The Good, the Bad, the Ugly PSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly PSU

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:37 am

The Good:

- 3-1 record and 1-0 on BSC! =D^ =D^ =D^
- TA rushing for 211 =D^ =D^ =D^
- TR 2-2 for 61 yards passing =D^
-Isaiah Infanse :19 carries for 100 yards =D^
-Kevin Kasis TD catch and run! =D^ =D^ =D^
- D Line pressure on the PSU QB! =D^
- Sterk getting 2 more sacks and I believe 2 TFL's =D^
- Alleyne INT =D^ =D^ =D^
- Offense total control all game. I think 7 possessions 7 scores. It was clear that PSU was simply not a good team, and was likely going to have been beat by Wagner should they have played them, that said, our offense scored at will and never seemed to have to press for anything.
- 2nd Half Defense on the whole holding PSU to 1 score. =D^
--Made FG's! =D^
- Reversed targeting call! =D^
Konkol's hit on the receiver! =D^

The Bad:

- The LB play is not solved and seems to not be learning lessons on alignment and scheme. Lots of pre snap staring at the sidelines and late alignment issues.
- The call from the coaches for the "swinging gate" after the first TD! :roll:
- Not getting about 5 more sacks due to over pursuit from the D Line letting the QB loose and free to run against our LB's who are 10-15 back.
- WAY too many long 3rd and longs that PSU converted when tighter coverage, held gaps, and better pressure should have produced punts.

The Ugly:

- The missed PAT
- The Missed Swinging Gate
- Reffing calls not explained or reviewed.

Overall, what an interesting and weird game all wrapped in one. Thrilled to get a road win in Conference! However, it was clear PSU is circling the drain and is in trouble. They probably don't win a game again this year. We were in control the whole game, and the team seemed to get the message early that the offence would have it's way with PSU.

I will get flamed on this, but as magnificent as TA played the game as a running QB, and 200 yards is amazing, I believe he would have had that from the RB position and we might/likely would have had 300 yards passing had Rovig been in as the starter. We shall never know, because it is clear that Coach is going to go with TA! I don't really get it, and scratch my head that many of you are pretty myopic on it, but it sure seems like we are boxing ourselves in with the style we are playing from the QB spot. Again, this is not a critique of TA, more a coaching one. I do trust the coaches and we will live or die on this decision, but this week going into a game again EWU, if we CAN'T pass...even IF TA gets another 200 yards on the ground, we will be driven out of the game by EWU's scoring. I don't know how we can stop EWU's passing attack with our LB play as it is, and if we don't get it figured out for the rest of the season we will continue to be exploited at the 2nd level of the Defence. IT IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM to solve as a team...I only wish we had a faster LB corp, or a Hill, Singleton, or Mac to make those quick adjustments when the RB breaks past the D line and get's free. Alas, we may never know how good we could be as a team because I don't really see a solution for the LB's except maybe......... 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly PSU

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:04 am

Good:
Second half defense. For third time and in four games the D stepped up significantly after the break.
Ifanse. He ran the ball more consistently vs. PSU than Wagner.
Ball control. After the first 5 possessions combined MSU had a 25-18 TOP edge.
Blocking. Another good game by OL, but Natee and Amos were devastating. WRs did well too. I thought the blocking by Natee and Amos was the biggest highlight of the game.
Pass D. MSU would probably be top 3 in BSC in PDE were it not for the SDSU game.
Pass O. 9-16-0, 168, 1td = 165.1 rating.
No turnovers.

Bad:
Back2back bombs of 40 and 35 yards late in second quarter when MSU had chance to seize control.
First conversion attempt.
Run D.

Ugly:
The officiating.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catgotmytung
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catgotmytung » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am

I think your points are on target. From my couch I would have expected Rovig to get another shot so he could build on last week. He came in for a couple of plays, made the beautiful throw to Anderson and then he was mostly out of the game. Our defense gave up too many yards, not enough stops. We are lacking team speed, we should have been able to get to that quarterback numerous more times. Coming up against Eastern Washington, we need some radical changes, because not only can they pass efficiently, they have a running game that you have to stop. We should be able to score some on them, but their defense is improved from last year. We have to be able to get their offense off the field or its going to be a long day.
Last edited by Catgotmytung on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am

Catgotmytung wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am
I think your points are on target. From my couch I would have expected Rovig to get another shot so he could build on last week. He came in for a couple of plays, made the beautiful throw to Anderson and then he was mostly out of the game. Our defense gave up too many yards, not enough stops. We are lacking team speed, we should have been able to get to that quarterback numerous more times. While we played well against Hampton last week, Northern Iowa played them this week and shut them out. Coming up against Eastern Washington, we need some radical changes, because not only can they pass efficiently, they have a running game that you have to stop. We should be able to score some on them, but their defense is improved from last year. We have to be able to get their offense off the field or its going to be a long day.
We didn't play Hampton last week.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:09 am

GOOD:
The offense was in complete control.
The Three headed monster in the backfield,(TA, II, Big Bacon). Love the formation.
D line was great. Derek Marks continues to quietly play well.
Troy threw the ball well. I love his emotion on the field. Twice I saw him being the first one in end zone to celebrate with players. That is why he is the starter, they believe in him.

Safety play

BAD:

LB are still learning and don’t appear confident
We over pursue a lot, BREAKDOWN!!!
Extra points, all the way around.

Ugly:
None we are coming along nicely.