Very confused with the coaches decision

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Very confused with the coaches decision

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 pm
Per an NFL study from 2007-09, Running backs are 4.5 times more likely to get hurt than quarterbacks. Linebackers are twice as likely to get hurt as quarterbacks.
So, what’s your point? NFL QB’s don’t run 20 times a game & are a protected species.
That was the only study I found. What does the study you found say?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lgeorge24
New Recruit

Post by lgeorge24 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm

I don't know why the coaches don't just bench everyone EXCEPT Troy. Everyone seems to think he can do it all. SMH
You people need to get a grip.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:35 pm

exppi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:31 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 am
utucats wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:09 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 am
and they WILL stop TA.
Who will? And when? Hasn’t happened yet. They say enjoy the ride but most Cat fans want to jump out of the car mid trip.
Did you watch the WIU game? When TA starts at QB, there’s minimal pass threat. Teams with athletic LBs & safeties are going to key onto him & stack the box because they know there’s no deep threat. You’ll see TA make some nice throws like the slant to Kassis yesterday, but that’s like a carbon copy of watching Tim Tebow try to QB in the NFL.
I did watch that game. How did that turn out for us? Did TA do enough to get us a win? Name one game we’ve won this season against a more impressive opponent.
How did it turn out for us? TA with a broken hand and wearing a club for 2 games.
Thankfully LBs never get hurt :roll: This is the TA shouldn’t play Qb crowds thinking- we can’t afford to get TA hurt playing QB so we should move him to a position where we have been decimated by injuries.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 pm

People that need to get a grip will never convince the others that need to get grip that they in fact don't need to get a grip.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm

I need to get a grip. ****** it! I’m convinced. Start Rovig, move TA to LB and he’ll never get hurt and will surely end up in the NFL.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:43 pm

lgeorge24 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 pm
I don't know why the coaches don't just bench everyone EXCEPT Troy. Everyone seems to think he can do it all. SMH
You people need to get a grip.
The players I’ve heard speak about Andersen all think he is a great athlete. Rovig said Andersen is the best athlete he’s ever seen in person. I would imagine Andersen would excel at DE, LB, S, WR, TE, RB, QB, LS and P if he put his mind to it. Not sure he could put on the weight necessary to play OL or DT. He’s an excellent basketball player and track sprinter. Not sure if he did a summer sport like baseball or rodeo.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat8191
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cat8191 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:52 pm

I just want to throw out a hypothetical question. If you were the coach of a D1 football team heading into the teeth of the season, and for whatever reason, injuries, academics or inexperience, let's say you only had two viable options at QB. Would you: #1 Start your once in a lifetime playmaker, and keep a highly capable playmaker in reserve since, obviously, injuries happen; or #2, move your once in a lifetime playmaker to LB and really, really, really hope nothing bad happens to your only viable quarterback?

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Let's compare the Wagner Performance vs the PSU performance:

Wagner:
Drive 1: Fumble (Rovig, lost)
Drive 2: Touchdown (2 plays, 30 yards)
Drive 3: Touchdown (10 plays, 79 yards)
Drive 4: Field Goal (5 plays, 42 yards)
Drive 5: Touchdown (2 plays, 73 yards)
Drive 6: Punt (6 plays, 22 yards)
Drive 7: Touchdown (9 plays, 80 yards)
Drive 8: Punt (6 plays, 12 yards)
Drive 9: Touchdown (1 play, 29 yards)
Drive 10: Field Goal (6 plays, 66 yards)
Drive 11: Punt (3 plays, -10 yards)
Drive 12: Punt (3 plays, -8 yards)
Drive 13: Punt (3 plays, 4 yards)

Total:
13 Drives: 5 TDs, 2 FGs, 3 Punts, 1 TO
38% Touchdown Ratio
54% Score Ratio
8% T/O Ratio
Points Per Drive: 3.615
Yards Per Play: 7.12
3rd Down Effic: 5/15 (33%)

Portland State: Will exclude last drive, as it was #2 offense
Drive 1: Punt (7 Plays, 36 yards)
Drive 2: Touchdown (4 plays, 20 yards)
Drive 3: Touchdown (7 plays, 65 yards)
Drive 4: Touchdown (4 plays, 70 yards)
Drive 5: Touchdown (11 plays, 70 yards)
Drive 6: Field Goal (10 plays, 53 yards)
Drive 7: Touchdown (7 plays, 70 yards)
Drive 8: Touchdown (4 plays, 75 yards)

Total:
8 Drives, 6 TDs, 1 FG, 1 Punt,
75% Touchdown Ratio
88% Score Ratio
0% T/O Ratio
Points per Drive: 5.375 (2 missed PATs)
Yards per Play: 7.55
3rd Down Effic: 8/16 (50%)

I'm not 100% convinced of who our quarterback should be yet, but I think Wagner and PSU are very comparable opponents, and it is evident our offensive efficiency was substantially better against Portland State. We can't get into a shootout with EWU and Rovig (IMO). We have to control ball, sustain drive and score at a high ratio. I think Troy gives us the best chance to do that. This will be a great test to see if the Troy formula, is the correct one. It may not look as pretty at times, but our offense with TA at QB is a nightmare to defend. If I'm the EWU Defensive Coordinator, I'm praying we start Rovig. ....and that is nothing against Rovig.
Last edited by Whisky_Ditch on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Cat8191 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:52 pm
I just want to throw out a hypothetical question. If you were the coach of a D1 football team heading into the teeth of the season, and for whatever reason, injuries, academics or inexperience, let's say you only had two viable options at QB. Would you: #1 Start your once in a lifetime playmaker, and keep a highly capable playmaker in reserve since, obviously, injuries happen; or #2, move your once in a lifetime playmaker to LB and really, really, really hope nothing bad happens to your only viable quarterback?
Your example contains an unjustified assumption, e.g. a loaded question. The technical term is logical fallacy. You presume Bauman and Beltran are not able to play for any reason in order to funnel responses towards your desired response. Did I miss anything?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Cat8191 wrote:
That’s the best argument I’ve heard so far for keeping TA at QB...that an injury puts Beltran or Bauman on the field & they aren’t ready yet.

I’m willing to consider that. Unfortunately, it does nothing to address the issue at LB.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Whisky_Ditch wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Wagner:

Total:
38% Touchdown Ratio
54% Score Ratio
8% T/O Ratio

Total:
75% Touchdown Ratio
88% Score Ratio
0% T/O Ratio

I'm not 100% convinced of who our quarterback should be yet, but I think Wagner and PSU are very comparable opponents, and it is evident our offensive efficiency was substantially better against Portland State. We can't get into a shootout with EWU and Rovig (IMO). We have to control ball, sustain drive and score at a high ratio. I think Troy gives us the best chance to do that. This will be a great test to see if the Troy formula, is the correct one. It may not look as pretty at times, but our offense with TA at QB is a nightmare to defend. If I'm the EWU Defensive Coordinator, I'm praying we start Rovig. ....and that is nothing against Rovig.
Interesting, I find myself agreeing with you, and I really don't like troy playing QB. I don't think he can throw the ball, at all... but i think he should start and play the majority against EWU, to try and keep their offense off the field. I kind of think we're in for it this week, and our best chance is to control the ball, run the clock, and try to win it late. If we get down a bunch early though, i think rovig will have to play. The troy-at-qb plan is not designed to play from down a few scores.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Whisky_Ditch wrote:

Wagner:

Total:
38% Touchdown Ratio
54% Score Ratio
8% T/O Ratio

Total:
75% Touchdown Ratio
88% Score Ratio
0% T/O Ratio

Most of us aren’t concerned with the offense. TA might be a marginally better QB than TR. it’s how mediocre the D has been, especially in the first half of most of the games. Especially at LB.

Cat8191
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cat8191 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:09 pm
Cat8191 wrote:
Your example contains an unjustified assumption, e.g. a loaded question. The technical term is logical fallacy. You presume Bauman and Beltran are not able to play for any reason in order to funnel responses towards your desired response. Did I miss anything?
It may be unjustified, but its basically a quote from Choate. and hell, my desired response is just to make this place a little more dignified than egriz again. You whining SOBs are startin to make me want to puke.

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Let me add a few more stats that give some real hope for our chances:

EWU Offensive Efficiency vs. Cal Poly
12 Drives:
8 Touchdowns
2 Punts
2 T/Os (1 on Downs)
66% Touchdown Ratio
66% Score Ratio
17% T/O Ratio
Points Per Drive: 4.66
3rd Down Effic: 6/10 (60%)

We were:
9% better on TD Ratio
22% better on Score Ratio
17% better on T/O Ratio
.7 Points more per drive (including 2 missed PATs)

Our offense was more efficient on Saturday's than Eastern's. I have no idea how Cal Poly and Portland State compare, but those are the numbers we can compare, and those are numbers in our favor.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm

The defense gave up 23, 45, 24 and 23 points. With TA at QB against SDSU, there's no way the defense gets smoked that bad because the Rabbits wouldn't have had the ball that much...don't think the defense is an issue at all. Just a few junior high coaches who want to watch sandlot football on offense.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Whisky_Ditch wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm
Let me add a few more stats that give some real hope for our chances:

EWU Offensive Efficiency vs. Cal Poly
12 Drives:
8 Touchdowns
2 Punts
2 T/Os (1 on Downs)
66% Touchdown Ratio
66% Score Ratio
17% T/O Ratio
Points Per Drive: 4.66
3rd Down Effic: 6/10 (60%)

We were:
9% better on TD Ratio
22% better on Score Ratio
17% better on T/O Ratio
.7 Points more per drive (including 2 missed PATs)

Our offense was more efficient on Saturday's than Eastern's. I have no idea how Cal Poly and Portland State compare, but those are the numbers we can compare, and those are numbers in our favor.
Unfortunately, their defense also scored a couple of TDs.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 pm

I don’t know if the overall defense is better than last year or not. The LB play isn’t as good. The pass rush, 3rd down D and 4th quarter D are better. Only 3? forced turnovers so far, so about the same there.

Sterk and Allenye have helped a lot, but Bignell and Hill have been missed. Konkel took a really bad angle on a tackle attempt and ended up taking out one of his teammates. Later he got ran through by a RB. So maybe he just had a bad couple of plays. Washington had some bad footwork on consecutive long passes in the second quarter.

The second half defense has been very good. That tells you the coaching is very good. The coaches have been thrown a curveball at LB, but I think they’ll figure it out.

The PSU quarterback was no slouch. When he had time he made good plays. He made some good decisions when he didn’t have time. Good improviser. Their skill positions on offense were very solid. Their OL got a ah with holding a lot. Refs seem to let teams hold more when they get behind. Or is it just my imagination?
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Per an NFL study from 2007-09, Running backs are 4.5 times more likely to get hurt than quarterbacks. Linebackers are twice as likely to get hurt as quarterbacks.
As impressive as your stat skills are, this is apples and oranges and has no bearing in real terms for the college game.

Why? In the NFL you have NO teams running an almost exclusive zone read, featuring QB runs that net 200+ yards. Why? Well, the only teams that have tried used Michael Vick and Colin K...and now where are they? Vick was constantly criticised for not passing enough as was Kapernick.

You cannot mistreat NFL QB's because they are the franchise...and are as important as you have stated! So, every team that is a contender has a Bradyesque type QB...who if he runs, it is an anomaly. Why is that?

And...to your point, that is why they are not as likely to be hurt. Protected, non-running QB's who can deal the ball around. Not a Troy A head hunter who seeks out whom he will destroy on his runs! :)

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:19 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 pm
Whisky_Ditch wrote:

Wagner:

Total:
38% Touchdown Ratio
54% Score Ratio
8% T/O Ratio

Total:
75% Touchdown Ratio
88% Score Ratio
0% T/O Ratio

Interesting, I find myself agreeing with you, and I really don't like troy playing QB. I don't think he can throw the ball, at all... but i think he should start and play the majority against EWU, to try and keep their offense off the field. I kind of think we're in for it this week, and our best chance is to control the ball, run the clock, and try to win it late. If we get down a bunch early though, i think rovig will have to play. The troy-at-qb plan is not designed to play from down a few scores.
One question: IF Rovig were to start, could we not run a ball control offense with him and still feature Troy effectively? And, at least have the shadow of a chance for a deep ball occasionally? Would that NOT be possible? :-k

That was the rhetorical 1 question... :)
Last edited by catsrback76 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
As impressive as your stat skills are, this is apples and oranges and has no bearing in real terms for the college game.

Why? In the NFL you have NO teams running an almost exclusive zone read, featuring QB runs that net 200+ yards. Why? Well, the only teams that have tried used Michael Vick and Colin K...and now where are they? Vick was constantly criticised for not passing enough as was Kapernick.

You cannot mistreat NFL QB's because they are the franchise...and are as important as you have stated! So, every team that is a contender has a Bradyesque type QB...who if he runs, it is an anomaly. Why is that?

And...to your point, that is why they are not as likely to be hurt. Protected, non-running QB's who can deal the ball around. Not a Troy A head hunter who seeks out whom he will destroy on his runs! :)
He got hurt.