Corey Widmer story

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Corey Widmer story

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Many of the responses to a former Bobcat and his decision to address the serious nature of not just head and brain injury but the overall damage to the body of those who play this game is indicative of hero-worship. Or penal envy. Flat out jealously because they were, are and will be pitiful in all their feable endeavors in life.

Although Widmer was a chickenhawk in high school instead of a Panther, I respect his stance.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:54 pm

wbtfg wrote:Wow. Lots of harsh words for one of MSU’s all time greats just offering his opinion during an interview. Why not just accept his words at face value?
His words are fine, he lived it and I'll never know that life, but I'm not sure how taking a dump on MSU when his own words in the past say it's his NFL days that were the trade-off for future health risks are his issue.

His action seems to be more anti-MSU than anti-football, as do his words in the article. Plus, he says it was his decision to withdraw from all public life, so how does MSU respecting his privacy reflect badly on MSU? It would be worse if MSU had been calling him for years for donations from his NFL money. We didn't. Is he giving up his NFL earnings plus his investments from the money he made playing in the NFL because of the physical toll from those days? Doesn't seem like it.

Is he giving up his college degree from MSU? The one that boosters paid for while he played football? Or is he funding a full academic scholarship so someone who isn't good at football but can't afford college can get a chance to get a degree? There are lots of ways to make a difference. He seems to be lost as a person, as I read that article a few times over. I feel sorry for him. That's my take away.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:12 pm

I'll add that while obviously the risk factor is higher for CTE while playing football, the 110 out of 111 number given in the article is skewed due to the sample used of volunteers instead of a random sampling and a controlled study.

If people really believe that over 99% of NFL players get CTE, the sport should be shut down immediately. Seriously.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Hell's Bells wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Wow. Lots of harsh words for one of MSU’s all time greats just offering his opinion during an interview. Why not just accept his words at face value?
Yeah i agree. He is being treated better on egriz fwiw
That statement speaks volumes about some in our fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullcrap. If you believe everything in that article, why would you watch one more second of Bobcat football? I'm not joking. Same goes for those morons on egriz, which again, is the dumbest fansite on the internet and is basically a frat party circa 1989.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm

PapaG wrote:I'll add that while obviously the risk factor is higher for CTE while playing football, the 110 out of 111 number given in the article is skewed due to the sample used of volunteers instead of a random sampling and a controlled study.

If people really believe that over 99% of NFL players get CTE, the sport should be shut down immediately. Seriously.
You really can't be that f**king stupid. Use the entire population instead of random assignment to a supposed random sample! Christ almightly! Manipulating the sample is a tactic to...******, why waste my time! Mathematical moron.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:I'll add that while obviously the risk factor is higher for CTE while playing football, the 110 out of 111 number given in the article is skewed due to the sample used of volunteers instead of a random sampling and a controlled study.

You really can't be that f**king stupid. Use the entire population instead of random assignment to a supposed random sample! Christ almightly! Manipulating the sample is a tactic to...******, why waste my time! Mathematical moron.
It’s not a random sample of the entire population of people who played in the NFL and have died. It’s a sample of those who donated their brains over the years to a group with an agenda and believe they had brain injuries. It’s not at all a random sample and again, if you believe that over 99% of NFL players gets“CTE” to the point it makes you a brain dead person, in whichever way it’s defined by the group pushing and profiting from these lawsuits, then you should never watch football again unless you’re into watching men basically kill themselves.

I know players get messed up from football. Chris Niwinski’s group isn’t exactly the most credible in terms of medical accuracy, though, and he has done great work so don’t get me wrong. Do you even read what other posters write?

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

It’s not a random sample of the entire population of people who played in the NFL and have died. It’s a sample of those who donated their brains over the years to a group with an agenda and believe they had brain injuries. It’s not at all a random sample and again, if you believe that over 99% of NFL players gets“CTE” to the point it makes you a brain dead person, in whichever way it’s defined by the group pushing and profiting from these lawsuits, then you should never watch football again unless you’re into watching men basically kill themselves.

I know players get messed up from football. Chris Niwinski’s group isn’t exactly the most credible in terms of medical accuracy, though, and he has done great work so don’t get me wrong. Do you even read what other posters write?
No homogeneity, effect size or power in those psueo-statistical studies. Period. The f**king NFL (and NCAA for that matter) studies you and other posters place here are mere manipulations of data. Contrived studies. Follow the data and the truth will set you free.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:05 am

Once a Cat, always a Cat!!! One of the very best all time greats! =D^ =D^ =D^

I hate to hear about the "silence" from the university towards him. I get respecting privacy, but there is a sense of community that MUST prevail beyond the "I don't have a clue what happened to him"! MSU, like all organisations must develop a "touch point" within the system that fosters the relationships of past significance. Maybe it has, but it sounded like much of what he is dealing with is a lack of contact from a community that was of huge influence in his younger years.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 am

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

No homogeneity, effect size or power in those psueo-statistical studies. Period. The f**king NFL (and NCAA for that matter) studies you and other posters place here are mere manipulations of data. Contrived studies. Follow the data and the truth will set you free.
Is insulting someone your only recourse? Whenever someone disagrees with you either call them a moron or say you are wasting your time. This only proves that you are what you call others and are also wasting their time.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:55 am

I wonder if this contributed to his current state at all.

http://mtstandard.com/sports/widmer-sev ... 87ec8.html

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 pm

PapaG wrote:
His words are fine, he lived it and I'll never know that life, but I'm not sure how taking a dump on MSU when his own words in the past say it's his NFL days that were the trade-off for future health risks are his issue.

His action seems to be more anti-MSU than anti-football, as do his words in the article. Plus, he says it was his decision to withdraw from all public life, so how does MSU respecting his privacy reflect badly on MSU? It would be worse if MSU had been calling him for years for donations from his NFL money. We didn't. Is he giving up his NFL earnings plus his investments from the money he made playing in the NFL because of the physical toll from those days? Doesn't seem like it.

Is he giving up his college degree from MSU? The one that boosters paid for while he played football? Or is he funding a full academic scholarship so someone who isn't good at football but can't afford college can get a chance to get a degree? There are lots of ways to make a difference. He seems to be lost as a person, as I read that article a few times over. I feel sorry for him. That's my take away.
I agree. I think it is a slap in the face of MSU to not accept the award. Accepting the award has nothing to do with his stance. He should still appreciate his time at MSU and what the school game him an opportunity to pursue. And yes, I believe he knew all the risks involved. It's not like he played in the 50's.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 am

Isn’t it kind of difficult to be critical of someone in Widmar’s condition? He’s admitting that he has something neurologically wrong with him. It’s okay, and probably wise since no one has a lot of knowledge about what’s going on with him, to take a neutral position on this.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 am

[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am

TomCat88 wrote:Isn’t it kind of difficult to be critical of someone in Widmar’s condition? He’s admitting that he has something neurologically wrong with him. It’s okay, and probably wise since no one has a lot of knowledge about what’s going on with him, to take a neutral position on this.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not living his life, I don't agree with his position, but he is only really stating his opinion. I think that is his right.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

Good points, guys.

Corey's story is gaining national attention:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-nfl-lb- ... 47746.html

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 am

A touch of irony in that entry into a hall of fame is supposed to be an honor because it provides the recipient with recognition in the way of offering an assurance of ongoing fame, while Widmer, by declining the honor, gains more fame than all the other recipients.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

91catAlum wrote:Good points, guys.

Corey's story is gaining national attention:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-nfl-lb- ... 47746.html
His story was on FOX Business yesterday.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:53 am

https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/979192688527503362

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 am

Did I miss something? Read the article and didn’t see where he was critical is MSU.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Good on Cory , hope he finds some peace. After this story broke , couldn't help but thinking about it. So
looked up some info, on signs and symptoms of CTE by the Mayo Clinic. Holy chit if you have had several
Concussions, it would be worth checking out. Definitely worth a discussion and shining a light on CTE.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play