2019 schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2019 schedule

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:44 am

bobcatbob wrote:Why is North Dakota on the 2019 schedule? I thought they will be gone from the Big Sky. Also, I am disappointed that UI, EWU, ID St, or Weber is not on the schedule.
Am I to assume then that none of those teams mentioned above are our second rivalry game? I was kind of hoping we would get Idaho State to replace North Dakota as our other rival.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:56 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:Why is North Dakota on the 2019 schedule? I thought they will be gone from the Big Sky. Also, I am disappointed that UI, EWU, ID St, or Weber is not on the schedule.
Am I to assume then that none of those teams mentioned above are our second rivalry game? I was kind of hoping we would get Idaho State to replace North Dakota as our other rival.
From the article at http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/2/9/bob ... edule.aspx
In addition, the Bobcats play a conference game against North Dakota, who by then will not be a member of the Big Sky Conference. That game occurs on October 26, and counts in the league standings even though the Fighting Hawks will play that season as an independent transitioning from the Big Sky to the Missouri Valley Conference.
Apparently, this schedule was created a long time ago. Remember this story from 2014? North Dakota, at that time, seemed to be the only Big Sky team that published future schedules, and nobody seemed to know why none of the other athletic departments were releasing anything. I bet way back then North Dakota was getting ready to leave.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209494583

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:04 am

Rich K wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
From the article at http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/2/9/bob ... edule.aspx
In addition, the Bobcats play a conference game against North Dakota, who by then will not be a member of the Big Sky Conference. That game occurs on October 26, and counts in the league standings even though the Fighting Hawks will play that season as an independent transitioning from the Big Sky to the Missouri Valley Conference.
Apparently, this schedule was created a long time ago. Remember this story from 2014? North Dakota, at that time, seemed to be the only Big Sky team that published future schedules, and nobody seemed to know why none of the other athletic departments were releasing anything. I bet way back then North Dakota was getting ready to leave.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =209494583
And was part of transition out of BSC. The Missouri valley had full schedule for 2019 so the start as full member in 2020.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 am

Montanabob wrote: And was part of transition out of BSC. The Missouri valley had full schedule for 2019 so the start as full member in 2020.
Right. I would wager that the Big Sky went ahead and created a schedule for North Dakota and refrained from creating the complete schedule so as to be able to absorb a then speculative Idaho entry into the conference. Said differently, North Dakota was the only school with a complete schedule.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Im guessing the new rival will be Northern Colorado. ISU will prob have Weber and Idaho

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am

DaCats21 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Im guessing the new rival will be Northern Colorado. ISU will prob have Weber and Idaho

I bet ISU will have PSU and Weber just like they do now. MSU will have Montana and UNC, EWU will have PSU and UI and Montana will have UI and MSU.

Cal Poly- Sac & Davis
Eastern Washington- Idaho & Port St
Idaho- Eastern Wash & Montana
Idaho State- Port State & Weber St
Montana- Idaho & Montana St
Montana State- Montana & Northern Colorado
Northern Arizona- Northern Colorado & Southern Utah
Northern Colorado- Montana St & Northern Arizona
Portland State- Eastern Wash & Idaho State
Sacramento State- Poly & Davis
Southern Utah- Weber St & Northern Arizona
UC Davis- Sac and Poly
Weber State- Idaho State & Southern Utah

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am

When EWU announced their schedule, they said that UM was no longer their designated rival, and UI now was (article in Spokane paper as I recall). UI was getting EWU and UM.

I haven't seen anything about other changes, but obviously Northern Colorado and we need to replace UND. Simplest would be to simply put us with UNC, but I hope they shuffle more teams around so we can get a closer team for our 2nd rival.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am

catbooster wrote:When EWU announced their schedule, they said that UM was no longer their designated rival, and UI now was (article in Spokane paper as I recall). UI was getting EWU and UM.

I haven't seen anything about other changes, but obviously Northern Colorado and we need to replace UND. Simplest would be to simply put us with UNC, but I hope they shuffle more teams around so we can get a closer team for our 2nd rival.
WSUWILDCAT may have it right.... Although from an MSU perspective, um & ISU would be preferable I think. Also, UI having um & EWU seems logical from a proximity standpoint, but not having UI & ISU as rivals is somewhat like not having um & MSU as rivals. Seems like if there are 2 BSC teams in the same state they should be rivals, but the proximity of UI, EWU & um match up well too.

Personally, I'd like to see us and Weber switch UNC & ISU so it would be;
Weber State - UNC & SUU
Montana State - ISU & um
UNC - WSU & NAU
ISU - PSU & MSU
but I don't know if that's the way it'll play out.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
catbooster wrote:When EWU announced their schedule, they said that UM was no longer their designated rival, and UI now was (article in Spokane paper as I recall). UI was getting EWU and UM.

WSUWILDCAT may have it right.... Although from an MSU perspective, um & ISU would be preferable I think. Also, UI having um & EWU seems logical from a proximity standpoint, but not having UI & ISU as rivals is somewhat like not having um & MSU as rivals. Seems like if there are 2 BSC teams in the same state they should be rivals, but the proximity of UI, EWU & um match up well too.

Personally, I'd like to see us and Weber switch UNC & ISU so it would be;
Weber State - UNC & SUU
Montana State - ISU & um
UNC - WSU & NAU
ISU - PSU & MSU
but I don't know if that's the way it'll play out.

Honestly that could happen, Weber is the closest school to UNC after all. I don't want that to happen but unfortunately it isn't up to me and they are going to do it as best as they can to limit travel. I guess it just depends on whether or not the Big Sky would be willing to break up Idaho State and Weber State. Despite that series not being much of a rivalry anymore. For me the most important rivalry to keep would be the Beehive Bowl. Though I would hate to lose Idaho State as they are the team Weber has the most history with.

Weber's games played vs current Big Sky schools. (Not counting UND)
vs Idaho State- 56 games
vs Montana- 54 games
vs Montana State- 53 games
vs Northern Arizona- 51 games
vs Portland State- 36 games
vs Eastern Washington- 33 games
vs Idaho- 32 games
vs Southern Utah- 25 games
vs Sacramento State- 21 games
vs Cal Poly- 12 games
vs Northern Colorado- 9 games
vs UC Davis- 6 games

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 pm

2019 MONTANA STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

35-21 L Aug. 31 at Texas Tech
42-14 W Sept. 7 Southeast Missouri
31-21 W Sept. 14 at Western Illinois
32-10 W Sept. 21 Norfolk State
28-14 W Sept. 28 *Northern Arizona
24-21 W Oct. 5 *at Cal Poly
38-14 W Oct. 12 *Sacramento State
Oct. 19 Open
21-18 W Oct. 26 *at North Dakota
24-22 L Nov. 2 *Southern Utah
42-21 W Nov. 9 *at Northern Colorado
28-24 W Nov. 16 *at UC Davis
38-12 W Nov .23 *Montana

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Oct. 19 Open
38-12 W Nov .23 *Montana
That’s a hot take.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:22 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am
DaCats21 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

I bet ISU will have PSU and Weber just like they do now. MSU will have Montana and UNC, EWU will have PSU and UI and Montana will have UI and MSU.

Cal Poly- Sac & Davis
UC Davis- Sac and Poly
These are the correct rivals for each team, as was announced prior to the 2018 season by the Conference. It's a shame that Idaho and ISU won't play every year - maybe there could be a tweak of some kind to make this work.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:44 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Oct. 19 Open
38-12 W Nov .23 *Montana
That’s a hot take.
LOL

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am
DaCats21 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

Cal Poly- Sac & Davis
UC Davis- Sac and Poly
and how might all this change if Dixie St joins the Big Sky (Dixie would surely have a rivalry with SUU)
or
if several teams move to WAC and form a new FCS football conference.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Hero Sports has the Cats over/under for wins this year set at 9.5. Should be a good season!

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... u-jmu-bzbz

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am

Rich K wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am
This is crazy when you think about it! The number one returning scoring leader in FCS is being moved to defense! Can you imagine if the leading scorer at Alabama was moved to defense? I think this tells us how far our program has come... we can take our leading scorer and move him to defense because we still have capable weapons on offense like Ifanse, Jones, Jonson, Murray, Rovig, Sumner, etc!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Hero Sports has the Cats over/under for wins this year set at 9.5. Should be a good season!

Interesting. What are your thoughts on that number and our schedule? I've personally thought 9 wins is very reachable, with 8 being the floor, with that schedule. You never know what teams are going to rise and fall during a season, so I know it's tough to say "win this, lose that, etc" but we drew what would traditionally be the "easy" side of the BSC schedule, for sure.
Also, dovetailing the rivals discussion above, even though the schedule appears favorable, it's not, to a BSC and MSU "purist," going to feel like a normal/exciting fall inside the BSC for the Cats. No Weber, no EWU, no Idaho, no Idaho State. 3 California games. A strange schedule, to be sure.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Interesting. What are your thoughts on that number and our schedule? I've personally thought 9 wins is very reachable, with 8 being the floor, with that schedule. You never know what teams are going to rise and fall during a season, so I know it's tough to say "win this, lose that, etc" but we drew what would traditionally be the "easy" side of the BSC schedule, for sure.
Also, dovetailing the rivals discussion above, even though the schedule appears favorable, it's not, to a BSC and MSU "purist," going to feel like a normal/exciting fall inside the BSC for the Cats. No Weber, no EWU, no Idaho, no Idaho State. 3 California games. A strange schedule, to be sure.
Based on their dreams - it will take 10 wins to be in consideration for the BSC Champion. I agree and MSU should get 10.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am
This is crazy when you think about it! The number one returning scoring leader in FCS is being moved to defense! Can you imagine if the leading scorer at Alabama was moved to defense? I think this tells us how far our program has come... we can take our leading scorer and move him to defense because we still have capable weapons on offense like Ifanse, Jones, Jonson, Murray, Rovig, Sumner, etc!
yup, pretty nuts.

I definitely am a fan of the move, and think he will be even better at LB....

Man, this is one of those situations though, that makes a coach look like a genius or a complete idiot. You have a unanimous 1st team big sky QB, broke damn near every rushing record in a season there is.... and move him to LB. ha.

Now if TA crushes it at LB, which I think he will, then the coach looks like an absolute genius...…… but man, if it doesn't work out, yikes! the coach will just get ripped apart.

Gonna be a fun storyline to follow.... What if TA goes from 1st team QB, to a 1st team LB the next season...………. :shock: :shock: :shock: that would have to be one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the conference.

FTG- GO CATS GO!