Choate Receives an Extension

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Choate Receives an Extension

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/2/8/msu ... hoate.aspx

I heard rumblings that Choate received a Pac-12 Defensive Coordinator offer this offseason and he turned it down. The only way he will consider moving up to FBS is if he gets a shot as a Power 5 head coach. But mostly he wants to be here and see this thing through.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Choate Receives an Extension

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:12 am

VimSince03 wrote:http://msubobcats.com/news/2018/2/8/msu ... hoate.aspx

I heard rumblings that Choate received a Pac-12 Defensive Coordinator offer this offseason and he turned it down. The only way he will consider moving up to FBS is if he gets a shot as a Power 5 head coach. But mostly he wants to be here and see this thing through.
In one of the signing day articles, a commit said something like "Coach turned down bigger offers to stay here", and I was surprised it wasn't discussed on here, but that confirms it.

The jury is still out on his ability to win conference championships and take us to the playoffs, but I absolutely love the way his teams play and where the program seems to be headed. He deserves time to fully implement his culture and see what he can do.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

yup, heard the same thing- that Choate turned down an offer for another position (one that would have been a significant pay increase).... I think these next couple years are going to be a special time for MSU football!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:16 am

Excellent news.....and I believe it is a very good move on Costello's part.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 am

I wonder what the definition of "see this through" is? Is it back to back BSC championship, making deep playoff runs, at least the third round, multiple times, or is it NCAA Championship or bust? I like what he is doing with the program, yes the W-L might be in the wrong columns to this point, but I think fans can see and feel that will change.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

Keep Choate and staff on board for MSU is huge He's a great guy, and an awesome coach. We are very fortunate to have him as our dude.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

Awesome news!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am

CelticCat wrote:

In one of the signing day articles, a commit said something like "Coach turned down bigger offers to stay here", and I was surprised it wasn't discussed on here, but that confirms it.

The jury is still out on his ability to win conference championships and take us to the playoffs, but I absolutely love the way his teams play and where the program seems to be headed. He deserves time to fully implement his culture and see what he can do.
Great post. Yes we all know, and I'm sure coach Choate would say the same thing, he hasn't proven anything yet. But, I think we all have a feeling where this thing is going. The fact that we were able to compete with some of the best teams in the FCS last year while playing a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids speaks volumes.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

Good move. It brings a sense of stability to the program and that everyone involved is #ridingforthebrand. I'm guessing that the extension is actually 3 one year contracts for those that will we worried about that sort of thing.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

I wonder if Jory signing already also weighed into it.

I am very happy he is sticking around and am excited to see the results on the field in the near future. We appear loaded for bears. =D^

MTBluesCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTBluesCAT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 am

This is Great new! =D^ =D^

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Glad he still here and I am excited about how our program is moving forward. It will still be a battle to win this conference. For us to go up someone has to go down and I don’t see Idaho, Weber State, Eastern, Montana(they will be better) or Sac State going anywhere.

Who can get better faster? Hopefully it is us

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Waded and Leon just made me a lot happier with them. Jeff is the man and we're damn lucky to have him.
Last edited by PHAT CAT on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunyon37
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grunyon37 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 pm

I wonder what the definition of "see this through" is? Is it back to back BSC championship, making deep playoff runs, at least the third round, multiple times, or is it NCAA Championship or bust?
Minimum 8-peat...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Interesting - I assume the offer was at Oregon State with Jonathan Smith since they worked together at Washington and were both also at Boise with Chris Petersen although not at the same time. Congrats to Coach Choate on a well-deserved extension!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm

I remember when he hired on here he said that the college experience at this level is better for the student athlete than at FBS schools.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 pm

https://twitter.com/TheeSonOfMan/status/961689184997064704

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Choate is Peter Fields's best hire. There's not even a close second.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 pm

MSU01 wrote:

Interesting - I assume the offer was at Oregon State with Jonathan Smith since they worked together at Washington and were both also at Boise with Chris Petersen although not at the same time. Congrats to Coach Choate on a well-deserved extension!
You're probably right but another team that came to mind was TCU, If only because those horned frogers have been rumored
to have been trying to poach talent from our program for years now. :-^

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:You're probably right but another team that came to mind was TCU, If only because those horned frogers have been rumored to have been trying to poach talent from our program for years now. :-^
Not to nitpick, but I thought it was Texas Tech.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.