Spring Ball Strategy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball Strategy

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 am

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern have all canceled their spring games this year.

https://m.herosports.com/college-footba ... draft-ahah
————
With winter weather set to sweep across the midwest this weekend, spring games across the Big Ten were being canceled. Wisconsin canceled theirs on Tuesday and Michigan and Northwestern followed suit on Wednesday. After last year's debacle, Minnesota was not canceling.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 am

fsburr1 wrote:I attended several practices. This was far from wasted time. The entire team was alive with high spirits and a competitive attitude and performance. Lots of fundamentals as mentioned in an earlier thread, but I didn't notice any slackers. Not one. The coaches were all engaged 110% and the players were challenged and called out for mistakes. This was as good a spring practice series as I've been witness to here for any number of years. The only thing missing was more full pad contact segments. But when they were in full contact there was a lot of popping to be heard. I guess I would say this is a hungry, eager squad, each and every one from freshman to coach.
Im glad you posted this. I have been worried about the lack of desire from Choate about this Springs work. It seemed like such a gamble for a coach who has very little success in the W column. But, sounds like the time that was used was used very well. Thanks for the post.

Hating the griz since 02.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:53 am

This is a good listen about this, and other MSU info.

https://soundcloud.com/user-834730292/c ... ine-sports

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am

btribby wrote:
fsburr1 wrote:I attended several practices. This was far from wasted time. The entire team was alive with high spirits and a competitive attitude and performance. Lots of fundamentals as mentioned in an earlier thread, but I didn't notice any slackers. Not one. The coaches were all engaged 110% and the players were challenged and called out for mistakes. This was as good a spring practice series as I've been witness to here for any number of years. The only thing missing was more full pad contact segments. But when they were in full contact there was a lot of popping to be heard. I guess I would say this is a hungry, eager squad, each and every one from freshman to coach.
Im glad you posted this. I have been worried about the lack of desire from Choate about this Springs work. It seemed like such a gamble for a coach who has very little success in the W column. But, sounds like the time that was used was used very well. Thanks for the post.

Seriously....I think a lack of desire to win is probably isn't the issue

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Spring ball is late for younger/less experienced players. I get why Choate doesn't love it, but I think not using all the practices is shortsighted.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Spring ball is late for younger/less experienced players. I get why Choate doesn't love it, but I think not using all the practices is shortsighted.
I don't think 2 more practices are going to tell him anything more than what he already learned.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 pm

asstastic wrote:
btribby wrote:

Seriously....I think a lack of desire to win is probably isn't the issue
I didnt mean a lack of desire to win. I meant a lack of desire towards the spring drills. My thought was, he hasnt had a winning season yet. So, why not take full advantage of player development. But, as was stated, it sounded like he did.

Hating the griz since 02.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:01 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Spring ball is late for younger/less experienced players. I get why Choate doesn't love it, but I think not using all the practices is shortsighted.
I just don’t see how two more practice sessions in ice, wind, or snow and cold temperatures will have any effect on summer workouts or fall camp. Seems like making a big deal out of nothing, and it also seems his reasons for doing so are anything but shortsighted since he referenced injuries, workouts over the summer, and then fall camp.

If 4 hours of drills in April are going to make or break your season, you already don’t have a good team.

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 pm

PapaG wrote:
I just don’t see how two more practice sessions in ice, wind, or snow and cold temperatures will have any effect on summer workouts or fall camp. Seems like making a big deal out of nothing, and it also seems his reasons for doing so are anything but shortsighted since he referenced injuries, workouts over the summer, and then fall camp.

If 4 hours of drills in April are going to make or break your season, you already don’t have a good team.
Make or break? Probly not.

But any reason to continue to get coached up, drill and learn plays is a good reason imo.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

But any reason to continue to get coached up, drill and learn plays is a good reason imo.
Players develop during the summer (e.g. Lance McCutcheon.)

2024 Resume dominance

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Winter and Summer show up more in the Fall these days IMO

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

https://twitter.com/CoachBobCole/status/984565850773622784 By the way, nothing but good things to say about the addition of Coach Cole. He is a very charismatic and funny person but gets his QBs to produce. He's an excellent teacher and I'm excited the QB room gets his knowledge and tutelage for the foreseeable future.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I'm not saying they don't. But spring is important for early enrollee freshman, transfers, and young/inexperienced players. I get avoiding injury, I do...but you can still use all your practice time without adding injury risk.

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Choate’s strategy might be a little different if we had an indoor facility. In perfect weather conditions that an indoor facility would allow, they might practice the full number of days allowed. Maybe not a major shift but at least the practices wouldn’t be affected by the often poor Bozeman spring weather.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Winter and Summer show up more in the Fall these days IMO
Spring seems to be for injuries these days once a coach knows who his guys are and how hard they will work.
Last edited by PapaG on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
I'm not saying they don't. But spring is important for early enrollee freshman, transfers, and young/inexperienced players. I get avoiding injury, I do...but you can still use all your practice time without adding injury risk.
How many early enrollees, transfers, and "young/inexperienced players" are going to suffer from two less days of drills in awful conditions?

Anyhow, let's bring on fall camp!

What a ride

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
How many early enrollees, transfers, and "young/inexperienced players" are going to suffer from two less days of drills in awful conditions?

I also question the wisdom of practice being early in the morning. I understand that he wants to do it to help players with their schoolwork and that’s a laudable goal. However weather in the spring and late fall in Bozeman is bad enough but it can often be 30° colder at sunrise then it is in the afternoon and I think that can make a significant difference in the quality of your practice time.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Naw, builds character. Separate the men from the boys and keeps them from heat exhaustion.

I also question the wisdom of practice being early in the morning. I understand that he wants to do it to help players with their schoolwork and that’s a laudable goal. However weather in the spring and late fall in Bozeman is bad enough but it can often be 30° colder at sunrise then it is in the afternoon and I think that can make a significant difference in the quality of your practice time.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Spring Ball Strategy

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I think the larger goal for morning practices is they allow for 100% attendance where afternoon practices have the potential for class conflicts for numerous guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 pm

I think Coach knows what he’s doing and if he didn’t see the benefit in 2 more practice sessions 5 months before the start of the season then we shouldn’t risk injury for no reason.