Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chris Murray OUT for 2018 Season

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am
I feel bad for Chris. What really sucks in general is getting called out for bad grades on such a public platform. I wish him the best of luck with his academic and future football career.

Ill be shocked if he stays in bozeman.
While I also feel bad for Chris, this isn't much different than when another player is academically ineligible. This happens a lot.
Is he academically ineligible? I haven’t seen a statement from MSU saying that.
Unless you interpret this very differently than me I’d say yes he is academically ineligible:

“Choate said he and his coaching staff have “planned for this since (Murray’s) grades came out last spring.” He said the staff knew there was potential for an issue to occur but “didn’t really get finality or closure from the University” until Monday.”
In a conference call, Choate didn’t say specifically whether or not Murray is academically ineligible or divulge what standards the player failed to meet. He only went so far as to call it "an academic issue."
The quote I utilized above is directly from skyline sports. As soon as Choate refers to getting closure from THE UNIVERSITY on Monday, I think that answers your question. He’s obviously ineligible otherwise he’d be able to participate in team activities like other red shirts do.
My quote is from the Billings Gazette. It doesn’t answer the question.
Come on Tom, please tell me you are not so naïve as to think Choate would take his starting quarterback and force him to sit out just for the fun of it. He didn’t do that last year when that issue existed, so there is definitely something more at play this time around. Plus he already mentioned that the ball came down directly from the University on Monday (read bt the lines there Tom) which tells you the kid is academically ineligible. if he was truly just redshirting he’d be able to participate in team activities. You usually are a good poster and come off pretty bright, you’re missing the boat on this one. It’s extremely obvious.
I can now tell you that he’s not academically ineligible. If someone in the media wants to, or can, dig Into it they can possibly confirm that. They will not be able to get confirmation that Murray is a academically ineligible.
Bartender I’ll have whatever Tom is having. Or I won’t. Well I will but no one will confirm if. Or perhaps the will if they try. Nope they won’t. Say what?
You need to do more research.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Why do we have to dig more and make more people's lives miserable? MSU and Choate have said he isn't playing, so we know that, let's move on and support these guys rather than trying to analyze every minute detail!

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Kudos to the majority of posters here showing support for Murray. 99% have been supportive wishing Chris well and hoping for a return. Looking forward to seeing Chris back on the field in 2019.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:54 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

While I also feel bad for Chris, this isn't much different than when another player is academically ineligible. This happens a lot.
Is he academically ineligible? I haven’t seen a statement from MSU saying that.
Unless you interpret this very differently than me I’d say yes he is academically ineligible:

“Choate said he and his coaching staff have “planned for this since (Murray’s) grades came out last spring.” He said the staff knew there was potential for an issue to occur but “didn’t really get finality or closure from the University” until Monday.”
In a conference call, Choate didn’t say specifically whether or not Murray is academically ineligible or divulge what standards the player failed to meet. He only went so far as to call it "an academic issue."
The quote I utilized above is directly from skyline sports. As soon as Choate refers to getting closure from THE UNIVERSITY on Monday, I think that answers your question. He’s obviously ineligible otherwise he’d be able to participate in team activities like other red shirts do.
My quote is from the Billings Gazette. It doesn’t answer the question.
Come on Tom, please tell me you are not so naïve as to think Choate would take his starting quarterback and force him to sit out just for the fun of it. He didn’t do that last year when that issue existed, so there is definitely something more at play this time around. Plus he already mentioned that the ball came down directly from the University on Monday (read bt the lines there Tom) which tells you the kid is academically ineligible. if he was truly just redshirting he’d be able to participate in team activities. You usually are a good poster and come off pretty bright, you’re missing the boat on this one. It’s extremely obvious.
I can now tell you that he’s not academically ineligible. If someone in the media wants to, or can, dig Into it they can possibly confirm that. They will not be able to get confirmation that Murray is a academically ineligible.
Bartender I’ll have whatever Tom is having. Or I won’t. Well I will but no one will confirm if. Or perhaps the will if they try. Nope they won’t. Say what?
You need to do more research.

Change of major from kinesiology to general studies. Choate alluded to NCAA standarss for GPA and progress towards major. So a junior changing majors could potentially be having either issue. Drop it and hope he comes back in 2019. Doesn't really do much good for him to drop to JC or NAIA. He needs to focus on life and his future like choate alluded to.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

zootowncat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by zootowncat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm
Kudos to the majority of posters here showing support for Murray. 99% have been supportive wishing Chris well and hoping for a return. Looking forward to seeing Chris back on the field in 2019.
Word

FTG

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Maybe I dont know all the rules anymore but whether he is academically ineligible or not he can participate in practices and workouts cant he?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Well said @Cataholic. There's nothing for Chris to hang his head about here. He got handed a lot of stuff at an awfully young age. Many 18-year-olds are redshirted their first year just to get their feet on the ground academically, and to adjust from living away from home for the first time. Chris moved from big city Southern California to small town Montana, and athletes every year fail that transition. And a large percentage of students take five years to complete a degree, so nothing to be embarrassed about there. So good luck to Chris (and his family that Coach mentioned) in this "gap year" and come back more prepared to do classes, life, and football.

I've been wondering, does he get to keep his scholarship this year?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 pm
Maybe I dont know all the rules anymore but whether he is academically ineligible or not he can participate in practices and workouts cant he?
Choate already stated he will not practice or travel with the team. I’m assumimg he won’t participate in any team activities. This is exactly why I’m saying it’s not a “redshirt” it’s an ineligible.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm
Rich K wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm
With the new red-shirting rules, would he technically be allowed to play in 4 games, or is that only for incoming freshmen?
(I'm not advocating this, just wondering how the new red-shirt rule might be twisted)
Not eligible to play. So, no.
So, I ask again. If Murray is not ineligible academically, could the new red shirt rules allow him to play in 4 games?
If he was truly redshirting, then yes as this is what the rule states:

“Under the new redshirt rule, any incoming freshman, or player in general, who receives a redshirt can play in up to four games without sitting out the entire redshirt season. These games could happen early in the year or towards the end of the year, to be used at the program’s discretion. Should an injury occur, or a program’s season land in the toilet, the team can activate a redshirted player to its active roster, offering them playing time.”

But with Choate already stating that Murray will not be practicing or traveling with the team, it tells me it’s not really a redshirt as much as it is him being academically ineligible.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:07 am

If anyone on this site cares about Chris, please stop posting and kill the thread. He' not playing this season. End of frickin story. Stop feeding the griz haters. Thanks.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
With the new red-shirting rules, would he technically be allowed to play in 4 games, or is that only for incoming freshmen?
(I'm not advocating this, just wondering how the new red-shirt rule might be twisted)
So, I ask again. If Murray is not ineligible academically, could the new red shirt rules allow him to play in 4 games?

“Under the new redshirt rule, any incoming freshman, or player in general, who receives a redshirt can play in up to four games without sitting out the entire redshirt season. These games could happen early in the year or towards the end of the year, to be used at the program’s discretion. Should an injury occur, or a program’s season land in the toilet, the team can activate a redshirted player to its active roster, offering them playing time.”

But with Choate already stating that Murray will not be practicing or traveling with the team, it tells me it’s not really a redshirt as much as it is him being academically ineligible.
Wow. I thought the rule would be twisted, not Choate's words.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am

I think it is pretty clear that Murray is academically in eligible.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am
I think it is pretty clear that Murray is academically in eligible.
The only thing that is clear is that Murray will not play this season and will be using his redshirt season. I actually am very sympathetic towards Mr. Murray and would like this to appear on his "record" in as light a way as possible. My sympathy comes from the fact that I was a terrible student. I didn't really settle down academically until about my 2nd junior year or my first senior year, and I wasn't playing sports.
Compared to me, Chris is an academic superstar.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

You may want to cite a source for your quote. I’m pretty sure the NCAA didn’t use the word “toilet” in their rule. Your statement seems accurate but it looks like someone’s interpretation of the rule and not the actual NCAA rule itself.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

AFCAT: just ignore GA. He’s only here to be annoying as usual.

No matter how you slice it Choate did the right thing.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:52 am

I agree, at this point there really is nothing to be gained by speculating or debating semantics. He's not playing, it's due to grades. Move on gents.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am
AFCAT: just ignore GA. He’s only here to be annoying as usual.

No matter how you slice it Choate did the right thing.
Thank you! Obviously when a kid changes their major, there is a great deal of self-reflection going on internally. It's also indicitive of doubt based upon my prior experience working with young men and women and as a consequence, the coaching staff appears to be affording a young man the opportunity to get grounded in his life decisions.

If the passion for the professional pursuit of academic endeavors is lacking, there is a very real possibility the passion for the game the kid excells at is also lacking. I'd suggest we all trust the rather young coaching staff allow those kids their parents entrusted their overall well-being to handle the matter as they see fit.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 am

It’s worth remembering that Choate didn’t use all of his spring practice sessions. Skipped two of 15. More to life than football, especially when those sessions are seen as overkill and not worth the time. Choate obviously sees the big picture.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 am

I'm glad we have a guy with Coach Cole's knowledge and experience to help in this decision.

Does anyone know if Beltran is in town yet?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Rich K wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

You may want to cite a source for your quote. I’m pretty sure the NCAA didn’t use the word “toilet” in their rule. Your statement seems accurate but it looks like someone’s interpretation of the rule and not the actual NCAA rule itself.
I think the actual rule is still getting finalized and implemented so it’s tough finding the actual NCAA rule verbatim. The question Rick had, I believe, was whether the new rule applied only to true redshirt freshman or if it also applies to any redshirt (freshman or otherwise).

This quote was the only one I could find where it actually referenced other players than just a true freshman, hence the reason I posted it. Initially, I thought the new rule would only apply to true freshman as it’s really intended to get them some playing time without burning a red shirt year, but now I’m not positive