Next QB: who ya got?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

2018 Starting Quarterback

Poll ended at Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

Travis Jonsen
64%
Casey Bauman
16%
Troy Anderson
13%
Tucker Rovig
3%
Ruben Beltran
3%
Other
1%

Total votes: 88

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Next QB: who ya got?

Post by superbobcat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 pm

I think Troy is very much in the running. In fact I will predict he is now in the number one spot. He fits the Choate philosophy. He is smart, hard worker, super talented, and most of all he wins. People doubted Dave Dickeson and look how that turned out. It would be a great MT victory if Troy could guide us through the next few years because it is going to be fun!
Last edited by superbobcat on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 pm

:-k :shrug:

I voted Beltran. Liked his quotes when he signed. May the best man win.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 pm

It's interesting that Natee's name isn't on this list. He is the only guy on the roster with true Div 1 game experience as a quarterback. I still think it will be Jonsen in the end though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 pm
It's interesting that Natee's name isn't on this list. He is the only guy on the roster with true Div 1 game experience as a quarterback. I still think it will be Jonsen in the end though.
He never played QB in college.

He played the wildcat, but that’s not a QB.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Yeah, I get it, but he lined up as a QB and ran the ball. He even threw the ball at least once.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Yeah, I get it, but he lined up as a QB and ran the ball. He even threw the ball at least once.
Kevin Kassis threw the ball once too. He also never played QB in college.

Natee has no D1 experience at QB. Fact.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:59 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 am
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Okay, you got me. Lining up in the quarterback position as a running back, reading the defense, calling the snap cadence, handing off the ball, running it yourself or passing the ball is not experience at all for Natee in the quarterback position because it’s technically called a wildcat formation.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 am

I think there’s 12-13 players on the roster that played HS QB. Obviously not all of them will be trying out for the spot. Natee only threw 74 passes in his HS career, so I don’t expect the coaches to look at him for the spot.

The two most serious candidates are Jonsen and Rovig. Andersen is next. Then the two true freshmen. Based on that, and despite Choate saying he was planning for this, I wouldn’t be surprised if an experienced JC or drop down transfer comes in. I kinda hope so as there’s a whole lot of unknown there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:59 am
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Okay, you got me. Lining up in the quarterback position as a running back, reading the defense, calling the snap cadence, handing off the ball, running it yourself or passing the ball is not experience at all for Natee in the quarterback position because it’s technically called a wildcat formation.

Well, you’re wrong again.

Natee, in 10 games played, passed the ball once. Ran the ball 61 times. He’s not a QB.

Taking a snap or calling out the cadence is something anybody can do. Our punter does that too. Is he a QB?

Natee did not read the defense like a QB does. He read one player. One. Player. Edge player goes in, Natee keeps and goes out. Edge keeps contain, Natee hands off. It’s incredibly simple. If Natee is running inside rather than out, you just flip the read.

Saying that doing that made him a QB is crazy. Nobody called Ronnie Brown a QB when he did it for the Dolphins.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Technically one could say he has more D1 experiencr at that position than any other candidate, as none of the others have taken a D1 snap in a game yet.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Natee, in 10 games played, passed the ball once. Ran the ball 61 times. He’s not a QB.

Taking a snap or calling out the cadence is something anybody can do. Our punter does that too. Is he a QB?

Natee did not read the defense like a QB does. He read one player. One. Player. Edge player goes in, Natee keeps and goes out. Edge keeps contain, Natee hands off. It’s incredibly simple. If Natee is running inside rather than out, you just flip the read.

Saying that doing that made him a QB is crazy. Nobody called Ronnie Brown a QB when he did it for the Dolphins.
I think I know where 99 is going with all this! He (or she) feels Mike Lude, Tubby Raymond or Joe Glenn did not use a QB in the formation we affectionately refer to as the wing-t! Or Chris Ault really did not utilize a QB when he moved the player receiving a snap from another player (what should we "technically" refer to that player because he's "technically" not under center?) out from under "center" and ran the same plays as the wing-t but called it the pistol because it required a direct snap?

I guess that means Barry Switzer never "technically" had a QB (nor did Woody Hayes for that matter because we all know what Woody thought of a forward pass)--when Barry was at Oklahoma running what we called the wishbone!!!!

Interesting observations young man...Gosh!!!! I just had a thought! That means, technically, Jim Sweeney and the Houston Veer used Dennis as--well--what?

I think I get where you're going with this "technical" delineating arguement? That offense that is so offensive for me to watch being utilized in Pullman, Washington is the only true measure of a quarterback because a forward pass (even in the dip and dunk behind the scrimmage completions) is the only measure of a "quarterback!" Wow!

So you state, by the powers of deductive reasoning, the player must throw a forward pass in order to be classified as a "quarterback."

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 am

I think all these qb’s are talented. Troy Anderson is a last resort at qb but a good option.

I think who ever shows the ability to read coverages and make the correct throws on time will win the competition. I think that is where Rovig struggled in the spring.

If the competition vs Prukop was as close as every says it was then Jonsen should win it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:22 am

bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Okay, I hereby withdraw my suggestion of putting Natee on this completely irrelevant listing of who the fans believe will make a good QB to start the season. I bow down to 99s superior intellect and knowledge. I should have never suggested the only guy (not a QB) on the roster who had experience receiving the ball from the center and deciding whether to run, pass, of hand off the ball in a Div 1 game had any more experience than the actual QBs on the roster who have never take a snap in a Div 1 game. I beg for forgiveness from all of Bobcat Nation. I'm changing my vote to "other" since that person is obviously qualified more than Natee would be.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:46 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:22 am
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Okay, I hereby withdraw my suggestion of putting Natee on this completely irrelevant listing of who the fans believe will make a good QB to start the season. I bow down to 99s superior intellect and knowledge. I should have never suggested the only guy (not a QB) on the roster who had experience receiving the ball from the center and deciding whether to run, pass, of hand off the ball in a Div 1 game had any more experience than the actual QBs on the roster who have never take a snap in a Div 1 game. I beg for forgiveness from all of Bobcat Nation. I'm changing my vote to "other" since that person is obviously qualified more than Natee would be.
Thank you! 99 is a football historian extraordinaire and has subsequently let us know that offense Johnson runs so effectively at Georgia Tech (and Bohannon at Kennesaw State along with that individual who is a billionaire who took a team from Charleston, SC into Missoula in sub-zero temperatures and won a playoff game) did not use a QB.

Those teams feel if they have to throw a pass it's a desperation move...and they don't use a "true" QB...like the Air Farce Academy... :D