Who had the better class? UM or MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who had the better class? UM or MSU?

Post by technoCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:who knows what will happen with Sulser.... at this point, yes, he looks absolutely incredible. Ya never know how its going to play out though. He might be the next Mariani.... or the next Dalten Daum (who was just about equally as hyped up).... or somewhere in middle.

Montana kids are always such a crap shoot. For some random reason, it seems like the least hyped up MT kids (walk ons) are usually the most productive, which makes zero sense. And in some cases turn into all-time greats! Chad Newell, Caleb Schreibeis, Colt Anderson, Marc Mariani..... the list goes on and on.

Always fun to see how it plays out after a couple years.
Just to be a smart ass, I bet the Daly brothers and Tanner Bleskin would like a word with you! lol
ha.

bobby daly.... I didn't realize he was a walk on? crazy!
Brad Daly.... technically he was a scholly out of highschool.... then had to walk on when he rejoined the team.
Bleskin... was he a walk on? If so, that is pretty solid considering he owns damn near every single receiving record there is at MSU.
No I was picking on your comment that the best instate kids are the least hyped lol. @Mickster pretty sure that Daly and either Kirk or Newell(or both) were not walk ons.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:08 pm

technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
technoCat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:who knows what will happen with Sulser.... at this point, yes, he looks absolutely incredible. Ya never know how its going to play out though. He might be the next Mariani.... or the next Dalten Daum (who was just about equally as hyped up).... or somewhere in middle.

Montana kids are always such a crap shoot. For some random reason, it seems like the least hyped up MT kids (walk ons) are usually the most productive, which makes zero sense. And in some cases turn into all-time greats! Chad Newell, Caleb Schreibeis, Colt Anderson, Marc Mariani..... the list goes on and on.

Always fun to see how it plays out after a couple years.
Just to be a smart ass, I bet the Daly brothers and Tanner Bleskin would like a word with you! lol
ha.

bobby daly.... I didn't realize he was a walk on? crazy!
Brad Daly.... technically he was a scholly out of highschool.... then had to walk on when he rejoined the team.
Bleskin... was he a walk on? If so, that is pretty solid considering he owns damn near every single receiving record there is at MSU.
No I was picking on your comment that the best instate kids are the least hyped lol. @Mickster pretty sure that Daly and either Kirk or Newell(or both) were not walk ons.
Cody Kirk and Chad Newell were both walk-ons. I'm not sure if Brad was a full-ride out of high school but I believe he received scholarship money.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Hard saying who had the better class at this time, like others have said, time will tell.
I will say that the Griz got the “stars” in this class, Sulser, Graves, Turner, Janacaro. While MSU got the “underdogs” who I think have a very high ceiling compared to where they were recruited, such as Pickering, Choate, Allred.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:Hard saying who had the better class at this time, like others have said, time will tell.
I will say that the Griz got the “stars” in this class, Sulser, Graves, Turner, Janacaro. While MSU got the “underdogs” who I think have a very high ceiling compared to where they were recruited, such as Pickering, Choate, Allred.
This thread is about the entire class, not just the in-state players.

MSU got plenty of "stars," including 8 players with 3* each. :wink:

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Take it for what it's worth. 247Sports ranks MSU's recruiting class at 131 in all Div 1 and I think 3rd best class in FCS.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

rivercat wrote:Take it for what it's worth. 247Sports ranks MSU's recruiting class at 131 in all Div 1 and I think 3rd best class in FCS.

Just checked it. The two above us are Princeton and Yale. NDSU is below us.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 pm

rivercat wrote:Take it for what it's worth. 247Sports ranks MSU's recruiting class at 131 in all Div 1 and I think 3rd best class in FCS.

It's cool to see that, but like you said, take it for what it's worth. They only have 12 of MSU's 28 recruits even listed as a part of their class.

Curious what Hero will come out with in the next week or so, but I'm sure it'll be more of the same.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Surprised Yale was rated higher than the rest of FCS. I guess scholarships are the real catch for FCS.

And oh yeah, best in BSC including UI.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Well...we don't have current players tweeting their displeasure at new players, so I'll say that gives us a leg up.

Seriously though, that's not a good move by either party. Handle things in house.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Well...we don't have current players tweeting their displeasure at new players, so I'll say that gives us a leg up.

Seriously though, that's not a good move by either party. Handle things in house.
I saw that, pretty interesting. Probably nothing, still an odd choice to put out there for everyone to see.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Well...we don't have current players tweeting their displeasure at new players, so I'll say that gives us a leg up.

What happened?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

91catAlum wrote:

What happened?
Couple UM players on Twitter. Dalton Sneed transfer QB from Unlv and senior LB Josh Buss.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am

91catAlum wrote:

What happened?
Dalton Sneed (transfer QB) appeared to miss a team meeting bc he went home for a birthday, or something like that. Josh Buss repeatedly called him out for it on the good ol twitter. Buss is clearly in the right, but it's a move you handle in "private". Don't put that out in the public sphere.

It's just a bad look all around, imo.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

It’s a Twitter bro-down. Buss called Sneed “bud”, then Sneed called Buss “bro”. That’s how you tell it’s pretty darn serious. Seriously though didn’t Hauck give the team instructions to stay off social media?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

I'm also interested to see what Hero has to say, but if you are going on pure star rating, MSU has a top 5 class nationally, pretty hard to argue. And that doesn't even include the transfers.

Plus Montana probably more than any other state, as has been discussed here at length, is under-recruited and under-represented on these sites. We all know that if some of the MT players each year were in bigger markets, they'd have 2-3 stars.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am

Four (1)
Jonsen

Three (11)
Alleyne
Bauman
Gibson
Gibson
Ifanse
Long
Metcalf
Natee
Putney
Sterk
White

Two (4)
Cauley
Duru
Filer III
Williams

You can argue that some shouldn’t be this high and that others should be higher. This is just what various rating companies say. On average only 6-7 players per class end up starting on offense/defense. Add another 3-4 for special teams/situational packages and you’re up to about 10-11.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

iaafan wrote:Four (1)
Jonsen

Three (11)
Alleyne
Bauman
Gibson
Gibson
Ifanse
Long
Metcalf
Natee
Putney
Sterk
White

Two (4)
Cauley
Duru
Filer III
Williams

You can argue that some shouldn’t be this high and that others should be higher. This is just what various rating companies say. On average only 6-7 players per class end up starting on offense/defense. Add another 3-4 for special teams/situational packages and you’re up to about 10-11.
Alleyne isn't officially part of the team yet though he is enrolled as a student at MSU. Needs to get some classes completed before he can be officially added to the team from what I hear.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am

That’s true. I’m just assuming he’ll make it. Seems more likely than not.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

iaafan wrote:That’s true. I’m just assuming he’ll make it. Seems more likely than not.
Agreed. Especially since he's a safety!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:That’s true. I’m just assuming he’ll make it. Seems more likely than not.
Agreed. Especially since he's a safety!
Talking with one of the coaches......... he made it sound like this guy could be pretty special. (assuming he qualifies with classes an stuff)

FTG- GO CATS GO!