D better despite loss of Bignell, McCabe and Garcia?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

D better despite loss of Bignell, McCabe and Garcia?

Post by iaafan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 am

Considering Andersen, Henderson and Konkol are the likely replacements, the defense might just be better. There are a bunch of good LBs to slide into Komkol’s LB spot if he moves to safety. There’s also a bunch of good safeties to move into McCabe’s and Garcia’s spots if Konkol stays at LB. In limited action at LB Andersen led the team in tackles, TFL and sacks per rep. He had nine tackles, one TFL and one sack.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: D better despite loss of Bignell, McCabe and Garcia?

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am

We need to get better along the DL first. I think we have ample replacements for those guys, although Bignell will be tough to replacement. I really liked what I saw out of JoJo Henderson, hopefully he can stay healthy. I think Konkol will probably have to move to safety like you say, although we are bringing in a transfer who hopefully can make an impact.

LB should be good with Hill, Chapman, Hadley, Gilman and Andersen in the mix. Cozzie can hopefully be in the conversation as well. I wish we could move Collins back to LB, but we need him at buck even with Sterk coming in, unless Sterk really is what we think he is, and Kanow can back him up, then maybe Collins gets a shot at LB?

We should be better along the DL, but is it enough to be that much better? Fa'anono, Yates, Wright all return (and Collins), and as much as I like that group they just haven't really played at a level high enough to give our secondary and LB some relief. But add Sterk into the mix, maybe Kanow, along with Marks, Ferriter, the other Yates and Leota and there could certainly be some improvement. What do we know about Kyle Rygg? He's a big kid, 6'4 235.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am

My expectations are better. Yes, big losses but also massive improvement in terms of quality depth.

Our secondary quality and depth is the best in at least a decade. McCabe was a constant presence and Garcia had some great moments. I look for more consistent performance from the entire unit.

The added quality and depth on the DL will allow the coaches to create lineups that will optimize the results and consistently get pressure on the passer - wow do we miss Minter!!!!

No way to replace Bignell. Hoping the quality we have realizes they have to step it up since he is gone.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

A defensive-focused head coach and a DC in Gregorak who is the best in the Big Sky conference. Defense isn't the concern and wasn't last year, minus depth. 2018 will come down to the offense being able to do more than run the ball, which against good teams it struggled, and against crappy teams like the Griz they moved the ball at will.

Beating the Griz is nothing. They stink and are in a rebuild for the next few years. It's time to look at the elite teams in the Big Sky and FCS and figure out how to not be overwhelmed on offense by those defenses.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am

I don't recall being overwhelmed last year, offense certainly fizzled at inopportune times.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am

I expect the defense to be better overall as a whole.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to be "replacing" Bignell.... One of the all time great LB's to come through the program. I do really like the LB group, a lot of talent, but there is a lot of younger/unproven guys though.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am

thefrank1 wrote:I don't recall being overwhelmed last year, offense certainly fizzled at inopportune times.
Wazzu, Kennesaw State, and Weber overwhelmed the Bobcat offense, IMO. The offense didn't have a chance in those game, but the defense kept them in those games.

What a ride

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

thefrank1 wrote:I don't recall being overwhelmed last year, offense certainly fizzled at inopportune times.
Yeah, the offense just needs to be more consistent (especially in the red zone). We had some very tight games where had we made some key plays late we would have won those games. I think with the year of added experience (and against a tough schedule) this will improve this year. Hopefully the CATS can get a consistent kicker that can kick from distance this year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Yeah, the offense just needs to be more consistent (especially in the red zone). We had some very tight games where had we made some key plays late we would have won those games. I think with the year of added experience (and against a tough schedule) this will improve this year. Hopefully the CATS can get a consistent kicker that can kick from distance this year.
Eh, I'd rather put the ball in the end zone or at least have short red zone FGs. That's what great teams do on offense.

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wazzu, Kennesaw State, and Weber overwhelmed the Bobcat offense, IMO. The offense didn't have a chance in those game, but the defense kept them in those games.
I agree with wazzu and KSU, but the Weber game was ours for the taking, if not for a couple screw ups.
First or maybe second drive down inside the 5, we had a walk-in TD on a reverse, if the LT doesn't slip and fall down and miss a block on the only defender on that whole side of the field. Then we miss a FG.
Later in the game, Troy Anderson is left uncovered down the left sideline around the 15 yard line, with literally nobody near him. Murray is scrambling left, sees him, and throws the ball too far to his left and Troy can't make the catch in bounds for another walk-in TD.

Credit Weber for the win, but the MSU offense was not overwhelmed by them, they just shot themselves in the foot over and over, and didn't take advantage of the opportunities that they had.

Post by 083190 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Hadley becomes a defensive end and splits time with Sterk(?) and Jobman moves to inside linebacker. Folsom may move to LB to backup and compete with Konkol. Anderson and Gilman will play the other LB spot. The new guys will fill the safety slots. Time will tell!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 pm

083190 wrote:Gonna go out on a limb and say that Hadley becomes a defensive end and splits time with Sterk(?) and Jobman moves to inside linebacker.
Bingo!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
083190 wrote:Gonna go out on a limb and say that Hadley becomes a defensive end and splits time with Sterk(?) and Jobman moves to inside linebacker.
Bingo!
They actually moved Michael to inside linebacker at times during the Kennessaw State game. But I still expect Jobman to have a heavy dose of playing time at the Buck. Michael is just one of those long, versatile athletes that make everything easier in a defensive scheme.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
I agree with wazzu and KSU, but the Weber game was ours for the taking, if not for a couple screw ups.
First or maybe second drive down inside the 5, we had a walk-in TD on a reverse, if the LT doesn't slip and fall down and miss a block on the only defender on that whole side of the field. Then we miss a FG.
Later in the game, Troy Anderson is left uncovered down the left sideline around the 15 yard line, with literally nobody near him. Murray is scrambling left, sees him, and throws the ball too far to his left and Troy can't make the catch in bounds for another walk-in TD.

Credit Weber for the win, but the MSU offense was not overwhelmed by them, they just shot themselves in the foot over and over, and didn't take advantage of the opportunities that they had.
I don't know how you can blame KSU on the offense. They had a lead in the second half and got to be on the field for what? 5 mins? There was a 19 min time disadvantage! Edit: had my drive lengths wrong.

WAZZU definitely kept us in check. The rest of the games, I don't know if I'd use the work overwhelmed but they definitely didn't take advantage of opportunities.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm

technoCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I don't know how you can blame KSU on the offense. They had a lead in the second half and got to be on the field for what? 5 mins? You can't say the defense kept us in it when they gave up TWO 12+ minute drives.

WAZZU definitely kept us in check. The rest of the games, I don't know if I'd use the work overwhelmed but they definitely didn't take advantage of opportunities.
I'd say KSU was a team loss. The offense scored 14 points at home. That's not good enough to win games. And the defense couldn't get off the field when it mattered most, on that final drive, allowing KSU to convert third down after third down, and 2 fourth downs.
But still, when your defense allows just 16 points at home, you should win that game. IMHO.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Choate on signing day #2.
We fixed the LB position pretty good by moving guys around in our program...we feel pretty good about our LB's...you'll see we got those guys dialed in.
I can't remember. Is the Buck considered a LB or a DE?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Choate on signing day #2.
We fixed the LB position pretty good by moving guys around in our program...we feel pretty good about our LB's...you'll see we got those guys dialed in.
Kinda both. They don't want to ever really designate either or. A defensive lineman who does linebacker stuff. Simple enough right?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Choate on signing day #2.
Kinda both. They don't want to ever really designate either or. A defensive lineman who does linebacker stuff. Simple enough right?
Just wondering where to put them when discussing positions. I guess the answer is both.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm

91catAlum wrote: I agree with wazzu and KSU, but the Weber game was ours for the taking, if not for a couple screw ups.

The run game was effective with Murray the Weber game but the passing game was awful and Chris had no time to pass. That was the game where the freshman had the roughing the passer penalty that ended the game, which wasn't great but it also was a freshman getting pressure on a very good Weber OL. I think MSU pops this year barring an ER unit for a locker room. QB play no matter who it is will improve just by the talent at that position competing against each other this spring and into the fall.

What a ride