DL shakeup this spring?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

DL shakeup this spring?

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 am

The starting DL managed just five sacks and 18.5 TFL in 2017. Backups had seven sacks, 12.5 TFL. Just stats, but it makes you wonder.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: DL shakeup this spring?

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 am

iaafan wrote:The starting DL managed just five sacks and 18.5 TFL in 2017. Backups had seven sacks, 12.5 TFL. Just stats, but it makes you wonder.
The starting d-line was also our strongest group against the run so you have to factor that in.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 am

Last season, how many different guys started on the D-line, along with the overall number of guys that rotated in on a regular basis? It was interesting to watch from the stands as different packages, situations, and match ups would some times bring in an entire new platoon of players. Anyone have an idea on the those numbers?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 am

Team10 wrote:Last season, how many different guys started on the D-line, along with the overall number of guys that rotated in on a regular basis? It was interesting to watch from the stands as different packages, situations, and match ups would some times bring in an entire new platoon of players. Anyone have an idea on the those numbers?
The usual starting group at the beginning of the year"

Buck - Grant Collins
Nose (1 tech.) - Tucker Yates
3 tech. DT - Zach Wright
End - Derek Marks/Tyrone Fa'anono

Normal rotation guys included:

Buck - Michael Jobman/Tyrone Fa'anono/Kyle Finch
Nose - Brandon Hayashi/Elu Leota/Fou Polataivao
3 Tech. - Chase Benson
End - Marcus Ferriter

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 am

What is the word on Grant Collins and his shoulder recovery? I had been told it was worse than first thought, but that could have been hear say. He has battled injury so much, I hope he can finish strong. I love Grant's hustle and attitude, however I still would like to see him in the LB rotation and move kids like Jobman up.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 am

superbobcat wrote:What is the word on Grant Collins and his shoulder recovery? I had been told it was worse than first thought, but that could have been hear say. He has battled injury so much, I hope he can finish strong. I love Grant's hustle and attitude, however I still would like to see him in the LB rotation and move kids like Jobman up.
He has battled shoulder injuries his entire career. They are tough to rehab. I hope he can give it one last go his senior year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 am

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/966706339169775616 Tucker doing his usual stuff on max day. However, the kid in the upper-right corner is Jacob Hadley. If Jacob is looking like that, I think its safe to say he will be playing Buck this year and not Sam. I've heard Jacob is up to around 240.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/966706339169775616 Tucker doing his usual stuff on max day. However, the kid in the upper-right corner is Jacob Hadley. If Jacob is looking like that, I think its safe to say he will be playing Buck this year and not Sam. I've heard Jacob is up to around 240.
holy crap, that's Hadley?! I figured that was one of the OL guys or something..... :shock:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:46 am

superbobcat wrote:What is the word on Grant Collins and his shoulder recovery? I had been told it was worse than first thought, but that could have been hear say. He has battled injury so much, I hope he can finish strong. I love Grant's hustle and attitude, however I still would like to see him in the LB rotation and move kids like Jobman up.
From what I heard, he will most likely be out until at least mid-season....... Hope its sooner. Definitely a bummer, he has continually battled injuries his entire career.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Here's the current roster with some ?/possibilities;

DE -- Chase Benson -- So
DE -- Chad Kanow -- So
DE -- Michael Jobman – So
DE – Bryce Sterk – Jr
DL -- Kyle Finch -- Rf
DL -- Tyrone Fa’Anono -- Sr
DL -- Kyle Rygg – Rf
DL – Travis Yates -- Rf
DL – Derek Marks – Jr
DT – Zach Wright – Sr
DL – Marcus Ferriter – Jr
NT – Tucker Yates – Sr
NT – Elu Leota -- So
DL – Seer Deines – F
NT – James Williams -- F
DE--??transfer?? -- ?

LB – Jacob Hadley – So
LB – Tad Gilman – Rf
LB – Sean Opland -- So
LB -- Balue Chapman – So
LB – Grant Collins – Sr
LB – Walker Cozzie – Jr
LB – Jackson McCleery -- So
LB – Josh Hill – Jr
LB – Troy Anderson So
LB – Sal Aguilar -- Rf
LB – Nolan Askelson -- F
?LB? – Brayden Konkel – Jr
?LB? – Callahan O’Reilly – Rf

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
From what I heard, he will most likely be out until at least mid-season....... Hope its sooner. Definitely a bummer, he has continually battled injuries his entire career.
Has Grant used his redshirt yet? I thought he started as a true freshman.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Has Grant used his redshirt yet? I thought he started as a true freshman.
Yes. He burned his redshirt in 2014. Played last three seasons.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber