Who had the better class? UM or MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Who had the better class? UM or MSU?

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Embrace Debate!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Who had the better class? UM or MSU?

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 pm

We will know in about three years. I think we have the better overall class. The Griz think they kicked our butt with MT players. I do not agree as I think the kids we signed are really close. They may have an edge. But, overall I think the Cats have the stronger class. Not saying the Griz did not have a good one. I feel they did good but the Cats did better.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Scary good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:Scary good.

If you don’t think this class is “scary good” I’d suggest you don’t know squat about squat.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Athletically the two classes look to be pretty close and as others have said time will tell in 3 - 5 years.

From a totally different perspective: the classiness of these two classes coming in is also pretty close.
Fortunately for the young men who are coming to MSU if they will just follow the lead of coach Choate
they stand a great chance of remaining and increasing their classiness in the years to come.
Sad but true those headed to the other school if they hope to remain classy they will have to resist the lead of their coach.

My neighbor, a Griz fan and 27 year season ticket holder didn't even disagree when we talked about that last night.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm

As others have said we will see in a few years but there are more ways to look at the relative worth of a recruiting class. It isn't just which team got the better athletes although that is a big part. It also comes down to which class filled their needs best and that is hard for an outsider to judge for sure. I haven't looked at the Griz recruiting class in detail but it looks like they loaded up on the Oline and Dline. The Oline wasn't as big a need for us and that was reflected in our class. It is therefor hard to compare classes. I think that both fan base are going to be very excited about their guys. If history tells us anything, by this time next year we will have forgotten about at least 50% of this class, never to think about them again. I just hope that we get the better end of the deal with the 50% that do contribute. When I look at our immediate needs I think that we did very well. We got a pass rusher. I thought we needed an upgrade at WR and we got that. I also thought we needed more depth at RB and we definitely got that. You can never have enough cover guys and we got that. I also thought that we also got quality interior DL which is hard to do. So I am very excited about this group.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

It's pretty easy. From my totally unbiased view, we beaten soundly again this year.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 pm

allcat wrote:It's pretty easy. From my totally unbiased view, we beaten soundly again this year.
Is that supposed to be an m? or are you not feeling this class? :-k

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 am

technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:It's pretty easy. From my totally unbiased view, we beaten soundly again this year.
Is that supposed to be an m? or are you not feeling this class? :-k
Like all classes there will be a few hickups, but ultimately we will prevail. It also shows that when you don't proof read, you can post unintended consequences. My actual reference was to winning the game soundly and then also winning this battle soundly. :oops:

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 am

With the recruiting classes not being equal as far as positions that were recruited, a better way to look at this if everyone really wants to be critical is compare by position. I'll let someone else do the leg work of putting that together, then I'll put my wager down.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 am

Make no mistake, Choate & company cleaned up with this recruiting class. We landed just four 3-star recruits out of high school, ladies & gentlemen. The griz landed one out of high school.

The only MT kid that we lost out to the griz on was Sulser outta Billings. But there was really no chance at landing him to begin with. Griz fans may argue we wanted the Quick OL outta Capital, and that may be true. But I'm not sure how bad the Cats really wanted him.

Winterburn outta Helena & Askelson outta Senior will both be valuable MT kids down the road that Hauck lost out on. Choate also stole OL McElroy outta Loyola from Hauck's backyard.

Hauck did sign quite a few MT kids though. But these look to be overrated western MT, Missoula fanboy kids. The level of talent & ability of this group is questionable. Although I give Hauck credit for going back to the MT base.

Hauck also decided to dip back into his AZ & NV recruiting pools, which he had some luck with 10 years ago.

But it appears Choate & crew have almost completely taken over the WA recruiting pool, which is HUGE.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 pm

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:Make no mistake, Choate & company cleaned up with this recruiting class. We landed just four 3-star recruits out of high school, ladies & gentlemen. The griz landed one out of high school.

The only MT kid that we lost out to the griz on was Sulser outta Billings. But there was really no chance at landing him to begin with. Griz fans may argue we wanted the Quick OL outta Capital, and that may be true. But I'm not sure how bad the Cats really wanted him.

Winterburn outta Helena & Askelson outta Senior will both be valuable MT kids down the road that Hauck lost out on. Choate also stole OL McElroy outta Loyola from Hauck's backyard.

Hauck did sign quite a few MT kids though. But these look to be overrated western MT, Missoula fanboy kids. The level of talent & ability of this group is questionable. Although I give Hauck credit for going back to the MT base.

Hauck also decided to dip back into his AZ & NV recruiting pools, which he had some luck with 10 years ago.

But it appears Choate & crew have almost completely taken over the WA recruiting pool, which is HUGE.
Overrated, Western MT, Missoula fanboys?

Come on... they have some pretty good Mt recruits and if they had come here instead you wouldn’t be saying that. These are 17 & 18 year old kids, let’s stay away from the immature name calling.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Make no mistake, Choate & company cleaned up with this recruiting class. We landed just four 3-star recruits out of high school, ladies & gentlemen. The griz landed one out of high school.

The Griz landed three 3-star players and one player (Milton Mamula) is a 3-star in my book. Relatively even. We didn't get the DE recruits we wanted. They didn't get the CB recruits.

We lost out on Garrett Graves, Nick Germer, and Drew Turner. The Turner situation came down to RB recruiting overall for the Cats and how much scholarship money they wanted to offer him. They didn't bring it to the table and Griz did. We were never going to get Nick but that doesn't mean the Cats didn't extend an offer (they did). Graves was very high on Choate's in-state recruiting board and wanted to be an engineer. Bob Stitt did an excellent job of convincing Garrett to go to UM despite Garrett's future career aspirations. It also helped that his mother is a Griz alumni. Other than that, the Bobcats either didn't extend an offer or offered less than the Griz on the rest of the recruits. The Bobcats never offered Conor Quick.

You are correct. Hauck took a final run at Kaleb and Nolan before the December signing period. We didn't really steal Joe despite him living in Missoula. His entire family is Bobcat. Wanted to be a Cat forever.

Hauck did sign quite a few MT kids though. Although I give Hauck credit for going back to the MT base.

Stitt did most of the heavy lifting with the Montana kids in the 2018 Griz recruiting class. Bobby upped a few more offers with kids like Levi Janacaro and Max Morris.

But these look to be overrated western MT, Missoula fanboy kids. The level of talent & ability of this group is questionable.

This a baseless, arrogant claim that shouldn't be posted on this board. They are high school kids. Sure, you can say that some of them maybe didn't deserve a partial but don't claim they are overrated while questioning their talent.

Stitt consistently took kids out of Arizona and Nevada during his three years with the Griz.

This might be Choate's biggest accomplishment since taking over as head coach. The Washington pipeline will pay dividends sooner than later.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:Make no mistake, Choate & company cleaned up with this recruiting class. We landed just four 3-star recruits out of high school, ladies & gentlemen. The griz landed one out of high school.

I am glad Vim already pointed out the inaccuracies in your post, and man were there a lot of them. Better luck next time.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Grizaddict wrote:

I am glad Vim already pointed out the inaccuracies in your post, and man were there a lot of them. Better luck next time.
I’m glad you’re glad

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Team10

Post by Team10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Hauck did sign quite a few MT kids though. Although I give Hauck credit for going back to the MT base.
Stitt did most of the heavy lifting with the Montana kids in the 2018 Griz recruiting class. Bobby upped a few more offers with kids like Levi Janacaro and Max Morris.
Everyone in the state of Montana knows that the first order of business for Hauck is to try and claim that um IS Montana, blah blah blah. He did that by increaseing a few offers to entice kids to commit giving the perception that Hauck is the best recruiter in the state, blah blah blah. Both sides signed the players they were after, with Sulser being the one exception, which again everyone knew wasn't going to happen. Next years in-state recruiting will probably be a little more scrappy depending on talent and team needs. For now, I'm really looking forward to the product this staff puts on the field next season.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm

The two in state Griz in this class I would've liked most to have gotten on our side are; Graves and Turner.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Team10 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Hauck did sign quite a few MT kids though. Although I give Hauck credit for going back to the MT base.
Everyone in the state of Montana knows that the first order of business for Hauck is to try and claim that um IS Montana, blah blah blah. He did that by increaseing a few offers to entice kids to commit giving the perception that Hauck is the best recruiter in the state, blah blah blah. Both sides signed the players they were after, with Sulser being the one exception, which again everyone knew wasn't going to happen. Next years in-state recruiting will probably be a little more scrappy depending on talent and team needs. For now, I'm really looking forward to the product this staff puts on the field next season.
I'm real excited about the cats team for next year. I think there is a better than 50% chance that the cats can be a .500 team next year.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:The two in state Griz in this class I would've liked most to have gotten on our side are; Graves and Turner.
Sulser is a stud, tough to deny that. Is there chance he doesn't live up to his potential... Desin, Daum, etc.? Yep. I think it's more likely he ends up being more like Troy Anderson, just not as good. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Placidlakegriz wrote:
Team10 wrote:
I'm real excited about the cats team for next year. I think there is a better than 50% chance that the cats can be a .500 team next year.
Very likely the Cats are a playoff team in 2018. =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!