Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by spring creek cat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Why should we name a starter?? Let’s put both of them out there, hell put three out there!!! Let the defense try to decide who is the QB! Lol

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am
Maybe this QB by committee will work (having T and T on the field at the same time). And if it does I bet Alabama copies us and does the same thing. They have 2 of the best dual threat QB's in the country. Maybe they should BOTH be on the field at the same time.
Don't forget the other dual threat, Natee

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm
gtapp wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am
Maybe this QB by committee will work (having T and T on the field at the same time). And if it does I bet Alabama copies us and does the same thing. They have 2 of the best dual threat QB's in the country. Maybe they should BOTH be on the field at the same time.
Don't forget the other dual threat, Natee
Perhaps some kind of round robin dual threat. :D six combinations, it looks like.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:34 pm

If we are working on developing the qb of the future wouldn’t it help if our best rb was playing rb to take the pressure off of the qb? Just saying it Anderson only going to get better at rb we need him in that position. I would be surprised to see him start gold rush against an OK team that could give one of the other guys valuable reps before conference play.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am

I don't get the whole "he is a great RB so why play him at QB" thought process. I'm sure Michael Vick would have made a great RB too, but if he is your best option at QB why not play him there if you have capable RB's? Whether you throw the ball 40 times a game or 10 times a game the QB position is the most important offensive position on the field.

So glad for the scrimmage on Saturday, at the very least we got a little clarity and some reassurance on a few players. Hell, according to some posters Rovig should have been cut after spring and Andersen hasn't thrown a ball since high school and even then it wasn't pretty. Both have shown very well the past few weeks and had a productive scrimmage. I had a family member skip our big family reunion to work the scrimmage (lucky bastard) and when I talked to him afterward I asked him about Andersen. He said he looks like the real deal under center and that he talked to some well-respected evaluators that said he had a better throwing motion coming out of high school than Prukop so he wasn't sure where the "poor throwing-motion/arm" reports were coming from. Now obviously Dakota developed into a pretty damn good passer but who says that TA can't as well? I would never bet against this kid in anything he does, he has the ability to put this team on his back and carry them, but the best part is that he doesn't have to with this defense and o-line, he will have plenty of help!

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am
I don't get the whole "he is a great RB so why play him at QB" thought process. I'm sure Michael Vick would have made a great RB too, but if he is your best option at QB why not play him there if you have capable RB's? Whether you throw the ball 40 times a game or 10 times a game the QB position is the most important offensive position on the field.
Well said!

There were many folks who were worried about the durability of Murray and him running so much with his slender frame. Well, that problem has been solved with an upgrade in the weight department by 30lbs. Oh and upgrade in the area that was most needed, passing accuracy. This sounds like a great move to me. Would he make a great stand alone running back, most likely. Would he make a great LB or safety, yes. If he has a shot at the next level, will it be at quarterback, probably not, but great athletes can be inserted where they are most needed and excel.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am

From the 'scrimmage reports' the 2 top QB’s going forward appear to be TA & TJ with TR a close 2nd. Even though TR is a close 2nd, I can see him NOT getting any meaningful snaps this year, because if either TA or TJ can’t play for whatever reason, the type of offense and play calling capabilities change substantially if TR came into the game because to bring in TR would require a significant game-plan change.

I can see where the coaching staff may be coming from….if they go with TA & TJ as 1a and 1b (or vice-versa), because of their similar athletic abilities, the game plan doesn’t change near as much if at all if either of them can't play for whatever reason, compared to if TR comes in.
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am

Team10 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am
RobertCats wrote:
Well said!
The question is also asked if TA is such a good passer why didn't they try him at QB last year? Pure speculation on my part but I bet part of the answer is Coach Cole. He wasn't here last year to recognize that talent. This along with the extra time of summer ball allowed for it. Makes perfect sense to me anyway.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am
From the 'scrimmage reports' the 2 top QB’s going forward appear to be TA & TJ with TR a close 2nd. Even though TR is a close 2nd, I can see him NOT getting any meaningful snaps this year, because if either TA or TJ can’t play for whatever reason, the type of offense and play calling capabilities change substantially if TR came into the game because to bring in TR would require a significant game-plan change.

I can see where the coaching staff may be coming from….if they go with TA & TJ as 1a and 1b (or vice-versa), because of their similar athletic abilities, the game plan doesn’t change near as much if at all if either of them can't play for whatever reason, compared to if TR comes in.
Does the game plan change that much if Rovig comes in though? Rovig may not be a dynamic of runner as TA or TJ, but he did rush for 360 yards in senior year with 10 TDs. Look at his HUDL again, he is a much faster runner than your average pocket passer. I assume Rovig has been practicing the same playback as TA and TJ, and it might be a part of why he is likely going to be the backup versus Bauman.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:56 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 am

Does the game plan change that much if Rovig comes in though? Rovig may not be a dynamic of runner as TA or TJ, but he did rush for 360 yards in senior year with 10 TDs. Look at his HUDL again, he is a much faster runner than your average pocket passer. I assume Rovig has been practicing the same playback as TA and TJ, and it might be a part of why he is likely going to be the backup versus Bauman.
I think it would....2 points;

• A QB running for 360 yards in High School and running for many yards in D1 are substantially different.
• Even if TR is a better than average runner for a ‘pocket passer’ type, he doesn’t have the running ability of TA, TJ or CM.

I don’t think if TR is in the game, a QB sweep left or right would be called nearly as often, if at all, compared to if TA or TJ were at QB. Nor do I think there would be very much Run-Pass Option (RPO) called with TR at the helm (compared to TA or TJ). Do I think if TR rolls right and all the coverages are man-to-man and they drop back and leave it open for TR to run will he run and pick up good yardage….yep. But IMHO I don’t see Coach Armstrong calling very many QB runs with TR at the helm unless it’s 3rd/4th and inches.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Jake Bleskin wasn't an outstanding runner eather, but they didn't have to change the play book a tone for him. He was a great back-up. I think that TR will be a very capable back-up (or starter for that matter) if we need him. All I have to say is if we end up with a top level quarterback, coach Cole will deserve a lot of credit and will be able to move just about anywhere he wants to. I still can't believe that he is coaching here.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

RobertCats wrote:

So glad for the scrimmage on Saturday, at the very least we got a little clarity and some reassurance on a few players. Hell, according to some posters Rovig should have been cut after spring and Andersen hasn't thrown a ball since high school and even then it wasn't pretty. Both have shown very well the past few weeks and had a productive scrimmage. I had a family member skip our big family reunion to work the scrimmage (lucky bastard) and when I talked to him afterward I asked him about Andersen. He said he looks like the real deal under center and that he talked to some well-respected evaluators that said he had a better throwing motion coming out of high school than Prukop so he wasn't sure where the "poor throwing-motion/arm" reports were coming from. Now obviously Dakota developed into a pretty damn good passer but who says that TA can't as well? I would never bet against this kid in anything he does, he has the ability to put this team on his back and carry them, but the best part is that he doesn't have to with this defense and o-line, he will have plenty of help!
The thing I saw with Troy , was he had a formidable physical presence back there. I think about the components of execution
and believe confidence, is a big component ,which is what Troy seemed to bring out in the Offense , especially in the
up tempo. Best pass I saw ,was back shoulder to a tight end , who was covered , he spun him around open where only he
could catch the pass, it was a hell of a pass and catch. I think it will be hard for the Coach's not to play Troy back there. He
has a lot more than enough QB tools . Troy for the most part looked like a QB back there not a coverted RB or LB . Where
Chris was elusive Troy will punish.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I think all the QBs can pass , so that will open the base offense up enough,to accommodate most
Game plans, depending on who is in at QB may feature different parts of the Offense . We’ve been
Choked down with what we could do Offensively the last couple years .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:26 pm

What I like is the effect Andersen will have on the run game. He’s adequate passing and running, whereas Murray was only adequate (very) running. When you have to account for the QB running AND passing it’s really going to spring the backs.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Some say Yards Per Attempt (YPA) is the most important QB stat. Not sure if that is true or not but this is how our QB's did in last Saturday's scrimmage.
TA 4.3
TJ 2.5
TR 6.4
CB 3.2
RB 2.5
It looks like Rovig had a nice day.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Some say Yards Per Attempt (YPA) is the most important QB stat. Not sure if that is true or not but this is how our QB's did in last Saturday's scrimmage.
TA 4.3
TJ 2.5
TR 6.4
CB 3.2
RB 2.5
YPA is a measure of efficiency. In advanced stats, I think that's the most important indicator (efficiency, not necessarily YPA), as it has the highest degree of correlation to winning. After efficiency, you have explosiveness. The next two (if memory serves me, it's been awhile since I've looked) are finishing drives, and lastly, turnovers.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm
TA 4.3
TJ 2.5
TR 6.4
CB 3.2
RB 2.5
Those aren't good for TA and TJ, but they're from a very small sample size. I think 4 and 6 passes respectively? I dont think we can tell much from those.
Rovig threw 13 passes so thats a better sample size.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I saw all the QB's throw this morning together for the first time. Just my observations......
Anderson, Rovig and Bauman have pretty good releases and good velocity. They throw like pro QBs.
Jonsen, however starts from his hip instead of his ear and windmills his throw. The ball comes out ok, but I question his ability to throw quick outs and into tight windows without the ball taking off on him. I believe his throws during live games will tend to go high. Just my thoughts.

Beltran throws pretty good but he is smaller, not quite as strong, and a different kind of QB. than the others.

2024 Resume dominance