Spring Ball '18

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball '18

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm

iaafan wrote:Anyone seen how Sal Aguilar, Keaton Anderson, and James Campbell are progressing? Aguilar was first team All Trinity and Mater Dei defense MVP. Anderson was Vim’s #1 Montana player. Campbell was first team all state in Florida.
+1 on Keaton Anderson..... I have been waiting for someone to even mention his name (since he joined the team last year). He was pretty hyped up by a lot of people coming out of High School?.... granted he is still young, and only a redshirt frosh.... anyway, hopefully he can make some noise this year.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:17 pm

https://twitter.com/303Gonzo/status/981000651642564609

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
iaafan wrote:Anyone seen how Sal Aguilar, Keaton Anderson, and James Campbell are progressing? Aguilar was first team All Trinity and Mater Dei defense MVP. Anderson was Vim’s #1 Montana player. Campbell was first team all state in Florida.
+1 on Keaton Anderson..... I have been waiting for someone to even mention his name (since he joined the team last year). He was pretty hyped up by a lot of people coming out of High School?.... granted he is still young, and only a redshirt frosh.... anyway, hopefully he can make some noise this year.
Testament to the depth MSU is building.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/303Gonzo/status/981000651642564609

Holy smokes 6-5 245lbs. If true, that would make one heck of a linebacker corps.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:

Holy smokes 6-5 245lbs. If true, that would make one heck of a linebacker corps.
Sparaco Decides to Transfer From CU
https://247sports.com/college/colorado/ ... -116949871
After spending 15 months in Boulder, Dante Sparaco decided he wants to transfer to a different program.

Sparaco was an early enrollee at Colorado last spring and he played in seven games as a true freshman before a hand injury sidelined him.

Sparaco began spring practices this year working primarily with the first-team defense at outside linebacker, but by the end of spring ball, fellow true sophomore Jacob Callier and redshirt freshman Carson Wells were demanding a bulk of the reps with the first-group.

"Dante is a fine young man and we wish him well with his future endeavors," Buffs head coach Mike MacIntyre said in a released statement.

Sparaco informed MacIntyre of the decision he had reached after talking it over with his family during spring break.

When Sparaco joins his new college program this summer, it will be the sixth football team he has practiced with in five years. As a prep star, he spent time at Glenwood Springs High School, Pomona, Cherry Creek and IMG Academy.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Oh, and by the way, Dante Sparaco is also a former QB. Is anybody still keeping track of all the Bobcats with QB experience?

https://247sports.com/college/football/ ... -105103073
6'4 218 lbs is a good sized quarterback in the NFL, and is just about unheard of amongst freshman in high school, but that is how big Dante Sparaco is. The rising sophomore will be the starting QB at Glenwood Springs HS this year, and has a good chance to put up some prolific numbers during his HS career. Sparaco alredy displays some of the tools necessary to be a big time college prospect.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Rich K wrote:Oh, and by the way, Dante Sparaco is also a former QB. Is anybody still keeping track of all the Bobcats with QB experience?

https://247sports.com/college/football/ ... -105103073
6'4 218 lbs is a good sized quarterback in the NFL, and is just about unheard of amongst freshman in high school, but that is how big Dante Sparaco is. The rising sophomore will be the starting QB at Glenwood Springs HS this year, and has a good chance to put up some prolific numbers during his HS career. Sparaco alredy displays some of the tools necessary to be a big time college prospect.

Quite a few in the linebacking corps alone.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 am

Dino Sparaco's kid. Welcome a board young buck.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:00 am

AFCAT wrote:

Sounds like a Buck to me.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:02 am

TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Exactly!

If we can get to a point where only a select few kids are playing as freshman and redshirt freshman, that's a very good thing. Ideally some of these kids don't start until they're a Junior or Senior, because of the talent ahead of them. That makes for good football teams.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:16 am

Sparaco’s Dad played here. Dante is 3-star on 247, ESPN and Rivals. Toby Neinas, who was at MSU coaching, recruited Sparaco to Colorado.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
As of right now, Keaton is competing in the secondary. As far as safeties go, Jojo Henderson, Dre Jackson, Luke May, Shawn Borges (walk-on from last fall), Keaton, and Brian Campbell are all competing for their spot on the two deep. Keaton can also work at corner. It isn't like Keaton has lost his athleticism or the ability to play football. He needed a few years to get bigger when he arrived on campus and he unfortunately missed a lot of last fall with a nagging injury. He is back to full health this spring and is getting chances to work with the 1's and 2's on defense. Keaton should be a solid special teamer this fall and provide good depth in the secondary. There will be a healthy dose of competition at safety over the next few years and that is never a bad thing for a talented athlete like Keaton. Obviously at this point, Troy Andersen is the #1 recruit coming out of that 2017 Montana class but I ranked Keaton #1 based off his future ability to be a difference maker at free safety or somewhere in the secondary for the Cats. Rarely do recruits do what Troy did last year...keep that in mind.

Speaking of Shawn Borges, I noticed Colter said he has been steady at safety this spring. Shawn is small for the position but hits hard and plays very aggressive from what I've been told. He was a standout scout teamer last year on defense and I get a feeling he is going to be another one of those "walk-on to all-big sky" stories before its all said and done.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am

VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
As of right now, Keaton is competing in the secondary. As far as safeties go, Jojo Henderson, Dre Jackson, Luke May, Shawn Borges (walk-on from last fall), Keaton, and Brian Campbell are all competing for their spot on the two deep. Keaton can also work at corner. It isn't like Keaton has lost his athleticism or the ability to play football. He needed a few years to get bigger when he arrived on campus and he unfortunately missed a lot of last fall with a nagging injury. He is back to full health this spring and is getting chances to work with the 1's and 2's on defense. Keaton should be a solid special teamer this fall and provide good depth in the secondary. There will be a healthy dose of competition at safety over the next few years and that is never a bad thing for a talented athlete like Keaton. Obviously at this point, Troy Andersen is the #1 recruit coming out of that 2017 Montana class but I ranked Keaton #1 based off his future ability to be a difference maker at free safety or somewhere in the secondary for the Cats. Rarely do recruits do what Troy did last year...keep that in mind.

Speaking of Shawn Borges, I noticed Colter said he has been steady at safety this spring. Shawn is small for the position but hits hard and plays very aggressive from what I've been told. He was a standout scout teamer last year on defense and I get a feeling he is going to be another one of those "walk-on to all-big sky" stories before its all said and done.
Borges is a bit undersized at 5'10, but Retioriano was only like 5'9, and I think Bethley didn't crack 6'. So it can be done!

Also Colter said Choate has been pretty high on Campbell this spring. Understands the defense and where to be, so he can play faster because he knows where to go. He's 6'2 195 so has some good size to.

I was concerned about safety initially but I think we will be in good hands. Especially if our front 7 can get to the QB with the upgrades we've made in this area.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:57 am

CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Borges is a bit undersized at 5'10, but Retioriano was only like 5'9, and I think Bethley didn't crack 6'. So it can be done!

Also Colter said Choate has been pretty high on Campbell this spring. Understands the defense and where to be, so he can play faster because he knows where to go. He's 6'2 195 so has some good size to.

I was concerned about safety initially but I think we will be in good hands. Especially if our front 7 can get to the QB with the upgrades we've made in this area.
I didn't necessarily mean height but weight as well (180 lbs.). Regardless, I wasn't implying it should be considered a weakness. There is a long list of great safeties from every level of football that were considered "undersized" during their playing years. The #1 characteristic I want from a safety: understand that you are the last line of defense and display that attitude on the field. Shawn has the attitude part already which bodes well for his future.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 am

I am curious if any of you that have been able to attend any of the practices this spring have any ideas who might be named as captains?

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Rich K wrote:I am curious if any of you that have been able to attend any of the practices this spring have any ideas who might be named as captains?
If I remember right, Coach Choate likes to have his captains decided at fall camp.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 am

One of the biggest changes I have noticed after watching some of the videos of practice (I follow MSU football on almost all social media) is snaps from under center. For the last six seasons, maybe more, except for the victory formation, all snaps have come in shotgun or pistol formation. This is a move towards power football. With a big back like Big Bacon theyre gonna let him get a full head of steam to hit the holes. I like it! =D^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am

Team10 wrote:One of the biggest changes I have noticed after watching some of the videos of practice (I follow MSU football on almost all social media) is snaps from under center. For the last six seasons, maybe more, except for the victory formation, all snaps have come in shotgun or pistol formation. This is a move towards power football. With a big back like Big Bacon theyre gonna let him get a full head of steam to hit the holes. I like it! =D^
Agreed.....

With the loss of Jabarri, I would expect to see a lot of triple option this year.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 am

Team10 wrote:One of the biggest changes I have noticed after watching some of the videos of practice (I follow MSU football on almost all social media) is snaps from under center. For the last six seasons, maybe more, except for the victory formation, all snaps have come in shotgun or pistol formation. This is a move towards power football. With a big back like Big Bacon theyre gonna let him get a full head of steam to hit the holes. I like it! =D^
Good catch, I did not notice this. I actually like this as well. Playing the QB under center gives you certain advantages and it was noticeable in the Kennesaw State game. We would get some good d-line push and looked like we finally stopped/stuffed their triple option and I started clapping in my living room. Then I look and the tv says 2nd and 6, I was like how the hell was that a 4 yard gain? I would rewind it and sure enough the qb handed the ball off half a yard behind the LOS, the rb would get hit after 2 yards and fall forward for 1 or 2 more, happened the entire damn game. It is nice when the RB only has to run 5 and a half yards to gain 5 yards instead of 9 yards to gain 5. There are some obvious advantages of running out of shotgun as well, and it seems like exchanges and timing are more of an issue under center but working on it in the spring could pay big dividends.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 am

Hadley hopes potential can turn into production
https://skylinesportsmt.com/hadley-hope ... roduction/

To subscribe and read this story, click here:
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/