Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 am
I also don't buy into coach Choate's comments that Murray wasn't consistent enough for us to have a winning team. There were LOTS of other areas that came into play last year that caused us to lose games (including coaching/play calling). It wasn't all on Murray. I don't think that was a fair comment.
I think the consistency comment was as much about Chris' choices off the field as on the field.

There are certain expectations beyond completion percentage when you are the QB and de facto leader of the team
Yeah I'm not saying Murray didn't let his team down as the QB/Team Leader this off season. If that is what he meant then yeah I can agree on that.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 am
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 am
I also don't buy into coach Choate's comments that Murray wasn't consistent enough for us to have a winning team. There were LOTS of other areas that came into play last year that caused us to lose games (including coaching/play calling). It wasn't all on Murray. I don't think that was a fair comment.
I think the consistency comment was as much about Chris' choices off the field as on the field.

There are certain expectations beyond completion percentage when you are the QB and de facto leader of the team
Yeah I'm not saying Murray didn't let his team down as the QB/Team Leader this off season. If that is what he meant then yeah I can agree on that.
I think choate really doubles down on that idea of consistency throughout all parts of life in the final minute or so of Colter's interview. He says something to the idea that the best players he has been around have been consistent throughout their lives (socially, academically, etc).

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am

Hope he gets his grades up. If you have never played at this level, you wouldn’t know the life style these kids live. Up early to lift, classes, study, film room, workouts, more film, study......there is a lot put on these kids. He came in very young and played, did great things for this program. Let’s not forget he is 2-0 against UM. Even Prukop didn’t do that.

Punters are people too!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 am

Regardless of who the QB is this team’s success revolves around the defense and non-QB running game. Losing Murray is a huge hit to the run game, but I think improved OL and RBs will offset that. MSU has needed the ability to pass the ball after pulling the defense into box to stop the run. I think the defense and non-QB run game will be better, but being able to exploit or just keep teams honest is still needed whether Murray is in or out.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 am
Regardless of who the QB is this team’s success revolves around the defense and non-QB running game. Losing Murray is a huge hit to the run game, but I think improved OL and RBs will offset that. MSU has needed the ability to pass the ball after pulling the defense into box to stop the run. I think the defense and non-QB run game will be better, but being able to exploit or just keep teams honest is still needed whether Murray is in or out.
Yeah, that is where they can make the difference up on 3rd down length and 3rd Conversion percent is with the quick short passing game. So hopefully they can get more of that going this year and be more balanced. The quick short passing game can be tough to stop if you have a good running game (like you say as the defense creeps up to stop the run).

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Well I think we can all agree that something needed to change in the passing game for the Cats to be a playoff team. Whether that was Jonsen coming in and winning the job, or simply Murray getting better in the offseason, something had to change. It will be kind interesting to see what happens in fall!

Unfortunately the newly anointed QB's first test will be Western Illinois, the 4th best defense in a defensive conference.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

I feel bad for Chris. What really sucks in general is getting called out for bad grades on such a public platform. I wish him the best of luck with his academic and future football career.

Ill be shocked if he stays in bozeman.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am
I feel bad for Chris. What really sucks in general is getting called out for bad grades on such a public platform. I wish him the best of luck with his academic and future football career.

I feel bad for him as well. Many years ago my cousin was starting RB for the Cats, even set a few records, but only played a couple years because of grades.

You raise an interesting point but what are his options? Can he spend a year at a JC still or does he have to much schooling in for that? If he is ineligible here can he transfer to another NCAA program? NAIA?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Any player at any time can be lost, injury, grades, hit by lightening, etc. I would rather be in this position where we have time to prepare the next man in line.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:

While I also feel bad for Chris, this isn't much different than when another player is academically ineligible. This happens a lot.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:

While I also feel bad for Chris, this isn't much different than when another player is academically ineligible. This happens a lot.
Is he academically ineligible? I haven’t seen a statement from MSU saying that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Unless you interpret this very differently than me I’d say yes he is academically ineligible:

“Choate said he and his coaching staff have “planned for this since (Murray’s) grades came out last spring.” He said the staff knew there was potential for an issue to occur but “didn’t really get finality or closure from the University” until Monday.”

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Unless you interpret this very differently than me I’d say yes he is academically ineligible:

“Choate said he and his coaching staff have “planned for this since (Murray’s) grades came out last spring.” He said the staff knew there was potential for an issue to occur but “didn’t really get finality or closure from the University” until Monday.”
In a conference call, Choate didn’t say specifically whether or not Murray is academically ineligible or divulge what standards the player failed to meet. He only went so far as to call it "an academic issue."

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

In a conference call, Choate didn’t say specifically whether or not Murray is academically ineligible or divulge what standards the player failed to meet. He only went so far as to call it "an academic issue."
The quote I utilized above is directly from skyline sports. As soon as Choate refers to getting closure from THE UNIVERSITY on Monday, I think that answers your question. He’s obviously ineligible otherwise he’d be able to participate in team activities like other red shirts do.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

The quote I utilized above is directly from skyline sports. As soon as Choate refers to getting closure from THE UNIVERSITY on Monday, I think that answers your question. He’s obviously ineligible otherwise he’d be able to participate in team activities like other red shirts do.
My quote is from the Billings Gazette. It doesn’t answer the question.

toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 pm

My money is on a surprise starter at QB. I am guessing we will see a local talent take the reigns.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Come on Tom, please tell me you are not so naïve as to think Choate would take his starting quarterback and force him to sit out just for the fun of it. He didn’t do that last year when that issue existed, so there is definitely something more at play this time around. Plus he already mentioned that the ball came down directly from the University on Monday (read bt the lines there Tom) which tells you the kid is academically ineligible. if he was truly just redshirting he’d be able to participate in team activities. You usually are a good poster and come off pretty bright, you’re missing the boat on this one. It’s extremely obvious.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Come on Tom, please tell me you are not so naïve as to think Choate would take his starting quarterback and force him to sit out just for the fun of it. He didn’t do that last year when that issue existed, so there is definitely something more at play this time around. Plus he already mentioned that the ball came down directly from the University on Monday (read bt the lines there Tom) which tells you the kid is academically ineligible. if he was truly just redshirting he’d be able to participate in team activities. You usually are a good poster and come off pretty bright, you’re missing the boat on this one. It’s extremely obvious.
I can now tell you that he’s not academically ineligible. If someone in the media wants to, or can, dig Into it they can possibly confirm that. They will not be able to get confirmation that Murray is a academically ineligible.

toM StUber

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I can now tell you that he’s not academically ineligible. If someone in the media wants to, or can, dig Into it they can possibly confirm that. They will not be able to get confirmation that Murray is a academically ineligible.
Bartender I’ll have whatever Tom is having. Or I won’t. Well I will but no one will confirm if. Or perhaps the will if they try. Nope they won’t. Say what?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm
Rich K wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm
With the new red-shirting rules, would he technically be allowed to play in 4 games, or is that only for incoming freshmen?
(I'm not advocating this, just wondering how the new red-shirt rule might be twisted)
Not eligible to play. So, no.
So, I ask again. If Murray is not ineligible academically, could the new red shirt rules allow him to play in 4 games?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act