Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 pm
For me, also, and i'm willing to let it play out before passing any judgment, butif you've got 4 qbs on the team that you've recruited, and none can beat out the starting running back, perhaps some evaluation of the qb recruiting is in order.If nothing else, should be interesting, because i think the defense and oline is ready to take a big step forward.
I feel like we’re seeing this general sentiment more and more here in the last week. In my opinion it’s really jumping to conclusions a bit early.

I sound like a broken record saying this, but 2 of the 5 QB’s are true freshman and 1 is a RS freshman. They are young, it is not the norm to expect a kid to come in and just be the answer right away. If Andersen wins the job for some of this year or all of this year, I think it’s far too early to say the coaching staff can’t recruit a QB. (I think it says more about Andersen being able to do just about anything that’s put in front of him, he’s a special talent)

I fully believe that either Bauman or Rovig are the future at QB (my money is on Bauman). But maybe THAT future doesn’t start this year, maybe they need another year to develop, they’re not behind schedule if that is the case.
And from what we’re hearing, I think the team is in good hands with Andersen, and probably Jonsen too, as the starter this year. They’re both smart players that will put the team in the position to win games. They probably won’t be putting up Case Cookus type passing numbers, but they won’t be Murray type numbers either.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
For me, also, and i'm willing to let it play out before passing any judgment, butif you've got 4 qbs on the team that you've recruited, and none can beat out the starting running back, perhaps some evaluation of the qb recruiting is in order.If nothing else, should be interesting, because i think the defense and oline is ready to take a big step forward.
I feel like we’re seeing this general sentiment more and more here in the last week. In my opinion it’s really jumping to conclusions a bit early.

I sound like a broken record saying this, but 2 of the 5 QB’s are true freshman and 1 is a RS freshman. They are young, it is not the norm to expect a kid to come in and just be the answer right away. If Andersen wins the job for some of this year or all of this year, I think it’s far too early to say the coaching staff can’t recruit a QB. (I think it says more about Andersen being able to do just about anything that’s put in front of him, he’s a special talent)

I fully believe that either Bauman or Rovig are the future at QB (my money is on Bauman). But maybe THAT future doesn’t start this year, maybe they need another year to develop, they’re not behind schedule if that is the case.
And from what we’re hearing, I think the team is in good hands with Andersen, and probably Jonsen too, as the starter this year. They’re both smart players that will put the team in the position to win games. They probably won’t be putting up Case Cookus type passing numbers, but they won’t be Murray type numbers either.
I like bauman a ton, you can picture him as Carson wentz in a couple years without trying too hard. And i'm not trying to be too critical of the staff, there was 0 qb depth when they got here. But it still nags me a little if, and it's too early to say yet, but if troy wins the job: Murray really couldn't throw a lick, never could with any consistency anyway, and the staff knew it. If Andersen is capable of FCS quarterback play, why wasn't he given a look in fall camp last year?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Both Alabama and Georgia did okay last year with freshmen.

Whoever gets the reps in practice next week will obviously be that individual the staff decides to go with and starts the first game. I was pretty certain one of the young kids would take over for Murray at halftime of the SDSU game and would become a four year starter. I still feel that kid is something special. I hope he lives up to what he's advertised as being and I for one look forward to watching him.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 pm

The leak and teebow deal was different. Leak was the guy teebow cane in for short yardage. I can see how that works, but it only worked because Leak was a good QB and they respected his throwing ability. If we platoon QBs to see who is better we are screwed. You find your guy, like Leak for example, then you can do other stuff out of wildcat or whatever they want to call it.

PS. Bruggman should have been pulled after the Idaho game and I would bet Choate would tell you that now. Bruggy was bad and I’m shocked he was even considered the starter that year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

I like bauman a ton, you can picture him as Carson wentz in a couple years without trying too hard. And i'm not trying to be too critical of the staff, there was 0 qb depth when they got here. But it still nags me a little if, and it's too early to say yet, but if troy wins the job: Murray really couldn't throw a lick, never could with any consistency anyway, and the staff knew it. If Andersen is capable of FCS quarterback play, why wasn't he given a look in fall camp last year?
Very good point and I think it speaks to how this year will not be good. Chris was our best guy last year, and he was our best guy this year. Call it pessimistic, but we are gonna struggle this year because of QB play. The only kicker will be if Bauman can come in and shock the system. I hope he does, but I’m not holding my breath.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Both Alabama and Georgia did okay last year with freshmen.

Whoever gets the reps in practice next week will obviously be that individual the staff decides to go with and starts the first game. I was pretty certain one of the young kids would take over for Murray at halftime of the SDSU game and would become a four year starter. I still feel that kid is something special. I hope he lives up to what he's advertised as being and I for one look forward to watching him.
Very true, there are always exceptions to the rule, of course. It’s also a little different at the FCS level. At the FBS level, especially the top programs you mentioned, there are 4 and 5 star recruits making up most of the roster, so these are very highly touted kids ready to come in, a good chunk of them having legitimate NFL aspirations. That is not the normal level of talent the FCS programs are dealing with.
So most kids that come into the FCS are going to need to develop before they’re ready to contribute. Maybe that’s a year in the program, maybe it’s 2 or 3.
If Bauman takes over and excels this year as a true freshman, awesome, good for him and good for the Bobcats. All I’m saying is that’s not the norm at this level for true freshman to do that and we shouldn’t expect it. And if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t reflect poorly on the coaching staff on their ability to recruit a QB.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Very good point and I think it speaks to how this year will not be good. Chris was our best guy last year, and he was our best guy this year. Call it pessimistic, but we are gonna struggle this year because of QB play. The only kicker will be if Bauman can come in and shock the system. I hope he does, but I’m not holding my breath.
Damn, that is pessimistic. :)
Chris was our best guy last year because I don’t think McChesney was ever going to be the answer (no offense to him) and Rovig was a true freshman, making Murray the guy by default.
And as far as this year, agree to disagree that Murray would have been the best guy. I think this competition would have been going on if Murray was with the team anyway and he wouldn’t necessarily be in the drivers seat.
As long as the qb this year can manage the game and complete a higher % of his passes, we’ll be fine. This offense isn’t built around needing a Gage Gabrud type guy.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am

I guess I'm a little confused about why people seem to assume Troy Andersen is a below average passer.
Because one person said so.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am
This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.
Do you know what is really sad? People like you who call themselves Bobcat fans.

This was one of the most self-defeating, pathetic posts I've read on this board in many months.

We have a QB alright. Believe you me, we have a QB.

We need to completely purge this kind of weak mentality out of our program. This is kind of garbage that contributed to the jizz dominating us for like 15 straight years back in the 90s & oughts, or whatever that streak was. Those days are no more...

Please reevaluate yourself & your affiliation to Bobcat Nation before ever posting garbage like this on this forum again.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Ok, couple things here after reading another pathetic post...

i. TA is a tremendous athlete. Perhaps the best overall athlete in the Big Sky this year.
ii. In TA's debut year as a freshamn, we already had an established QB in CM, who the staff was committed to developing. That is why TA was not put at QB last year. It is all about getting your best 11 on the field as much as possible, as Choate continually preaches.
iii. We struggled with QB play last year, make no mistake. The idea was to attempt to develop CM and for him to continually improve. One can argue either way whether that took place last year. I would argue that as a passer, CM did not develop at all last year.
iv. Since Choate took over we have been a heavy run-oriented offense, first & foremost. I believe we were a top 10 rushing offense in the FCS last year, which is a helluva statistic that Choate does not get enough praise for. When you say something like "The only kicker will be if Bauman can come in and shock the system ...", what does that even mean? Do you even know what you are saying?
v. To reorient our entire offensive schema to a pro-style 6'-6" who can "really spin the ball" will be a major structural change in our program. If this is the direction we go, the decision to do this will need to made in the next few days at the latest.
vi. TA will be our starting QB this year. In TA We Trust...

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:51 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

Ok, couple things here after reading another pathetic post...

i. TA is a tremendous athlete. Perhaps the best overall athlete in the Big Sky this year.
ii. In TA's debut year as a freshamn, we already had an established QB in CM, who the staff was committed to developing. That is why TA was not put at QB last year. It is all about getting your best 11 on the field as much as possible, as Choate continually preaches.
iii. We struggled with QB play last year, make no mistake. The idea was to attempt to develop CM and for him to continually improve. One can argue either way whether that took place last year. I would argue that as a passer, CM did not develop at all last year.
iv. Since Choate took over we have been a heavy run-oriented offense, first & foremost. I believe we were a top 10 rushing offense in the FCS last year, which is a helluva statistic that Choate does not get enough praise for. When you say something like "The only kicker will be if Bauman can come in and shock the system ...", what does that even mean? Do you even know what you are saying?
v. To reorient our entire offensive schema to a pro-style 6'-6" who can "really spin the ball" will be a major structural change in our program. If this is the direction we go, the decision to do this will need to made in the next few days at the latest.
vi. TA will be our starting QB this year. In TA We Trust...
Oh you're right, i forgot, we can't question anything on this board anymore. Starting RB, and the best rb on the team, at qb? Nothing to see here. I repeat, if Andersen was better than Murray, he would have been qb last year (your whole best 11 argument). Your best qb should and will play. I hope it works, I want badly to hang another banner especially with hauck back in the league. I don't think that happens if we're starting troy at qb. I don't think we run the ball as well in that situation. Again, sorry for not automatically toeing the party line, but that's not pathetic, it's called having a thought. An opinion on a message board!? Someone please bring the fainting couch...

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

I'm a bit more optimistic, i think qb play will be decent no matter who is the starter, but I think our team is stronger and better if we don't have to play troy there. Will be fascinating to watch.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 am

I just don’t know about Travis , I think Tucker and Casey are as advertised, going to be very capeable QB’s in time .
Tucker has flipped his switch this fall , so the competition at QB has been a good thing. Troy has more experience
At running the ball from the QB position than at running back . I think he will have similar yards as CM from running
the ball in open space . I’m going with what Colter has seen , all these guys spin the ball better than anyone in the
last two years. The FBS missed on Troy and I think a lot of people missed on Troy's QB ability, he is not the same athlete
He was two years ago. How many of us would have liked to go back to HS Football with the skills we had after a year or
two of College ball . No comparison for most of us . Things happen for a reason , and I think this is going to be a good
thing . At least Troy will be at a position, for the first time , that he has played in High School . We will all know more,
later today when the bullets are flyin, from what I believe is going to be one of the best defenses in the Big Sky. Great
Day to be a Cat , not everyone gets to.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 am
I just don’t know about Travis , I think Tucker and Casey are as advertised, going to be very capeable QB’s in time .
Tucker has flipped his switch this fall , so the competition at QB has been a good thing. Troy has more experience
At running the ball from the QB position than at running back . I think he will have similar yards as CM from running
the ball in open space . I’m going with what Colter has seen , all these guys spin the ball better than anyone in the
last two years. The FBS missed on Troy and I think a lot of people missed on Troy's QB ability, he is not the same athlete
He was two years ago. How many of us would have liked to go back to HS Football with the skills we had after a year or
two of College ball . No comparison for most of us . Things happen for a reason , and I think this is going to be a good
thing . At least Troy will be at a position, for the first time , that he has played in High School . We will all know more,
later today when the bullets are flyin, from what I believe is going to be one of the best defenses in the Big Sky. Great
Day to be a Cat , not everyone gets to.
Good points relative development and maturation. The games (few because they were only against Columbia Falls and one against Whitefish) I watched Troy in high school I had the same impression the coaches at MSU had in that I felt he was anything but a college quarterback. However, Paul Dennehy by all present day guages and measurable items, was anything but a college quarterback. In fact, several of the games in 76 the defense and special team play afforded the offense the opportunity to simply manage the clock, ball and maintain the lead on the scoreboard.

Anxious to see the pecking order Monday.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 am

When the news broke about CM not playing in 2018, my first thought was that we were probably going to take a step back at QB. However, after just a week of Fall ball I've completely flip flopped on that. After listening to camp reports coming from the media and coaches, I believe what they're saying. We'll be better at QB in 2018, perhaps significantly better. That's my declaration for the morning. After today's scrimmage - check back. I might change my mind!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 am

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 am
BobCatFan wrote:

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

Do you know what is really sad? People like you who call themselves Bobcat fans.

This was one of the most self-defeating, pathetic posts I've read on this board in many months.

We need to completely purge this kind of weak mentality out of our program. This is kind of garbage that contributed to the jizz dominating us for like 15 straight years back in the 90s & oughts, or whatever that streak was. Those days are no more...

Please reevaluate yourself & your affiliation to Bobcat Nation before ever posting garbage like this on this forum again.
Wow that is harsh and uncalled for. Just because a person has a different point of view does not mean they are any less committed to Bobcat excellence than you are.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm

imacat wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 am
BobCatFan wrote:

Wow that is harsh and uncalled for. Just because a person has a different point of view does not mean they are any less committed to Bobcat excellence than you are.
This board needs an individual similar in makeup to another sports board and is based upon the results of a bunch of kids. The poster has absolutely zero affiliation or relation to any of the kids and has an enormous sense of entitlement because he was a product of affirmative action and is by definition a legal thief, aka a lawyer. Anyone and everyone with a divergent point of view is either an idiot, stupid, or did not play the game. In fact, that poster did not attend either MSU or UM but that is beside the point.

Actually, I don't mind squabbling among posters but I really don't like to read posters singling out and critiquing the performance of the kids. Coaches? Go for it because they are professionals and ought to have a pretty thick skin.

So???? Will you two take it out to the parking lot?

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:00 pm
imacat wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 am
BobCatFan wrote:

This board needs an individual similar in makeup to another sports board and is based upon the results of a bunch of kids. The poster has absolutely zero affiliation or relation to any of the kids and has an enormous sense of entitlement because he was a product of affirmative action and is by definition a legal thief, aka a lawyer. Anyone and everyone with a divergent point of view is either an idiot, stupid, or did not play the game. In fact, that poster did not attend either MSU or UM but that is beside the point.

Actually, I don't mind squabbling among posters but I really don't like to read posters singling out and critiquing the performance of the kids. Coaches? Go for it because they are professionals and ought to have a pretty thick skin.

So???? Will you two take it out to the parking lot?
:thumbup:
The LAST thing we need on this board is someone like that. Good call, let’s not get into the personal attacks and petty bs. It’s a fan board, there are differing opinions, that’s what we’re here for is to discuss them and read about the team.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

This is my take on the situation as it happened. I have no inside information, it's just as I imagine what went on.

Troy is an athlete that comes along once in 25 years especially in the FCS. When he arrived the coaches had visions of an all conference linebacker with speed. After they got to recognize his ability to learn the nuances of playing college ball in a very short time they had visions of "imagine if we use him as a RB" Gregorak saw another Buck Buchanon recipient for his resume.

They knew they had recruited the kind of QB that they want to nurture at MSU, but because their offense at this time was predicated on a running QB, all they needed to be better was one who could read defenses quickly, and throw the ball to the right place. Naturally the first person they thought of was Troy. Since Chris was going to be gone, they saw a great chance to have a competition. Young guns with great arms and size to see the whole field, and a 4 star QB who impressed the recruiters out of high school with his ability to run an option offense and throw good enough to hope for a double threat. Jensen was never used as a triple option QB at Oregon. They wanted a passer who could add another dimension. Enter Prukop! Then Jonsen broke his foot. He goes to a JC and runs into a QB who is established and experienced. So he transfers to MSU to compete for a job that seems to be made for him. The problem is that our coaches want to upgrade our passing game and have recruited accordingly. Unfortunately none of the young guns, including Jonsen, have any experince with bullets flying. Enter Troy Anderson. The coaches looked at each other and said "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Gregorak says "don't even think it!" Choate says we have all these new receivers, all we need is someone who can pick out the right one to throw it to and have the leadership to carry the belief of the rest of the team that he will do it. Choate says "the time for the team is now" "we can't wait to develop a freshman, and a pro type offense...lets see what he can do"
They find that his decision making, leadership, and college experience may make him the best option for this year because he adds the dimension of a runner. Maybe not as electrifying as Chris, but one who can run away from lots of linebackers and DBs.

I think they feel that he can always play RB or LB, but he may be the best interim QB available and the upgrade they were looking for. I feel the other fresman QBs can always develop into what Choate wants to ultimately have at MSU, but Troy may be what he needs now.
There is no controversy at MSU.... its merely what weapon do we choose for now.

2024 Resume dominance

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm
This is my take on the situation as it happened. I have no inside information, it's just as I imagine what went on.

Troy is an athlete that comes along once in 25 years especially in the FCS. When he arrived the coaches had visions of an all conference linebacker with speed. After they got to recognize his ability to learn the nuances of playing college ball in a very short time they had visions of "imagine if we use him as a RB" Gregorak saw another Buck Buchanon recipient for his resume.

They knew they had recruited the kind of QB that they want to nurture at MSU, but because their offense at this time was predicated on a running QB, all they needed to be better was one who could read defenses quickly, and throw the ball to the right place. Naturally the first person they thought of was Troy. Since Chris was going to be gone, they saw a great chance to have a competition. Young guns with great arms and size to see the whole field, and a 4 star QB who impressed the recruiters out of high school with his ability to run an option offense and throw good enough to hope for a double threat. Jensen was never used as a triple option QB at Oregon. They wanted a passer who could add another dimension. Enter Prukop! Then Jonsen broke his foot. He goes to a JC and runs into a QB who is established and experienced. So he transfers to MSU to compete for a job that seems to be made for him. The problem is that our coaches want to upgrade our passing game and have recruited accordingly. Unfortunately none of the young guns, including Jonsen, have any experince with bullets flying. Enter Troy Anderson. The coaches looked at each other and said "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Gregorak says "don't even think it!" Choate says we have all these new receivers, all we need is someone who can pick out the right one to throw it to and have the leadership to carry the belief of the rest of the team that he will do it. Choate says "the time for the team is now" "we can't wait to develop a freshman, and a pro type offense...lets see what he can do"
They find that his decision making, leadership, and college experience may make him the best option for this year because he adds the dimension of a runner. Maybe not as electrifying as Chris, but one who can run away from lots of linebackers and DBs.

I think they feel that he can always play RB or LB, but he may be the best interim QB available and the upgrade they were looking for. I feel the other fresman QBs can always develop into what Choate wants to ultimately have at MSU, but Troy may be what he needs now.
Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Excellent thoughts. EXCEPT for one small detail and that being it was Ty who told the offensive people they ought to utilize some of Troy's talents. And then, last year is history.

What time is practice Monday...