EWU Coming to Town

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

EWU Coming to Town

Post by kwcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 am

Very good Eastern team coming to town.
Gubrud is good. As good as Christion, but different.
Custer is really good. Fast as heck.

We need improved lb play and to play better than we have to be in this game.

What does everybody have to say about MSU keys to win?

Please post any media from EWU you run across as well as the week goes by.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: EWU Coming to Town

Post by kwcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 am

In 2010, Eastern came to town ranked #1 in the country. We hammered Taiwan Jones and company that day 30-7.
It was their only loss other than Mountain West Nevada in route to a national championship.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

The crowd need to bring our A Game.

As for the team. I’d like to see us win the TOP by a large margin and wear out their defense. take care of the ball. Control the line of scrimmage. Make them earn every yard and not give up the big play. Hopefully rip off a big special teams return.

Probably need to put up 30 to have a chance.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 am

Bobcats overpower Eastern Washington
Facing the most exciting player in football, Montana State’s defensive front knew what it had to do on Saturday,
stop Taiwan Jones. Consider it done.
Paul Burns
Football
Posted: 9/25/2010 4:47:18 PM
Equally challenged was the Bobcat offensive front, which was missing three starters. The Bobcats never skipped
a beat, overpowering ninth-ranked Eastern Washington 30-7.
Jones entered Saturday's game leading the nation with 287.3 all-purpose yards a game, but on a sunny day in
Bozeman, he found the going tough. Jones returned the opening kickoff 26 yards and then ran for 11 more on his
first rushing attempt. But not much happened after that.
Jones finished with 63 yards rushing, well below his average of 151.7 per game. He had such little impact in the
game that by the time he limped off the field in the third quarter, never to return, the Bobcats were in command.
Seventeenth-ranked MSU (3-1 overall, 1-0 in Big Sky) never trailed in the game, scoring first on a pitchout to
Everett Gilbert in the first quarter. On EWU's next possession, defensive tackle Zach Minter intercepted an
errant pass by Bo Levi Mitchell and rambled 53 yards to make it 13-0.
It was the second straight game with a score for the 265-pounder. In last week's home win against Drake, the
surprisingly agile sophomore stripped the ball from Drake's quarterback and recovered the fumble in the end
zone.
Minter was one of the Bobcats tasked with keeping EWU's Jones in check. He was joined up front by a rotation
of Preston Gale, Dan Ogden, John Laidet and Caleb Schreibeis. Overall, EWU totaled 382 total yards, but
turned it over two times.
EWU (2-2, 1-1) trimmed it to 13-7 when Mitchell hit Nicolas Edwards for a 9-yard score, but the Bobcats closed
out the first half scoring when holder Rick Haluszka scampered 4 yards with a faked field goal making it 20-7 at

halftime.
MSU received a solid performance from its offensive line. Stalwart Mike Person did his usual fine job of
opening holes, but Casey Dennehy, Shaun Sampson, Andrew Verlanic, Alex Terrien and Jesse Hoffman rotated
into the other four spots in splendid fashion.
Passing with ample protection from the patched-together line, quarter Denarius McGhee was a solid 15 of 24 for
283 yards. His forward 1-yard pitch to CJ Palmer in the fourth quarter was the clinching touchdown and came
moments after Jason Cunningham's 23-yard field goal.
Elvis Akpla was McGhee's favorite target, catching five passes for 117 yards. The Bobcats finished with 156
yards rushing as Orenzo Davis picked up 66 yards on 17 carries.
All-America linebacker JC Sherritt lived up to his billing for the Eagles, leading all players with 11 tackles.
Safety Jordan Craney was MSU's top tackler, pulling down nine Eagles and forcing a fumble that linebacker
Jody Owens recovered in the fourth quarter.
Mitchell completed 24 of 49 passes for 272 yards. Brandon Kaufman caught six balls for 82 yards.
Both teams continue league play next week; MSU travels to Sacramento State, while EWU goes to Weber State

Copyright ©2018 Montana State University

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:31 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

As for the team. I’d like to see us win the TOP by a large margin and wear out their defense. take care of the ball. Control the line of scrimmage. Make them earn every yard and not give up the big play. Hopefully rip off a big special teams return.

A turnover margin of +2 would certainly help.

EWU is fast on both sides of the ball.

Will have to set the edge with their fast backs while not allowing Gubrud to escape up the middle.

Means improved lb play for a start.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:43 am

Different year, but what a great motivator!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:50 am

I give us a 1-in-4 chance of winning and I think the key will be turnovers. We need to be +2 along with forcing at least two EWU punts. A tall order.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Webster is an insane receiver. He runs like a man possessed after the catch.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Konkol, Kanow and Borges at LB in our Nickle Defense.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Defensive line needs to shine brighter than ever. Our corners have to cover like a wet blanket, they are competitors, but the have been vulnerable at times. LB’s have to play fast and flawless. I think lots of points will go on the board.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Defensive line needs to shine brighter than ever. Our corners have to cover like a wet blanket, they are competitors, but they have been vulnerable at times. LB’s have to play fast and flawless. I think lots of points will go on the board.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Defensive line needs to shine brighter than ever. Our corners have to cover like a wet blanket, they are competitors, but the have been vulnerable at times. LB’s have to play fast and flawless. I think lots of points will go on the board.
I think we need to see better leverage on the pass rush from our interior D Line, and fast play by LBs.

The advantages we gain by leaning on their D with run game are only realized if they aren’t scoring TDs on 80% of their drives, which we know they are capable of.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:52 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

I think at least 40 and probably 50.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

What's the chance that EWU practices all week for TA and we give them a healthy dose of TR on Saturday. I think that it was smart not to show anything we didn't need to in our win at PSU. If I remember correctly. except for the first possession we scored every time we had the ball. We obviously didn't need to do more so why should we. When TR was called upon it looks like he did exactly what he was asked to to. Maybe the game plan this week is to ask him to do more. Maybe a lot more.

I think Choate has a little chess player in him. Planning the next move while making his current move. If that's correct then playing TA last week makes good sense even if you have a bigger role for TR planned. It will take some great coaching and maybe some unorthodox coaching to beat EWU but I am confident that Choate and company will come up with that plan to give us a chance.

Pound the rock until we steal their soul. And then have TR come in and drop a dime to TA on the wheel route. Who knows? Certainly not me but it's fun to speculate.

Any body miss Mac Bignell yet?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 pm

I think you're going to hear "Sterk" over the loudspeakers an incredible number of times in the second half. That, and it's going to be a much lower scoring game than many here think because this is a game a few of our injured kids will see considerable play time because this staff stated they were going to use them judiciously in order to get them through the season.

The Cats have an incredible secondary, in my opinion, and this is the best DL I've seen in over thirty years. I have a good feeling about this group of kids playing real MSU Bobcat footbal this weekend.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:47 pm

cats will have to

1- Control the ball
2- Make EWU have long Drives
3- Have 1 or zero Turnovers
4- Keep the Eagles under 30 points

Have watched them play and this year they score in bunches. It looks like they are bored and them the score 3 TDs in 8 minutes.

cats (and all other BSC teams) have their hands full. I really can't see anyone in the BS beating them.
They play at Weber and host UC Davis this year. UC Davis might have the O to outscore them... Weber does not.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:47 pm
cats will have to

1- Control the ball
2- Make EWU have long Drives
3- Have 1 or zero Turnovers
4- Keep the Eagles under 30 points

Have watched them play and this year they score in bunches. It looks like they are bored and them the score 3 TDs in 8 minutes.

cats (and all other BSC teams) have their hands full. I really can't see anyone in the BS beating them.
They play at Weber and host UC Davis this year. UC Davis might have the O to outscore them... Weber does not.
Their quick scoring isn’t different than any other year. We’re going to have to execute to perfection, convert at least one turnover into points, and catch them on an off day.

On your list, we’ve done everything in the past except keep them under 30 points and still lost by 2+ scores.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm
What's the chance that EWU practices all week for TA and we give them a healthy dose of TR on Saturday. I think that it was smart not to show anything we didn't need to in our win at PSU. If I remember correctly. except for the first possession we scored every time we had the ball. We obviously didn't need to do more so why should we. When TR was called upon it looks like he did exactly what he was asked to to. Maybe the game plan this week is to ask him to do more. Maybe a lot more.

I think Choate has a little chess player in him. Planning the next move while making his current move. If that's correct then playing TA last week makes good sense even if you have a bigger role for TR planned. It will take some great coaching and maybe some unorthodox coaching to beat EWU but I am confident that Choate and company will come up with that plan to give us a chance.

Pound the rock until we steal their soul. And then have TR come in and drop a dime to TA on the wheel route. Who knows? Certainly not me but it's fun to speculate.

I’d say 50-50. I’d not be surprised at all if Rovig starts and comes out slinging it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

I’d say 50-50. I’d not be surprised at all if Rovig starts and comes out slinging it.
I keep expecting one of these games they start TA use him for three or four drives maybe even first half, have the other team “adjust”. Then go pro style and throw the ball all over the field

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:08 pm

We are going to lose by 20.

Our d isnt playing great and our offense is much to one dimensional to run with EWU.

We are definitely getting better and I love being 3-1 against all fcs but we aren’t good enough yet to compete with EWU.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level