Spring game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Spring game

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I've watched the Holland scrimmage twice now and the quality and quantity of depth in many positions has me anticipating really good things from this team
in the coming year and beyond.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:I've watched the Holland scrimmage twice now and the quality and quantity of depth in many positions has me anticipating really good things from this team
You are right sir. Tad Gilliam will play a lot this year and he should, really exited to see him play. The defense as a whole has me really excited. The corners we have are special, really special, as the fiz fans say they could be scary good.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:Watching the replay today I notice that Troy Anderson is the signal caller on punts. :-k

Huge potential for fake punts!! :shock:
Thought I saw Luke may back there too.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:I've watched the Holland scrimmage twice now and the quality and quantity of depth in many positions has me anticipating really good things from this team
It was mentioned that it would be televised, is there a link or did you record it?

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Team10 wrote:
It was mentioned that it would be televised, is there a link or did you record it?
Watched it on SWX both yesterday live and replay today. Should've recorded it but didn't.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I was fascinated to hear Coach Choate's evaluation of the QB's. He really likes Chris, and who doesn't for all the obvious reasons, and he is really frustrated that Rovig has not stepped up to show what he was recruited for. Admittedly I have never seen Rovig play a down in person so I really don't know anything about his ability, other than his tape and his history. That kid should thrive in Choate's system. I'm not sure why he is tentative, but remember he has only produced championships and set records. Jonsen seems to be the guy now who can push Chris to make throws...which is still the glaring weakness in our offence.
Despite what a number of posters may think on this forum, Rovig will never see the field. It should also be fairly clear at this point that our biggest weakness on "offence" is our lack of WR weapons with J Johnson being out for season now. We'll need the Patterson kid to step up next season, along with Steel it looks like. Among others...
That's the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you take a "I told you this kid couldn't play, told you I was right" attitude about Rovig... congrats?

You seem pretty defensive about this for some reason.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:19 pm

CelticCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I was fascinated to hear Coach Choate's evaluation of the QB's. He really likes Chris, and who doesn't for all the obvious reasons, and he is really frustrated that Rovig has not stepped up to show what he was recruited for. Admittedly I have never seen Rovig play a down in person so I really don't know anything about his ability, other than his tape and his history. That kid should thrive in Choate's system. I'm not sure why he is tentative, but remember he has only produced championships and set records. Jonsen seems to be the guy now who can push Chris to make throws...which is still the glaring weakness in our offence.
Despite what a number of posters may think on this forum, Rovig will never see the field. It should also be fairly clear at this point that our biggest weakness on "offence" is our lack of WR weapons with J Johnson being out for season now. We'll need the Patterson kid to step up next season, along with Steel it looks like. Among others...
That's the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen you take a "I told you this kid couldn't play, told you I was right" attitude about Rovig... congrats?

I’m with you Celtic. Plus the freshman being able to play after his redshirt year is the exception and not the rule. I have been a huge supporter of finding a more traditional QB than our starter the last two years because we need to be able to pass the ball in order to be successful IMO. However, the guy likely to be our starter in the fall is a true junior not a redshirt junior that we would all love to see in a perfect world. Most coaches across the country would say a 4th year (redshirt junior) would be their preferred succession plan in which case Murray is still a year away and Rovig is two years away. Murray was thrust into the starting role so early because he is a special athlete not because he was a college ready QB two years ago.

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I’m with you Celtic. Plus the freshman being able to play after his redshirt year is the exception and not the rule. I have been a huge supporter of finding a more traditional QB than our starter the last two years because we need to be able to pass the ball in order to be successful IMO. However, the guy likely to be our starter in the fall is a true junior not a redshirt junior that we would all love to see in a perfect world. Most coaches across the country would say a 4th year (redshirt junior) would be their preferred succession plan in which case Murray is still a year away and Rovig is two years away. Murray was thrust into the starting role so early because he is a special athlete not because he was a college ready QB two years ago.
I doubt that is the reason

Murray was starting as a 17 year old true froshman due to having literally nobody else at qb

This space for rent....

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:50 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Ha I"m glad you guys said it instead of me. I was a big fan of the Rovig signing coming out of high school and I guess you could say I was one of the "Rovig supporters" (although I never remember saying he should start instead of Murray or even rooting for that scenario.) But if you told me he was going to be ready as a 19-year-old Redshirt Freshman coming off an injury, I would have been extremely surprised. I am still confident Rovig will contribute to this team (remember he was rather instrumental in gaining commitments from his Meridian, ID peers Redd and Wood and has been a cheerleader of ours since day 1) in one way or another. Ultimately I feel that giving up on a 19-year-old and labeling him as a POS bust might be a little premature (and immature).

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:26 pm

RobertCats wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Ha I"m glad you guys said it instead of me. I was a big fan of the Rovig signing coming out of high school and I guess you could say I was one of the "Rovig supporters" (although I never remember saying he should start instead of Murray or even rooting for that scenario.) But if you told me he was going to be ready as a 19-year-old Redshirt Freshman coming off an injury, I would have been extremely surprised. I am still confident Rovig will contribute to this team (remember he was rather instrumental in gaining commitments from his Meridian, ID peers Redd and Wood and has been a cheerleader of ours since day 1) in one way or another. Ultimately I feel that giving up on a 19-year-old and labeling him as a POS bust might be a little premature (and immature).
Yes I agree. QB's that can come in and play right away as Freshman are the exception NOT the norm. We have been lucky to have a few be able to come in right away and play, but that does not always happen. Plus if you watched the scrimmage how much time did he get to throw? NOT MUCH. All the throws were quick outs pretty much where the DB's were waiting on them (hopefully that is the case against other teams this year). Any more than that and the D was right in his face in about 2 seconds. Just like coach Choate said this was not your typical scrimmage. The goal was to get out without injury so in the words of Aaron Rodgers ... "Relax" :)

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Speaking of spring ball - isn't the Triangle Classic tonight? Who's all going?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:50 am

Last year in spring and fall ball the coaches simplified things for the QBs and that led to better numbers, but after teams got some film it was also simpler to defend. Cole is taking a different approach and is forcing the QBs to learn to make more difficult, but more conducive to beating defenses, throws and reads. Murray, and especially Rovig, may have looked rough but I think you’ll see vast improvement from both when August rolls around.