2019 MSU Recruiting (37 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 MSU Recruiting (30 Signees)

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:12 am
At least seven, possibly eight, 3-star and five 2-star players. Also, the no. 1 player from Vim’s Montana recruits list and the no. 1 player from my most-likely-to-succeed-from-Montana list.

This is the fourth straight year that MSU has totaled 30 (7x3 + 5x2 = 31) or more stars. Prior to that MSU had never topped 20. The total number of stars over the past four years is more than MSU has gotten since star ratings first came out.
I get the general sentiment, I do think a higher level of athlete has been recruited the last few years here, which is great.

I also don’t put a ton of stock into those ratings. Last year alone, we had 9 of those stars (Long, White, Putney) not even make it to fall camp. And 6 more of those stars (Metcalf, Duru) are gone already, one year later.

I still think last years class was very solid, but it lost some of its “shine” pretty quickly.
Even if you remove those five players MSU still had a 38 star class. The most since Choate’s been here. The team has improved incrementally each year record-wise and via the eye test. You can attribute that to a lot of things, including recruiting.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:52 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:30 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 am
Obviously star ratings don’t guarantee success, but the chances of star rated players contributing is greater than unrated players. Not that unrated players can’t make big contributions. They can and do, but the odds are less on the whole.
I don't agree.

Montana players don't get stars because of where we are located. Idaho often sees the same thing. I've seen us get 2-3* guys from other states that quite honestly wouldn't have been recruited had they played in Montana. They were awful. I'm not going to name names, but trust me, their teammates didn't care about their stars.

Stars are for fans. Stars don't mean ****** once the guys get to campus.

Watch the film. Film will always, always, always matter more than stars. And honestly, these companies just throw out 3* rankings like candy. Oh, you got a scholarship offer from anybody and a letter from a P5 and went to a USC camp? 3 stars! Honestly, look at how these kids rankings change after they get scholarship offers. If you really want to paper scout, scout off of scholarship offers. It's still lacking, but it's better than freaking stars.
Stats are also good/bad indicator. A lot of players rack up big numbers vs lousy teams. Videos can be deceptive as players are making nice looking plays vs lousy teams. The people doing the star ratings do a pretty good job all things considered. They’re gonna miss on players. That’s inevitable. Looking back on MSU they’re more often on than not. If a player simply doesn’t show up or quits, you can’t really fault them. I don’t think they personally interview them or check their academic records and factor that into their ratings.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:05 am

Identifying talent, and developing that talent is the "secret sauce" in college athletics. The X's and O's are relatively easy - adapting those X's and O's to your teams talent set is difficult.

As the old cliche goes, "It's not the players that you don't get that hurt you, it's the players you do get that aren't what you think they are."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am

Vim- would you mind putting the star ratings next to each players name on the front page (where applicable)?

I completely understand and agree that star ratings, Or the lack thereof, don’t mean anything (generally speaking).... but I would still be curious to see who is a 2 or 3 star... or even who did NOT get a star rating (example- troy andersen, hahahaha).... it’s interesting to see

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am

Stats are also good/bad indicator. A lot of players rack up big numbers vs lousy teams. Videos can be deceptive as players are making nice looking plays vs lousy teams. The people doing the star ratings do a pretty good job all things considered. They’re gonna miss on players. That’s inevitable. Looking back on MSU they’re more often on than not. If a player simply doesn’t show up or quits, you can’t really fault them. I don’t think they personally interview them or check their academic records and factor that into their ratings.
Tom brings up some excellent points here.

Stats always should be researched with context and perspective. What was the offensive scheme? What was the level of play? Was the production below average, normal, or above average compared to prior years? How many games did the kid play (injuries, etc)?

When watching a players highlight, its good to remember the kid is trying to get recruited so he's usually (or at least should) showing his best plays. If you want a broader picture, try to watch what I call the "non-highlight" clips. You actually might see some good play above and beyond what the player showed (good blocking, effort away from the play, attitude, technique, consistency) or you might see a side of the player that doesn't make him appear like a well-rounded recruit.

When I do my Top 50, the major factors that don't come into my equation are academic records (unless they post them somewhere) and off-field behavior (can sometimes be assumed based on film). And I really don't believe that is my place. I'm simply just trying to give my opinion on who would make a good college football player out of Montana. Its 100% a projection of their future talent.

Hero Sports does their ranking based off recruiting site star-ratings which are based on offers for the vast majority. I realize its nearly impossible to go through a bunch of film and stats for all of the FCS kids being recruited. I guess I just think its a flawed system to rank kids based off who is the most "wanted by the bigger programs." But then if you throw a kid from Montana in there, other fanbases will shout back by saying, "Why is our 3-star recruit who had 25 offers not in your ranking?" What bothers me is when the rating doesn't match up to what I see on tape. Again, all my opinion but I didn't believe a few recruits from last year's recruiting class deserved a 3-star rating.

I think the recruiting sites do a decent job overall...of collecting data. But they need to find another way to add more context and perspective to a recruit instead of just simply saying "he's a 3-star and has all of these offers."

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 am

The recruiting services are far from perfect. But it’s a very difficult task to be able to rate players and be correct much more than 50% of the time. Just look at the coaches, who are the experts. They blow it a lot too. Even in The NFL. Coaches are far from perfect as well. I have a hard time bashing the recruiting services when the top colleges pick duds all the time.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am
Vim- would you mind putting the star ratings next to each players name on the front page (where applicable)?

I completely understand and agree that star ratings, Or the lack thereof, don’t mean anything (generally speaking).... but I would still be curious to see who is a 2 or 3 star... or even who did NOT get a star rating (example- troy andersen, hahahaha).... it’s interesting to see
Star Recruits
Amandre Williams (University of Washington) - DE/LB - 6'2", 225 lbs. - Covington, WA (3-star in 2016)
Jamahd Monroe (Lincoln) - WR - 6'1", 180 lbs. - San Diego, CA (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Jaden Smith (Kennedale) - WR - 6'6", 186 lbs. - Kennedale, TX (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Jacob Kettels (Lynden) - OL - 6'5", 280 lbs. - Lynden, WA (3-star - 247Sports)
Eric Zambrano (Upland) - WR/DB - 6'3", 195 lbs. - Upland, CA (3-star - 247Sports)
Dom Brown (Oxnard) - CB - 6'3", 185 lbs. - Oxnard, CA (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Elijah King (Cosumnes Oaks) - ATH - 5'11", 170 lbs. - Elk Grove, CA (2-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Faleatua Areta (Kent-Meridian) - DT - 6'3", 290 lbs. - Kent, WA (2-star - 247Sports)
Cole Oster (Castle View) - LB - 6'1", 210 lbs. - Castle Rock, CO (2-star - 247Sports)
Jack Vering (Capital) - OL - 6'6", 250 lbs. - Boise, ID (2-star - 247Sports)
DeMareus Hosey (Northwest) - RB - 6'0", 190 lbs. - Fort Worth, TX (2-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Ryan Lonergan (Bozeman) - TE - 6'4", 220 lbs. - Bozeman, MT (2-star - 247Sports)

No-star Recruits
Jaharie Martin (Lakeland) - LB - 6'1", 230 lbs. - Lakeland, FL
Tyler Bohannon (Grant Union) - WR/DB - 6'1", 185 lbs. - Sacramento, CA
Hudson Klundt (Twin Falls) - OL - 6'4", 275 lbs. - Twin Falls, ID
Anthony Session II (Vista Murrieta) - OL - 6'4", 275 lbs. - Murrieta, CA
Blake Flovin (Foothill College) - LB - 6'2", 240 lbs. - San Jose, CA
Blake Schmidt (Monte Vista) - DL - 6'3", 250 lbs. - Spring Valley, CA
Jack Galt (White Sulphur Springs) - TE - 6'1", 220 lbs. - White Sulphur Springs, MT
Brock Spiegelberg (Kelly Walsh) - RB/LB - 6'0", 205 lbs. - Casper, WY
Justus Perkins (Bozeman) - OL - 6'1", 240 lbs. - Bozeman, MT
Rylan Ortt (Missoula Sentinel) - QB/ATH - 6'2", 185 lbs. - Missoula, MT
Logan Gilliard (Bigfork) - TE/DE - 6'3", 200 lbs. - Bigfork, MT
Ethan Bullock (Sweet Grass) - TE/DE - 6'6", 220 lbs. - Big Timber, MT
Marcus Wehr (Billings Central) - DL - 6'3", 225 lbs. - Billings, MT
Alex Johnson (Helena High) - LB/S - 6'2", 185 lbs. - Helena, MT
Tanner Trafton (Fergus) - WR - 6'5", 190 lbs. - Lewistown, MT
Joe Olson (Bozeman) - RB - 6'0", 195 lbs. - Bozeman, MT
Holden Sampson (Helena High) - OL - 6'3", 250 lbs. - Helena, MT
Last edited by VimSince03 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm

thanks vim.

surprised that blake Schmidt and Jaharie Martin did not get any star rankings...

Also, if a MT kid got a 2 star (Lonergan)… that usually means that he would have been like a 4 star if he was from any other state... ha.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Brown is a 247 3-star

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Brown is a 247 3-star
My bad. I used the 247Composite which takes into account all recruiting sites. I adjusted.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am

Star Recruits
Amandre Williams (University of Washington) - DE/LB - 6'2", 225 lbs. - Covington, WA (3-star in 2016)
Jamahd Monroe (Lincoln) - WR - 6'1", 180 lbs. - San Diego, CA (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Jaden Smith (Kennedale) - WR - 6'6", 186 lbs. - Kennedale, TX (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Jacob Kettels (Lynden) - OL - 6'5", 280 lbs. - Lynden, WA (3-star - 247Sports)
Eric Zambrano (Upland) - WR/DB - 6'3", 195 lbs. - Upland, CA (3-star - 247Sports)
Dom Brown (Oxnard) - CB - 6'3", 185 lbs. - Oxnard, CA (3-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Elijah King (Cosumnes Oaks) - ATH - 5'11", 170 lbs. - Elk Grove, CA (2-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Faleatua Areta (Kent-Meridian) - DT - 6'3", 290 lbs. - Kent, WA (2-star - 247Sports)
Cole Oster (Castle View) - LB - 6'1", 210 lbs. - Castle Rock, CO (2-star - 247Sports)
Jack Vering (Capital) - OL - 6'6", 250 lbs. - Boise, ID (2-star - 247Sports)
DeMareus Hosey (Northwest) - RB - 6'0", 190 lbs. - Fort Worth, TX (2-star - 247Sports; 2-star - Rivals)
Ryan Lonergan (Bozeman) - TE - 6'4", 220 lbs. - Bozeman, MT (2-star - 247Sports)

No-star Recruits
Jaharie Martin (Lakeland) - LB - 6'1", 230 lbs. - Lakeland, FL
Tyler Bohannon (Grant Union) - WR/DB - 6'1", 185 lbs. - Sacramento, CA
Hudson Klundt (Twin Falls) - OL - 6'4", 275 lbs. - Twin Falls, ID
Anthony Session II (Vista Murrieta) - OL - 6'4", 275 lbs. - Murrieta, CA
Blake Schmidt (Monte Vista) - DL - 6'3", 250 lbs. - Spring Valley, CA
Jack Galt (White Sulphur Springs) - TE - 6'1", 220 lbs. - White Sulphur Springs, MT
Brock Spiegelberg (Kelly Walsh) - RB/LB - 6'0", 205 lbs. - Casper, WY
Justus Perkins (Bozeman) - OL - 6'1", 240 lbs. - Bozeman, MT
Rylan Ortt (Missoula Sentinel) - QB/ATH - 6'2", 185 lbs. - Missoula, MT
Logan Gilliard (Bigfork) - TE/DE - 6'3", 200 lbs. - Bigfork, MT
Ethan Bullock (Sweet Grass) - TE/DE - 6'6", 220 lbs. - Big Timber, MT
Marcus Wehr (Billings Central) - DL - 6'3", 225 lbs. - Billings, MT
Alex Johnson (Helena High) - LB/S - 6'2", 185 lbs. - Helena, MT
Tanner Trafton (Fergus) - WR - 6'5", 190 lbs. - Lewistown, MT
Joe Olson (Bozeman) - RB - 6'0", 195 lbs. - Bozeman, MT
Holden Sampson (Helena High) - OL - 6'3", 250 lbs. - Helena, MT
This class is exciting! Great size across the board.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Schmidt was referred to as a 3-star by the Makasi all star game. Not sure what site they’re sourcing.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 pm

By the way, I elect @iaafan to take over the 2020 MSU Recruiting board or whoever wants to step up. I feel like I didn't do it justice this year as I put more effort into the Montana Recruits page. I also think my bias towards hating star ratings and how they get produced doesn't make me the right guy to run the page. Going forward, I'm going to put my efforts 100% into the Montana Recruits and will add thoughts/insights/posts to the MSU Recruiting page throughout the year.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
At least seven, possibly eight, 3-star and five 2-star players. Also, the no. 1 player from Vim’s Montana recruits list and the no. 1 player from my most-likely-to-succeed-from-Montana list.

This is the fourth straight year that MSU has totaled 30 (7x3 + 5x2 = 31) or more stars. Prior to that MSU had never topped 20. The total number of stars over the past four years is more than MSU has gotten since star ratings first came out.
I get the general sentiment, I do think a higher level of athlete has been recruited the last few years here, which is great.

I also don’t put a ton of stock into those ratings. Last year alone, we had 9 of those stars (Long, White, Putney) not even make it to fall camp. And 6 more of those stars (Metcalf, Duru) are gone already, one year later.

I still think last years class was very solid, but it lost some of its “shine” pretty quickly.
Even if you remove those five players MSU still had a 38 star class. The most since Choate’s been here. The team has improved incrementally each year record-wise and via the eye test. You can attribute that to a lot of things, including recruiting.
Catsrgood made a valid point that 15 of those “stars” are already gone. In fact another 9 on top of that with the FBS transfers who are no longer around (Sparaco, Natee, and Barkley). That’s a lot of star power that has moved on from that class.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Catsrgood made a valid point that 15 of those “stars” are already gone. In fact another 9 on top of that with the FBS transfers who are no longer around (Sparaco, Natee, and Barkley). That’s a lot of star power that has moved on from that class.
True, but we got little to no production from all those stars. Now some of them would have contributed down the road but not all of them as we learn every year. The main thing is we raplaced them with equal and in some cases greater talent.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:15 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

True, but we got little to no production from all those stars. Now some of them would have contributed down the road but not all of them as we learn every year. The main thing is we raplaced them with equal and in some cases greater talent.
MSU got great production from star-rated players in last year’s class. Natee, Sterk, Allenye, Ifanse were 3 stars, Jonsen was a 4 star, Filer and Williams were 2 stars.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:51 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:15 pm
gtapp wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

MSU got great production from star-rated players in last year’s class. Natee, Sterk, Allenye, Ifanse were 3 stars, Jonsen was a 4 star, Filer and Williams were 2 stars.
Yes we did. I was referring to the players that left the program the last few months which I beieve grizaddict was also referring too!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I’m not sure what his point is. It is a lot of star power, but there was still a ton left. Three that left never arrived. It isn’t like they came to MSU, kicked ass and then left. That’d be worrisome maybe.

My point would be that the more good players you bring in, the more good players you lose. It seems to be a good strategy.

toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

I keep thinking about what Zach Wright and Alex Neale said at the BSC Media days. If you don’t fit in, you won’t be here very long. I’m sure I didn’t quote that exactly, that was the gist of it. I’m ok with these guys being gone. Choate seems to be ok with it too (mildly irritated by press conference appearances though). If they’re not fitting into the family then I agree it should be acceptable that they’re not here anymore. Selfish players cost us wins in my opinion.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm
I keep thinking about what Zach Wright and Alex Neale said at the BSC Media days. If you don’t fit in, you won’t be here very long. I’m sure I didn’t quote that exactly, that was the gist of it. I’m ok with these guys being gone. Choate seems to be ok with it too (mildly irritated by press conference appearances though). If they’re not fitting into the family then I agree it should be acceptable that they’re not here anymore. Selfish players cost us wins in my opinion.
BINGO...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.