Dante Sparaco (Colorado Transfer DE/LB) Commits!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: 4/9/18 Boom

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:What position will he end up playing?
Can play any of the four linebacker positions but will most likely be at Buck so he can rush the passer.
Yeah...can't say I agree with that.

Kid was 6'5 245 as a true freshman. He's not exactly fleet of foot (not slow either, just not fast). In HS he played DE and rush linebacker. In college he played rush linebacker. He profiles better at setting the edge against the run than as a pass rusher, although good at both. This kid is a Buck or strong side DE. He is not a linebacker. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am

Dante says Linebacker......

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 am

Rich K wrote:Dante says Linebacker......
Buck is considered a linebacker in the Bobcats scheme.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:34 am

VimSince03 wrote:
I'd love for somebody to explain the difference between buck and outside linebacker.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am

Rich K wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I'd love for somebody to explain the difference between buck and outside linebacker.
Buck sometimes rushes out of the 3 pt with a hand on the ground, but also in the standard LB position.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 am

Looks like commitment tweets can no longer include hints like area codes.
https://twitter.com/RazorbackRules/status/982370886538940416 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaIRm3sUwAAMlyW.jpg:large

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:A 3rd down package with Sparaco, Sterk, Hadley and Anderson on the field, would be a pretty good pass rush package.
I was wondering about this yesterday.....say it's 3rd and 6+ yards to go. I could see our front 4 being STERK, SPARACO, BENSON, HADLEY with ANDERSON blitzing. If your the opposing QB can you say....soil your pants!

I suspect that somehow someway that Sparaco, Sterk & Hadley will all be starters, exactly where I don't know. Good luck TG in figurin' it out. GO CATS!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 am

Could the addition of Sparaco mean we could move Konkol to safety? We don't have a whole lot of safety depth and Brayden has proven he can play there well. Although he is also a talented linebacker. Not a bad 'problem' to have

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:45 am

Bozcat003 wrote:It sounds like we have a lot of great players who will be able to play linebacker this fall. The funny thing is although they might not be prototypical, Josh Hill and Brayden Konkol were fantastic linebackers last year. Both very sure tacklers with good stats. Both in BSC top 20 tacklers, right behind Bryson McCabe. Only Mac separated himself from that group averaging one more tackle per game. Konkol also happened to have the most interceptions on the team (though it was only 2)
It sounds like we have a lot of great players who will be able to play linebacker this fall. The funny thing is although they might not be prototypical, Josh Hill and Brayden Konkol were fantastic linebackers last year. Both very sure tacklers with good stats. Both in BSC top 20 tacklers, right behind Bryson McCabe. Only Mac separated himself from that group averaging one more tackle per game. Konkol also happened to have the most interceptions on the team (though it was only 2) and we aren't even talking about these guys. Kind of surprising to me.

Again, a good problem to have, but I am just surprised that.

I will be interested to see how the offense is looking come fall. If we are struggling at all, I can't imagine being able to justify keeping Troy at linebacker.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

4/9/18 Boom

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:52 am

TG likes tall, rangy LBs. I sort of wonder if Hill is going to come off the bench more than not, which would be a shame because he is a very good LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 am

CelticCat wrote:TG likes tall, rangy LBs. I sort of wonder if Hill is going to come off the bench more than not, which would be a shame because he is a very good LB.

Josh Hill is MSU's starting middle linebacker and arguably one of the 5 best players on the roster right now. If Ty benched him, I would be angry as a fan.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am

As others have stated, this is a great problem to have. We’re getting a logjam at DE and linebacker. All that means is whoever does get the playing time is going to have earned it and that means good things for the on-field product.

We’ve heard a lot about getting the best 11 on the field. It’s hard to imagine that the best 11 doesn’t include Sterk, Hadley, Sparaco, Benson, Hill, Konkol, Andersen, etc.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the personnel decisions and packages TG puts on the field to maximize these talents. I have high hopes for this defense this year...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 am

Catsrgrood wrote:As others have stated, this is a great problem to have. We’re getting a logjam at DE and linebacker. All that means is whoever does get the playing time is going to have earned it and that means good things for the on-field product.

We’ve heard a lot about getting the best 11 on the field. It’s hard to imagine that the best 11 doesn’t include Sterk, Hadley, Sparaco, Benson, Hill, Konkol, Andersen, etc.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the personnel decisions and packages TG puts on the field to maximize these talents. I have high hopes for this defense this year...
This logjam also means better special teams units.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 am

Does anyone think Collins could move to strong side end? I've always thought he played well against the run, just didn't have the quick twitch for buck.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am

https://twitter.com/DanteSparaco/status/983741173750616064

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 am

technoCat wrote:Does anyone think Collins could move to strong side end? I've always thought he played well against the run, just didn't have the quick twitch for buck.
I like this idea. Hadley, Sparaco and Sterk is a solid group at Buck.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am

https://twitter.com/dinosparaco/status/983743948186443776

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:55 am

VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:TG likes tall, rangy LBs. I sort of wonder if Hill is going to come off the bench more than not, which would be a shame because he is a very good LB.

Josh Hill is MSU's starting middle linebacker and arguably one of the 5 best players on the roster right now. If Ty benched him, I would be angry as a fan.
Fair enough, and that's how I feel as well. But I just imagine TG has to like what Jobman brings to the table, 6'4 232.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am

Rich K wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
It all depends on scheme.

An outside LB in a 3-4 is a rush end. Maybe 20-40 snaps over a season they'll drop into coverage.

A traditional OLB in a 4-3 is a Will or Sam. Weak side and strong side. Should be good in coverage and against the run. A Buck is just a stand up DE that will occasionally drop into coverage.

Easiest way to get through this is rather then say DE or LB, do this:

DE/Rush LB: Edge
Strong side LB: Sam
Weak side LB: Will
Middle LB: Mike

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 am

reminder on Grant Collins... people keep mentioning his name regarding depth... Due to injuries, it sounds like he will be out until at least the halfway point of next season... and even at that point, it is hard to say how healthy/impactful he will be.

Just going off of what I have been told. Hopefully he can recover sooner (or maybe get an additional year, medical redshirt deal)? Definitely a bummer, he is a very hard worker, just battled injuries his whole career.

FTG- GO CATS GO!