2019 schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 schedule

Post by gtapp » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am
This is crazy when you think about it! The number one returning scoring leader in FCS is being moved to defense! Can you imagine if the leading scorer at Alabama was moved to defense? I think this tells us how far our program has come... we can take our leading scorer and move him to defense because we still have capable weapons on offense like Ifanse, Jones, Jonson, Murray, Rovig, Sumner, etc!
yup, pretty nuts.

I definitely am a fan of the move, and think he will be even better at LB....

Man, this is one of those situations though, that makes a coach look like a genius or a complete idiot. You have a unanimous 1st team big sky QB, broke damn near every rushing record in a season there is.... and move him to LB. ha.

Now if TA crushes it at LB, which I think he will, then the coach looks like an absolute genius...…… but man, if it doesn't work out, yikes! the coach will just get ripped apart.

Gonna be a fun storyline to follow.... What if TA goes from 1st team QB, to a 1st team LB the next season...………. :shock: :shock: :shock: that would have to be one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the conference.
And the history of DI football. Would be a great story.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Looking at the top half of last year's BSC teams’ 2019 BSC schedules;

• EWU; @um, @ISU, @CP, doesn’t play UCD, MSU, WSU….the other 3 BSC playoff teams…very favorable.
• UCD; gets WSU, um, MSU all at home and doesn’t have to play EWU…..their schedule lines up well.
• WSU; @UCD, @um, ISU & NAU at home, no EWU or MSU….so so schedule.
MSU; doesn’t have to play EWU or WSU, @UCD, um at home, @CP….easier than last year by far.
• ISU; @WSU, @um, host EWU, does not play UCD or MSU….not the easiest.
• um; @UCD, @MSU, they host EWU, WSU, ISU….they play the top 5 BSC teams from last year.
• CP; @WSU(non-conf), @UCD, they host MSU, EWU….all of last years BSC playoff teams.

o Since EWU doesn’t play any of the other 3 BSC playoff teams, I’m thinking they’re the favorites again.
o UCD with Maier back will be pretty salty as well. It appears their toughest games are all at home.
o WSU middle of the road schedule, should be at the top again in 2019.
o MSU’s @UCD game appears to be the toughest by far. The rest of the schedule is way easier than last year. Last year we were 5-3 so I would expect 6-2 this year as a floor along with another playoff appearance, hopefully to the quarter final round or beyond. =D^
o ISU; lost their playmaker QB & leading rusher…..with a so-so schedule likely won’t finish in the top 4.
o um; a very tough conference schedule & they have O & D line concerns…likely out of the playoffs again. :-({|=
o CP; to tough of a schedule to be too much of a threat to make any noise in the BSC.

As far as the CATS 2019 schedule it isn’t perfect but pretty close….11 FCS games plus a FBS $ game, with 6 home games. With the exception of @Texas Tech they are all very winnable….however I suspect @UCD along with either of our MVFC games of SEMO or @WIU may not go our way.

With our Unanimous All-Conference QB at LB, what could go wrong??? GO CATS! :D
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:38 pm
I'll tell ya what I like! The bye weekend matches up with opening day rifle! boom!
In 5 or 6 out of 7 years you'd be correct. However, since Thanksgiving is late this year (Nov 28th) opening day of rifle season is late as well and falls on Oct 26th. At least it's an away game. Maybe next year.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm
Looking at the top half of last year's BSC teams’ 2019 BSC schedules;

• EWU; @um, @ISU, @CP, doesn’t play UCD, MSU, WSU….the other 3 BSC playoff teams…very favorable.
• UCD; gets WSU, um, MSU all at home and doesn’t have to play EWU…..their schedule lines up well.
• WSU; @UCD, @um, ISU & NAU at home, no EWU or MSU….so so schedule.
MSU; doesn’t have to play EWU or WSU, @UCD, um at home, @CP….easier than last year by far.
• ISU; @WSU, @um, host EWU, does not play UCD or MSU….not the easiest.
• um; @UCD, @MSU, they host EWU, WSU, ISU….they play the top 5 BSC teams from last year.
• CP; @WSU(non-conf), @UCD, they host MSU, EWU….all of last years BSC playoff teams.

o Since EWU doesn’t play any of the other 3 BSC playoff teams, I’m thinking they’re the favorites again.
o UCD with Maier back will be pretty salty as well. It appears their toughest games are all at home.
o WSU middle of the road schedule, should be at the top again in 2019.
o MSU’s @UCD game appears to be the toughest by far. The rest of the schedule is way easier than last year. Last year we were 5-3 so I would expect 6-2 this year as a floor along with another playoff appearance, hopefully to the quarter final round or beyond. =D^
o ISU; lost their playmaker QB & leading rusher…..with a so-so schedule likely won’t finish in the top 4.
o um; a very tough conference schedule & they have O & D line concerns…likely out of the playoffs again. :-({|=
o CP; to tough of a schedule to be too much of a threat to make any noise in the BSC.

As far as the CATS 2019 schedule it isn’t perfect but pretty close….11 FCS games plus a FBS $ game, with 6 home games. With the exception of @Texas Tech they are all very winnable….however I suspect @UCD along with either of our MVFC games of SEMO or @WIU may not go our way.

With our Unanimous All-Conference QB at LB, what could go wrong??? GO CATS! :D
Good analysis. I agree with EWU being the front runner to win the Sky again. Not really due to their schedule though, but mainly because they're EWU. Great team, should contend for the national championship again.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:39 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am
This is crazy when you think about it! The number one returning scoring leader in FCS is being moved to defense! Can you imagine if the leading scorer at Alabama was moved to defense? I think this tells us how far our program has come... we can take our leading scorer and move him to defense because we still have capable weapons on offense like Ifanse, Jones, Jonson, Murray, Rovig, Sumner, etc!
yup, pretty nuts.

I definitely am a fan of the move, and think he will be even better at LB....

Man, this is one of those situations though, that makes a coach look like a genius or a complete idiot. You have a unanimous 1st team big sky QB, broke damn near every rushing record in a season there is.... and move him to LB. ha.

Now if TA crushes it at LB, which I think he will, then the coach looks like an absolute genius...…… but man, if it doesn't work out, yikes! the coach will just get ripped apart.

Gonna be a fun storyline to follow.... What if TA goes from 1st team QB, to a 1st team LB the next season...………. :shock: :shock: :shock: that would have to be one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the conference.
And the history of DI football. Would be a great story.
Looked into it briefly...Looks like Champ Baily is the closest I could find...All American at WR and DB..

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Until this team hits the field, enough has changed that I wouldn't take anything for granted. We should be better given the schedule but for all we know the BSC flips and we just can't get the right intensity/execution going with all the new pieces. And I just don't see us blowing teams out of the water unless there is some kind of revelation at QB so there will probably be 1 or 2 we lose that we shouldn't.

I'm super excited though and think this will be a great bunch of kids to watch!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Hero Sports has the Cats over/under for wins this year set at 9.5. Should be a good season!

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... u-jmu-bzbz
Interesting. What are your thoughts on that number and our schedule? I've personally thought 9 wins is very reachable, with 8 being the floor, with that schedule. You never know what teams are going to rise and fall during a season, so I know it's tough to say "win this, lose that, etc" but we drew what would traditionally be the "easy" side of the BSC schedule, for sure.
Also, dovetailing the rivals discussion above, even though the schedule appears favorable, it's not, to a BSC and MSU "purist," going to feel like a normal/exciting fall inside the BSC for the Cats. No Weber, no EWU, no Idaho, no Idaho State. 3 California games. A strange schedule, to be sure.
The Big Sky always has a surprise team each year. Remember when PSU came out of nowhere and made the playoffs just 2 or 3 years ago. ISU and Davis are legit contenders all of sudden. So hard to predict, but I see the Cats getting at least 8 wins during the regular season and a berth in the playoffs. I actually expect an appearance in the semifinals this year. I think we have the potential to be that good this year! Just need a little luck avoiding injuries and solid play at QB. Gonna be a fun year to follow!

I also have no concern about the makeup of the schedule. Probably just me, but I would watch the Cats play Bozeman High. The schedule is all D1 and every game has meaning as you need 7 wins to make the playoffs, maybe even 8 wins next year with a 12 game schedule in the FCS.