Wagner

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Wagner

Post by cats2506 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 am

I got 2 EZ tickets available if anybody needs them
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46489

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am
Wagner DL is big and veteran. Our OL has in my opinion underwhelmed.

We have a hard time moving the ball, but defense forces a turnover or two and sets us up for an easy score.

24-13 Cats.
I think a lot of us have been thinking the same thing on the o line. I watched the replay of the WIU game last night and they actually played pretty damn well. There were running lanes all game. I also noticed our backs get hit and go backwards. There was nobody taking a hit and still lunging forward for 1 or 2 more yards. No broken tackles either outside of TA. Kind of like Army said the other day, some of those runs should have been 4, 5 or 6 yards.
We need to get the RBs involved, plain and simple. No one has stepped up but no one has really been given a chance to get into a flow. We have a bunch of young guys back there but they aren't going to get any experience when they only get 5 carries a game.

I have no problem if we keep running but it can't just be Troy Andersen left, Troy Andersen right. And we have to get something going in the passing game, it doesn't have to be bombs.

Colter said it best, SDSU didn't respect our passing game. They had 9 in the box. I imagine a team like Wagner probably isn't confident enough in their guys to stack 9 in there but we are going to see more of the same, and Murray isn't here to save us.

If Andersen can't soften defenses up with his arm we are going to be lucky to win 5 games. This is the game we need to show everyone we have a bit of teeth in the passing game.
Oh yeah I agree about the backs for sure. They need to get more touches than TA early in the game in my opinion. TA needs to be confident he can give the ball up in the zone reads as well.

I think TA can do enough in the passing game to keep defenses honest. It's just a matter of getting it going early. The 1st drive of the 2nd half against WIU was a thing of beauty. 50 of his 80 passing yards came on that drive. They were all simple throws to skill guys on screens, ins and hooks. TA can do that all day.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

We have a hard time moving the ball, but defense forces a turnover or two and sets us up for an easy score.

24-13 Cats.
I think a lot of us have been thinking the same thing on the o line. I watched the replay of the WIU game last night and they actually played pretty damn well. There were running lanes all game. I also noticed our backs get hit and go backwards. There was nobody taking a hit and still lunging forward for 1 or 2 more yards. No broken tackles either outside of TA. Kind of like Army said the other day, some of those runs should have been 4, 5 or 6 yards.
We need to get the RBs involved, plain and simple. No one has stepped up but no one has really been given a chance to get into a flow. We have a bunch of young guys back there but they aren't going to get any experience when they only get 5 carries a game.

I have no problem if we keep running but it can't just be Troy Andersen left, Troy Andersen right. And we have to get something going in the passing game, it doesn't have to be bombs.

Colter said it best, SDSU didn't respect our passing game. They had 9 in the box. I imagine a team like Wagner probably isn't confident enough in their guys to stack 9 in there but we are going to see more of the same, and Murray isn't here to save us.

If Andersen can't soften defenses up with his arm we are going to be lucky to win 5 games. This is the game we need to show everyone we have a bit of teeth in the passing game.
Oh yeah I agree about the backs for sure. They need to get more touches than TA early in the game in my opinion. TA needs to be confident he can give the ball up in the zone reads as well.

I think TA can do enough in the passing game to keep defenses honest. It's just a matter of getting it going early. The 1st drive of the 2nd half against WIU was a thing of beauty. 50 of his 80 passing yards came on that drive. They were all simple throws to skill guys on screens, ins and hooks. TA can do that all day.
That drive was beautiful! And Andersen has a great arm. Very strong! If memory serves me right, there were two dropped passes on the next drive, otherwise it might have been similar results.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:51 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

24-13 Cats.

That drive was beautiful! And Andersen has a great arm. Very strong! If memory serves me right, there were two dropped passes on the next drive, otherwise it might have been similar results.
Yes there was 2, and the 2nd would have been a 1st down. TA does have good zip and is definitely capable of balancing out the offense if he gets into a rhythm.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 am

MSU plays pissed off, and I love it: 31
Wagner: 16

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am

How many dropped passes have we had this season? Colter counted 5 in the first half against SDSU alone.

I don't think that's got enough discussion here. We want to be a team that throws efficiently, and if we are dropping 5-10% of the passes we aren't going to win many games doing that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 pm

CelticCat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

24-13 Cats.

CelticCat is right. I'd like for the QB to have a game where whoever is back there throws for 225+yds. The coaches say it is the RB's but I watch the games and I swear there is nothing on every run. I'm not a coach with reason; they are. If TA starts I want some RB to step-up. If the Cats can't run on Wagner than this projects as a rough year....

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm

First play, play action verticals. I don't even care if we don't complete the pass, have to keep these teams honest and prevent them from rolling their safeties into the box 99% of the game.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I don't see an official prediction thread so I will do it here like others have.
Cats 34 If Cats scored 26 on WIU we should be into the 30's against Wagner
Not Cats 13 Cat's defense fired up after last week

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:05 pm

[quote=RobertCats post_id=638161 time=1536867027 user_id=21129]
First play, play action verticals. I don't even care if we don't complete the pass, have to keep these teams honest and prevent them from rolling their safeties into the box 99% of the game.
[/quote]

THIS!! Or something like it. Throw 30-40 passes even if you only complete half.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:38 am
How many dropped passes have we had this season? Colter counted 5 in the first half against SDSU alone.

I don't think that's got enough discussion here. We want to be a team that throws efficiently, and if we are dropping 5-10% of the passes we aren't going to win many games doing that.
He only threw 25 passes so 5 drops would be 20%. Wow! That is a staggering number.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm
CelticCat wrote:

He only threw 25 passes so 5 drops would be 20%. Wow! That is a staggering number.
There's always a few dropped passes by each team every game in FCS ball. Same for FBS and NFL for that matter, but to a lesser extent. Five of 25 is a lot though. Personally, I don't think it would've made a difference in the end. Hard to say for sure.

The offense's inability not just to score, but to keep the defense off the field really threw the game on bad path. The defense held SDSU to 31 yards on 9 plays to start the game, but three straight 3 and outs and a short field took their toll for SDSU's first TD. The second TD needed conversions on 3rd and 15 and fourth and 1, which included fumble that SDSU recovered.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There's always a few dropped passes by each team every game in FCS ball. Same for FBS and NFL for that matter, but to a lesser extent. Five of 25 is a lot though. Personally, I don't think it would've made a difference in the end. Hard to say for sure.

The offense's inability not just to score, but to keep the defense off the field really threw the game on bad path. The defense held SDSU to 31 yards on 9 plays to start the game, but three straight 3 and outs and a short field took their toll for SDSU's first TD. The second TD needed conversions on 3rd and 15 and fourth and 1, which included fumble that SDSU recovered.
It may not have made a difference in the SDSU game but I firmly believe it would have in the WIU game. The 2 drops in 3 plays in the 2nd drive of the 2nd half killed momentum.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Bobcat Roundtable 2018: Wagner head coach Jason Houghtaling
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcat-roun ... ughtaling/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

It may not have made a difference in the SDSU game but I firmly believe it would have in the WIU game. The 2 drops in 3 plays in the 2nd drive of the 2nd half killed momentum.
I meant I don't think MSU would've won if they'd caught those passes. MSU did win against WIU, so the drops didn't hurt them in the win/loss column at least.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I meant I don't think MSU would've won if they'd caught those passes. MSU did win against WIU, so the drops didn't hurt them in the win/loss column at least.
Same issue goes for the last 2 years. I’m not sure if the WRs have a pre-game Crisco hand lather routine, or what...but it’s been bad for a while.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:

And it wasn’t like those balls we’re high,low or behind the receivers, pretty good passes , most of them . In a position for
Receivers to get some yac’s .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There is obviously no way to know but a couple extra first downs early in the SDSU game may mean we go into halftime down by less than 24. Maybe then those 2 tds in the second half are getting us with 1 score or 2 instead of 3 or 4. Maybe the d has a little more legs under them and gets on one of those fumbles or is in a better position to make a tackle on one of their big plays. Not getting any momentum on offense early has such a snowball effect. Luckily the defense pulled us out of it in game 1 but were unable to do the same in game 2. All I know is that I'm tired of people whining about throwing and getting the ball to "our playmakers" when they don't catch the ball.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Same issue goes for the last 2 years. I’m not sure if the WRs have a pre-game Crisco hand lather routine, or what...but it’s been bad for a while.
Yeah, there were games over the last two years that probably had the win/loss outcome altered by dropped passes. I just don't think this games final outcome in the W/L column was changed.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:40 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

There is obviously no way to know but a couple extra first downs early in the SDSU game may mean we go into halftime down by less than 24. Maybe then those 2 tds in the second half are getting us with 1 score or 2 instead of 3 or 4. Maybe the d has a little more legs under them and gets on one of those fumbles or is in a better position to make a tackle on one of their big plays. Not getting any momentum on offense early has such a snowball effect. Luckily the defense pulled us out of it in game 1 but were unable to do the same in game 2. All I know is that I'm tired of people whining about throwing and getting the ball to "our playmakers" when they don't catch the ball.
Yes, it's "hard to say for sure" or "obviously no way to know." I just kinda doubt MSU wins that game even without the drops.

toM StUber