Willie Patterson

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Willie Patterson

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:46 pm

It sounds like he has probably been the most pleasant surprise of the spring (or at least toward the top of the list).

-Does it look like he could be a starter next year?

-Even though they are different types of receivers, could he help fill that void left by Jabarri Johnsons injury?

sounds like he could/will be a good one! Glad we have him for the next 4 years!

go cats

FTG- GO CATS GO!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Willie Patterson

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I've been very impressed with him this spring. I don't think he'll take the place of Jabarri, because he's not a 6'4" outside receiver.
Patterson is money from the slot - fly sweeps...swing routes...quick passes....bubbles. He reminds me a little of Jerry Louis McGee.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:I've been very impressed with him this spring. I don't think he'll take the place of Jabarri, because he's not a 6'4" outside receiver.
Patterson is money from the slot - fly sweeps...swing routes...quick passes....bubbles. He reminds me a little of Tyreek Hill of the KC Chiefs.
FIFY...You should compare Willie to someone worth comparing to. Doesn't have quite the overall top speed like Hill does, he's in a league of his own for that, but he is damn shifty on the field and makes people miss.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Team10 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:I've been very impressed with him this spring. I don't think he'll take the place of Jabarri, because he's not a 6'4" outside receiver.
Patterson is money from the slot - fly sweeps...swing routes...quick passes....bubbles. He reminds me a little of Tyreek Hill of the KC Chiefs.
FIFY...You should compare Willie to someone worth comparing to. Doesn't have quite the overall top speed like Hill does, he's in a league of his own for that, but he is damn shifty on the field and makes people miss.
In terms of miles per hour while running in an NFL game, Tyreke Hill is the single fastest player in the NFL...hard to compare anyone to him...

Patterson is certainly thriving in place of Johnson because Kevin Kassis can play on the outside. There's sort of a mis perception of what makes good inside and outside receivers. Kassis has been cast as a slot because of his size. But his greatest talents are his sharp route running and his hands. I think he actually fits better at outside. He has good but not great vision with the ball in his hands, making him an ok but not great weapon in the fly and jet sweep game.

Patterson has excellent vision when getting the ball handed off or pitched to him because of his previous experience as a star quarterback at Franklin Pierce in Tacoma. The three things in Montana State's offense a slot receiver needs to excel at: making open space in tight windows, carrying the ball in the variety of option plays it offers, dicing zone coverage. Patterson excels at all three.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 am

Willie’s emergence is probably the biggest development out of spring ball. He’s very good.