Corey Widmer story

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Corey Widmer story

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:00 am

https://twitter.com/jmaletz/status/977555415155204097

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Corey Widmer story

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am

Not buying that. They all knew the consequences, so did Corey. To act like you are having a coming to god moment later in life doesn't change the fact that you played a game you wanted to and you made a really good living off of it. I would bet dollars to peanuts, Corey would do it again so would 90% of the former NFL players that have sued the NFL.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Not buying that. They all knew the consequences, so did Corey. To act like you are having a coming to god moment later in life doesn't change the fact that you played a game you wanted to and you made a really good living off of it. I would bet dollars to peanuts, Corey would do it again so would 90% of the former NFL players that have sued the NFL.
I think that number is a lot lower than you think it is.

The safety in football is getting better, a lot better than in Widmer's day. It's a serious problem though. The best thing we can do is keep kids informed of the risks so they can make a smart decision.

I love football. It's a great team sport, but I look at my friends that played college ball...and their bodies are shot. They're in their 30's, and their bodies are shot. Some of them have no regrets, some of them do. Knowing what I know now, if I had the talent, I don't think I would play past HS.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:48 am

I had to meet with him about 4 yrs ago at his place for my job. We talked a little about football and such, but he said twice to me that he had no contact from anyone at MSU. He said he was surprised they had never reached out besides the letter for financial contribution. He seemed like a nice guy but you could just tell football wasn't something he wanted to talk about . It's really to bad as guys like him could be big selling points for future players and he could give good advice on how to handle themselves at the next level.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Interesting story....the biggest change since Cory played, IMHO, is the research that is pointing to the damage that can be caused by the constant blows to the head players experience during the game......not just the one severe blows that result in a concussion....don't get me wrong...I love the game, but we've got to figure out how to protect players, especially young kids, from long term brain damage.

LIBBYCAT

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:55 pm

I won’t put words in someone else’s mouth or pretend to know how they feel but I will tell you the injuries are real. They heal but they never go away. Only 8 years of football but three concussions and two back surgeries. Life after football can be painful. I loved the team atmosphere and the sport. Hopefully the rule changes and the modifications to equipment protect the future of the players and the game. I wish Corey peace, and pray for the safety of those still playing.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Ya I don’t know , this is a tuff one for me . I know many that have had multiple multiple concussions coming from
the era of shake it off ,smelling salts, and going back out there, used to think it wasn’t a good game unless you
saw stars at least once a game . Many don’t have a retirement made or an NFL to sue. They just grind it out until they
can retire and rely on what ever health insurance they are afforded to replace shoulders , knees, backs etc. Most have
good attitudes with few regrets , some really get a kick out of life. Two of the best attitudes on life I’ve encountered
come from a person in a wheel chair and one with terminal Cancer . The TC guy (brain), only would take a day off for
Chemo, which I’ve heard kicks your butt. He just took on a second part time job to get ahead . I asked why are you behind ?
He said not really just like to keep busy. If anyone needs help with anything, he’s the first to volunteer. He’s very grateful
to be alive. People with an attitude of gratitude ,seem to be much happier in life from what I’ve been able to observe. I know when I get to feeling sorry for myself , I don’t have to look very far to see someone who has it a lot worse than I do.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 pm

I wonder what sport has more injuries per capita between football and rugby. I wonder if less players would get hurt if they didn’t wear helmets.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Well I can tell you that football isn’t even the sport that has the most concussions or brain injuries, that would be soccer. But guess what their isn’t enough money in soccer for former players to file claims, but there is in football. So all of sudden we have an epidemic in football, weird how that works isn’t it. $$$$$
You know what your getting into when you play football, just like soccer, but if you follow the money you will find the complaints and claims.

If your left, you aren’t right.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Well I can tell you that football isn’t even the sport that has the most concussions or brain injuries, that would be soccer. But guess what their isn’t enough money in soccer for former players to file claims, but there is in football. So all of sudden we have an epidemic in football, weird how that works isn’t it. $$$$$
You know what your getting into when you play football, just like soccer, but if you follow the money you will find the complaints and claims.
Soccer is up there but football leads the way. By a wide margin:
http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussi ... ons_sports

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:49 pm

I believe him when he says he'd give it all back for his health. I was at MSU when he played, I lived on his floor in the dorm and knew him a bit. I concur with him 100%. This country has gotten completely football nuts and have become numb to actually what happens to the players out on the field that play the game. If we continue to go down this road, we will just see a steady stream of people with these injuries. If you want to make the game safer, take the facemask off the helmets and make the helmet a soft shell. It will change the way they tackle, lots of broken noses and missing teeth but way safer for people to play. Otherwise I think we at MSU should drop football and field a baseball, wrestling and maybe even a hockey team. Be competitive in all sports for the price of football and be glad for the health of the student athletes.
A friend of mine played for Boise State and then for the Rams and the Raiders is in the same shape and feels exactly the same way.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Well I can tell you that football isn’t even the sport that has the most concussions or brain injuries, that would be soccer. But guess what their isn’t enough money in soccer for former players to file claims, but there is in football. So all of sudden we have an epidemic in football, weird how that works isn’t it. $$$$$
Soccer is up there but football leads the way. By a wide margin:
http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussi ... ons_sports
Women's soccer maybe, Men's soccer is ******. I thought basketball players were bad, nothing like being brushed and failing on the ground like you broke a leg. Bunch of pussies.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:54 am

Can you honestly sit there and say the players from Widmer's era knew exactly what they were getting into? Can you really say that?

And your facts are wrong. Football has the highest concussion rate for sports played by boys/men. Girls soccer, volleyball, and basketball are higher, but if girls played football, guarantee it's at the top of the list.

And that's just concussions. Football is a high speed collision sport. Even if you don't get hurt, your joints are shot. If you do get hurt, more shot! Watch former players walk. It's awful. We shouldn't be blind and ignorant to all of this. It's important.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Can you honestly sit there and say the players from Widmer's era knew exactly what they were getting into? Can you really say that?

And your facts are wrong. Football has the highest concussion rate for sports played by boys/men. Girls soccer, volleyball, and basketball are higher, but if girls played football, guarantee it's at the top of the list.

And that's just concussions. Football is a high speed collision sport. Even if you don't get hurt, your joints are shot. If you do get hurt, more shot! Watch former players walk. It's awful. We shouldn't be blind and ignorant to all of this. It's important.
I know a couple former players here in Helena who basically have their health. One has never complained of anything to me, the other has some aches and pains but still played pickup basketball everyday until into his 40s. Maybe they are just being tough and not saying anything, but it's not ALL former players.

Every career choice comes with pros and cons. In Corey's case, he got to live like a rock star in his youth and then retire a millionaire by age 30. Compared to my career... I've got some very minor issues ( lower back, sciatica in one leg, and a wrist surgery) after 27 years of sitting behind a computer 40 hours a week - and I have about 10 more years before I can start thinking about retiring.
So who's career would you rather have - 40 years behind a desk with a fairly frugal retirement once you're 60... or living a life most people only dream about until age 30, never again working a day in your life, and then having serious health issues later in life? Honestly I'm not sure the answer to that. The answer is fairly obvious for guys in their 50s because you wanna be healthy wherever you're currently at in life... but I think a lot of 20 year olds would probably choose Corey's life over 40 years at a desk job, despite the health issues.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I'm not - and I'm certainly not apathetic to Corey! Just trying to point out that there are pros and cons to whatever direction you choose.

PS, I'm 100% in favor of making the game safer.
I'm kinda just playing devils advocate here, but just trying to make a point. Hopefully it doesn't come across as dooshy.

mongoo99
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mongoo99 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:26 am

Here's the Corey Widmer I prefer to remember: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/w ... 87ddf.html

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:44 am

mongoo99 wrote:Here's the Corey Widmer I prefer to remember: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/w ... 87ddf.html
Corey's words back then, from that article:

“The worst thing about the NFL? You look down the road and see what it does to your body,” Widmer says.“You trade fame for pain. I made that commitment a long time ago.”

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I know a couple former players here in Helena who basically have their health. One has never complained of anything to me, the other has some aches and pains but still played pickup basketball everyday until into his 40s. Maybe they are just being tough and not saying anything, but it's not ALL former players.

Every career choice comes with pros and cons. In Corey's case, he got to live like a rock star in his youth and then retire a millionaire by age 30. Compared to my career... I've got some very minor issues ( lower back, sciatica in one leg, and a wrist surgery) after 27 years of sitting behind a computer 40 hours a week - and I have about 10 more years before I can start thinking about retiring.
So who's career would you rather have - 40 years behind a desk with a fairly frugal retirement once you're 60... or living a life most people only dream about until age 30, never again working a day in your life, and then having serious health issues later in life? Honestly I'm not sure the answer to that. The answer is fairly obvious for guys in their 50s because you wanna be healthy wherever you're currently at in life... but I think a lot of 20 year olds would probably choose Corey's life over 40 years at a desk job, despite the health issues.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I'm not - and I'm certainly not apathetic to Corey! Just trying to point out that there are pros and cons to whatever direction you choose.

PS, I'm 100% in favor of making the game safer.
I'm kinda just playing devils advocate here, but just trying to make a point. Hopefully it doesn't come across as dooshy.
This is how I feel as well. At lot of these kids complaining would have had no shot at college and would have been working in the fields or a coal mine or construction or something and would probably still be in rough shape. Working a hard job for 20 years for 50000 a year is going to do the same to your body as 5 years at 1 million a year. I don't want to sound uncaring but its hard for me to believe that if they were to have the choice of either they would chose the longer road.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Wow. Lots of harsh words for one of MSU’s all time greats just offering his opinion during an interview. Why not just accept his words at face value?

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:Wow. Lots of harsh words for one of MSU’s all time greats just offering his opinion during an interview. Why not just accept his words at face value?
Yeah i agree. He is being treated better on egriz fwiw

This space for rent....

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Hell's Bells wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Wow. Lots of harsh words for one of MSU’s all time greats just offering his opinion during an interview. Why not just accept his words at face value?
Yeah i agree. He is being treated better on egriz fwiw
That statement speaks volumes about some in our fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk