EWU Coming to Town

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: EWU Coming to Town

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:11 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:51 am
clawman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:39 am
kwcat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 am
In 2010, Eastern came to town ranked #1 in the country. We hammered Taiwan Jones and company that day 30-7.
It was their only loss other than Mountain West Nevada in route to a national championship.
Talk about living in the past...that was 8 years ago!!! ](*,)
Hey man, that's about what we've got to brag about in this series. 2014 was an opportunity, Vernon converted a 4th and like 15 i think on the final drive, with a throw into a zone hole up the far sideline to your 4th receiver. Guy was a phenomenal talent. Then you go for 2 and get it by 6 inches. Other than the win in 2010, and 2011 at your place, that was as close as we've been; you guys have been great against us. I think it'll take a flawed effort from your team, and a perfect one from ours, for that trend to stop this week.
In 2010, we "punched them in the mouth" right from the get go and they never recovered. I haven't watched them this year but they are typically more of a finesse team so if we can bring it from the get go and wear them out we might have a chance. The dline CANNOT let Gubrud out of the pocket like they did with Alexander. They must have missed like 3-4 sacks when we got great penetration. Giving up 3rd and long on a qb scramble against Gubrud will be back breaking. Kanow, Hadley and Jobman better bring their A+++ game. We really need to play a perfect game and hope for a couple mistakes from EWU to win this one I think.
I am not worried about our offense in this game. I agree it is the defense and mainly the LB play that is going to determine the outcome. Our LBs are going to have to step up and be in the right alignments. We need to stop those end runs. And, keeping Gubrud in the pocket is going to be crucial. Coach Gregorak has his work cut out for him this week!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am

EWU 48 MSU 32

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 am

I'm not worried (that much) about our offense either. PSU isn't good defensively but they weren't last year and we scored 16 more points than we did last year, and we subbed out our starters in the 4th. Fact is this team, even with TA at the helm, has the potential to score more points than we did last year. As many as we would if Rovig were starting? I don't know that answer, but I think we can score this year.

As others have stated, defense is what concerns me. If we score 42 points it doesn't do any good if we give up 56. And I don't see any way to contain their speed guys with how our LB corp is playing right now. If there was a game where'd I've love to see TA and Konkol at LB, this would be it. But that just isn't going to happen.

I would like to see Konkol move down to LB for this game - I think JoJo, Alleyne and Borges are a good enough trio to hold it down for this game. Bring in Cole (assuming he is healthy) for the nickel package.

We are going to play the same defense we played last year against EWU and Wazzu. We don't have the personnel to do anything else yet.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm
I keep expecting one of these games they start TA use him for three or four drives maybe even first half, have the other team “adjust”. Then go pro style and throw the ball all over the field
As they say on Guinness commercials...brilliant!. We pound the ball with a TA type offense all first half and soften em up, make them spend the entire 1st half and halftime making adjustments to that, then come out with TR in the 2nd half with a pro-style offense. Just think how that would make future teams on our schedule have to prepare.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 am
I'm not worried (that much) about our offense either. PSU isn't good defensively but they weren't last year and we scored 16 more points than we did last year, and we subbed out our starters in the 4th. Fact is this team, even with TA at the helm, has the potential to score more points than we did last year. As many as we would if Rovig were starting? I don't know that answer, but I think we can score this year.

As others have stated, defense is what concerns me. If we score 42 points it doesn't do any good if we give up 56. And I don't see any way to contain their speed guys with how our LB corp is playing right now. If there was a game where'd I've love to see TA and Konkol at LB, this would be it. But that just isn't going to happen.

I would like to see Konkol move down to LB for this game - I think JoJo, Alleyne and Borges are a good enough trio to hold it down for this game. Bring in Cole (assuming he is healthy) for the nickel package.

We are going to play the same defense we played last year against EWU and Wazzu. We don't have the personnel to do anything else yet.
Was mentioned in another thread so I thought I would post it here too: one big difference from last year is our RZ efficiency. We would have scored a lot more points but had several crucial mistakes in the RZ take away scoring opportunities.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06 pm

technoCat wrote:
I haven't watched them this year but they are typically more of a finesse team so if we can bring it from the get go and wear them out we might have a chance.
I've been watching EWU football for a long time and I think most years (and certainly in the recent past) this would be an absolutely true statement. Arguably, being finesse-oriented has been the one thing that's kept us from getting past the semi-finals on 3 separate occasions since our National Championship year.

This year's team is a little different. The rushing numbers are pretty mind-boggling (290 per game), and I'm not sure if that's due to who we've played or if we're just that much better at running this year. Probably a little bit of both, but it's very apparent to me that we're going to run the ball against most teams this year. I know MSU's defense is big and physical, so no doubt it'll be a challenging game for us. It always is even in our best years, not sure why anyone would think this year's different. The 2013 game where we didn't punt was really just an outlier...I remember most of the others being very close. The 2014 game was an absolute classic.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:44 pm

ewuranger29 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06 pm
technoCat wrote:
I haven't watched them this year but they are typically more of a finesse team so if we can bring it from the get go and wear them out we might have a chance.
I've been watching EWU football for a long time and I think most years (and certainly in the recent past) this would be an absolutely true statement. Arguably, being finesse-oriented has been the one thing that's kept us from getting past the semi-finals on 3 separate occasions since our National Championship year.

This year's team is a little different. The rushing numbers are pretty mind-boggling (290 per game), and I'm not sure if that's due to who we've played or if we're just that much better at running this year. Probably a little bit of both, but it's very apparent to me that we're going to run the ball against most teams this year. I know MSU's defense is big and physical, so no doubt it'll be a challenging game for us. It always is even in our best years, not sure why anyone would think this year's different. The 2013 game where we didn't punt was really just an outlier...I remember most of the others being very close. The 2014 game was an absolute classic.
I expect this one to be a classic as well. We just have more dudes than we've had in 3 or 4 years. It's as simple as that.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm

ewuranger29 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

I got to watch the 2014 game from near the 50 yard line with my son (got to use a friends tickets). Except for the finish, one of the best games I ever watched. My son and I still talk about it to this day.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm

As annoying as the entitlement from our great friends to west can be, sometimes I'm envious of that they always actually believe they are going to win. I wish the Cat fans didn't always act so defeatist. Somewhere in the middle would be great.

Let's review. After Chapman went down late on what looked like a routine tackle, we were down our #'s 1, 2 ,3, 4, and 5 LBs for SDSU. Plus Alleyne, after crushing it in camp and proving he's a starting safety and it's not even close, goes down late untouched in the middle of field with nobody around him. We also learned Hadley was talking longer then we hoped to get to game speed. Then Troy can't play QB after the coaches 100% commit to him, so we start a freshman in his first ever start on the road against an elite team. Then just to pile on the next day Choate had an appendectomy and felt like horsesh!t during the game. I'm surprised it was as close as it was. I don't care about that game. You get one like that as long as it's early in the season.

Fast forward to Saturday. Kanow is back with good reps in the last game, Collins is back with plenty of reps, and Hadley is way better now than we was. Alleyne is back and looking good. With the depth and talent in the back 4 (5), I think we set up well. Bozeman is an tough place to play and we should be able to limit them to an extent. It's not a foregone conclusion that they can execute their gameplan the way they want to. After scoring 70, this might be a trap game for them.

On O Andersen is back and very dangerous, and his injury gave Rovig a chance to prove what he can do. As a bonus a true freshman RB has emerged as an incredibly dangerous player. I don't even care what we show on O on Saturday, we should be very productive. I don't think it hurt that Poly rushed 86 times and Protheroe had 186 yards. We are going to do the same things and it's going to pound the hell out of them again. This time on the road at 5000 feet.

We can't 'Poly' these guys and expect it to be a close game. Poly gave up multiple fumble scoop and scores, did not score from the 1 yard line, and gave up a staggering number of big plays. We need to win on TO margin and make then earn their yards. We need them to kick FGs. We need to pressure. We are set up to do these things on Saturday.

I believe we can win this game.
Last edited by Darth Yoda on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm
So, EWU would be favored by about 15 on a neutral field, 20 at home, 7.5 in Bozeman.

Another surprising one, to me, is NDSU is now an 11 point favorite over SDSU. I realize they are the bison, but SDSU looks really really good this year, and has beaten NDSU a couple times in the last few years. Certainly NDSU deserves to be the favorite, but if I were a gambling man, I'd take SDSU with the 11 points.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:50 pm

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 pm

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm
As annoying as the entitlement from our great friends to west can be, sometimes I'm envious of that they always actually believe they are going to win. I wish the Cat fans didn't always act so defeatist. Somewhere in the middle would be great.

Let's review. After Chapman went down late on what looked like a routine tackle, we were down our #'s 1, 2 ,3, 4, and 5 LBs for SDSU. Plus Alleyne, after crushing it in camp and proving he's a starting safety and it's not even close, goes down late untouched in the middle of field with nobody around him. We also learned Hadley was talking longer then we hoped to get to game speed. Then Troy can't play QB after the coaches 100% commit to him, so we start a freshman in his first ever start on the road against an elite team. Then just to pile on the next day Choate had an appendectomy and felt like horsesh!t during the game. I'm surprised it was as close as it was. I don't care about that game. You get one like that as long as it's early in the season.

Fast forward to Saturday. Kanow is back with good reps in the last game, Collins is back with plenty of reps, and Hadley is way better now than we was. Alleyne is back and looking good. With the depth and talent in the back 4 (5), I think we set up well. Bozeman is an tough place to play and we should be able to limit them to an extent. It's not a foregone conclusion that they can execute their gameplan the way they want to. After scoring 70, this might be a trap game for them.

On O Andersen is back and very dangerous, and his injury gave Rovig a chance to prove what he can do. As a bonus a true freshman RB has emerged as an incredibly dangerous player. I don't even care what we show on O on Saturday, we should be very productive. I don't think it hurt that Poly rushed 86 times and Protheroe had 186 yards. We are going to do the same things and it's going to pound the hell out of them again. This time on the road at 5000 feet.

We can't 'Poly' these guys and expect it to be a close game. Poly gave up multiple fumble scoop and scores, did not score from the 1 yard line, and gave up a staggering number of big plays. We need to win on TO margin and make then earn their yards. We need them to kick FGs. We need to pressure. We are set up to do these things on Saturday.

I believe we can win this game.
=D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm
ewuranger29 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

I got to watch the 2014 game from near the 50 yard line with my son (got to use a friends tickets). Except for the finish, one of the best games I ever watched. My son and I still talk about it to this day.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 pm

kwcat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm
ewuranger29 wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Man did watching that tear open some wounds...

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Almost as bad as the year it was Eric Meyer vs Lulay and we had 5 downs to punch it in and couldn't get it done.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm
Almost as bad as the year it was Eric Meyer vs Lulay and we had 5 downs to punch it in and couldn't get it done.
Who was his main receiver? Kimble, was that it? F, the guys have had qbs and receivers, with some darn good backs sprinkled in, for it seems like 20 years straight! Hope we can keep that group sitting on the sidelines a good chunk of Saturday.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 pm

It’s time. This is MSU’s biggest and best shot at getting back into the national mix. It’s at home and it’s going into a bye week. The other big game is at WSU, but that’s on the road, so this is the biggest and best shot. Win and the rest of the season sets up nicely and they’ll be in the limelight. Lose and they still have a shot at the playoffs, but probably only as a non-seed.

The keys will be all the usual keys: no turnovers (EWU has been scoring a lot on defense); get off to a good start (EWU got up 14-0 on NAU in its only competitive game so far); limit big plays; force turnovers (MSU has just three all season, EWU has scored three tds off fumbles, including one of their own). My off the beaten path key is to hold EWU to field goals in the red zone. MSU has been doing a good job of this so far.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 pm
It’s time. This is MSU’s biggest and best shot at getting back into the national mix. It’s at home and it’s going into a bye week. The other big game is at WSU, but that’s on the road, so this is the biggest and best shot. Win and the rest of the season sets up nicely and they’ll be in the limelight. Lose and they still have a shot at the playoffs, but probably only as a non-seed.

The keys will be all the usual keys: no turnovers (EWU has been scoring a lot on defense); get off to a good start (EWU got up 14-0 on NAU in its only competitive game so far); limit big plays; force turnovers (MSU has just three all season, EWU has scored three tds off fumbles, including one of their own). My off the beaten path key is to hold EWU to field goals in the red zone. MSU has been doing a good job of this so far.
I like our chances , I think we will see some tweaks on both sides of the ball that will help some of your keys.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play