2019 MSU Recruiting (37 Signees)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 MSU Recruiting (30 Signees)

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:12 am
At least seven, possibly eight, 3-star and five 2-star players. Also, the no. 1 player from Vim’s Montana recruits list and the no. 1 player from my most-likely-to-succeed-from-Montana list.

This is the fourth straight year that MSU has totaled 30 (7x3 + 5x2 = 31) or more stars. Prior to that MSU had never topped 20. The total number of stars over the past four years is more than MSU has gotten since star ratings first came out.
I get the general sentiment, I do think a higher level of athlete has been recruited the last few years here, which is great.

I also don’t put a ton of stock into those ratings. Last year alone, we had 9 of those stars (Long, White, Putney) not even make it to fall camp. And 6 more of those stars (Metcalf, Duru) are gone already, one year later.

I still think last years class was very solid, but it lost some of its “shine” pretty quickly.
Even if you remove those five players MSU still had a 38 star class. The most since Choate’s been here. The team has improved incrementally each year record-wise and via the eye test. You can attribute that to a lot of things, including recruiting.
Catsrgood made a valid point that 15 of those “stars” are already gone. In fact another 9 on top of that with the FBS transfers who are no longer around (Sparaco, Natee, and Barkley). That’s a lot of star power that has moved on from that class.
I’m not sure what his point is. It is a lot of star power, but there was still a ton left. Three that left never arrived. It isn’t like they came to MSU, kicked ass and then left. That’d be worrisome maybe.

My point would be that the more good players you bring in, the more good players you lose. It seems to be a good strategy.
GrizAgenda is just upset that their national signing day pretty much consisted of kickers😳

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
At least seven, possibly eight, 3-star and five 2-star players. Also, the no. 1 player from Vim’s Montana recruits list and the no. 1 player from my most-likely-to-succeed-from-Montana list.

This is the fourth straight year that MSU has totaled 30 (7x3 + 5x2 = 31) or more stars. Prior to that MSU had never topped 20. The total number of stars over the past four years is more than MSU has gotten since star ratings first came out.
I get the general sentiment, I do think a higher level of athlete has been recruited the last few years here, which is great.

I also don’t put a ton of stock into those ratings. Last year alone, we had 9 of those stars (Long, White, Putney) not even make it to fall camp. And 6 more of those stars (Metcalf, Duru) are gone already, one year later.

I still think last years class was very solid, but it lost some of its “shine” pretty quickly.
Even if you remove those five players MSU still had a 38 star class. The most since Choate’s been here. The team has improved incrementally each year record-wise and via the eye test. You can attribute that to a lot of things, including recruiting.
Catsrgood made a valid point that 15 of those “stars” are already gone. In fact another 9 on top of that with the FBS transfers who are no longer around (Sparaco, Natee, and Barkley). That’s a lot of star power that has moved on from that class.
I’m not sure what his point is. It is a lot of star power, but there was still a ton left. Three that left never arrived. It isn’t like they came to MSU, kicked ass and then left. That’d be worrisome maybe.

My point would be that the more good players you bring in, the more good players you lose. It seems to be a good strategy.
GrizAgenda is just upset that their national signing day pretty much consisted of kickers😳
Haven't even looked. What did their LOI day look like?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am

RickRund wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

A total of 3 signed. All walk ons and two are kickers.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Thanks... Really a scary LOI day... Will add that maybe they thought with "a better kicker" they would have beat the CATS...

I really don't like going on egriz. We sometimes have our own issues here but that place is a mess. And yes, it is a rival spot so we will have differing views, BUT WOW.

Thought I had seen posts where all their signings had been done several months ago.

msubobcats@outlook.com

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 am
RickRund wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Thanks... Really a scary LOI day... Will add that maybe they thought with "a better kicker" they would have beat the CATS...

I really don't like going on egriz. We sometimes have our own issues here but that place is a mess. And yes, it is a rival spot so we will have differing views, BUT WOW.

Thought I had seen posts where all their signings had been done several months ago.
They did sign like 20+ guys in the early period. I am really just making fun of GrizAgenda. His posts are always so passive aggressive. Tries to make it look like he is just making a casual comment when there is always his hidden GrizAgenda...😂😂😂. I couldn’t help myself. His recent post is a great example. In the meantime, his Griz have lost at least 8 players, some who are regular contributors. They also go into next season with close to 50 freshman.

Egriz is a cesspool. I will check it out on occasion to see what is happening with their team, but it is hard to stomach.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 pm

I wonder how long it will take before someone schools him on this mistake. Look at the name on your jersey! :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 pm
I wonder how long it will take before someone schools him on this mistake. Look at the name on your jersey! :D

Ouch - still up:( (But University of Montana State)
Hope his academic skills are better than this.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Whoops!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 pm

So VIM - this debate seems to come up every recruiting season about the amount of D1 talent available in MT. You do great research and invest tons of time tracking all these MT recruits and it's much appreciated! I'm not asking you to do additional research here that I could do myself if I got motivated enough but it seems as if it would be pretty easy to look at the last ten years or so and count how many MT football players had successful FCS (or FBS) careers? You'd have to throw in some parameter there about what defines "successful" but wouldn't necessarily have to be a four year starter or anything obviously. Probably something like, did they stay on the team through graduation, or started at one point but got injured, etc. Again, without doing a bunch of research what is your gut feeling for the average number of legit D1 recruits in MT in a given year... five? Ten?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 pm
So VIM - this debate seems to come up every recruiting season about the amount of D1 talent available in MT. You do great research and invest tons of time tracking all these MT recruits and it's much appreciated! I'm not asking you to do additional research here that I could do myself if I got motivated enough but it seems as if it would be pretty easy to look at the last ten years or so and count how many MT football players had successful FCS (or FBS) careers? You'd have to throw in some parameter there about what defines "successful" but wouldn't necessarily have to be a four year starter or anything obviously. Probably something like, did they stay on the team through graduation, or started at one point but got injured, etc. Again, without doing a bunch of research what is your gut feeling for the average number of legit D1 recruits in MT in a given year... five? Ten?
Going back to 2012, the number of Montana football players to have impactful D1 (FCS/FBS) careers is about 10-12 per class. Some highly sought after recruits wash out at the FCS level but a random NAIA recruit comes out of nowhere with an All-American career at the NAIA level (which equates to starter potential/rotational depth at the FCS level). Cain Boschee (Kalispell Glacier) and Nolan Saracini (Billings Senior) are examples of that success. Anyway, I consider a recruit to have an impact career at the FCS level by either starting or being steady contributor through rotational depth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

VIM, you still have one player listed as a potential recruit (Andrew Boyle). What does that mean?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm

gtapp wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm
VIM, you still have one player listed as a potential recruit (Andrew Boyle). What does that mean?
Means he came on a visit and hasn't signed anywhere yet. Andrew is a potential kicker/punter so I'm assuming we still have interest.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
gtapp wrote:
Means he came on a visit and hasn't signed anywhere yet. Andrew is a potential kicker/punter so I'm assuming we still have interest.
And having a kicker that played safety is good as our kickers always seem to get some tackles...
And having a punter that played QB, well opens up the 4th and short run/pass options.
And he is both.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And having a kicker that played safety is good as our kickers always seem to get some tackles...
And having a punter that played QB, well opens up the 4th and short run/pass options.
And he is both.
Also a 4.5 GPA and a 1440 SAT guy. Wouldn't have to spend any football money on him, I wouldn't think. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding that process. I never had the problem of my academic and athletic scholarships overlapping.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And he is both.
Also a 4.5 GPA and a 1440 SAT guy. Wouldn't have to spend any football money on him, I wouldn't think. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding that process. I never had the problem of my academic and athletic scholarships overlapping.
That’s not allowed.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And he is both.
That’s not allowed.
Makes sense...pretty easy to beat the system that way. But still, always good to have a good athlete with good grades and presumably good character.

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm
iaafan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And he is both.
That’s not allowed.
Makes sense...pretty easy to beat the system that way. But still, always good to have a good athlete with good grades and presumably good character.
Andrew is looking for a school, he will be able to play QB at.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 pm

iaafan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And he is both.
That’s not allowed.
Pretty positive it is.

There's a number of kids on the football team on academic scholarship if I remember correctly.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 pm
iaafan wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
And he is both.
That’s not allowed.
Pretty positive it is.

There's a number of kids on the football team on academic scholarship if I remember correctly.
There are, but it doesn’t mean you can still use your athletic scholarship money on an additional player. Fcs gets 63 scholarships to split up amongst 85 players. You don’t get extra players because you’re giving academic scholarships.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Pell grants and the ncaa student assistance fund are two ways to “add” money to offset your athletic funding and increase your “paid” rostered players. The most you can get from a Pell is about $6,000/year.

Some fcs players get a portion of their funding split between Pell and their scholarship. If it’s 75/25, then the player is only assigned 75% of an athletic scholarship.