Choate Receives an Extension

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate Receives an Extension

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm

mslacatfan wrote:=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

yup, heard the same thing- that Choate turned down an offer for another position (one that would have been a significant pay increase).... I think these next couple years are going to be a special time for MSU football!
Had to be Oregon State due to his Petersen connections and Jonathon Smith taking over the HC job there, IMO.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Cledus wrote:Choate is Peter Fields's best hire. There's not even a close second.
Wasn’t there some talk that Peter wanted to go a different direction but everyone on the hiring committee insisted on choate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Cledus wrote:Choate is Peter Fields's best hire. There's not even a close second.
Wasn’t there some talk that Peter wanted to go a different direction but everyone on the hiring committee insisted on choate?

I have no idea on the particulars. What you're saying sounds consistent with the Pete Fields we knew throughout the years who was extraordinarily bad at picking coaches and fired almost every coach he hired.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Fields wanted one of the assistant coaches from Missouri. Before that went any further, that coach decided to stay at Missouri after the coaching change there.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 am

The title of this thread...dang!!!!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am

This was a great decision. Watching the press conference about recruiting between both uM and MSU is a study of stark contrast. Choate is on fire...Bobby...well, he tries to be cute. We have a rising star, they have a used to be.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 am

catsrback76 wrote:This was a great decision. Watching the press conference about recruiting between both uM and MSU is a study of stark contrast. Choate is on fire...Bobby...well, he tries to be cute. We have a rising star, they have a used to be.
I noticed that too. Stark contrast when I watched the two. But I also watched the Scott frost presser and it wasn't anything special.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Cledus wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I have no idea on the particulars. What you're saying sounds consistent with the Pete Fields we knew throughout the years who was extraordinarily bad at picking coaches and fired almost every coach he hired.
I think 'extraordinarily bad' is quite an overstatement there. Ash and Choate were both very good hires for football (I don't recall if Fields was at MSU yet when Kramer was hired after the '99 season). Binford has been a great hire for WBB, and her predecessor Robin Potera won back-to-back Big Sky titles before things went off the rails with the issues that led to her firing. Huse was a disaster for MBB, although to be fair the MSU alumni and fan base were almost unanimously in support of his hiring when it happened. The jury is still out on Fish, as he has improved the program substantially from where it was when he took over but still hasn't been able to get MSU over the hump to become a legitimate conference title contender against the likes of UM and Weber. Volleyball went way downhill after Dave Gantt left and there were a couple very very questionable coaching hires there. I don't know enough about the other sports to comment on other coaching hires.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Choate Receives an Extension

Post by imacat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm

I am glad Coach Choate was given an extension BUT this statement is premature. His first year record was the worst in 14 seasons and last year’s 5 wins tied for the fewest in that time span.

I believe year three is when you really begin to get a feel for how successful a coach will be.

If we are going to judge a coaching hire on “potential” than Huse would have been an outstanding hire after his second season. Most of the fan base (including me) was very excited about the future of the MB program under his guidance.

I will root hard and support the program but I am not ready to form a definitive opinion on how good a hire this was.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 pm

catsrback76 wrote:This was a great decision. Watching the press conference about recruiting between both uM and MSU is a study of stark contrast. Choate is on fire...Bobby...well, he tries to be cute. We have a rising star, they have a used to be.

I started to watch the griz signing day presser and Hauck is soo monotone and emotion less it was painful. Choate has everything going his way except in the win column. 3 years is too short of a time for any coach to come in and change a culture. I am one of the fans that said we needed a culture change and from what I see coming out of the players on the field I would say it has changed. I’m a fan of choate and the program BUT it’s time for close games to become wins.

Coach Choate, It’s time to prove you deserved the extension beyond Cat griz. Let’s see a winning record, prove those of us that support your ways are right and prove you earned the contract on the field. You have 100% shown you deserve it off the field and in recruiting now prove it on the field for an entire season with wins.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm

catgrad05 wrote:

I started to watch the griz signing day presser and Hauck is soo monotone and emotion less it was painful. Choate has everything going his way except in the win column. 3 years is too short of a time for any coach to come in and change a culture. I am one of the fans that said we needed a culture change and from what I see coming out of the players on the field I would say it has changed. I’m a fan of choate and the program BUT it’s time for close games to become wins.

Coach Choate, It’s time to prove you deserved the extension beyond Cat griz. Let’s see a winning record, prove those of us that support your ways are right and prove you earned the contract on the field. You have 100% shown you deserve it off the field and in recruiting now prove it on the field for an entire season with wins.
Same thoughts as those expressed. Choate is very good at recruiting. I had no idea how much it has changed until he became the head coach. Love his passion about MSU and getting players to commit. This season is "show me the money" time. No excuses about not having a franchise QB in the ranks. Time to start hitting on all cylinders with game management. Lots of talent which great to see. Exciting times to be a Bobcat fan.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 am

Congratulations MSU & Choate on working out this extension. Choate deserved it & Costello was smart to wrap this up quickly.

Now let's go win the Big Sky in 2018!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 am

The schedule seems lighter this season. Last year three of six losses were to teams that won two playoff games. All by narrow margins. Another to a playoff qualifier, by one point, and one to Washington State. The “worst” team to beat MSU was Eastern.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 am

TomCat88 wrote:The schedule seems lighter this season. Last year three of six losses were to teams that won two playoff games. All by narrow margins. Another to a playoff qualifier, by one point, and one to Washington State. The “worst” team to beat MSU was Eastern.
Great point, many look at the record and that is all they see. We swap schedules with a few teams and we
could’ve been playoff bound.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 am

Could’ve been playoff bound anyway with just a few plays here and there.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 am

TomCat88 wrote:The schedule seems lighter this season. Last year three of six losses were to teams that won two playoff games. All by narrow margins. Another to a playoff qualifier, by one point, and one to Washington State. The “worst” team to beat MSU was Eastern.
Never thought I would see this comment and us have not made the playoffs! :shock:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

utucats wrote:
Great point, many look at the record and that is all they see. We swap schedules with a few teams and we
I thought this thread would get more traction than it did because I feel people would have felt much better about the season.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42239

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 pm

PapaG wrote:
utucats wrote:
I thought this thread would get more traction than it did because I feel people would have felt much better about the season.

It was a good thread and a great point you made. We are already a really good team. Our record was a product of a very tough schedule and not an accurate representation of where we are currently. Thankfully our AD gets that and made the wise decision to get Choate a much deserved extension. With a light schedule we probably make the playoffs but lose out in a competitive game against a top FCS squad. I’m fine with us having the path we did as I believe it will pay dividends in the long run. Although, Choate is a recruiting master already, imagine what he could do with the steam of a playoff run behind him :shock:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 pm

utucats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
utucats wrote:

It was a good thread and a great point you made. We are already a really good team. Our record was a product of a very tough schedule and not an accurate representation of where we are currently. Thankfully our AD gets that and made the wise decision to get Choate a much deserved extension. With a light schedule we probably make the playoffs but lose out in a competitive game against a top FCS squad. I’m fine with us having the path we did as I believe it will pay dividends in the long run. Although, Choate is a recruiting master already, imagine what he could do with the steam of a playoff run behind him :shock:
I, for one, really liked our schedule this past season. Tougher opponents condition you to compete at a higher level.

I'm a little disappointed with the 2019 schedule. I think this squad and coaching staff are capable of handling tougher opponents. A MEAC team on the schedule is a little strange for us. I can't believe they're the best we could do.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm

So, you're thinkin we should easily blow through this schedule and make the playoffs, but might nt be battle tested enough to go deep in the playoffs?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!