Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

waCat33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Who wins the QB battle?

Post by waCat33 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am

Thoughts on who will be the Cats new starting QB? Who replaces Chris Murray? I like what I hear about Casey Bauman......

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am

It’s really anybody’s guess at this point.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:55 am

Yes. Coach Choate doesn't even know.

waCat33
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by waCat33 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am

When do fall practices start? Anybody going?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 am

waCat33 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am
When do fall practices start? Anybody going?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46274

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:21 am

Jonsen will most likely win. If Rovig or Bauman had another year under their belts I would lean towards them but Jonsen is probably in the best position at this point.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

2019...🏆

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:51 am

Jonsen or Andersen

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 am

I hope it's Jonsen so he and Andersen are in the backfield together..... But it's hard to bet against Troy with how the coaches talk about him picking things up so quickly.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:18 am

What would I like to see happen?

I would like to see Tucker Rovig and Travis Jonsen play so well that Troy is moved to the backfield where he belongs.

What do I think will happen?

Troy has improved as a passer since being told he should be ready to compete at QB and his ability to lead beats out both Rovig and Jonsen.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:18 am

I would like to see Tucker Rovig and Travis Jonsen play so well that Troy is moved to the backfield where he belongs.

Troy has improved as a passer since being told he should be ready to compete at QB and his ability to lead beats out both Rovig and Jonsen.
Yikes. What would it say about Choate's QB recruiting if Troy Andersen wins the job?
I'm also hoping it's any of the other guys besides Andersen. Let him play RB or LB.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 am

I'd love to hear the players thoughts on the QB's after the summer player practices. I'm sure Choate has heard or will hear their reactions.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 am
VimSince03 wrote:

Yikes. What would it say about Choate's QB recruiting if Troy Andersen wins the job?
I'm also hoping it's any of the other guys besides Andersen.
[/quote

I don't think it says anything one way or another about Choate's QB recruiting, but says a load about the quality of Atheletes he has recruited. QBs: Murray academics, Rovig hand injury, Jonsen foot injury, and a couple freshman that would be better served(in most circumstances) given a year or two to learn the offense and build team trust and confidence. By no means am I saying at this point Troy Andersen is the best "option", I'm saying he IS the man for the job.

2019...🏆

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:03 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 am
VimSince03 wrote:

I'm also hoping it's any of the other guys besides Andersen. Let him play RB or LB.
It says he recruits diversified athletes who can perform at a high level where ever they are needed and are team players.

I am sliding all my chips to the center of the table and betting on Troy Andersen. The kid is a winner!

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

This x1000.
I have full faith that Troy Andersen would make a solid QB and maybe even be pretty good. I think the Bobcat football team will be better off and more dynamic if one of the other guys steps up and is a better QB than Troy, freeing him up to be the multi use weapon he is and to be on the field at the same time as the QB, leaving defenses more to account for.

So if Troy wins the job, we’ll be fine and good for him. But I hope he doesn’t, meaning someone else is pretty darn good too and this offense takes the next step this year with as many weapons on the field at one time as possible.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Jonsen should win. If TA is the starting QB come Western Illinois, then the Cats and Choate are having problems. To think that this can happen with success is almost ridiculous. Unless, they run the option attack, that move will fail. The only way this would work is if the offense went Navy-style option. If it worked having Troy as a throwing QB then I look an immense fool! I have not ruled out Troy being QB but it would only work if the offense was completely overhauled! Jonsen should be the guy come 08/30!

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:56 pm
Jonsen should win. If TA is the starting QB come Western Illinois, then the Cats and Choate are having problems. To think that this can happen with success is almost ridiculous. Unless, they run the option attack, that move will fail. The only way this would work is if the offense went Navy-style option. If it worked having Troy as a throwing QB then I look an immense fool! I have not ruled out Troy being QB but it would only work if the offense was completely overhauled! Jonsen should be the guy come 08/30!
Troy being the starter may not be ideal, but ridiculous?
This offense is not built around needing a gun slinger qb. If Troy has progressed in the passing game over the summer, which I’m sure he has to some level, I just don’t see him being worse than Murray was. Not going to start knocking Murray here, but his lack of a consistent passing game has been well documented.

We agree that Jonsen should and hopefully will win the job, I just don’t agree that the offense would need a complete overhaul to have Andersen at qb.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Vim you are correct , and if it’s a true QB competition and somebody beats Troy out we are in good shape , and if they
Don’t we are still in good shape . I saw Troy throw across field from opponents 30 and hit a receiver at the goal line and
that was in High School . So if he has improved this Summer he will be fine , and capable of running any Offense we need
Or what a defense gives us. I sincerely believe people will be as impressed with Troy at QB as they we’re with him at RB
or LB if he is called upon to QB .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Vim you are correct , and if it’s a true QB competition and somebody beats Troy out we are in good shape , and if they
Don’t we are still in good shape . I saw Troy throw across field from opponents 30 and hit a receiver at the goal line and
that was in High School . So if he has improved this Summer he will be fine , and capable of running any Offense we need
Or what a defense gives us. I sincerely believe people will be as impressed with Troy at QB as they we’re with him at RB
After watching Troy in high school a few times, he would need to greatly improve his arm strength and delivery to be a middle of a pack QB in the big sky. The kid is a freak athlete but if he is the QB come day one, I’m really concerned about the year. You have to be able to throw in the big sky. Just look at us the last two years, we arguably had the best athlete in the big sky playing QB and we didn’t even sniff the playoffs. You need a thrower to be able to compete for championships and the playoffs. Having said that if Troy has improved greatly with his arm strength and motion and beats out the other guys then I could see a scenario where we will be in the thick of it. If he was to be the QB with minimal improvement from high school we are screwed.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:25 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

After watching Troy in high school a few times, he would need to greatly improve his arm strength and delivery to be a middle of a pack QB in the big sky. The kid is a freak athlete but if he is the QB come day one, I’m really concerned about the year. You have to be able to throw in the big sky. Just look at us the last two years, we arguably had the best athlete in the big sky playing QB and we didn’t even sniff the playoffs. You need a thrower to be able to compete for championships and the playoffs. Having said that if Troy has improved greatly with his arm strength and motion and beats out the other guys then I could see a scenario where we will be in the thick of it. If he was to be the QB with minimal improvement from high school we are screwed.
If is half of life my good Bobcat friend , we will know more in a month . Looking forward to catching a few practices the next
few weeks , to see how all our QB’s are spinning the Ball . I’m still confident in my Opinion Troy will rise to the occasion if called upon.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play