Will this loosen up the donors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Will this loosen up the donors

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 pm

First of all-I do what I can, but all my money is tied up in food and heat...so far be it for me to say-"come on guys-get out your checkbooks!"

A three game winning streak against the griz!! After washy griz stadium was built I never thought I'd ever see that again. And frankly, right now, despite our mini-streak, they have a huge advantage in the facilities arms race. I believe that history has shown that the school with the better facilities usually wins in this rivalry.

These are interesting times. MSU has become far bigger than um. And MSU, for years, has attracted the best and brightest in Montana. When those grads go out and make their fortune will they remember their alma mater?

We got a $25 million business school donated. We're about to open a $50 million engineering building that was donated. We are set to start construction on a $20 million native american center. Bozeman is booming. There's slated to be $1 Billion in construction up at Big Sky! But all of that is out-of-state dollars that don't give a rip about MSU athletics.

As I see it, if we don't make a splash on the facilities scene very soon, we're gonna lose this momentum really quick. Will this win help MSU get it done???

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Will this loosen up the donors

Post by gtapp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:24 am

I hope so but I am not optomostic. It is hard to raise money at MSU and the money needed is not just for football. It seems like such a large amount to overcome. MSU is a great academic school and therefore receives a lot of academic $$. That is wonderful but raising money for MSU Athletics is not as easy!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 am

I donate money every month to the facilities plan and I intend on making a larger donation at the end of the year. You don't have to give millions to make a difference.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 am
I donate money every month to the facilities plan and I intend on making a larger donation at the end of the year. You don't have to give millions to make a difference.
I think this is very intelligent. If everybody does a little it adds up to a lot. Cat stadium can hold 22,000. If each of those people, over the course of a year, donated $100 that's 2.2 million. A year. That equates to $8.30 a month. While going after whales, this is the kind of fund raising drive Leon needs to engage in.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:39 am

It certainly will help. Winning seasons help. Beating the griz always helps. And going to the playoffs will help too. (Not to mention MSU makes additional cash from hosting a playoff game).

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:31 am

Hope this pushes the schedule up on Phase 1....I'd like to see construction cranes over the north end zone next summer. Anyone know the timeline for ground breaking?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:31 am
Hope this pushes the schedule up on Phase 1....I'd like to see construction cranes over the north end zone next summer. Anyone know the timeline for ground breaking?
Yes, we need to get construction started. Not having this will eventually be a detriment to our recruiting. I would like to start seeing a pr campaign to get small donors on board. It frustrates me that we continue not to hear anything about where we are with this project. It's time to start generating some excitement!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:58 am

Speaking of supporting MSU Athletics, in October we publicly announced a $2 million anonymous gift towards Phase One of our Athletics Facilities Master Plan. I want to thank everyone who has supported the vision of helping to develop MSU student-athletes athletically and academically by donating to the project. A very special thank you goes out to the anonymous donors for pushing us closer to our goal of $16 million to complete Phase One. This remains a top priority for Bobcat Athletics and the work to secure more funds continues. To donate today or find out more information about Phase One, click here https://msubobcats.com/sb_output.aspx?form=119.
https://msubobcats.com/news/2018/11/15/ ... ition.aspx

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:03 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Yes, we need to get construction started. Not having this will eventually be a detriment to our recruiting. I would like to start seeing a pr campaign to get small donors on board. It frustrates me that we continue not to hear anything about where we are with this project. It's time to start generating some excitement!!
You can donate by calling or emailing the Alumni Foundation. Check my signature block for more information.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:03 am
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
You can donate by calling or emailing the Alumni Foundation. Check my signature block for more information.
AFCAT, you have been great in trying to get people on board. But, MSU Athletics should be out soliciting people on social media and thru emails on an ongoing basis. Also, they should be working with the media doing interviews about this project. Also, there should be constant updates on where we are in relation to the goal for all to see. They need to create excitement!!

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I give every year at bonus time...I wish I could write a check for a few million to get this thing moving!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm

I think it’s moving along better than most think...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am
AFCAT wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
AFCAT, you have been great in trying to get people on board. But, MSU Athletics should be out soliciting people on social media and thru emails on an ongoing basis. Also, they should be working with the media doing interviews about this project. Also, there should be constant updates on where we are in relation to the goal for all to see. They need to create excitement!!

I totally agree with you. MSU and the alumni foundation are absolutely horrible at soliciting smaller donations for this plan from fans and alumni. I actually called MSU and e-mailed them twice this week with an offer to pay for and donate ten free playoff game tickets to students. I wasn't at all surprised when I didn't hear back from them. I continue to donate to the facilities program despite the universities failure to be proactive on this fundraising effort. I want to see this plan come to fruition and I'm not willing to wait for them to get off their butts to make it happen.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm
I hope so, but I think that’s where most of the frustration is coming from, the general public just doesn’t know. People just want updates and to know just how close (or far) they are from starting phase 1.

Generally speaking, I think the average fan is going to be more apt to throw $100, $500, $1000 at the project if they know that the fundraising is already 75-80% there.
If the fundraising is only something like 20% there, it’s more of a daunting number to hit, and I would imagine people aren’t going to be lining up to give $100 when the number to hit is still $10 million away. Although it all counts the same, it just seems like that small donation didn’t do anything.

I don’t think that this is anything new, and maybe I’m reading into it too much, but the fact that we aren’t hearing much makes me think we’re further away than one would hope.

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm
I hope so, but I think that’s where most of the frustration is coming from, the general public just doesn’t know. People just want updates and to know just how close (or far) they are from starting phase 1.

Generally speaking, I think the average fan is going to be more apt to throw $100, $500, $1000 at the project if they know that the fundraising is already 75-80% there.
If the fundraising is only something like 20% there, it’s more of a daunting number to hit, and I would imagine people aren’t going to be lining up to give $100 when the number to hit is still $10 million away. Although it all counts the same, it just seems like that small donation didn’t do anything.

I don’t think that this is anything new, and maybe I’m reading into it too much, but the fact that we aren’t hearing much makes me think we’re further away than one would hope.
My understanding is that we still have a ways to go, as in we're not yet half way there but closing in on that. That was from someone involved with the fundraising.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm

We have to get away from todays instant gratification mentality. It will take time to reach our goal. My recollection is that we still haven’t paid off the new end zone structure. When that happens, we will have additional bonding ability for financing. That all takes time. In the meantime, MSU slowly chips away at the amont needed to finance.

Some of you are disappointed with the fundraising effort, but I get an email at least every two weeks about happenings at MSU. They definitely encourage contributions, but quite honestly, any more solicitation (such as phone calls) could be perceived negatively. How many of you honestly want another phone solicitation?

Also, a number of MSU related organizations are soliciting money from the same people. The Alumni foundation, the school of business, the Quarterback Club, Bobcat Club, etc. It has to be a careful balance where you don’t solicit so much for the new construction that donations to the Bobcat Club go down. This is especially relevant to the smaller donors who might have less disposable income.

I am confident in our leadership at the athletic department. Very well thought out with a long term plan.

Somebody pointed out to me the other day that U of M’s enrollment is actually closer to Tech’s enrollment than MSU’s enrollment. Not sure if that is completely accurate, but how crazy is that perception! We are headed in the right direction. Let’s stay the road and more great things are in store. Just look at the Improvements on the MSU campus and compare to Missoula. It is truly a major success story!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm
We have to get away from todays instant gratification mentality. It will take time to reach our goal. My recollection is that we still haven’t paid off the new end zone structure. When that happens, we will have additional bonding ability for financing. That all takes time. In the meantime, MSU slowly chips away at the amont needed to finance.

Some of you are disappointed with the fundraising effort, but I get an email at least every two weeks about happenings at MSU. They definitely encourage contributions, but quite honestly, any more solicitation (such as phone calls) could be perceived negatively. How many of you honestly want another phone solicitation?

Also, a number of MSU related organizations are soliciting money from the same people. The Alumni foundation, the school of business, the Quarterback Club, Bobcat Club, etc. It has to be a careful balance where you don’t solicit so much for the new construction that donations to the Bobcat Club go down. This is especially relevant to the smaller donors who might have less disposable income.

I am confident in our leadership at the athletic department. Very well thought out with a long term plan.

Somebody pointed out to me the other day that U of M’s enrollment is actually closer to Tech’s enrollment than MSU’s enrollment. Not sure if that is completely accurate, but how crazy is that perception! We are headed in the right direction. Let’s stay the road and more great things are in store. Just look at the Improvements on the MSU campus and compare to Missoula. It is truly a major success story!
Catabolic, people would just like to know where we stand so we can help. Yes, the plan is good. Yes, we get solicited by other MSU entities. But, I for one would like to see we are with this effort so as to gauge my contributions.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:30 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:

I totally agree with you. MSU and the alumni foundation are absolutely horrible at soliciting smaller donations for this plan from fans and alumni. I actually called MSU and e-mailed them twice this week with an offer to pay for and donate ten free playoff game tickets to students. I wasn't at all surprised when I didn't hear back from them. I continue to donate to the facilities program despite the universities failure to be proactive on this fundraising effort. I want to see this plan come to fruition and I'm not willing to wait for them to get off their butts to make it happen.
One other thing I want to mention. It's actually easier to donate to the Spirit Squad, the Golf Team, or any other athletic fundraising effort on campus than it currently is to donate to the facilities plan. All you have to do to donate to other athletic fundraising endeavors is to go to the MSU Donations page and specify where you want your money to go. However, if you want to donate specifically to the facilities plan, you must contact the Alumni Foundation, wait for them to return your call or e-mail, and ask them for a fund number for the facilities plan. Then, you go to the donations page, click on the other box, on the next page you have add in the remarks section the facilities plan fund number you got from the Alumni foundation. Finally, you put down the amount of money you want to donate. I started asking the Alumni foundation last January to streamline the process by adding a Facilities plan check box to the donations page, just like the Spirit Squad or Golf team, but they have yet to do that. If you go to UM donations page, they have all their fundraising projects listed for donations.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:50 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:30 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
I wonder if Waded is aware of this snafu?

One other thing I want to mention. It's actually easier to donate to the Spirit Squad, the Golf Team, or any other athletic fundraising effort on campus than it currently is to donate to the facilities plan. All you have to do to donate to other athletic fundraising endeavors is to go to the MSU Donations page and specify where you want your money to go. However, if you want to donate specifically to the facilities plan, you must contact the Alumni Foundation, wait for them to return your call or e-mail, and ask them for a fund number for the facilities plan. Then, you go to the donations page, click on the other box, on the next page you have add in the remarks section the facilities plan fund number you got from the Alumni foundation. Finally, you put down the amount of money you want to donate. I started asking the Alumni foundation last January to streamline the process by adding a Facilities plan check box to the donations page, just like the Spirit Squad or Golf team, but they have yet to do that. If you go to UM donations page, they have all their fundraising projects listed for donations.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:17 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 am
I think this is very intelligent. If everybody does a little it adds up to a lot. Cat stadium can hold 22,000. If each of those people, over the course of a year, donated $100 that's 2.2 million. A year. That equates to $8.30 a month. While going after whales, this is the kind of fund raising drive Leon needs to engage in.
First you have to look at attendance not capacity. So 17K not 22K. Then you subtract students so you are down to about 10K. Then you subtract the people there for the event and not the game and maybe you are left with 8K. Maybe. You really need the big donors to make this work.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN