The winner of Cat/Griz gets......

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: The winner of Cat/Griz gets......

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:00 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 am
According to STATS Senior Editor Craig Haley if we win, we're in.
I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about playoff scenarios since Saturday night. Not message boards but any national publications that really follow fcs football. So far, much of what I have read says just that. If the Cats win most experts and writers are saying we're in. If the Griz win they might need some help but have a chance to be in. One guy said this game is basically a playoff game with the winner advancing to the next round.

It's not a certainty. But if you don't think the Cats have a very good shot at the playoffs with a win I don't think you're paying much attention to what's being said everywhere else besides BobcatNation and Egriz...
You’re giving them too much credit. They aren’t paying attention to bobcatnation or egriz either.
:lol:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Good article about why Idaho state is in if they beat Weber, and why we're in if they don't AND we beat the griz.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-p ... teams-bzbz

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I think a Cats win gets them in. I don't think the Griz make it even with a win. 2 really bad losses.

That said, the NCAA is all about the $$$, so who knows.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 pm

grizpack wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm
I think a Cats win gets them in. I don't think the Griz make it even with a win. 2 really bad losses.

The latest figures I could find for NCAA revenue is $800 million for a year. Spoiler alert, there is no FCS team that moves the needle. All of FCS combined doesn’t move the needle.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:31 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 pm
grizpack wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm

The latest figures I could find for NCAA revenue is $800 million for a year. Spoiler alert, there is no FCS team that moves the needle. All of FCS combined doesn’t move the needle.
That's true, no one team moves the "gross revenue" needle. But if the NCAA can make $500k when the griz host a game vs $150k with Lamar, who are they gonna let host?

If the NCAA doesn't care about FCS money, then why is the FCS playoff first round based on money bids rather than seeding?
It's because they DO care. They want their money.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 am

Since in the BSC not every team plays every other team, Conference Only stats aren't too telling by themselves. So I looked at who MSU & um played and how those teams rank within the BSC. These STATS come from https://static.bigskyconf.com/custompag ... nfonly.htm which are 'Conference Only' stats. I looked at the top 3 & bottom 3 in every category. If we played the school then either the school or ranking is BLUE or if um played them it's pink. As u can see, we have played way more teams that are in the top 3 of each category than um, while um has played way more teams that are in the bottom 3 of each category.......FOR THE MOST PART.

Not that we didn't already know that our BSC schedule was substantially more difficult than um's, but when you look at the numbers it really is glaring. We played 3 of the top 4 teams....EWU, WSU, ISU statistically, where um only played UCD. Where um played SSU and SUU who are fairly consistently at the bottom of most categories while we didn't play either. So to put it in that context, just think where we'd be if we could have traded EWU & WSU for SSU & SUU..........I think it's fair to say that we'd be sitting at 8-2 not 6-4. Not that there is anything you can do about it and playing tougher competition makes us better, but it just goes to show you how different identical records can be within the BSC from year to year.

I don't know if we'll get in when we beat the jizz, but I know our chances are MOREGOODER than theirs are. GO CATS!

SCORING OFFENSE
1. EWU
2. UCD
3. ISU
4. ‘um
5. CP
6. MSU/WSU
7. MSU/WSU
8. NAU
9. PSU
10. SUU
11. UI/UNC
12. UI/UNC
13. SSU
SCORING DFENSE
1. EWU
2. WSU
3. PSU
4. MSU
5. UCD
6. ‘um
7. UI
8. ISU
9. NAU
10. NCU
11. SUU
12. SSU
13. CP
TOTAL OFFENSE
1. EWU
2. ISU
3. UCD
4. ‘um
5. CP
6. SSU
7. SUU
8. NAU
9. PSU
10. UI
11. MSU
12. WSU
13. NCU
TOTAL DEFENSE
1. WSU
2. EWU
3. PSU
4. MSU
5. NAU
6. NCU
7. UI
8. ‘um
9. UCD
10. CP
11. ISU
12. SSU
13. SUU
RUSH OFFENSE
1. CP
2. EWU
3. MSU
4. ISU
5. PSU
6. SSU
7. NAU
8. ‘um
9. UCD
10. SUU
11. WSU
12. UI
13. NCU
RUSH DEFENSE
1. WSU
2. PSU
3. EWU
4. MSU
5. NAU
6. ‘um
7. UI
8. NCU
9. UCD
10. ISU
11. SUU
12. CP
13. SSU
PASS OFFENSE
1. ISU
2. UCD
3. EWU
4. ‘um
5. NCU
6. UI
7. SUU
8. SSU
9. WSU
10. NAU
11. PSU
12. MSU
13. CP
PASS DEFENSE
1. SSU
2. NAU
3. EWU
4. MSU
5. WSU
6. CP
7. NCU
8. PSU
9. UI
10. UCD
11. ‘um
12. ISU
13. SUU

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am

Good article on the Cats and griz playoff chances:
https://herosports.com/fcs-football/mon ... -wild-ryry

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am
Interesting, that makes the chances even better in my mind. Before I was thinking that three things needed to happen. UND and ISU both lose and Cats win (obviously). That article pointed out though, that the UND things might not matter, it's more important for the Griz chances should they win. So long story short, ISU loses and Cats win and we're in.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am
91catAlum wrote:
Interesting, that makes the chances even better in my mind. Before I was thinking that three things needed to happen. UND and ISU both lose and Cats win (obviously). That article pointed out though, that the UND things might not matter, it's more important for the Griz chances should they win. So long story short, ISU loses and Cats win and we're in.
To make a short story even shorter THIS IS A PLAYOFF GAME AND THE WINNER GETS A HOME PLAYOFF GAME. If you think that the Montana schools with their attendance records won't get a home game you haven't been following the Money Trail. It's the GOLDEN RULE and GOLD RULES in all sports!!!!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
To make a short story even shorter THIS IS A PLAYOFF GAME AND THE WINNER GETS A HOME PLAYOFF GAME. If you think that the Montana schools with their attendance records won't get a home game you haven't been following the Money Trail. It's the GOLDEN RULE and GOLD RULES in all sports!!!!

I'd say desmond1957 is probably correct.
Though I'd put the odds at 100% for MSU and for UM a bit less at 85%.
Montana still needs a few other teams to lose to guarantee a playoff slot.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm
desmond1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I'd say desmond1957 is probably correct.
Though I'd put the odds at 100% for MSU and for UM a bit less at 85%.
Montana still needs a few other teams to lose to guarantee a playoff slot.
Cats need to win, and have Weber beat ISU.

For the griz, they need to win, have Weber beat ISU, and have NAU beat und. I think that would do it.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 am

I dont think the Weber ISU game is critical for us, ISU has a DII on the schedule and cannot get to 7 DI wins.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 am
I dont think the Weber ISU game is critical for us, ISU has a DII on the schedule and cannot get to 7 DI wins.
It would seem that way, but everything I've read from Craig Haley, and HERO Sports says otherwise.
7 D1 wins isn't a requirement. There will be at least 1 MVC team that gets in with 6 wins.
If Idaho state beats Weber, I think they're in at 7-4 with a D2 win.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am
cats2506 wrote:
It would seem that way, but everything I've read from Craig Haley, and HERO Sports says otherwise.
7 D1 wins isn't a requirement. There will be at least 1 MVC team that gets in with 6 wins.
If they could get to 7 wins, they could beat another BSC team in, in fact, they would beat us in with the head to head. They aren't going to get in over a team from the same conference with more DI wins.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am
91catAlum wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
If they could get to 7 wins, they could beat another BSC team in, in fact, they would beat us in with the head to head. They aren't going to get in over a team from the same conference with more DI wins.
I agree. I suppose if MSU and ISU both win there would be a slight chance we'd both be in but honestly if it's one or the other they probably deserve it more.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am

DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
I hope you're right, but like I said, that's not what the FCS pundits are saying. If Idaho State beats Weber, they'd be 6-2 in the conference, with wins over MSU, UND, and Weber. There's no way MSU gets in over ISU if they knock off Weber to get to 7-4/6-2 even with the D2 win.

From HERO Sports: https://herosports.com/fcs/football-pla ... teams-bzbz
"MSU is in the same predicament as Montana with none of its wins coming against playoff teams, unless WIU gets in at 6-5. What does help is three of the losses are against Top 5 teams. If the Bobcats win at Montana and Idaho State doesn't pull off the upset on Weber, they have a decent shot."
"The Bengals will not be able to reach seven D1 victories because of a non-counter win and hosts highly-ranked Weber State this weekend. A win would be hard to keep them out at 6-2 in the Big Sky and with wins against bubble teams UND and Montana State."

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 am
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
I hope you're right, but like I said, that's not what the FCS pundits are saying. If Idaho State beats Weber, they'd be 6-2 in the conference, with wins over MSU, UND, and Weber. There's no way MSU gets in over ISU if they knock off Weber to get to 7-4/6-2 even with the D2 win.

"MSU is in the same predicament as Montana with none of its wins coming against playoff teams, unless WIU gets in at 6-5. What does help is three of the losses are against Top 5 teams. If the Bobcats win at Montana and Idaho State doesn't pull off the upset on Weber, they have a decent shot."
"The Bengals will not be able to reach seven D1 victories because of a non-counter win and hosts highly-ranked Weber State this weekend. A win would be hard to keep them out at 6-2 in the Big Sky and with wins against bubble teams UND and Montana State."
I guess that's fair enough. It just seems odd to have a team with a worse record in over others, but a win over Weber would be pretty convincing.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am
91catAlum wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I guess that's fair enough. It just seems odd to have a team with a worse record in over others, but a win over Weber would be pretty convincing.
And they beat us head to head. IMO that means they should get in ahead of us.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm

This is a forgone conclusion, I'm never wrong. We beat Griz we are in playoffs, with a first round home game.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am
91catAlum wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

And they beat us head to head. IMO that means they should get in ahead of us.
I hear what you're saying, but we always chop each other up. In the BSC, there are lots of times where a team beats another and isn't even close to recognized as a potential playoff contender, because they just don't have a good enough W/L record. For example, NAU beat Weber, but that doesn't really matter. Though I'll concede that we have much closer records than they have.