Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by iaafan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 am

That’s the GOAT of gif responses!! Well played RC!!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am
BobCatFan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am
This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.
Back off the ledge Sally.
Geez, no kidding.

We’re one week into fall camp, let’s let it play out a little.
And if in the end it’s not Rovig or Bauman, that doesn’t mean they’re busts. They’re a RS freshman and a true freshman, give them a year or two to develop.

I’d put money on that Bauman is most likely the future at QB, but that just might not start this year.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am
If TA is the leader that people say is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.
Totally with you on this one LTC. If TA actually starts in Gold Rush and wins against a super tough opponent, no way they change that up heading into SDSU. Then if we could go into SDSU and beat the #4 team in the nation in their house, no way in hell anybody even suggests changing that up injuries aside.

Edit this, I suppose it's possible in that scenario above the coaches could possible spring a surprise element heading into SDSU but I doubt it.
I guess I'm a little confused about why people seem to assume Troy Andersen is a below average passer. He throws a better ball with way more zip than any of the quarterbacks Montana State had on its roster the last two years...

The QBs now look so much better when you watch them simply warm up. Andersen, Bauman, Rovig when he's in his groove, Beltran all throw better balls than Chris Murray, Brady McChesney, Ben Folsom, Kamden Brown. And although Travis Jonsen has sort of a funky release, he throws the ball with more zip than Murray as well.
:rofl:

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am
BobCatFan wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am
This all seems to be sad news. We have 3 or 4 players but we don’t have a Qb.

I did not like the hire of our coach. He was not a coach the believed in pass first game but 3 of his qb’s are that type of qb. Troy seems to fit his style. If he is the winner most of you are saying, I will be 100% behind him. Being a leader/winner usually over comes a big arm.

You know what they say, if you have a Qb by committee, you don’t have a Qb.

Good luck to young man that wins this job.
Back off the ledge Sally.
Geez, no kidding.

We’re one week into fall camp, let’s let it play out a little.
And if in the end it’s not Rovig or Bauman, that doesn’t mean they’re busts. They’re a RS freshman and a true freshman, give them a year or two to develop.

I’d put money on that Bauman is most likely the future at QB, but that just might not start this year.
We were really fortunate to get Bauman. Coach Coles said he is schocked that a Pac 12 school didnt get him.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am
Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am
Here's my first take on the subject, and this is obviously before the first scrimmage. Andersen will start our first game at QB. He will be able to handle the pressure of Gold Rush and manage the game effectively. At some point in the season, maybe Wagner or maybe more like mid season, Bauman or Rovig will be named the starter. We are a better football team with Andersen at RB and the better of Bauman or Rovig at QB. We won't want to rush those guys into action until they are ready, and Andersen will do a good job until then. All season long Andersen will still get reps at QB in an "enhanced Wildcat", but will be listed as our starting RB on paper.

Jonsen will be WR, and gives us a legitimate deep threat. Glad he's a Bobcat.
This is pretty much Colter's take here -
Good listen.

I always like to hear my thoughts confirmed by Colter. ;) I jest, I jest. Can’t get too cocky.

Andersen starts the year and Bauman finishes it. I’m gonna stand by that. Really nice to hear that Andersen is good in the short to intermediate game. I think him and Jordan Lynch have a lot of similarities for Bob Cole to play around with.

Enjoyed listening to how the Griz are doing. It’s too bad they have a mobile QB, because our DL is going to wear them out. We’ll be able to rotate Sterk/Sparaco, Wright/Yates/Benson/Williams/(guy I’m missing), Fa’anono/Marks/Ferriter and have limited reduction in talent when rotating. OL’s won’t be able to keep up with those fresh legs. That’s exciting. Plus the occasional blitz from Hadley and Kanow. We should get a lot of turnovers. I like the idea of Alleyne being able to play deep cover 1...that opens up a lot of defensive possibilities.

We’ll have a top defense in the BSC, if not the entire FCS. All we need is an efficient turnover free offense.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:03 am
Darth Yoda wrote:
Here's my first take on the subject, and this is obviously before the first scrimmage. Andersen will start our first game at QB. He will be able to handle the pressure of Gold Rush and manage the game effectively. At some point in the season, maybe Wagner or maybe more like mid season, Bauman or Rovig will be named the starter. We are a better football team with Andersen at RB and the better of Bauman or Rovig at QB. We won't want to rush those guys into action until they are ready, and Andersen will do a good job until then. All season long Andersen will still get reps at QB in an "enhanced Wildcat", but will be listed as our starting RB on paper.

This is pretty much Colter's take here -
Good listen.

I always like to hear my thoughts confirmed by Colter. ;) I jest, I jest. Can’t get too cocky.

Andersen starts the year and Bauman finishes it. I’m gonna stand by that. Really nice to hear that Andersen is good in the short to intermediate game. I think him and Jordan Lynch have a lot of similarities for Bob Cole to play around with.

Enjoyed listening to how the Griz are doing. It’s too bad they have a mobile QB, because our DL is going to wear them out. We’ll be able to rotate Sterk/Sparaco, Wright/Yates/Benson/Williams/(guy I’m missing), Fa’anono/Marks/Ferriter and have limited reduction in talent when rotating. OL’s won’t be able to keep up with those fresh legs. That’s exciting. Plus the occasional blitz from Hadley and Kanow. We should get a lot of turnovers. I like the idea of Alleyne being able to play deep cover 1...that opens up a lot of defensive possibilities.

We’ll have a top defense in the BSC, if not the entire FCS. All we need is an efficient turnover free offense.
So after I made my post, I listened to Colter's take. If I read between the lines i think he's saying TA starts but doesn't win both or perhaps either of the first two games? Because I'd stand by my opinion that if he starts and we win Gold Rush, then go into SDSU and beat them at home I'd think the starting QB job is his for the season unless he regresses. Put another way, If TA starts and wins the first two games and then we replace him with a different QB at some point in the season, that would obviously mean we have a QB significantly better than TA, TA gets moved back to RB (But would still be backup QB I assume), and all in all that means that the 2018 Bobcats are damn good and probably National Championship contenders. =D^

I might be over thinking this but damn can the season start already....... :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:45 pm

bobcat99 - your mention of the dline reminds me: what going on with Yates 2.0? I was thinking he was going to make an impact his year.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm

technoCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:45 pm
bobcat99 - your mention of the dline reminds me: what going on with Yates 2.0? I was thinking he was going to make an impact his year.
He's only a redshirt freshman and needs to get stronger. I remember when the norm for kids to start to contribute was their 3rd year in the program (usually redshirt sophomore season). Now the expectation is their redshirt freshman season...which is usually too soon for most kids on the defensive line. Travis is working hard. Him and Kyle Rygg are battling with Seer Deines and James Williams (two true freshman ahead-of-schedule physically) for playing time.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:

Mostly agree. If you listen to Choate over the past couple years, a couple things a constant.

1) Bobcats DNA are a run first team. "If you can run the ball, you can do anything."

2) "I want the best atheletes on the field at all times."

IMO:

T. Andersen/T. Jonsen will both take snaps, T. Jonsen lines up at WR occasionally, and essentially a whole lot of wildcat confusion of running, pitching, passing going on to keep defenses guessing. I believe Andersen will be listed as QB and remain there for the year (unless injury).

C. Bauman is future of Bobcat QB's

2019...🏆

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

technoCat wrote:

He’s a freaking redshirt freshman.

Ideally, unless they’re a special player, guys aren’t starting until their redshirt junior year.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm
technoCat wrote:
He's only a redshirt freshman and needs to get stronger.I remember when the norm for kids to start to contribute was their 3rd year in the program (usually redshirt sophomore season). Now the expectation is their redshirt freshman season...which is usually too soon for most kids on the defensive line. Travis is working hard. Him and Kyle Rygg are battling with Seer Deines and James Williams (two true freshman ahead-of-schedule physically) for playing time.
Amen. I think we’ve been a little spoiled with some kids coming in and doing very well right away, and it looks like a few kids will be doing that this year too. (Not a bad thing at all)

But just because a kid isn’t starting or on the two deep in their first or second year doesn’t mean they’re not going to contribute. As Choate continues to build this team and this depth, ideally we’ll be seeing less and less true freshman and RS freshman playing significant time as the years go by.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am
If TA is the leader that people say he is I like the Troy Anderson Tim Tebow comparison. Maybe not a great passer but a great leader. In my opinion if Troy Anderson starts the first game as quarterback he starts the last game as quarterback unless he is hurt.
Totally with you on this one LTC. If TA actually starts in Gold Rush and wins against a super tough opponent, no way they change that up heading into SDSU. Then if we could go into SDSU and beat the #4 team in the nation in their house, no way in hell anybody even suggests changing that up injuries aside.

Edit this, I suppose it's possible in that scenario above the coaches could possible spring a surprise element heading into SDSU but I doubt it.
I guess I'm a little confused about why people seem to assume Troy Andersen is a below average passer. He throws a better ball with way more zip than most of the quarterbacks Montana State had on its roster the last two years...

The QBs now look much better when you watch them simply warm up. Andersen, Bauman, Rovig when he's in his groove, Beltran all throw better balls than Chris Murray, Brady McChesney, Ben Folsom, Kamden Brown. And although Travis Jonsen has sort of a funky release, he throws the ball with more zip than Murray as well.
I assumed that Andersen was a below average passer because that’s what I had been reading here. I don’t believe I have ever personally seen him throw a football. If he is a good passer then I think that’s outstanding and makes it more likely that he is our starting quarterback all season unless, for some reason, he underwhelms the first few games that he plays.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Alright, here's my harvest time 103 degree fever dream version of how this plays out. Troy is on the field for 25-30 snaps as qb. Those snaps, jonsen lines up at wr. The remainder of offensive snaps he's available, he lines up at rb, with one of the kids at qb (or jonsen, the dream gets a little hazy here). Somewhat similar to the tim tebow Chris leak rotation, at our level of course. This would take some pressure off rovig/bauman as they develop early, and would allow the transition to one of them as the full time starter later, if desired. It allows for the hot hand approach as well, and as someone else mentioned, bob Cole has experience with Jordan lynch, who i think Andersen could resemble very closely in his play. The more i think about it, knowing our staff is willing to tinker, and with all these qbs here, i don't see a scenario where at least a couple of them, including troy, don't play every game.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Teams that play two or more QBs every game are not good teams. QB is all about reps and rhythm, if you are constantly rotating, the best QB won’t emerge. I hope to god it’s just one QB, if that QB struggles then pull him but don’t rotate just to rotate, that never works.

If your left, you aren’t right.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Teams that play two or more QBs every game are not good teams. QB is all about reps and rhythm, if you are constantly rotating, the best QB won’t emerge. I hope to god it’s just one QB, if that QB struggles then pull him but don’t rotate just to rotate, that never works.

Agree

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 pm

I'd tend to agree, I've never been a fan either, but i think it could be headed that way. My from-afar reading of the tea leaves is that troy is headed toward being the qb. I don't think we're very talented at rb really if you take him out of that rotation. Playing him at qb a few series a game could give a little of the best of both worlds. And maybe i'm wrong about our rbs, but i think i'm not. For me, also, and i'm willing to let it play out before passing any judgment, but if you've got 4 qbs on the team that you've recruited, and none can beat out the starting running back, perhaps some evaluation of the qb recruiting is in order. If nothing else, should be interesting, because i think the defense and oline is ready to take a big step forward.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 pm
I'd tend to agree, I've never been a fan either, but i think it could be headed that way. My from-afar reading of the tea leaves is that troy is headed toward being the qb. I don't think we're very talented at rb really if you take him out of that rotation. Playing him at qb a few series a game could give a little of the best of both worlds. And maybe i'm wrong about our rbs, but i think i'm not. For me, also, and i'm willing to let it play out before passing any judgment, but if you've got 4 qbs on the team that you've recruited, and none can beat out the starting running back, perhaps some evaluation of the qb recruiting is in order. If nothing else, should be interesting, because i think the defense and oline is ready to take a big step forward.
I think that is a fair way to analyze the situation and I share your concern. I also remember when Bruggman was recruited the staff thought he was the answer thru Spring ball, Fall ball, and about 5 games into the season until they pulled the plug on him.

However I'm a little more optimistic in this case because back in Choate's first year there were only 2 QB's competing for the job (albeit one of them was Choate's prize recruit) and this year we have 4+, 2 of which are very athletic and 2 of which are better passers than the CATS have fielded in quite some time, AND, we have Coach Cole now. Combine that with a lights out defense and I am cautiously optimistic.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 pm
I think that is a fair way to analyze the situation and I share your concern. I also remember when Bruggman was recruited the staff thought he was the answer thru Spring ball, Fall ball, and about 5 games into the season until they pulled the plug on him.

However I'm a little more optimistic in this case because back in Choate's first year there were only 2 QB's competing for the job (albeit one of them was Choate's prize recruit) and this year we have 4+, 2 of which are very athletic and 2 of which are better passers than the CATS have fielded in quite some time, AND, we have Coach Cole now. Combine that with a lights out defense and I am cautiously optimistic.
I'm with you, i wouldn't say i'm pessimistic at this point either, and wouldn't necessarily be if troy wins the job. I think our team could be fine in that case. I just feel we could be really good with him at rb, and i think we're weaker if he's not there. I'd love to see troy be the guy, and somebody step into the feature back role, but it would give me pause if no other qb can even battle him to a draw (in which case he likely goes to rb). But i'm excited also to see it play out, starting tomorrow.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Alright, here's my harvest time 103 degree fever dream version of how this plays out. Troy is on the field for 25-30 snaps as qb. Those snaps, jonsen lines up at wr. The remainder of offensive snaps he's available, he lines up at rb, with one of the kids at qb (or jonsen, the dream gets a little hazy here). Somewhat similar to the tim tebow Chris leak rotation, at our level of course. This would take some pressure off rovig/bauman as they develop early, and would allow the transition to one of them as the full time starter later, if desired. It allows for the hot hand approach as well, and as someone else mentioned, bob Cole has experience with Jordan lynch, who i think Andersen could resemble very closely in his play. The more i think about it, knowing our staff is willing to tinker, and with all these qbs here, i don't see a scenario where at least a couple of them, including troy, don't play every game.
Kind of interesting thoughts. Because I still follow the SEC closer than any other conference, I think of Spurrier in 97, Alabama in 99, Miss St in 99, Arkansas in 2006 when Malzahn was there, Tebow and Leak in 2006, LSU in 07 and 11, Spurrier again in 11, McElwaine at FL in 15 & 16 (Choate worked with him) for teams that exceeded expectations using a platoon system.

Nebraska in 70 won a title with a platoon system. 1994 NE used a platoon system. I think to this day if TN would have used a platoon system Manning's senior year, they would have won the title in 98 too.

I'm waiting to see what Saban does this year.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Kind of interesting thoughts. Because I still follow the SEC closer than any other conference, I think of Spurrier in 97, Alabama in 99, Miss St in 99, Arkansas in 2006 when Malzahn was there, Tebow and Leak in 2006, LSU in 07 and 11, Spurrier again in 11, McElwaine at FL in 15 & 16 (Choate worked with him) for teams that exceeded expectations using a platoon system.

Nebraska in 70 won a title with a platoon system. 1994 NE used a platoon system. I think to this day if TN would have used a platoon system Manning's senior year, they would have won the title in 98 too.

I'm waiting to see what Saban does this year.
Interesting examples, given that the SEC is so highly regarded nationally. Ohio state did it too iirc, with Jones barrett and Miller, the year after the latter 2 were hurt. This staff has proven willing to try the unconventional if needed, and all i'm trying to say is don't be surprised if some sort of rotation is tried at least early.