Stadium through the years

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Stadium through the years

Post by kmax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Felix, if you have it online somewhere already in pdf format you can link to it here. If not if you want it put online I would be happy to do it and post it here. I'm sure I had one from back then, but I doubt I still have one.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Here is the article from Felix. Click on a page to open a larger version that can be read more easily.

Interesting to note that while this article devotes half it's space or more to the creation of Reno H Sales and the controversies around it, there still is no image of a pre-1997 renovation stadium.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:47 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm
kmax wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm
I do have some images of the old Reno H. Sales stadium, but they are mostly from old media guides and programs. I'll have to dig them out of storage.
That would be great! It's crazy to think there are multiple images of 100+ year old "stadiums" and aerial photos of 80+ year old "stadiums" online but nothing to be found online of the stadium that the Cats won 2 National Championships in.
and that I won hundreds of football games in behind the old bleachers... \:D/
Best action came under the bleachers.....

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks so much for posting all of this! Some cool stuff in here!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:47 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
kmax wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I do have some images of the old Reno H. Sales stadium, but they are mostly from old media guides and programs. I'll have to dig them out of storage.
That would be great! It's crazy to think there are multiple images of 100+ year old "stadiums" and aerial photos of 80+ year old "stadiums" online but nothing to be found online of the stadium that the Cats won 2 National Championships in.
This....SO many of my friends had great times under there...I was the lookout.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 am

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am
lutecat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
kmax wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Ok, i've gotta know. Are we talking about football or something else?

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 am
SACCAT wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am
lutecat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
kmax wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Ok, i've gotta know. Are we talking about football or something else?
[/quote

Definitely not football.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Pictures are from some old media guides I have from the 1980s. I'll keep looking for more photos.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Pretty packed stands......

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:51 pm

In the aerial photo there's a surprising number of motor homes and campers in the parking lot west of the stands. I thought that was invented in Missoula in the 1990's. :wink:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Here is a picture of the old press box. I believe the old West grandstands are now part of Nelson Stadium at Carroll College.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm
Here is a picture of the old press box. I believe the old West grandstands are now part of Nelson Stadium at Carroll College.

Nice, thanks for that pic. And yes they are, sat in them for a game earlier this year which was actually one of the times that I went online searching for pics of them in Sales Stadium and came up empty.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 pm

1975 season.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Nice, thanks for that pic. And yes they are, sat in them for a game earlier this year which was actually one of the times that I went online searching for pics of them in Sales Stadium and came up empty.
Those stands have witnessed two different teams win eight national championships in two separate cities. Kind of interesting.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 pm
1975 season.

Isn’t this picture looking towards campus? I don’t recall having stands in the north end zone.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 am
AFCAT wrote:
1975 season.

Isn’t this picture looking towards campus? I don’t recall having stands in the north end zone.
Yes, it is looking North towards the campus. I remember stands there in the 70s and 80s.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
1975 season.

I remember being in the north end zone stands for a playoff game in Bozeman in '84. It had snowed a LOT the night prior to the game and a bunch of us were enlisted to shovel snow off of the stands and were allowed to just stick around for the game. I am pretty sure it was the Arkansas State game because I distinctly remember the opposing team NOT liking the conditions.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am

In Junior and Senior high school in the 70's and early 80's we would sit in the North end zone bleachers. the South was end was the college student section. I recall trying to catch the PAT and field goal balls, and several never made it out of the stands. Juvenile souvenirs for backyard pick up games. The South end zone bleachers would have ankle deep bottles and cans under them at the end of games, the booze smugglers were at an elite level back in those days. :suds:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 am

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
1975 season.

Check the aerial photo from AFCat just a few posts above that and you can see what it looks like. I too remember coming up and sitting in those north stands for games when I was younger.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am
In Junior and Senior high school in the 70's and early 80's we would sit in the North end zone bleachers. the South was end was the college student section. I recall trying to catch the PAT and field goal balls, and several never made it out of the stands. Juvenile souvenirs for backyard pick up games. The South end zone bleachers would have ankle deep bottles and cans under them at the end of games, the booze smugglers were at an elite level back in those days. :suds:
The student section, at least when I was there from 1978 to 1982, was on the 50 yard line in the east grandstands. The south end zone is where the Grizzlies had to sit. :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz