Redshirt freshman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Redshirt freshman

Post by Team10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am

With a whole new bunch of freshman on the way for 2018 I wanted to turn the spot light back to last years class and give some attention to those guys that practiced all fall and made the team better, but were on the sidelines wearing jeans during the game. Which redshirt freshman (one or many) are you looking forward to seeing make a run at a starting spots or just time on the field?

Tucker Rovig - Increasing the competition at the QB spot. He is still my favorite to start in 2018.
Keaton Anderson - Great speed and think he could make an impact on special teams this year, possibly see the field on D at safety.
Tadan Gilman - An outstanding overall athlete with tremendous pedigree. I believe he will push for a starting spot at one of the OLB positions.
Travis Yates - He was doing a lot of great things in fall ball and looks pretty quick for being listed at 6'3" 266 with a nose for the ball.

I was going to include 2 deep guys moving in to starting roles but my memory is failing me and I can't find a 2 deep list from any of the games last fall.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Redshirt freshman

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 am

Team10 wrote:With a whole new bunch of freshman on the way for 2018 I wanted to turn the spot light back to last years class and give some attention to those guys that practiced all fall and made the team better, but were on the sidelines wearing jeans during the game. Which redshirt freshman (one or many) are you looking forward to seeing make a run at a starting spots or just time on the field?

Tucker Rovig - Increasing the competition at the QB spot. He is still my favorite to start in 2018.
Keaton Anderson - Great speed and think he could make an impact on special teams this year, possibly see the field on D at safety.
Tadan Gilman - An outstanding overall athlete with tremendous pedigree. I believe he will push for a starting spot at one of the OLB positions.
Travis Yates - He was doing a lot of great things in fall ball and looks pretty quick for being listed at 6'3" 266 with a nose for the ball.

I was going to include 2 deep guys moving in to starting roles but my memory is failing me and I can't find a 2 deep list from any of the games last fall.
Agree with the Top 4 and here are a few more:

James Campbell & Willie Patterson - We need more "juice" at the WR position. James is a burner and Willie has that short-area quickness most slot receivers have. I hope these two push for playing time.
Connor Wood - Out of the four lineman who redshirted last year (Hatten, Wood, Redd, McKnight), Connor was unexpectedly the one who pushed for playing time early. He will be in competition for the left guard spot as Kidd moves to left tackle. Redd will be the heir apparent to Neale at center when Alex graduates next year but Montana walk-on Denver Krone will push Zach for a spot on the 2-deep. Hatten and McKnight are both a year away in my opinion. I see Sean as the next right tackle once Mitch graduates and McKnight as a player who will continue to add depth and competition to both guard spots.
Kyle Rygg - Kyle still might be too buried on the depth chart on the defensive line but he will be big enough next fall to push for playing time.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."