game. Lol...... for the Bobcats? I'll be talking with my fellas who sit with me. I think I'm done with Bobcats Club and 100 football tickets. Oh, and you can't write off Bobcat Club anymore.
man, that was pretty harsh. I see the Christmas spirit is no longer with you... :lol:

But yes, i'm looking at the list of ticket prices and they are in fact a little higher than what was posted above. In section 102 it looks as though the Bobcat Club contribution is $150 a seat and ticket price is $225 a seat for a total of $375. I too am in 104 and you are correct; $350 BC contribution and $242 ticket price for a total of $592 a seat. Yes....for the Bobcats. \:D/

It's funny, we all want things within our program to be bigger and better. We're all smart enough to understand that bigger and better means more money. But when MSU does little things like this to make more money people are up in arms.

As always, the solution is very simple. If the prices become too much for you to afford, or if you can't justify the money MSU is asking for "for the Bobcats"....simply don't buy them. Or as you suggested...jst sit in a cheaper section. 108 and 114 are literally only $250 a seat for the season. There are options for everyone out there.

Go Cats!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Yep, it's called TV. lol.....

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:27 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm
Totally. For some that's the best option. And I know there are people looking to get into 104 so better to have someone in those seats.

Unrelated note but I'd like to see what we have to do to get students into the stands first. I'm not worried about the other sections as much but our students have been awful. Not sure what can be done unfortunately but every time a discussion like this arises I always think of our weak student attendance.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:30 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
To clarify here, you cannot write off a Bobcat Club donation that is required for something like a seat purchase or other benefits. If you give more above what is required for your benefits you can write off the amount you have given over and above the benefit required level.

Disclaimer: This is from personal experience, not tax advice. Do your due diligence to determine what you can or can't do with your charitable donations.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
kmax wrote:
A few notes to try and clear some of this up from someone that is a part of the Bobcat Club board. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up or just call the Bobcat Club offices as they would be happy to answer them.

— The change in giving for seats will not end up costing more than it did last year (excepting any general small increases in giving levels as usually happens every few years). As someone noted it is just divided out per seat as opposed to one lump sum to make the new ticketing system work. Example with my seats in 102. It was a $500 donation for tickets there, but that was the right to buy four. I have six so previously I had to donate at least $750 to get all of them. Now with per seat I will still have to donate at least $750 ($125 per seat) for them. If I had only had two tickets in 102 I would actually save money as I would now only be required to donate at least $250 for two seats instead of $500 previously.

— The priority points system will be used in place of the current system of just your current years giving levels purely for things like new season ticket purchase priority, additional Cat/Griz priority, away ticket priority for popular games, etc. Think of all the times that they have announced a sale of something and said this level and above can call Monday, then these levels and above can call Tuesday, etc. Those will now be based on the priority points instead of current giving level.

— Priorty points are a way to recognize the overall giving of individuals and businesses rather than just what was given in the current year. Points will be given for the current level of giving, number of season tickets across different sports, giving to sports specific clubs, giving since 2010(including other giving like to capital campaigns, and years of consecutive giving. It’s a much better way to reward those who not only give to the program but those that have been doing so for a long time and is a very common system at universities around the country.

Hope this helps and I hope I haven’t confused anyone. Like I said feel free to hit me up or call the Bobcat Club office with any questions. Hopefully I haven’t misled here, I wrote this up from memory but if I hear of anything I will correct it as quick as I can.
man, that was pretty harsh. I see the Christmas spirit is no longer with you... :lol:

But yes, i'm looking at the list of ticket prices and they are in fact a little higher than what was posted above. In section 102 it looks as though the Bobcat Club contribution is $150 a seat and ticket price is $225 a seat for a total of $375. I too am in 104 and you are correct; $350 BC contribution and $242 ticket price for a total of $592 a seat. Yes....for the Bobcats. \:D/

It's funny, we all want things within our program to be bigger and better. We're all smart enough to understand that bigger and better means more money. But when MSU does little things like this to make more money people are up in arms.

As always, the solution is very simple. If the prices become too much for you to afford, or if you can't justify the money MSU is asking for "for the Bobcats"....simply don't buy them. Or as you suggested...jst sit in a cheaper section. 108 and 114 are literally only $250 a seat for the season. There are options for everyone out there.

Go Cats!
Yep and I noted this was possible because I hadn’t yet seen final numbers:

The change in giving for seats will not end up costing more than it did last year (excepting any general small increases in giving levels as usually happens every few years).

It has been a few years since the giving levels were increased. As someone else mentioned with a few paying less now for fewer than four seats, these small increases in the per seat level will allow the Bobcat Club to not go backwards (at least not very much) in the amount raised.

It’s understandable if some feel that it is becoming too much. As mentioned I know there are people waiting to get into sections like 104 so if you feel it is too much you are free to exercise your right and someone else can fill the seats. And if you enjoy going to the games there are less expensive options for seating.

That said, remember that any of the amount that you are paying for a seat that is for Bobcat Club is going to pay for student athlete scholarships. We still have a deficit of several hundred thousand dollars to allow donations to fully fund scholarships and stop having to take from the general athletics budget to cover the rest of the scholarship money needed. Football is the driving entity for generating a majority of that income. I encourage everyone to weigh this as you get your ticket and Bobcat club renewal information. We are already trying to catch up, and scholarships are only increasing in cost each year.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am

We say, "if we want to see something done, we shouldn't complain about MSU trying to raise money", in this case through raising ticket and BC prices. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I'd like to see the improvements that come with raising that extra money. Yes, I get that BC fees go to scholarships and the costs of those keep rising, but I'd like to see some general stadium improvements or maintenance that comes from rising ticket prices. They made security changes this year, but I'd hardly call those fan improvements. There was a remodel done in the club area, but really, 95% of us in the stadium will never be able to set foot in there. Remodel a bathroom, put in some winter warming "huts" around the concourse areas, cripes - PAY for snow removal in the east stands so people don't continue to fall and bust their asses on the metal bleachers. I'm not to PHATCAT's spot, but there reaches a point I'd like to see some return for MY money I've pumped in for 15 years. Put some of that into fan amenities for the "rest" of us, not just the things the university thinks is going to make them MORE money (club renovations, cabanas). There is NOT a mile long waiting list for season tickets, they didn't even average sellouts over the course of last season. Don't drive your existing ticket holders out.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 am

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am
We say, "if we want to see something done, we shouldn't complain about MSU trying to raise money", in this case through raising ticket and BC prices. I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I'd like to see the improvements that come with raising that extra money. Yes, I get that BC fees go to scholarships and the costs of those keep rising, but I'd like to see some general stadium improvements or maintenance that comes from rising ticket prices. They made security changes this year, but I'd hardly call those fan improvements. There was a remodel done in the club area, but really, 95% of us in the stadium will never be able to set foot in there. Remodel a bathroom, put in some winter warming "huts" around the concourse areas, cripes - PAY for snow removal in the east stands so people don't continue to fall and bust their asses on the metal bleachers. I'm not to PHATCAT's spot, but there reaches a point I'd like to see some return for MY money I've pumped in for 15 years. Put some of that into fan amenities for the "rest" of us, not just the things the university thinks is going to make them MORE money (club renovations, cabanas). There is NOT a mile long waiting list for season tickets, they didn't even average sellouts over the course of last season. Don't drive your existing ticket holders out.
Those east side bleachers are a real safety hazard. There are no railings and they become very slippery in the snow. I am surprised that MSU hasn't experienced a large lawsuit with some of the falls that have taken place. MSU should move to replace them apart from the overall facilities improvement plan.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 am
KittieKop wrote:
Those east side bleachers are a real safety hazard. There are no railings and they become very slippery in the snow. I am surprised that MSU hasn't experienced a large lawsuit with some of the falls that have taken place. MSU should move to replace them apart from the overall facilities improvement plan.
Not to mention the structural integrity has to be taken into question with the giant rust holes. Probably could have avoided all that if they had just painted a couple years ago...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 pm

kmax wrote:

Question for you Kmax. I have 3 seats in section 112, we donate $500 to Bobcat Club, and pay $200 for an eastside tailgate spot. With the new rules of $150/seat in 112, our Bobcat Club donation will do down to $450 if I'm not mistaken. However the Bobcat Club website states that only those who are contributing $500 or more are eligible for tailgate spots. So - 1) will I need to stay at $500 to keep my tailgate spot, and 2) if so, how will I do that now that they are charging Bobcat Club fees of $150 per seat, rather than a fixed amount of $500?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:02 pm
Ohhhh, now you're in Pluto land! Get ready for a butt load of "buffering"! 8)

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 pm
Cledus wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
To clarify here, you cannot write off a Bobcat Club donation that is required for something like a seat purchase or other benefits. If you give more above what is required for your benefits you can write off the amount you have given over and above the benefit required level.

Disclaimer: This is from personal experience, not tax advice. Do your due diligence to determine what you can or can't do with your charitable donations.
Unless you're a corporation you don't get to itemize deductions anymore.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:33 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 pm
kmax wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I do not believe that is correct. Standard deductions have gone up. If your personal deductions exceed that amount, it is my understanding that you can itemize.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:36 pm

60's Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:33 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 pm
kmax wrote:
Cledus wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I do not believe that is correct. Standard deductions have gone up. If your personal deductions exceed that amount, it is my understanding that you can itemize.
You can still itemize, just fewer things eligible, and a lot more people won't need to with increases to the standard deduction.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 pm
kmax wrote:

Question for you Kmax. I have 3 seats in section 112, we donate $500 to Bobcat Club, and pay $200 for an eastside tailgate spot. With the new rules of $150/seat in 112, our Bobcat Club donation will do down to $450 if I'm not mistaken. However the Bobcat Club website states that only those who are contributing $500 or more are eligible for tailgate spots. So - 1) will I need to stay at $500 to keep my tailgate spot, and 2) if so, how will I do that now that they are charging Bobcat Club fees of $150 per seat, rather than a fixed amount of $500?
Those are great questions and unfortunately I don’t know for sure right off hand. I believe the requirement for tailgates will still be there and at any time you can give to the Bobcat Club through the links on the website, so if nothing else you could donate the additional needed there. However I would suggest dropping an email to Bobcat Club or calling them. When I talk with them next I will try to ask about that as well.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm

KittieKop wrote:
So in your opinion, we shouldn’t be paying more to cover the athletes expenses (Bobcat Club) or spend any more on the program through ticket sales (like salaries or weights or nutrition), but we should only spend money on fan amenities per your specific criteria. I will bet your spending plan will have our program much stronger so that we can battle the NDSU’s of the FCS. Then you can continue to complain about the product on the field...

I don’t see a lot of season ticket holders filing protests except for you and Phat Cat. Maybe you should go ahead and let your season tickets go. Then you will have less to complain about and hopefully be a much happier person.

As for Phat Cat, can you post anything else to make people like you less??? Your whole post above was “how dare MSU raise ticket prices?”. Your tongue in cheek comments show how little you care for the program. For example: “$98.66 for the Bobcats?” If you don’t think MSU is worthy of this amount, let go of your tickets and quit bitching. The surrounding people in Section 104 will most likely be glad to NOT see your arrogant ass at the games.

And your past posts about how much money you spend on the program and the how they should be kissing your ass. Well apparently you are not the “phat” high roller as you claimed in the past.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:00 am

Cuntaholic, what have you done for MSU in the last twenty years? Damn, l'll go back to 1973. Did your family donate all the ground work and grading for Reno H. Sales? Have you been on the booster board? Top fund raiser? Have you done anything, but talk? I'll bitch about anything I want. You're a prick on this site. Don't worry about my loot. I spend it wisely. Not a high roller. Just never a loser like you. Never, never ever. Your game is weak.
Last edited by PHAT CAT on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm
KittieKop wrote:
So in your opinion, we shouldn’t be paying more to cover the athletes expenses (Bobcat Club) or spend any more on the program through ticket sales (like salaries or weights or nutrition), but we should only spend money on fan amenities per your specific criteria. I will bet your spending plan will have our program much stronger so that we can battle the NDSU’s of the FCS. Then you can continue to complain about the product on the field...

I don’t see a lot of season ticket holders filing protests except for you and Phat Cat. Maybe you should go ahead and let your season tickets go. Then you will have less to complain about and hopefully be a much happier person.

As for Phat Cat, can you post anything else to make people like you less??? Your whole post above was “how dare MSU raise ticket prices?”. Your tongue in cheek comments show how little you care for the program. For example: “$98.66 for the Bobcats?” If you don’t think MSU is worthy of this amount, let go of your tickets and quit bitching. The surrounding people in Section 104 will most likely be glad to NOT see your arrogant ass at the games.

And your past posts about how much money you spend on the program and the how they should be kissing your ass. Well apparently you are not the “phat” high roller as you claimed in the past.
As is usual for you, you take what i write, interpret it the way you want to put your negative spin on it. I'm not even going to tty answering you. So, you don't like me, ignore what i say. You literally don't listen to a single thing. For your sake, i hope you got a reading comprehension course for Christmas.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

KittieKop wrote:
I get what you're saying for sure. We'd all like to see these improvements sooner rather than later. And I understand the frustration when it looks like the boxes and club are getting more attention than the rest of the stadium. Though without knowing exactly where all the money is going that's tough to tackle. But it's just smart for them to make those in the boxes and club level a priority. Right now this is where much of the money is coming from. Just the boxes alone are generating $16,000+ each and that's before any money raised by selling food and liquor. Not to mention that typically those in the club levels are also usually the biggest donors. I can totally understand why they focus much of their attention on these people.

But I completely agree I'd like to have more knowledge on what money is being spent elsewhere in the stadium. My experience is even a little communication in regards to higher prices and where peoples' money is going goes a long way. We certainly don't want fans feeling like MSU doesn't care and we definitely don't want to start losing fans over these minor issues!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 am

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm
KittieKop wrote:

As is usual for you, you take what i write, interpret it the way you want to put your negative spin on it. I'm not even going to tty answering you. So, you don't like me, ignore what i say. You literally don't listen to a single thing. For your sake, i hope you got a reading comprehension course for Christmas.
I interpret what you are writing as negative because IT IS NEGATIVE! Go back and look at your posts. Almost every post is a complaint about the recruiting, the coaching, the play calls, the schedule, the facilities, the cost, player development, etc.

From just this post above, here is your quote: “there reaches a point I'd like to see some return for MY money I've pumped in for 15 years. Put some of that into fan amenities for the "rest" of us, not just the things the university thinks is going to make them MORE money (club renovations, cabanas).”.

So you don’t think that the Cats have taken your money and invested in the scoreboard, field, nutrition, player development, security, salaries, equipment, recruiting, etc?

Maybe I am being overly harsh on you, but the negativity on this board can be overwhelming. If you need more examples of your negativity, I can easily pull them up for you. I think we have it pretty f-ing good! Great leadership, winning season, playoff win, 3 straight over Griz, a potential Cat of Famer playing right now, fantastic recruiting class, solid community support, growing school, growing campus, plans for expansion, incredible game day experience, etc.