Spring game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Spring game

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:47 pm

It was nice to be able to watch the scrimmage on TV. Even over here in Idaho. First time I remember that happening. Thank you SWX!

My question. Is Willie Patterson good enough to get the Cats, freshman of the year three times in a row?

In a scrimmage I usually find myself pulling for the offense. Anybody else do the same?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Casual, injury-free Sonny Holland classic caps spring football for Bobcats
https://skylinesportsmt.com/casual-inju ... r-bobcats/
I am glad Coach Choate used the word "uninspired" do describe the scrimmage. That is exactly what I told my son.

Glad there were no injuries. Hope everyone has a good time at the Triangle Classic next week.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Oh, Zach Minter was handing out rosters at the players entrance. I took my nephews photo with him. Such a great guy.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 pm

I was fascinated to hear Coach Choate's evaluation of the QB's. He really likes Chris, and who doesn't for all the obvious reasons, and he is really frustrated that Rovig has not stepped up to show what he was recruited for. Admittedly I have never seen Rovig play a down in person so I really don't know anything about his ability, other than his tape and his history. That kid should thrive in Choate's system. I'm not sure why he is tentative, but remember he has only produced championships and set records. Jonsen seems to be the guy now who can push Chris to make throws...which is still the glaring weakness in our offence.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:01 am

catsrback76 wrote:I was fascinated to hear Coach Choate's evaluation of the QB's. He really likes Chris, and who doesn't for all the obvious reasons, and he is really frustrated that Rovig has not stepped up to show what he was recruited for. Admittedly I have never seen Rovig play a down in person so I really don't know anything about his ability, other than his tape and his history. That kid should thrive in Choate's system. I'm not sure why he is tentative, but remember he has only produced championships and set records. Jonsen seems to be the guy now who can push Chris to make throws...which is still the glaring weakness in our offence.
Despite what a number of posters may think on this forum, Rovig will never see the field. It should also be fairly clear at this point that our biggest weakness on "offence" is our lack of WR weapons with J Johnson being out for season now. We'll need the Patterson kid to step up next season, along with Steel it looks like. Among others...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I was fascinated to hear Coach Choate's evaluation of the QB's. He really likes Chris, and who doesn't for all the obvious reasons, and he is really frustrated that Rovig has not stepped up to show what he was recruited for. Admittedly I have never seen Rovig play a down in person so I really don't know anything about his ability, other than his tape and his history. That kid should thrive in Choate's system. I'm not sure why he is tentative, but remember he has only produced championships and set records. Jonsen seems to be the guy now who can push Chris to make throws...which is still the glaring weakness in our offence.
Despite what a number of posters may think on this forum, Rovig will never see the field. It should also be fairly clear at this point that our biggest weakness on "offence" is our lack of WR weapons with J Johnson being out for season now. We'll need the Patterson kid to step up next season, along with Steel it looks like. Among others...
I have said it before, but Baumann will push Rovig more than Rovig will push Murray.

Nothing against either player. Hate to criticize kids, but Rovig just isn't processing fast enough.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 am

Murray looks confident, he will keep getting better. I am starting to agree that Rovig may only call signals in from the sideline for his career. He looks tentative to me at the practices and scrimmage I have watched.i hope not, but he does. I believe the staff may have changed their philosophy a little and are now looking to utilize dual threat QB more than the typical drop back QB, by bringing Jonson in. Yet we recruit the big kid out of Washington with strong arm, so what do I know! I thought the D looked stout. Wright, Gillian, Andersen, and the DB’s caught my eye. I recognize that Johnson is a big loss to the WR core, but I still think they can contribute in big ways. Troy and Sterk bring a new level of speed that makes a difference. I think we will see Troy fill in at WR for Johnson, he has the speed, size and hands.

catscat

Post by catscat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:20 am

Maybe Johnny D will be the receiver. Not quite as tall as Johnson, but I think he'll make up lots of what's missing. I was surprised at Natee's low yardage. He had a number of carries, but only 19 yards. I kinda expected 5 + yards a carry based on his size, but our defense was able to contain him pretty well. Kudos to the D. Maybe if the O line gets him a bigger hole and he gets up a bigger head of steam he'll steamroll defenders.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:27 am

I think people need to relax on Rovig a little. A lot has yet to be seen with him. Hes still a freshman and this is his first spring ball. If Murray steps it up and is the starter for the next two years, Rovig still has plenty of time to develop more and the Cats would still get two years with him as starter after Murray is gone.

I’d like to see him playing a little better as well right now, but to say he’s looking like a career backup right now is a bit premature in my opinion. Maybe that’s what happens, but it’s way to early to tell.

I think he’ll be fine, but I think the battle is really going to be between Jonsen and Murray for the starting job the next two years and then between Rovig and Bauman for the next couple years after that. Someone is going to get the short end of the stick with all of these guys at the position, but that should mean good things for the qb position as a whole.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 am

I didn’t mind the lack of game day intensity or physicality that is a trademark of today’s Bobcat Football yesterday.
If you want to puke , be the guy that ends a teammate’s season or career with an ACL or some other Injury . I
Think we will be real fine when we line up across from an opponent rather than a teammate. We are longer , stronger
and faster as a team ,than at any other time I can remember, and may be more so by this fall.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 am

Catsrgrood wrote:I think people need to relax on Rovig a little. A lot has yet to be seen with him. Hes still a freshman and this is his first spring ball. If Murray steps it up and is the starter for the next two years, Rovig still has plenty of time to develop more and the Cats would still get two years with him as starter after Murray is gone.

I’d like to see him playing a little better as well right now, but to say he’s looking like a career backup right now is a bit premature in my opinion. Maybe that’s what happens, but it’s way to early to tell.

I think he’ll be fine, but I think the battle is really going to be between Jonsen and Murray for the starting job the next two years and then between Rovig and Bauman for the next couple years after that. Someone is going to get the short end of the stick with all of these guys at the position, but that should mean good things for the qb position as a whole.

:goodpost:

Very Pre-mature to be making these negative predictions about rovig

FTG- GO CATS GO!

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 am

Do all quarterbacks take turns with the scout team? How is that structured?

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:05 am

SWX's post game report
http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/379043 ... pring-ball
"You know, quite honestly, my favorite moment of the day was the dipsy-do for two. I mean, that't the only reason we're here, right? Have a little bit of fun and stay healthy. That was the two point play that we ran where Chris flipped the ball over his head. When I was a high school coach, we used to run that. It was a 40-40 play. Up by 40, down by 40, that's what you do," said Coach Choate.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:I didn’t mind the lack of game day intensity or physicality that is a trademark of today’s Bobcat Football yesterday.
If you want to puke , be the guy that ends a teammate’s season or career with an ACL or some other Injury . I
Think we will be real fine when we line up across from an opponent rather than a teammate. We are longer , stronger
and faster as a team ,than at any other time I can remember, and may be more so by this fall.
I kind of agree, the way summer is any more the need for multiple scrimmages in spring seems less than it used to be. A little interesting they did the more "serious" scrimmage in private, and the more lackadaisical one when they had more fans in the stands. Wonder if that's the way of it now, or if that will change in future years. Looking forward to fall, see if we can be as good of a team as it feels like we can.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:I think people need to relax on Rovig a little. A lot has yet to be seen with him. Hes still a freshman and this is his first spring ball. If Murray steps it up and is the starter for the next two years, Rovig still has plenty of time to develop more and the Cats would still get two years with him as starter after Murray is gone.

Did Rovig get zny reps with the #1 offense yesterday or was he always with the #2's?

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Watching the replay today I notice that Troy Anderson is the signal caller on punts. :-k

Huge potential for fake punts!! :shock:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:Watching the replay today I notice that Troy Anderson is the signal caller on punts. :-k

Huge potential for fake punts!! :shock:
Where are you watching the replay?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Sounds like the same crowd that was saying Rovig will start next year, before they ever saw him play. Have you seen Jonsen play? I doubt it, and the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I have seen Rovig enough to know he is way behind Murray, I suspect the same being true for Jonsen. It’s easy to say a drop down will be better, but until they do it Murray is the guy. Talking with some “people in the know” Jonsen is behind Rovig so that should tell you all you need to know. Just goes to show ****** in one hand always fills up faster than hoping in the other hoping in the other hand.Murray could be good but he has a long way to go as far as a passer.

Just sitting here thinking how everybody was saying Murray was gonna move positions so Rovig could play QB, that’s laughable now having watched both in practice and game situations or scrimmage situations to be correct.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm

vike_king wrote:

Did Rovig get zny reps with the #1 offense yesterday or was he always with the #2's?
He had reps with the ones.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
I have said it before, but Baumann will push Rovig more than Rovig will push Murray.

Nothing against either player. Hate to criticize kids, but Rovig just isn't processing fast enough.
I would agree, but Murray will start all four years barring an injury because he is the best QB we have.